FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Concept for a new fantasy/comedy novel; would you read it?

A decent idea?
It'll be AWSOME!
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
It's okay, but it'll be hard to get it published.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Good luck, you're going to need it.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Give up now, before wasting more effort.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Look in awe at my button clicking skills!
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

ocalhoun
I'm working on a new novel; I haven't gotten any further than just a list of characters and half an outline yet, though. (I begin to realize the scale of such a project when half the outline reaches a length of 11 pages)

It is to be a comedic fantasy novel; kind of like lord of the rings crossed with hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Another thing that makes it rather unique is that it will be done from the perspective of a dwarf, a she-dwarf at that. (Which, to my knowledge has never been done before)

Two questions:
1: Would you read it?
2: Do you know of any other books like it?

Any other comments are appreciated too, of course.
Skkye_Blossom
I've never heard of any books like that. And yes, I would read it, as long as it is not a direct cross and it has some original material. Which I'm sure it will.

If you want more detailed reasons why I would or would not read it, more plot might be helpful.

Lol, you have guts, I would never even attempt to write a novel Wink
Nameless
FYI, comedic fantasy novels have kind of been done before. (No, really. Ever heard of Discworld?) Many times, and although I can't think of one off the top of my head, very probably from the POV of a female dwarf.

Asking if I'd read it would be like asking if I'd read a sci-fi novel with a robot as the protagonist, or a romance novel with a love triangle. It would kind of depend on the quality of writing.

What's important isn't that your novel is 'unique' or 'original' (largely because that's not going to happen), but that it's written well.
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:

What's important isn't that your novel is 'unique' or 'original' (largely because that's not going to happen), but that it's written well.

True, but I can't ask for your help in that. Mostly what I'm doing here is getting your help on the initial concept, and finding out what else like it is out there. I'm only half-way through making an extremely rough outline of the plot so far. (being distracted by other, short-term projects)

This is just one of several books I'm thinking of, and probably the worst, to put it bluntly.