FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[COMMUNITY PROJECT]Frihost Forum

simplyw00x
Ok, I'm bored, so let's do this. Revised spec. follows:

Quote:

DEIGN BRIEF: FRIHOST FORUM

AIM: To create a forum similar to existing forums available, but with the requirements detailled below. Programming languages will be HTML, CSS and PHP. Database will be mySQL (see below). Project source will be freely available as long as it is not sold or incorporated into commercial products (GNU GPL)

REQUIREMENTS:
USERS:
Ability to sign up
Multiple user levels - mods, admins etc.
Usergroups
User profiles
By-user settings: themes, avatar, custom title, signature, time format etc.
Banning of users
Warning system
Private messages
IP logging

FORUMS:
Different forums
Ability to start new topics in forums
Ability to restrict which forums users can start topics in
Private group forums
Forum index/front page
Different organisation methods of display:

* Thread, by date
* Thread, by last post
* Thread, by views
* Post, by date

POSTING:
Ability to edit posts
Ability to delete own posts
Implementation of BBCode
Ability to add new BBCode tags easily
E-mail notification of replies and PMs
Polls

GLOBAL:
All features must be easily added/removed, to allow simple scaling
Portable user authentication system to facilitate integration with CMS
All features must be plugins (i.e. separated from main file)
Hence, main file should just provide a framework for loading and managing plugins.

//Explaination: I'm sick of forum systems where it's an absolute chore to turn something off/add something. This should be made easier by making every aspect of the system clearly defined and easily editable and manageable//

DISPLAY:
Fully WC3 compliant XHTML and CSS, as little Javascript as possible, no tables
Themes (seperate theme stylesheet, user selectable)

CODING:
Error and warning-free PHP
Clean, well-commented source code
mySQL database system
Plugin manager that builds files from components to minimise mySQL queries

Ok, so basically the previous spec. except I removed the idea for flat files, as in retrospect it was a stupid idea to begin with, and more trouble than it's worth for all the 4 webhosts with PHP but without mySQL. Also, I've been thinking about the modular system and I realised that it would be very difficult and resource hogging to read from many different files at run-time and also be difficult for plugin developers to mesh with other plugins. Hence, I think that whenever a new plugin is added, it comes with instructions that tell the 'add' script where to place its code so it can integrate well.

Anyhoo,I've set up a developers' Wiki on my hosting space, so check it out, and if you want to take part join it and start making contributions.

NOTICE: Please do not reply to this thread to say that you're not interested or just to say that you are. If you're not, why tell me? If you are, join the Wiki.

mathiaus: Project is apparently closed. 17/01/07
n0obie4life
Nice Smile.

Stickied.
BlackSkad
Well, men, when are we going to start? I realy like to start, but I don't realy know where to begin Smile So, I'm waiting for you Razz
simplyw00x
Yeah, sorry about the delay. Things are pretty ghetto in my house at the moment. I'll probably get started Monday or Tuesday.
n0obie4life
I have some queries

Quote:
Ability to sign up

What do you mean?

Quote:
Multiple user levels - mods, admins etc.
Usergroups
User profiles
By-user settings: themes, avatar, custom title, signature, time format etc.

The above are ALREADY made. Just that Bondings didn't install the mod

Quote:
Banning of users

Already made. It can even cookie ban a user.

Quote:
Warning system

There are already 2 systems. Bondings hasn't installed any.

Quote:
Private messages

eh?

Quote:
IP logging

phpBB Built in feature..?

Quote:
Different forums

?

Quote:
Ability to start new topics in forums
Ability to restrict which forums users can start topics in

Great! We really need that I think.

Quote:
Private group forums

Built in feature. Just set the forum permissions to PRIVATE.

Quote:
Forum index/front page

Isn't this a front page?

Quote:
Ability to edit posts
Ability to delete own posts
Implementation of BBCode
Ability to add new BBCode tags easily
E-mail notification of replies and PMs
Polls

All built in..
digibluez
How about you take a look at miniBB source for forums
.It needs lot of adding scripts to be safe,but its really light and nice.
BlackSkad
@ n00bie4life: as far as I understood simplyw00x, it would be a LIGHT-source project to which you can add the features you like.
The basic source-code will be small, and features within it will be basic. Not like phpBB, which already includes a lot of features (pe: you could leave the layout-changer out of it for people who want just 1 lay-out)

Maybe you might want to read the introducty note on the wiki. It explains a lot.
Texas Al
Step 1: find out which of 50 billion existing open source BBS projects is the most similar to what you're trying to accheive and then fork it. So you don't waste huge amounts of time reinventing something someone else already did.
BlackSkad
STEP 1: Start coding it all by yourself (or in group) from the BEGINNING! When you do it this way, you know exactly what you are doing in each line of code and you have complete CONTROL about how your program will work.
I know there already are already a lot of forum-scripts on the web, but non is as light and as adaptable as the one we would like to make.
BlackSkad
I couldn't wait on simlpyw00x, so I started the project on my own. You can view it here.
The only hing you can do now, is posting a message and then view all the messages.There are no topics yet. This what I would call "the black-and-white"-forum, our little baby Laughing
Pay attention to the fact that it is XHTML valid!
To everyone who wants to join, just pm me, and I will send you the ftp-info to get the source-files (but not earlier than monday, I'm not @ home untill than).

Greatz,
BlackSkad
simplyw00x
Quote:
I have some queries

It was a plan for the Frihost users to make a forum, not to make a forum for Frihost.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:01 pm Post subject:
I couldn't wait on simlpyw00x, so I started the project on my own. You can view it here.

Ok, I've officially lost interest. Knock yourself out. Good luck!
BlackSkad
Well, I will still use your requirements though Smile I would be glad if someone would help me a little. I have to admit I'm rather enjoying myself with this forum-project, but it's huge indeed.
Everyone who wants to help me: post right here The wiki belongs to simplyw00x, so we'll just use the system I have made in the past few days.

Greatz,
BlackSkad

@simplyw00x: if your interest returns, you're still welcome Smile
Texas Al
Sourceforge is littered with projects that never released useable files and tried to code everything themselves. Good luck.

If I'm wrong and you have a useable forum within one year, I'll give you the 1000 Fri$ or all of my Fri$, whichever is less, by then.

But as someone who has actually taken on ambitious projects in the past, I can tell you even seemingly easy stuff is hard, without having to write your own MySQL calls and page layout routines and password authentication functionality and all the nuts and bolts.

If you have the energy to write something from scratch, at least pick something that doesn't exist yet. Otherwise, it's just utterly wasted time... like that guy on here who wanted to "write an operating system" a while back.

On the bright side, you will learn a lot from this exercise. Including the importance of code reuse and strategic laziness. Wink
BlackSkad
Is there anyone out there who has the imaginative brain power to invent a name for this project?
The code-name right now if FriForum, but while browsing the web, I discovered an existing website with this name. So, I ask your ideas for a new name!
Let me hear them Smile

@Texas All: Oh, but I'm lazy, if phpBB can help me, it'll do so Wink
Jamatu
It'sbeen almost a month, and theres no code at all??
BlackSkad
Oh, yes, there is code. But at the moment, I'm the only one working on it. SO it's rather useless to use the wiki isn't it?

If you want to see the result of the current code, check [http://www.azkabanweb.frihost.net/FriForum]FriForum[/url]. If you want to join, just let me know (via pm, this topic, the topic in project itself,...)

Oh, and I'm still searching for a new name Smile

Greatz
BlackSkad

ps: and don't forget to post something when you visit it :p
dionet
Ok, i want to help!!! I don´t have very much time now but I will try to help:
name: Diogo
experience: I did some scripts in php like a clan system (like clanbase)... I think I can help with a smiles system or bbcode and another things of course!

I´ve posted a post like this in friforum
Simulator
I have blog software made, and I plan to turn it into Forum software soon
SamiTheBerber
BlackSkad has made a great forum. This orginal phpBB2 forum is not so nice and it is heavy. Go for own forum Wink
Laz
Guys we should all team up on this. I have a little php knowlage great HTML / xHTMl and css knowage. If we all team up we could code a ownage forum simlar to the one at techtuts.com but better BTW that has admin tools as well. Razz
mattd8752
Could I help out on this one, I am highly interested in helping, I know php, css, html, and I am learning perl. The only thing I ask for if I am helping, is that you allow me to use this forum on my site please make it custimizable/moddable though...
Jiltedcitizen
I'm still wondering why you didn't fork something? Or make use of some kind go library or framework. I mean if your just coding from scratch you are going to end up like all the other billion php forums out there and have a hard to follow code base. Design a framework to make a forum, blog, newssite, whatever, easily.
BlackSkad
Okey, to everyone who's interested, you can check out the project at http://www.azkabanweb.frihost.net/FriForum
To everyone who want to help, take a look at
http://www.azkabanweb.frihost.net/FriForum/view_topic.php?t=5. As I speak, we are moving it to SourceForge.net. So you might register overthere to. It however is still possible that a copy remains here which I use during my developpement Smile

To all those who want to know why we started out from scratch: it was the original idea of simplyw00x (see top of topic) which I started. I didn't want to fork anything because you need to spend loads of time to examine and understand the way he forum is build. I don't like codes that are hardly to understand because you need to open like about 10 files before you got all the code. So nothing is more usefull for that purpose than your one stuff Very Happy And I just increase my knowledge of php with it.

I enjoy it, I hope others too will do so and help me tuning it to a powerfull board...
BlackSkad

EDIT, my apologish to Mathiaus, who in fact was tha one who came up with the idea. Anyway, thanx, Mathiaus Smile
mathiaus
It was actually my idea, SimplyWoox just made a new topic which was then used
http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6509&highlight=

Anyway things seem to be going pretty well with it. I'm impresses with what you've achieved so far! Smile
BlackSkad
Oké, welcome in the team Mathiaus. I'm glad to have you in.

The name has been changed to SJForums (SJ standing for SrinJado).

Others are still welcome too! We don't only need people who can script, but also people who are able to make nice layouts. People who are able to make nice graphics like buttons etc. We'll need testers, who will kind of debug our software.
Well, we can just need everyone who wants to join Smile

Greatz,
BlackSkad
The SJForum-project
Astrolopitecos
and NW forum?...New Wave Forum Razz

u want layouts in wich form?...phpbb are made with tpl files :S
i dont like it because its hard to find what we want...i tried to play with it already Razz

i think u should not be only with it on sourceforge...the project started here Razz

do u have new news about it?

stay well Smile

add:
rank system like... top posters and stuff like that
since everyone uses forum like an chat why dont u had an shoutbox system in it?
dont forget stats X)
think in everything and maybe starting in this one we can do a lot more Razz
PatTheGreat42
Why does the world hate tables? They're so darn... useful.
Summer
lol , but it is called SrinJado now .