FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Golden Compass

roboguyspacedude
The movie is coming out on December 7th. I can't wait, the trailer looks good. Of course, besides for Lord of the Rings, the books are always better than the movies. What do you think the movie will be like?
Zaini711
I think b'cos of the expecting, moviegoer will find it a bit dissapointed. I guess, this type of movie is more for 5 to 16 years audience but as the trailer is promoting it towards 20's crowd, the fan will feel like there should be more and the action not as violence or there is no bloodbath such as LOTR. Golden Compass is more like Narnia and such genre, I believe.
PennyLane
I read the books and they are wonderful!! Now I've seen the trailer, and everything that you see in the trailer is like in the book (except for Mrs Coulter's hair colour...)
Can't wait to see the movie!!!
TurtleShell
I love these books. I'm hoping the movies will at least be enjoyable, but I have pretty low expectations. I usually do, when they try to take books I love and put them into motion pictures.
Skkye_Blossom
I'm being optimistic, especially since it has some really great people in it. From the commercial it seems that they have captured the wonderful essence of it. But then again, I'm sure I won't be delighted with it, mostly because I've read the books. For everyone else I think it will be at least decent.
ExecuKev
It was a good movie but they've left a lot of the content of the book out.
It still has the dark tone that the book does (much darker than say a Harry Potter book/film) but they've made quite a few amendments/ommisions to prob cater to a wider audience.

I personally love all 3 books and the release of the movie spurred me on to read them again.

Overall - a little disapointed as a direct comparison to Pullman's work but still enjoyable.
ddukki
ExecuKev wrote:
Overall - a little disapointed as a direct comparison to Pullman's work but still enjoyable.
I haven't yet seen the movie, but I've read the books. I'm going in there with low expectations, so I'll be happily surprised if it doesn't / kinda doesn't suck. You really can't live up to Pullman in a movie, anyway ^_^
Daisie
It look very good, I must say that I am eager to see it. I havent read the books, I didnt even know that it was from a book to be honest.
Shewolf
Then you might get some problems following the plot and everything, Daisie, and might find the whole movie as a waste of time. Even without haveing read the book, you can see that they have skipped parts. There are too many sudden jups in space and time, which might make the story rather difficult to find.
Anyway, I was not disapited by the movie, but then I had as low expectations as possible. It was quite okay, compared to the book, and a good piece of modern technology. But nothing more than that. I still prefer the books Wink
ExecuKev
i don't think they totally nailed the adaptation of the book but the book is one of the finest i've ever read and it's always going to be difficult to please ardent fans of any book with a mass "cult like" following.

What they did do superbly was deal with convaying the scale and grandour ot the environments. It felt fantastical yet realistic which is a difficult balance to strike. It is very easy for film makers to descend into ridiculous amounts of CGI driven scenes where the surroundings become the star and overshadow the cast.

In this respect, they did a tremendous job.

The movie is good, if it wasnt based on a better book it would be very good.

There are two more books to be converted onto the big screen yet and these will be key to how the overall story is unveiled. Perhaps they have amended the timeline of the narrative and will bring some ommited elements from "Northern Lights" into the subsequent movies.

I say, judge it as a trilogy, as whilst the 1st book is a great read on it's own, it is part of a masterpiece when combined with the other two.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 seeing as it has so much potential.
INeedHelp
I thought they did a wonderful job on the movie. You can't really say that they left a lot of the book out, because that always happens. There is no way you can create a 2-3 hour movie and fit everything in from a book. Anyway I thought it was a superb movie and did the book justice.
TurtleShell
We thought about going to see this on Christmas day, but were concerned that it might be a little scary for our 6 yr old. I know it's a PG 13...

Anyone--opinions re: how appropriate this would be for a first grader? I don't expect she'd be able to follow the plot very well, but that never did stop her from enjoying other movies...
ExecuKev
INeedHelp wrote:
I thought they did a wonderful job on the movie. You can't really say that they left a lot of the book out, because that always happens. There is no way you can create a 2-3 hour movie and fit everything in from a book. Anyway I thought it was a superb movie and did the book justice.

i wouldn't have expected them to create a 9 hour movie with every detail from the book in it, but having read all three, there are fundamental points in the first book which carry on throughout the narrative. They need to be introduced or it'll be less of a true portrayal of the books.
Josso
I saw it in Oxford, impressively the opening scene to the movie was filmed in the part of the town which I had just walked through. That confused the hell out of me.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend going to see it but it's not the most amazing film ever. Oh, also worth it if you've read one of the books (not even necessarily that one) - because I think it's a lot easier to understand and you appreciate more small parts of the plot that others might not notice.
linangan
"The Golden Compass" scores best in that it's undeniably a great-looking movie.

Weitz based his script on the first book in Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, and he uses his $180 million budget to create a world that hovers somewhere between the sterility of science fiction and the richness of fantasy. As a result, the movie can be beautiful and harrowing, but too often, it also is canned and derivative.

What's missing isn't just a sense of magic to the production and a clear idea of all the evil working to undo young Lyra (Dakota Blue Richards), who is in possession of the golden compass of the title, an alethiometer used to mine the truth in all things asked of it. What's critically missing here is soul, gathering momentum and a lasting element of danger, all of which would have helped "Compass" to match "Narnia's" operatic tone.