FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

going back to XP

hofodomo01
I've been using windows vista for about a year, on a dell insipron 6000 that I bought late 2005-ish (it originally came with XP media centre edition).

I thought vista was cool and all, but I kind of want to switch back to XP. Vista takes up a bit more resources, but the performance is mostly fine. Do you recommend that I go through the hassle to switch back to XP, or should I just keep Vista, because future software etc etc would work better on Vista?

I know its also a personal preference issue, but I wanted to know if there were other advantages in keeping Vista.
mystzero
Why not just keep Vista and setup a dual boot configuration so that you could boot into either Vista or XP.
internetjobs
anybody have idea to edit bootmanager of vista?
Fake
I second that idea of dual boot. U have both the OS's on ur finger tips
Diablosblizz
That is if you know how to dual boot, which for me wasn't easy to learn. I got crazy with it and had three operating systems on one computer! Very Happy

If you don't know how to dual boot, try goolging. All I remember is that it is in msconfig under BOOT.INI tab, then you must go back to General and select "Use modified BOOT.INI."

Good luck.
teko
someone told me you can turn off all the fancy features in Vista so that it look like XP. Does this make it run faster?
kansloos
Yes, you can, but then it will still be less edgy as XP and the whole point of having Vista vanishes...
teko
well was just an option, how does a Vista withs it effects turned off compare to XP? Any benchmarks done to back up this?

Anyway it might be something for the OP to tryout before splashing out on a license for XP
misterXY
"upgrading" to a more comfortable operating system lol Laughing
Josso
Try dual booting but personally I haven't upgraded yet. Used vista in several situations for quite a while and I don't really like it, when technology forces me to upgrade for compatibility reasons I will have to customize the hell out of it so it so I don't hate it.
djclue917
I agree with Josso. I also haven't upgraded (and will never upgrade) to Windows Vista. I kinda love XP now although I use Linux 99% of the time. Very Happy In fact, I downgraded my cousin's newly-bought laptop from Vista to XP because of a lot of annoying problems (like broken sound for example) and [software] incompatibilities (some old games). With Linux and open source, the 'latest' would most probably be the 'greatest'. In Microsoft's world, however, that doesn't seem to apply. Wink

To cut it short, either try dual-booting or just downgrade Vista to XP. (But if I were you, I'd just wipe off Vista completely and install a fresh copy of XP. I think that's more practical.)
simplyw00x
I think it's wonderfully ironic that microsoft is doing the job of killing bloatware by themselves - they pushed the requirements for a basic desktop os so far that normal people are even saying "stay with XP". Of course, real people have been saying this kind of thing for years, and the fact that an Apple ][ beat a top-spec gaming PC for everyday benchmarks (like start-up time for web browser, boot time etc) is testament to some dodgy dealings between the OS companies and the hardware manufacturers.
romaop
internetjobs wrote:
anybody have idea to edit bootmanager of vista?

I got a pc with vista and xp that had vista at start. First I made the partitions with gparted. This took about an hour. Then installed xp on the 2nd partition. Well, after that just only one system started. So I found on the net a software that corrects boot manager and now I can choose between the 2 OSs.

Good year for all the Frihosters!
romaop
hofodomo01 wrote:
I've been using windows vista for about a year, on a dell insipron 6000 that I bought late 2005-ish (it originally came with XP media centre edition).

I thought vista was cool and all, but I kind of want to switch back to XP. Vista takes up a bit more resources, but the performance is mostly fine. Do you recommend that I go through the hassle to switch back to XP, or should I just keep Vista, because future software etc etc would work better on Vista?

I know its also a personal preference issue, but I wanted to know if there were other advantages in keeping Vista.

You have no need to uninstall Vista. You can try a thing called Virtual PC. This is a software that makes possible to run XP inside Vista. Check out this site:
http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/geek-to-live--run-windows-xp-inside-vista-with-virtual-pc-238071.php
kansloos
romaop wrote:
You have no need to uninstall Vista. You can try a thing called Virtual PC. This is a software that makes possible to run XP inside Vista. Check out this site:
http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/geek-to-live--run-windows-xp-inside-vista-with-virtual-pc-238071.php

Brilliant! You will end up having a super slow virtual-xp and a slow Vista at the same time.
Just what we wanted!
aningbo
if u r running low on speed, change it back to XP but i would recommend you to keep Vista. personal preference.
simplyw00x
Just change it back to XP and if you really want looks then install WindowBlinds - at least you can turn that off. Compatabiltiy will probably not be a problem for a long time (because so many people won't switch to Vista) so I'd guess you're safe for a few more years, and you can always 'upgrade' later.
janrunejohansen
I did the same, went back to a stripped XP version with only what i need. I would highly recommend that
HamsterMan
janrunejohansen wrote:
I did the same, went back to a stripped XP version with only what i need. I would highly recommend that

Seconed, I'm also using a custom version of XP with alot of software removed, and many different performence tweaks. Unless some kind of miracle happens and vista suddenly becomes 5 times faster I won't be switching anytime soon.
Whong
janrunejohansen wrote:

Can one choose exactly what programs he wants... Doesn't it just install everything by itself??? Confused
Billy Hill
kansloos wrote:
Yes, you can, but then it will still be less edgy as XP and the whole point of having Vista vanishes...

Is there a point to having Vista?
mOrpheuS
Whong wrote:
janrunejohansen wrote:

Can one choose exactly what programs he wants... Doesn't it just install everything by itself??? Confused

Yes that's possible. Not using the default installation disc, though.

You have to use tools that allow you to remove the unwanted modules right off the installation source.

http://www.nliteos.com/ for 2000, XP & 2003 (Cut down my XP disc to 135MB - Install into 350MB)
http://www.vlite.net/ for Vista (Cut down my Vista disc to 515MB - Installs into 2.1 GB)

Use them at your own risk !
simplyw00x
Quote:
http://www.nliteos.com/ for 2000, XP & 2003 (Cut down my XP disc to 135MB - Install into 350MB)
http://www.vlite.net/ for Vista (Cut down my Vista disc to 515MB - Installs into 2.1 GB)

Good ideas --- was reading about this yesterday.

Another idea is windows 98 --- it is fairly feature-complete compared to XP, especially with the upgrade pack that back-ports a lot of XP's improvements to a smaller and faster kernel:

http://www.wupg98.co1.at/
themit
I'd use XP. It may not be the fastest compared to, say 98, 95 etc. but it is the most compatible with the needs of today.
csoftdev
personally i don't really see any point of using vista. it is resource hungry and unless you have a very powerful system, you won't be able to run it smoothly while running few applications like what I always do, with photoshop/corel, visual studio etc at the same time.
xbcd
well if i remember correctly, in order to dual boot xp and vista. you MUST first install XP then Vista since Vista has the bootloader needed to load xp and vista. XP's boot loader can not load vista so it can not be installed after hand.
cvkien
i do not see any point to use xp or dual boot xp. last time i use to use windows xp a lot. but after i install vista, i think in 6 months, i'll only use xp once. just only if really needed. other wise, i everyday use vista. vista is easy to use anyway.
achowles
I guess it depends on what you're missing out on either way. The couple of DX10 only games released so far have been mediocre in my opinion. But from what you wrote, I see no real motivation to pick either over the other. XP would use less system resources and therefore run most things faster though.
cod3rbro
I think for now using Win XP is better than Vista, Vista only waste your computer resource