FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bass guitar

giovle
Hi,

I'm totally addicted to my bass guitar. I even get the chance to teach some youngsters the basics to bass playing. But I have a question for every bass player out there ... Or make that a few questions ...

Which is/are your favourite bass player(s)?
I for starters have multiple: The Flea (RHCP), Christopher Wolstenholme (Muse) and some others ...

Do you have a favourite style?

Do you want to share techniques or other things relating to bass playing? Always on the look-out for something new Very Happy
Ankhanu
Favorite players include: Mike O'Neill (The Inbreds), Chris Murphy (Sloan), Charles Austin (the Super Friendz), Andy Rourke (The Smiths), David J (Bauhaus), among others.

I don't know that I have a favorite style, perhaps one can be seen from my favorite players, but I dunno.
pudovkin
My top 3:
- Flea, from RHCP (... of course);
- Robert Trujillo, from Suicidal Tendencies; and,
- Steve Harris, from Iron Maiden.
soldeinvierno
maybe evaristo, from LA POLLA RECORDS
analyst07
If you mention Bass players without mentioning Stanley Clarke,then you should find some of his music and listen. I suggest a song titled I WANNA PLAY FOR YOU. Cool Then you will see why he belongs in the elite group of bassist.
Sickness
One of my favourite bass players is Les Claypool, from Primus. He's outstanding!
clydejaw
my favourite bassists are jean baudin and victor wooten. Very inspirational and bad ass Very Happy
Yantaal
i assume you ahve heard of Matt Freeman, the bassist from rancid, if not, listen to maxwell murder and Black Lung, the bass in insane.

and clydjew, i like your hulk image
The Mitchell
i remember the first time i ever picked up bass and i sat for 3 weeks just playing the lowest note and thinking how cool it sounded. that was when i knew i should be a bassist
soldeinvierno
I forgot, Charly Dominguez from Los Suaves is great too!!
giovle
The Mitchell wrote:
i remember the first time i ever picked up bass and i sat for 3 weeks just playing the lowest note and thinking how cool it sounded. that was when i knew i should be a bassist

Nice to feel the vibes flowing through you when you pick up your bass isn't it? Sometimes when there's no one home, I turn up the volume of my amp and just enjoy the waving of my pants when I'm standing in front of the speakers playing my bass Razz That's just awesome to feel that. Luckily I have my earplugs at the ready, otherwise I'll really damage my ears!
pet-virus
Sickness wrote:
One of my favourite bass players is Les Claypool, from Primus. He's outstanding!

Exactly mine as well. I'm a big fan of Les Claypool, Flea, Victor Wooten, and I can't remember his name but... he's the Rage Against The Machine bassist.
The Mitchell
agreed. i found out an interesting thing the other day too. something i hadnt thought about. bassists dont turn up the volume on your bass amp if you cant hear it. move a little further away. due to the wavelength of actual bass waves your amp will sound loudest around about a meter to 2 meters away.
blinx
Been playing bass for a good 3 years now.. love the sound.
I'm more into funk and jazz than rock, despite the fact that I listen to more rock music. i suppose the reason for that is that you appreciate the sound of the bass more!
ddukki
Victor Wooten and Stuart Hamm are two of my favorite solo bassists. They've got phenomenal talent and they seem to be able to make their instruments do just about anything they want them to.
giovle
ddukki wrote:
Victor Wooten and Stuart Hamm are two of my favorite solo bassists. They've got phenomenal talent and they seem to be able to make their instruments do just about anything they want them to.

I totally agree. I've seen Victor Wooten on YouTube and it sounds and looks so awesome. Victor Wooten is like Houdini, but on a bass guitar Razz
The Mitchell
giovle wrote:
ddukki wrote:

I totally agree. I've seen Victor Wooten on YouTube and it sounds and looks so awesome. Victor Wooten is like Houdini, but on a bass guitar Razz

you mean he can completely dissappear from the bass. thats cool. i knew he was a good bassist but houdini of the bass thats a new one Wink
giovle
The Mitchell wrote:
giovle wrote:
ddukki wrote:

you mean he can completely dissappear from the bass. thats cool. i knew he was a good bassist but houdini of the bass thats a new one Wink

Haha, no, I referred to Houdini since he was the only well known magician I could think of. I just meant that Wooten really has some magic going on when he's playing his bass!

Peace out
Bengt
I dont really prefer one bassplayer,
there are also a lot players who dont have a 'big' name,
but are really topskills Smile
giovle
Bengt wrote:
I dont really prefer one bassplayer,
there are also a lot players who dont have a 'big' name,
but are really topskills Smile

That's true. My first bass teacher was amazing. He could just hear a song and start improvising on it. Just by listening he could determine the scale of the song and he'd know what he could play on the chords. Ok that isn't that astounding, but you should know, that he always played things that matched the style of the song, without playing the same style Smile
j0yfuln0is3
My favourite bassist would have to be Kim Deal.
She began playing in the Pixies as a complete novice, and you can hear her playing develop.
She also wrote a lot of the bass lines in Pixies music which, if you've heard them, I'm sure you'll agree are some of the more interesting and unpredictable yet simple bass lines.
Curtalcorn
I can say i love the sounds Les Claypool makes on his Carl Thompsons
b