FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shakespeare

alibadman
LOL hi guys soon i got a pesentation for English about shakespeare
well my part is about when he died and why
and about a stupid tragedy called Othello xD

maybe you guys have something for me?
information tips or so xD

-greetzz ME- Laughing
WhistleTurning
Search the web for "The Bard of Avon" or goto the Stratford-on-Avon web site in the uk for all the info you need on his nibs. Try this link

http://www.stratford-upon-avon.co.uk/static_478.htm

or perhaps this one

http://www.shakespeare.org.uk/

plenty of others you could also visit to get background knowledge. On the play Othello then a rather academic site can be found at :-

http://www.bl.uk/treasures/shakespeare/othello.html

Good hunting
Afaceinthematrix
ahhh! we're going shakespeare in my english class right now.... we're reading hamlet and that's my least favorite play out of all of his boring plays. i'm not a huge shakespeare fan.
_moo_
I'm doing Macbeth at the moemnt, and did Julias Ceaser a few years ago.

Now don't get me wrong, I like his stories, but the language in it, just puts me right off.

For your report alibadman, just do some research Wikipedia, library, internet and read Othello. And most editions of his plays have some great notes with them, take a read through that and put it into your own words. If this is for school, LEARN SIGNIFICANT QUOTES! Won't get much marks without 'em.

Good Luck! Cool
kuhdorf
romeo und julia is a very good story from shakespeare =)

i like that kind of storys
tpdreams
hmmm, do you guys think he's a bit overrated?

I mean, yeah, he's got nice stories, and entertained the masses. But really, when you take a course called, "Major British Writers" is 90% Shakespeare, I'd have to wonder.
liljp617
tpdreams wrote:

I mean, yeah, he's got nice stories, and entertained the masses. But really, when you take a course called, "Major British Writers" is 90% Shakespeare, I'd have to wonder.

Smile Those who entertain the masses with simplicity are the most successful and respected. It's a universal message that even applies to today.

And yes, he is very overrated. English in and of itself is quite overrated. I like what it offers, but people put too much emphasis on just random people's observations of the world.
AftershockVibe
A major problem with the teaching of Shakespeare is that these stories were intended to be plays, not read from the page. Especially at this level, you will miss SO much that's going on unless you see it performed.
tpdreams
Quote:
Especially at this level, you will miss SO much that's going on unless you see it performed.

Haha, I agree. I only remember R+J, and that's becuase we watched a movie of the performance.
takashiro
Shakespeare is really famous all around the world. To everyone's pity, because of Shakespeare's ancient English even local Englishmen and Englishwomen can not understand the joke Shakespeare wrote. Sad But his script and article is wonderful indeed. Very Happy
deanhills
I have never got the point of why students all over the world have to be indoctrinated with Shakespeare. Some of it is entertaining. However surely new literary works have been produced that are equal if not much better than that by Shakespeare. I have never got the point of the over-emphasis of Shakespeare at school.

To be honest, it was the over-teaching of Shakespeare at school that put me off Shakespeare, and it was only when I was out of school, and was able to attend shows and films that its true art penetrated. Think there needs to be a greater variety and balance in English literature teaching.
Poetsunited
It is said that shakespeare wasn't one person, but it was a group of writers who wrote under the name ShakeSpeare... Legends like these ruin the reputation and makes u less impressed when u look at his bibliography :p

They say the same about Homer so i supose its prolly a lot of Bs
EyesBlu
tpdreams wrote:

Shakespeare is respected more for his prose than his story telling, and yes I think he is a little bit over rated.