FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Have you heard about the new Monopoly?

KEMLED
I was just wondering if anyone had seen the commercial for the new Monopoly game? It has electronic banking? I just makes me wonder if they are taking a classic board game like Monopoly to the electronic level, what other board game could they take to that level? Question
driftingfe3s
I haven't seen it, but it seems like it would make the game alot easier and faster to play. Personally I've never finished a game of monoploly, it just takes forever to win.

Alot of games are moving to some sort of electronic platform or include a electronic component. Many games are now outfited with an electronic timer or buzzer when we use to use the good old "hour glass" style timer. I guess its a good thing, less paper used, more trees are saved!
Packfan104L4
I saw the commercial for the game and I saw it in Target the other day. It's basically the lazy man verison of the original Monopoly because you just swipe everything. It's great for little kids that can't add or subtract double digit numbers, but if adults are buying it, it's just pure laziness.

Plus the 35 dollar pricepoint compared to the original at 15 is a bit pricey for me. And no, I'm not including the 8000 $30 special editions of the game.
Arnie
About the prices: monopoly is one of those games you can easily make yourself for very little money. Buy a cheap white cloth or a piece of cardboard, and paint the board on it. With cardboard or properly folded paper you can make the cards.

I once made a set of the game "Catan" with some family, and it's much more fun than the store version. (We had to make one because I forgot to take the box with me on vacation...)
Afaceinthematrix
Sorta disappointing in a way because I remember as a young kid me and my friends would fight over who gets to be banker... and now there isn't a need. But pretty much all games are going that way... I have monopoly for xbox and used to have it for the computer.... a lot of board games are going to the computer...
Packfan104L4
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
a lot of board games are going to the computer...

Well that's because the fact is that parents really don't have time or really just don't want to play board games with kids anymore, so the kids are forced to play a computer in a virtual board game. It's a sad thought but the reality of the situation.
Dean_The_Great
Packfan104L4 wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
a lot of board games are going to the computer...

Well that's because the fact is that parents really don't have time or really just don't want to play board games with kids anymore, so the kids are forced to play a computer in a virtual board game. It's a sad thought but the reality of the situation.

The death of family game night. Not so good. My family used to play board games (monopoly only ever with my cousins...too too long for the parents), it was a great time! I can't imagine kids today not ever getting that opportunity. It's a great way for parents and kids to learn about each other and fair gaming.
McDucque
I try to keep the whole game night thing alive with friends and family. I'd much rather play a good group board game or social party game than have some multiplayer video-gaming any day of the week. It's just the whole process of assembly and being able to see and touch everything.. reading the rules, arguments over the rules, its a whole big thing Very Happy
ShadowAssassin
lol i have this monopoly, tho irish version! its okay, different tokens, money style.

u start with 15 million, not thousand LOL!!!
Nameless
Given I have already seen approximately EIGHTEEN THOUSAND variations on monopoly (all of which fall into the category of pointless renaming or almost pointless conversion to a computer/video game console) I am thoroughly unimpressed by any new attempts to sell the exact same, IMHO uninteresting, game.
georgekalathil
wow, it seems to be great. I would surely buy the latest version of monopoly.
Insanity
Well, you can always play multiplayer Monopoly on the computer with the family... bit weird, yes, but still family fun nonetheless.
minty
Dude I love monopoly and I agree that making it electric is taking the fun out of it. My top two all time favorite board games are Risk and Monopoly, however, no one has the time to play either with me. Actually, my g/f's 14 yr bro wants me to teach him Risk...maybe this weekend...hmm
Nutteloos
I love how the new version of the game actually makes it more interesting to play... and I don't mean the credit cards. It's just that, with the original, there's usually 2 players after half an hour of playing who have a chance of winning, with the rest just walking numbly around the board, forking all their cash and hotels over to the aforementioned two.

With the new game, you don't buy a street - you buy a share of it. So, if you own a hotel (you have more than 50% of it) and someone with 40% lands on it, he hardly has to pay anything for it. Makes the game that much more enjoyable, I think.
wabik90
Wow, I haven't heard about that, but I think it could be nice... very nice. It would be great if you give some info or details about this game.

Cheers Very Happy
McDucque
Im against the slight technical advancements to board games... apparently, LIFE is doing the same electric route to its money system... How am I supposed to play no rules, honor system monopoly?

How do you play, exactly? well, you can steal anything from anyone, including the bank, assuming noone notices =P
singh.gurjeet
I have played an Indian rip-off version of this, called Business, and I loved playing it as a kid... Maybe it time to grow up and play the Electronic version of it... I'll see if I can get hold of one somewhere online...
mattchun
No, what's that? Could you guys explain that for me?
web_harman
hey gurjeet ..... same here .. in india the game name is Business............ and really man i have played it countlessley with friends ... my dad. .... and cousins...... and when i grew up a litlle more i even designed a monoply board game on my own.............it was fun... it really was fun...

i wonder what do kids play instad of that legend game known as monoply on global scale...
singh.gurjeet
Is there a web version of this game... ??
datter
Monopoly is great, but all the versions bug me. You don't need a "Cars" version or a "Seinfeld" version or a damned professional wrestling version. You don't even need an electronic/computerized version. You just need the same game that was designed back in the 30's.

Plays fine, and is still fun... board games are about interaction with the other players after all, not about the game itself.

datter
vonboy
mayby not realy relevent, but i bought this monopoly game a few years ago. it wasn't realy like monopoly though. it was a real-time 3d strategy game, where you picked what you wanted to build and where. there were little people waking around that would walk into your stores and buy stuff.
Fake
I think monopoly is easy to play, if u are smart cheater.I cheat to win sometimes, but only in good fun
I dont think that monopoly games take FOREVER. The last few games I played, all finished with some people going bankrupt
Pikokola
singh.gurjeet wrote:

who wants to play real time monopoly with another strange people in internet... It'll turn out to be funny when somebody AFK and gone away while playing...
singh.gurjeet
Pikokola wrote:
singh.gurjeet wrote:

who wants to play real time monopoly with another strange people in internet... It'll turn out to be funny when somebody AFK and gone away while playing...

You are right.... What was I thinking!!! This game is no fun if you can't see peoples faces, their expressions, how they freak out upon losing money, how they slowly start complaining....

The web-version wouldn't be any fun.... This game is all about personal interaction...