FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favourite book as a child?

divya
Hi,

What was your best read, when you were little?

Mine was all the adorable 'Just William' books, Enid Blyton's Famous Five and Five Find-Outers (though I detested Secret Seven are their boring meetings!).
And oh, her Enchanted Tree series, and her boarding school series'...
David_Pardy
Hmmm... It's hard to really recall what I read the most as I did a LOT of reading:

Enid Blyton's Brer Rabbit, Enchanted Tree, Wishing Chair, etc...

W. E. Johns' Biggles series (mostly the WW1 books, but eventually got right into all the non-war adventures)

Roald Dahl - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, George's Marvellous Medicine, James and the Giant Peach, Boy, Going Solo, Esio Trot, The Twits, The Witches

It's really hard to pick. I think I probably read more Enid Blyton than any of the others, and then it becomes a toss-up between the Brer Rabbit and Enchanted Tree stories.

Hmmm....

*searches for eBooks*
TurtleShell
Hmmm...favorite books as a kid...

Wait Till Helen Comes, by Mary Downing Hahn
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, by...Mildred Delois Taylor
There's a Wocket in My Pocket, Dr Suess
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (I, II, and III!), Alvin Schwartz
The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy, Jane Thayer
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, Robert C. O'Brien
Where the Sidewalk Ends, Shel Silverstein
The Polk Street Kids series, Patricia Reilly Giff
Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery

oh, um...what was that book,...True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Avi (that's a great one!)
divya
Oh yes...
Anne Of green Gables...
..oh wow!
TurtleShell
who could forget Anne with an e?
Dean_The_Great
I love "Where the Red Fern Grows" as well as "Johnathan Livinston Seagull". I also read a book called "The Dragon Knight" when I was younger that was truly excellent and I re-read the whole series just a couple years ago.

And of course, the old favourite "Chronicles of Narnia". I read the whole series of that when I was younger and it was a blast.
KatanaSky
divya wrote:
Hi,

When I first read your question three books came into mind:

1) Small Pig
...a story about a pig who left the farm to seek a nice soft pool of mud. He ended up in the city and he thought he found mud but he ended up getting stuck cement. (hey.... as a second grader that story line was entertaining!)

2) The Giving Tree
I think everyone has read this one once in their lifetime, if not you should despite the fact that it's a picture book. ...a great story about a boy who became best friends with this tree and the tree provided the boy with what he needed.

3) Harold and the Purple Crayon
I remember this book... Harold drew everything he needed/wanted with his purple crayon.

ah... memories... those were the days...
endless
all the disneey books ^^
PennyLane
I always liked those Richard Scary books. And offcourse Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton (yes, even in Belgium these were famous books Smile)
There were also this Swedish books I liked about an old men and his cat, but I can't remember his name anymore...
frih
divya wrote:
Hi,

Mine was all the adorable 'Just William' books, Enid Blyton's Famous Five and Five Find-Outers (though I detested Secret Seven are their boring meetings!).
And oh, her Enchanted Tree series, and her boarding school series'...

my school's ATLAS book....i love to study about different country, thier geography,etc...
ddukki
Louis Sachar's Westside School is Falling Down. I read it over and over again. It was a great book and it captured my imagination like no other book has since. Except for maybe Redwall. I read the entire series (at least for that time) in second grade. Needless to say, I was the best / fastest reader in the second grade.
roninmedia
When I was little, I loved the series of golden border books. I forgot the name of the series, but they included Disney related movies such as the Lion King or educational topics such as Dinosaurs. I had about ten books of the series where there are probably over 60 or 70 tota.

Other novels I liked were:

The Westing Game - Seriously a great follow-along mystery book with a large and quirky cast that made the entire story flow along well. It also had a fair amount of twists, but not too many.

Alvin's Secret Code - Another great along adventure book with some codes in the novel that you could solve. The reason I remember this book is when I read it, I went through that phase in childhood where you wanted to build forts, use walkie-talkies and use secret codes and ciphers.
flowerpower
I loved Enid Blyton's books when I was a kid - her enchanting world's of trolls, fairies always made me wonder. Famous Five series were my bedtime reading books. Tintin comics were really entertaining. I love a lot of comics when I was little - garfield, Les 4 As, Picsou & co. etc. Christopher Pike's books were also my favourites (or any other horror books in fact). There are also Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, fairy tales (sweet stories for little girls Very Happy ) that I just loved. Well, I think that there were many more but it's a bit hard to recall... but I was and is still a bookworm.
Crazy_Canuck
KatanaSky wrote:
divya wrote:
Hi,

2) The Giving Tree
I think everyone has read this one once in their lifetime, if not you should despite the fact that it's a picture book. ...a great story about a boy who became best friends with this tree and the tree provided the boy with what he needed.

The Giving Tree is one of my favourite books of all time. It is so beautiful, and always makes me cry.

My favourite book as a child was Alice In Wonderland, or I suppose more properly "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." It continues to be a favourite to this day.

I also loved Edward Lear's poetry ... The Owl And The Pussycat comes to mind. I loved the sound of it, and Seuss.

These are all the books that I give my nieces to this day, but they don't seem to enjoy them as I did. They are more into webkins and DVDs and computer games. It makes me sad.
Afaceinthematrix
I liked The Chronicles of Narnia and later in years Harry Potter.
ddukki
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I liked The Chronicles of Narnia and later in years Harry Potter.
I actually never read the Narnia books until just this year. Of course, I'd seen the old version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but that doesn't even do the book justice (and neither does the new one, by the way). They're so simple in their execution, but then are so vast in the realm of their stories. I have to say, even at the tender age of 19, I find them better books than most novels written today.
KatanaSky
I used to be REALLY into the Choose Your Own Adventure Books - mostly written in 2nd Person P.O.V. The way the books were set up... the reader is able to choose what happened next and what I really liked... I was able to go back to the beginning and see what would happen if I chose something different. There was always more than one ending.
jcvincent75
I really don't have a favorite book. I like any story that catches my attention.

As a child I love reading the fairy tale books that are free each time you purchase a can of milk. I won't say the name of the milk though (LOL). I read almost all of the stories available in that promo. That was back when I was about 6-8 years old.

When I was in primary school, I was 9 back then. I decided to borrow some books in the library mostly fairy tales and adventures. Choose Your Own Adventure is a good choice. I love to read books especially on a rainy day. It makes my imagination fly out of the window of our ancestral house in the province.

In high school, I still enjoy adventure books (Not much of a fairy tale fan anymore that time).

I'm 22 years old now and I still love books that tells a great adventure.

Maybe that's the reason why I love RPG games.

Cheers!
flowerpower
I don't have one single favourite book or author as a child but I remember that I loved all kind of fairy tales, The Famous Five, other books by Enid Blyton, comics such as Tintin, Les 4 As, among others. What I loved and still love in books is adventure, humour, a zest of romance, wittiness and the like.
Lily
I think it was "How I survival meself" from Francine Oomen.
zeroburnrox
I really don't have a favorite book. I like any story that catches my attention.

As a child I love reading the fairy tale books that are free each time you purchase a can of milk. I won't say the name of the milk though (LOL). I read almost all of the stories available in that promo. That was back when I was about 6-8 years old.

When I was in primary school, I was 9 back then. I decided to borrow some books in the library mostly fairy tales and adventures. Choose Your Own Adventure is a good choice. I love to read books especially on a rainy day. It makes my imagination fly out of the window of our ancestral house in the province.

In high school, I still enjoy adventure books (Not much of a fairy tale fan anymore that time).

I'm 22 years old now and I still love books that tells a great adventure.

Maybe that's the reason why I love RPG games.

Cheers!
toadinhishole
Where the Wild things live.
And they're making it into a film!
Libby
I loved the Oz books by L. Frank Baum. I read a few of them over and over, especially Ozma of Oz and the Marvelous Land of Oz.

I also loved A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

And then I was really into the Fear Street books. ...I had weird taste in books as a kid.

I liked the Choose Your Own Adventure books too. ^_^
Pantherus
I think the hungry hungry caterpillar was my fave but I also liked the Mr Men books for fiction and then horrible history.science for non-fiction.
The Goosebumps were good for horror and the famous five for a good adventure novel.
Shewolf
I remember I loved all the books of Jack London as a child. But I loved so many books back then, so it's impossible to mention just one:
Moni Nilsson-Brännström's books about a Swedish boy named Tsatsiki, Estrid Ott's "Finnmarksravna", and of course Roald Dahl's books etc. I don't think I can think of one book which meant much more than the rest... There are all too many good children's books out there.
littleladyluck
When i was younger, I loved Enid Blyton's books, those of Christopher Pike. Why Enid Blyton? I found her books the most enchanting, though I started reading her books because the English was good. As a child I hated reading English books, it was always French ones, with fairy tales, comics. Then, my mum kind of 'bullied' me into reading her books and I loved them from this day I started with The Famous Five series. They had all I liked - adventure, wittiness, humour. I loved also the series with the trolls, fairies, etc. Lots of those books. Indeed, I was quite a bookworm, a lovely one albeit a tireless one Wink because when I was little, I could spend nearly all my time reading my book sitting in a comfy chair or on my bed. Reading is one of the pleasures of life Smile
TVme
My favorite book as a child was Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. I kind of thought it was universally accepted as one of the most popular children's book of all time, but with 25 posts and no mention - maybe not. It's a fantastic book - check it out.
mikakiev
Momotaro it is a fairy tale.
joostvane
Well, I'm still a child and don't laugh: Harry Potter. I've read and seen (well, they are still making them) them all.
gandalfthegrey
The Hobbit, Chronicles of Narnia, Watership Down, The Giver (Lois Lowry)
stel4e
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren Smile
Crazy_Canuck
Maybe you guys can help me. I read a series a books about a Canadian Mountie and his sled dog, which was part wolf. I loved those books and have been trying to find them again. But I can not remember what they were called. Hopefully one of you has come across these. They were my favorite books. I would bring one home from the school library every week. Started my love for animals I think.
hlavco
I used to read ALL THE TIME.

I think one of my favorite series was Sideways Stories from Wayside School. They were short, but pretty funny.
Radar
Ahh...at what point my 'childhood' reading stopped I'm not quite sure.

Famous Five, Secret Seven, Chronicles of Narnia...

I want to say the Mennyms, if anyone's heard of that series, except I didn't really read them when I was a kid. I guess Peter Pan is like that as well...I like revisiting books that maintain that sense of awe and wonder about being a kid.
slashnburn99
Used to read a book, that everytime i read it, i think it would snow the next day!

Read it to death, not sure what happened to it.

Laugh when i look back, but wish i could find the book and read it again
kerryworkman
divya wrote:
Hi, What was your best read, when you were little? ...

My favorite book when I was little depends on how far back you are talking about. My reading interests have changed dramatically over the years. My first memories of enjoying books, mostly revolved around Dr. Seuss (Green eggs and Ham, The places you will go, One fish two fish, etc, etc). Then it was Where the wild things are, and many other illustrated children books, followed by many, many different comic books. Which lead to the chronicles of Narnia , and many other fantasy books including the hobbit and the Lord of the rings series. It went in many different directions following that but I will always have a special place in my heart for fantasy books in general.
georgeodowd
I think I went through nearly the entire school library during my time in elementary school, so it's hard to pick a favourite. There was one nursemaid story (a la Mary Poppins) I really enjoyed and read multiple times, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It was printed in a really small format - like 4 x 5, so it was fairly thick. All I can recall was something about an alligator handbag in the beginning. I also really liked all the books about ponies. Smile
Omega-hotelomega
the Target Dr Who books ( this was in the days before videos ) gave me chance to enjoy adventures I had never seen ..