FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I Am Legend

Eyre
Anyone else seen the trailer for this? It's a movie coming out with Will Smith on December 14th if I'm correct. The movies been made before, so this is a remake, but I'm SUPER excited about it.
whitehole
Will Smith, zombies, apocolytic drama, what's not to love ?!?

This is the next big movie I'm looking forward to. I see all the good movies that come out(and lots of the not so good ones too Razz ) and this one looks cool to me. Like resident evil with a guy and his dog (which I loved too). I really hope they don't preview too much of the plot in the next few weeks before it is released.

Today is a good movie day too with Steven King's new movie The Mist and also Hitman. I'll see both before the end of next week!
applejunk
i saw the previews in the movie theatre while watching saw 4. it seems like a pretty good movie, will smith is a great actor, very well rounded. this movie seems to be along the same genre as i robot, action and the clash of humans versus something else.
Eyre
Quote:
I really hope they don't preview too much of the plot in the next few weeks before it is released.

Well when I first saw the preview, I hadn't known anything about the movie as I'd never seen any of the previous renditions. Nothing in that preview gave away the fact that it's about zombies or vampires or whatever. I had to research to find that out Wink
Blu_Spykz
The plot is fairly obvious, this movie has been done SO many times, in one form or another.

The Omega Man, Last Man on Earth, and 28 Days Later are the 3 more notable ones.

As one poster said: Will Smith, Zombies, Apocalyptic Drama... whats not to love.

But I hope, so much, that they don't hash this film. This is a very common movie to make, (7 different versions, and 2 variations of this film come to mind immediately), but I'd like to think that, even though stated it will be more truer to how the original premise was devised (Richard Matheson's 1954 novel, I Am Legend), it will be somewhat more unique. With Smiths acting, and comedy timing, this film could be a gem.

Fingers crossed.
blk3
I think there is a recent remake of Omega Man starring Mark Dacascos (unsure). Which really is about a last man on earth scenario. But with Will Smith's star power Im sure he'll it pull it off.
lethaltriad
I gotta see this one when it comes out. Will Smith has always made movies I can enjoy so hopefully he'll put a fresh spin to this genre of films.
bluefossil
I'll probably go see this. I wonder what twist they are gonna add to the this one. Maybe he is just a test subject and Manhattan is used as a test site to see how he would react to the mutant/vampire menace that is threatening the world.
I just hope I like it.
MYP415
It looks really good, I want to watch it. It reminds of independence day for some reason (other than it is will smith in it).
dickyzin
I have seen the trailer and definitely will watch it. Been waiting for good movies like this for some time now. The movie reminds me of I, Robot which was a very good movie with Will Smith in it. Can't wait to see I Am Legend.
analyst07
I have seen the trailor and I think it is going to be a vintage Will Smith movie. Most movies he stars in do well. I can't wait until it comes out. Applause
Wesker
I think it looks amazing, but I want to see it for an entirely different reason.

If you go to an IMAX showing of I Am Legend, it will have the first six minutes of The Dark Knight attached. It's basically a short film that acts as the prologue to TDK.

I'm driving two hours to the nearest IMAX just to see it, but I Am Legend looks good.
deathdefier
Was suppose to go see it but the dang snow had to come around...
Felixurban
the original Vicent Price version "Last Man On Earth" OR the Chartlon Hesten verison "Omega Man" OR the original book (which helped inspire the original "Night of the Living Dead") "I Am Legend"? I'm not a huge Will Smith fan (can't shake the memory of him as the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" which makes it hard to take him seriously in dramatic roles), still I've heard good things about his work in this.
ddoonie
no one has seen this yet? I was hoping to go yesterday, but didnt work out. I hope it has the same effect iRobot had on me. I expected nothing, and was shocked with how good it was...
mackhenry
i saw d movie yestrday but i think d ending wasnt good enough to end movie
Fake
Surprisingly, I LIKE will smith movies.
He is a good actor, should do more movies
cosmicx
I am looking forward to watch this movie...
the storyline sounds like Resident Evil but hopefully it will be something different...
and Will Smith will always be the attraction in the show Cool
Bilkers
I watched this at the start of the week and while I did enjoy it, it did feel like there could have been more. It was well made with good effects and the abandoned/empty city atmosphere was superb and very creepy. That empty lost feeling reminded me of Castaway (Tom Hanks).
Blu_Spykz
CGI left things to be desired in places.
The ending was to weak for this movie.

Will Smith potentially performed the best he has ever done so (since Ali, anyway). Superb display of acting, nailed the loony scenes. Perfect.

I've read how this is not as good as 28 days later... What a load of nonsense. Best film I've seen in a while, to be honest.
mackhenry
mivie cud have been of 2:30 or 3:00 hours
scottycrip
This is a great movie, but in my opinion it caters to a certain audience. People who like 28 days later and resident evil etc will like this but a lot of everyone else will not like it. Just think of it as one of those 'zombie' movies but with only one survivor and his dog. If you think of it like that it sounds great. (and it is)
Kelcey
The trailer definitely got me pumped to see it. It's been a while since I've been to the theatre though. I'll probably wait until it's out on dvd.
traxion
Kelcey wrote:
The trailer definitely got me pumped to see it. It's been a while since I've been to the theatre though. I'll probably wait until it's out on dvd.

what..

i ve saw the money friday in the bios in my town

the movie is just great. u have a empty New York in compleety wilde life

and will smith does a great jop with the movie...

for every body who doesn't saw this movie: get ure ass up and go the bios to see him:P
bluefossil
I did enjoy the movie. Kinda cool that having the run of the city and hunting with a Mustang Cobra.
He is a little cucoo from being alone all those years, but still hell bent on saving everyone. Did anyone notice the movie signs hanging in Time Square? This was Warner brothers and I think the time the signs were up it was supposed to have been 2010. and there was a sign up of Batman vs Superman.
you think maybe that was a hint?

I saw the trailer for the dark knight. It looks great. I can't wait to see the movie.
snowboardalliance
It was pretty good, the ending wasn't great but I see how it works and I'm not gonna complain about it too much.
lethaltriad
I watched it couple days at the the movies and it started off a lil slow.. the middle was nice but the ending was too unecessary and cliche. The overall mood and atmosphere of the movie was good though just felt like there should have been more to it.
driftingfe3s
I didn't like how the movie ended either, but I thought it was still a good love. Will Smith is an amazing actor and I felt he really showed his talent in this movie. I always liekd Will Smith but this movie made him one of my favorite actors.
Kelvin
Not too bad a movie. The darkseekers learning his traits and using it back on him. Yes, good acting... not too nice an ending but i guess that's what made him the legend.
Coclus
didn't see it yet but I m gonna go see it sometime for sure, although most people here have mixed feelings about the movie.
dickyzin
I watched I Am Legend last night and I enjoyed it. I don't like the ending though - it's a bit weak. If only the ending was better, the movie would be very good overall. If I knew what the ending was before watching the movie, I would definitely wouldn't want to watch it anymore. But everything else was nice. Not as good as I Robot in my opinion.
wellerchap
I don't like the type of things Will Smith usually appears in & think he's a bit of a plonker, but I did watch this movie as I loved the whole concept of a city without civilisation & how (one) man would cope & adapt to it.....THEN came the stupid zombie/vampire nonsense halfway through and all sense of "David, take this seriously, this really could happen one day" element was blown away, and the film regressed into the sort of action comedy the bloke's made his name in making.
First half, 10/10.....second half, 5/10.
Anti-climax.
fsal54
I want to see this movie as soon as possible Smile
pabloa
WAO this is a very cool movie!
Felixurban
Good or bad?
Flakky
It is a great movie, much better than I expected at first. Of which movie is this movie based on?
thejam
God!!!....the end...how bad!
browncoat777
SPOILER ALERT. I'm not going to be too obvious, but if you listen, some things will be ruined for you.

Okay, I'm going to sound so iconoclastic here...

First of all, this post began with people mentioning that I Am Legend was a book(novella, technically) first. It's only 90 pages or so, so why is it that nobody on this thread seems to have read the novella before seeing the movie? You really would have enhanced your experience in doing so.

Why's that? Because the book rips your brain out and eats your heart. In a bad way. The book's Richard Neville is a machinist before the outbreak, and in four years of studying college biology textbooks, he figures out the biology to the plague that ended the world? What the hell!? Also, the man himself is just pathetic in the book. You don't like him at all: he just mechanically goes through an automated routine without any emotion or class during the day and then drinks himself to a tearful sleep at night. The ending to the book? Oh my gosh, I wanted to throw the library book out the window. I won't even talk about the explanation for the plague itself, because it angered me so much on so many levels I wanted to sue the publishers for false advertising.

Now, let me say, while I obviously didn't like the book, I loved the movie. Smith's performance was quirky and enjoyable to a degree that exceeded Hanks in Castaway. The plot was rearranged so that Neville had always been a scientist on the cutting edge, and the backstory explaining why he is so personally invested in finding a cure is both heart-wrenching and potent. His relationship with the dog is the greatest non-traditional relationship I have ever seen. The ending brings triumph to a story that revolves around the loss of hope. And as for the plague explanation: much more plausible, and THEY NEVER CALL THE CREATURES ZOMBIES OR VAMPIRES. This is important because the truth is, they are neither:Vampires are supernatural and require blood to satisfy a magic ban, and zombies are biological or magical undead that are immune to most forms of slaying. They only ever call the creatures dark-seekers, which is an apt name for them.

And for those of you who missed this FANTASTIC IMAX experience, I pity you.
Headhunter123
Didn`t know that it was a novella browncoat777.

But the movie is greate Applause Run and buy or sit down and start the download Wink
akshar
I havent seen it but a die hard Will smith fan like me just cant miss it
thesorrow
This movie was really well filmed, especially the first part in the "lair".

The only think i'm dissapointed is that the "being alone in a large city solitude" wasen't really well developped.
blk3
I've seen it, and I though that it was just OK, not really that good. I hate the ending by the way.
traxion
wow.. that movie is cool

u have new york (i think) compleety empty of ppl and taxi and its total empty

the story is good, one of the best movie's i saw this last year.
irishmark
Absolutley excellent Movie.

Will Smith is astounding in this. His performace, i thought, is oscar worthy.

The suspence was brilliant and a good adaptation of the book for modern times although it is completely diffrent form the original story.

I got a little annoyed with the poor CGI of baddies as the movie progressed. I think they could have achieved better results with makeup and old school special effects.
browncoat777
irishmark wrote:
Absolutley excellent Movie.

Will Smith is astounding in this. His performace, i thought, is oscar worthy.

The suspence was brilliant and a good adaptation of the book for modern times although it is completely diffrent form the original story.

I got a little annoyed with the poor CGI of baddies as the movie progressed. I think they could have achieved better results with makeup and old school special effects.

I agree with most of your points, irishmark:

Will Smith's performance, especially his interactions with Sam were utterly riveting. I would be very disappointed if he didn't get a nomination for it. Then again, I've been a disappointed LOTR fan for 3 oscars, so... maybe it wouldn't be so surprising.

The scene inside the Dark Seekers' warehouse was absolutely well-done. I felt like ducking down in my seat in the theater throughout that sequence.

I will admit, something about the main Dark Seeker reminded me of The Mummy... maybe it was the slightly distended jaw action, but it did seem just a little cheesy.

Other than that, though...see my above post. Very Happy
Nameless
The book's ending was much, much better (and more thematic to the title) than the movie's.
Keran
Well the movie was fairly good, I mostly liked the performance of Will Smith.
The story wasn't so original, I am Legend seemed to me like Resident Evil, only not as good.
Ending was really dissapointing, compared to the rest of the movie, it's the weakest part, could have been better. I expected more from the movie after all these trailers etc.
I never read the book and I guess I'll never know how it ended in the book...
Masacchi
xD Good movie. I would definitely watch this again. There were a lot of plotholes (never really went into why the Dark Seekers were actually becoming sentient), and I didn't particularly like the ending, but eh. Overall it was excellent. I also liked the scene when they were inside the lair. I haven't read the book, but I want to read it now.. although the review I just read about the book scares me off from it a little. <.<;;

Really liked the relationship with Sam and Will Smith. I also liked that he was a scientist and a high member in the military so it explained why he was so capable of handling himself. There were a lot of scenes I liked, but eh. Don't want to spoil anything. First appearance of the Dark Seekers scared the heck out of me and I almost jumped out of my seat. x] We would have watched it in IMAX the day it came out, too, if some problems hadn't come up.
Fake
It is a pretty clever movie.
I loved the alternative ending, just to ahve a diff look at things u know.
cavey
It was better than I expected. I usually do not like zoombie-movies, but watched it because of Will Smith.
Felixurban
wellerchap wrote:
I don't like the type of things Will Smith usually appears in & think he's a bit of a plonker, but I did watch this movie as I loved the whole concept of a city without civilisation & how (one) man would cope & adapt to it.....THEN came the stupid zombie/vampire nonsense halfway through and all sense of "David, take this seriously, this really could happen one day" element was blown away, and the film regressed into the sort of action comedy the bloke's made his name in making.
First half, 10/10.....second half, 5/10.
Anti-climax.
You do know that 'vampire/zombie nonsense' is a part of the story dating back to the original book. In the original book it was vampires (or creatures very much like them). In the Vicent Price movie (which I have on DVD) it's still vampires (compleate with an aversion to garlic, not liking mirrors and his character killing them with long point stakes). In the Heston version it was changed to mutants and the story heavily inspired the original "Night of the Living Dead" (which is of course zombies). Without that element it wouldn't be the same movie at all. BTW, for thoes who didn't like the ending I beleave the DVD comes with an alternet version including a totally diffrent ending (at least I THINK that's what the ads said).
Felixurban
Flakky wrote:
It is a great movie, much better than I expected at first. Of which movie is this movie based on?
There are two. A smaller budget Vincent Price movie called "Last Man On Earth" and a Charlton Heston version called "Omega Man". There is also a book it ALL came from called "I Am Legend".
browncoat777
For everyone's information, the I Am Legend alternate ending, though part of a 2 disc set, is only about 8 minutes long. It changes the last two scenes of the movie, and it seems to be just a little more reminiscent of the book's ending. Overall, I still prefer the original ending.

Has anyone else seen the alternate ending? What do you think?
soldeinvierno
I found it interesting that the commercials for theaters didn't show what the movie was really about. It was only until the released the DVD that the commercials showed what is really going on, and that sucked because I skipped the theater to rent it and they unveiled part of the plot then.
Peckles
I thought that it was a really good movie. Mildly depressing at points but still a great movie
alfi
there was no story in it.it was just a normal movie with action,love and zombie.
anyway will smith was doing his best in that...