FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to maintain a site?!!

WebKitten
I would like to know what it means to maintain a site. Could someone tell me please?
I just registered a domain and I do not know what to do... start a blog, directory or what else is the option?
I want to create a useful and profitable site.
HalfBloodPrince
Be innovative, don't do something that's been done a billion times. And don't be discouraged if it doesn't work in the beginning; Microsoft started as nothing more than what you are now, once.
polly-gone
DO something innovative. DO something that has never been done before!

As HalfBloodPrince said, Microsoft was once where you are now and look at them now... *drum roll please* THEY SUCK!

(Please don't take this as I am saying that you suck, what I am saying is they lost innovation!)

-Nick Smile Smile Smile

P.S. Hi
bri4n5
WebKitten wrote:
I would like to know what it means to maintain a site. Could someone tell me please?
I just registered a domain and I do not know what to do... start a blog, directory or what else is the option?
I want to create a useful and profitable site.

To start a blog is a very good idea, you can talk anything you want, you don't need to be specific. Very Happy
desertwind
Be fresh, be innovative, be up2date. - These are the key.
James007
You should have thought about that before you registered a domain. Confused

What you could do:

Forums:
+ community feeling
- no community / quite useless sometimes

Blogs:
+ good way to express yourself
- nobody will read it if you don't do something special

Site "about":
+ information about a certain topic
- wikipedia probably knows more than you do

Really, being creative isn't that easy these days...
rvec
you could just wait until something you hear or think sounds like a good idea. Sometimes those ideas just make it to your head and you know it'll work. My site was something like that, although it'll probably be gone if I think of something new. My last site was a "Frihost Communist Reform Party" site, just for fun but you'll get nice reactions by making such sites. And my current site "FrihWarez" is the same story, the reactions are priceless.
divinitywolf
advertise to attract people and get the to give you suggestions on what they want on the site.
jipmerite
I have to agree with James007. The domain reflects the site to a very large extent. For example having a technology site at a domain that goes something like freshfruits.com will never be taken seriously. Well maybe not never; you could make it work with a lot of hard work on your part. But the general rule is that the domain should have something in connection with the theme of the site. That way people will find it easier to remember.

The easiest way to make a site is to make a blog. You can install Wordpress or some similar platform easily. Then you have to choose what you want to blog about. You could choose to write about how much your life sucks like 90% of the blogs out there, but then you will have to write extremely well to make it a financial success. There are a few people who have succeeded in doing that too, but not many people want to read such things unless it's really unique.

You could make a blog on support for a disease or cause. Maybe an informative blog on breast cancer. Writing about the causes, treatments, recent breakthroughs, how to support and get support for people with breast cancer and their families etc.

But writing such a blog will require some level of knowledge on the subject you choose. You could either spend time getting the information online or offline, or choose to blog on something you are already knowledgeable of. That way it will be easier to blog regularly.

Regular updates is an important factor in the success of a blog. If you look at the most successful blogs or websites online, you will see that they have updates several times a day. If a site is updated one a week, people will forget to come back. But if they feel that there will be something new every time that they come, they will be more inclined to come back.