FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

del.icio.us social bookmarking and Search Engine

shenyl
Apparently, using the http://del.icio.us/ social bookmarking site for my URLs have actually help to improve the search on sites related to myself.

I will like to suggest that more bookmarks be created for your sites in these bookmaking sites.

del.icio.us is owned by Yahoo, but Google apparently search it quick intensely.

Try it and see if it improve your site ranking.

Remember tags is now the key search items in many Web 2.0 technologies, such as blogs, wiki, social bookmarks, and podcast.

Yes, podcasting in YouTube with tags pointing to your site will help.

Try them.
secondeye
yes, it gives few visitors to our site if our site name is bookmark in this web
shenyl
Thanks for the response, and happy your site has gained from the social bookmarking effort.

The real advantage I am referring to is to get a higher ranking from Google search, which in turn help to gain more visitors to your site.

Do check if search from Google for tags related to your site is ranked in the first or second page.

More links from your blogs, del.icio.us pages will definitely help.

It is web2.0 era, where "tagging" is becoming key for search engines.

With best regards
Peterssidan
Do you know that del.icio.us are using nofollow on the links? They do.
I have not used del.icio.us that much so I don't know if it works good for SEO.
shenyl
Peterssidan thanks for the info on nofollow through on del.icio.us site.

It does not really matters, as Search Engines are looking for tags (and the associative URL), they will crawl through using the URL associated with the tags. The follow through is by the web bot/spider rather than by del.icio.us.

Another example you can try with great result is to create your wiki space in
http://www.wikispaces.com

With sufficient tags you are most likely to be rank top in Google search.

Tagging I believe is gaining huge attention by SEO - do try the wikispaces, and hopefully you see great returns.

Thank you Peterssidan once again.
SlowWalkere
shenyl wrote:
It does not really matters, as Search Engines are looking for tags (and the associative URL), they will crawl through using the URL associated with the tags. The follow through is by the web bot/spider rather than by del.icio.us.

I don't think you understand what "rel=nofollow" does.

It was designed by Google to specifically exempt those links from web crawling and (as I understand it) PageRank calculation. If a link has the nofollow parameter, then Google will completely ignore the link... it's almost as if it doesn't exist.

The reason was to stop people from bloating their own link lists - using blog comments, social bookmarking, and the like. Google only wants to count real links that other people put up on their site back to your site.

Social Bookmarking is useful if it's used the way it was intended to be - socially. These links will help people find your site. It won't help Google find your site, so it won't have any impact on your SEO.

- Walkere
shenyl
Thank you SlowWalkere for the clear explanation on use of nofollow through.

Here is an article on tagging for Web 2.0. Infact, I can provides alot more articles on the new Web 2.0 technologies and tagging.

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/558/Search-Engine-Optimization-And-Web-2.0/

You must realised that SEO and nofollow through is basically for web 1.0, the new web 2.0 technologies includes wiki, podcasting, blogs, iTV, social bookmarks, etc.

Searching on these new web 2.0 contents is not considered in web 1.0 search engines preoviously, as they have not existed or matured. I cannot be sure how Google search these new contents, but I have seen results that Google is searching on tags of web 2.0.

How Google gets the tags and is SE ignoring the nofollow through option I dare not give a definitive answer. But I see results when using tags in Social bookmarking site del.icio.us.

Yes, del.icio.us is meant to share URLs, not for follow through by web spiders, that is web 1.0, in the new web 2.0 - does this still apply, from the results - it seem not.

wiki - as the article has shown produce far more results than traditional attempts to boost the page ranking - my wikispace has also achieved similar results - through tags.

I hope I don't sound pushy, but I do wish to highlight we are in a different web technologies in our current time and SE and SEO are re-defining their strategies, and old rules may become obsolete.

Thanks, and truly with best regards.
shenyl
Here is a good article on the social bookmarking site del.icio.us and serch engines.

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/59859.html

It is entitled : Social Search: What It Is and Why It's Not Going Away.

Do read this article - it talks about web 1.0 way of search criterias, which often is hyped up by marketeers, but social bookmarks ranking is a collective users' based approach, which is "social ranking" rather than marketing ranking.

Of course, here I am trying to show how the "social ranking" can be turned into marketeers' ranking. You contirbute to the social bookmarks, and in turn promote your sites.

Happy considering that we are now facing this new web 2.0.
imagefree
shenyl wrote:
Thank you SlowWalkere for the clear explanation on use of nofollow through.

Here is an article on tagging for Web 2.0. Infact, I can provides alot more articles on the new Web 2.0 technologies and tagging.

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/558/Search-Engine-Optimization-And-Web-2.0/

You must realised that SEO and nofollow through is basically for web 1.0, the new web 2.0 technologies includes wiki, podcasting, blogs, iTV, social bookmarks, etc.

Searching on these new web 2.0 contents is not considered in web 1.0 search engines preoviously, as they have not existed or matured. I cannot be sure how Google search these new contents, but I have seen results that Google is searching on tags of web 2.0.

How Google gets the tags and is SE ignoring the nofollow through option I dare not give a definitive answer. But I see results when using tags in Social bookmarking site del.icio.us.

Yes, del.icio.us is meant to share URLs, not for follow through by web spiders, that is web 1.0, in the new web 2.0 - does this still apply, from the results - it seem not.

wiki - as the article has shown produce far more results than traditional attempts to boost the page ranking - my wikispace has also achieved similar results - through tags.

I hope I don't sound pushy, but I do wish to highlight we are in a different web technologies in our current time and SE and SEO are re-defining their strategies, and old rules may become obsolete.

Thanks, and truly with best regards.

I disagree at all.

Just see the digg and del.icio.us sites closely.
shenyl
Let me re-state this, that I am not sure whether the nofollow through is observed.

Most probably still.

But I would also like to highlight, that the SE is searching for TAGs attached to the URLs that are bookmarked.

The SE does not need to follow through the URLs, if they do will probably only to validate (much like a ping).

TAGs is what the SE are looking for, with the higher the ranking the TAGs have (done by the social community, rather than by marketeers), the more the SE will rank these TAGs. No need to follow through the links.

The TAGs is like the meta-content (keywords) for the associated URL, SE uses these TAGs and indexed them onto their SE Databases.

I hope this makes sense, as why del.icio.us (which have the rel=nofollow attribute in the
<a (ddress) tag for each URL> ) as the SE is looking for TAGs not the actual web page in their SE Optimization/indexing purposes.

I think, I have started a fair bits of commotion, but all for good cause of info sharing, nothing to gain personally.
Peterssidan
It can be that the nofollow attribute is mostly to avoid spam. Maybe google only look at the nofollow to know and flag it as more likley to be spam. What happens if a site has all the links with nofollow? Why should they trust that all that links are crap?

If all outbound links are nofollow why take notice at all? Sites like del.icio.us and frihost that uses nofollow maybe are handled as they doesn't used nofollow. I don't know but I don't think that nofollow links are totally useless.

I can't see why tagging should be more important than regular links.
shenyl
Hello, Peterssidan thanks for your thought on the address tag attribute rel=nofollow.

I did not said TAG is more important than regular URL.

URL is used for hyperlinking to a web page address, while TAG is for classification (keyword) of a URL in del.icio.us. And classification for blog, wiki, etc.

I am saying that these TAG will greatly enhance a site pagerank, when searched by SE and in their SEO process.

In this sense TAG is more effective than regular URL in SEO.

That is why I am encouraging those who wish to have higher ranking by SE, to pump into social bookmarking sites, wiki sites (seem even more effective using wikispaces.com) their links and TAGs.

Hope this help to clarify the use of TAG and URL.
jabapyth
stumbleupon is also extremely valuable for getting views
shenyl
Thanks jabapyth, for the inclusion of www.stumbleupon.com

Yes, this is a great site vowing by web users and also the strong use of TAGs.

It has over 4 million registered users, not bad for a social web 2.0 site.

Yes, it is a great site and a useful toolbar for the browser.

Thanks and with regards.