FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Opinions on OS X Leopard?

froginabox
Hey everyone, I have 10.4 and I'm thinking about coughing up the $$ to upgrade to Leopard on my MacBook Pro. Has anyone had personal experience with it yet? I'm wondering if I should wait a bit longer to see if there are any major bugs or problems with upgrading.
Ankhanu
I installed it over the weekend, but have been too busy to really explore it. In what I have done, for general computing there isn't a large change from 10.4... which is good, I think Razz The stacks feature is really nice, however, and helps keep things clean, and Spaces seems like it'll come in handy. The other changes I've experienced are all pretty minor, but it is nice so far.

No complaints yet.
Srs2388
im going to have it installed before too much longer... i can't wait. it's gonna be great
spykE
I have it installed recently aswell and I really find it a great improvement upon the already very good Tiger OSX. Definetely worth the money!
Shewolf
I must agree with spykE, it works nice, And it has some new functions, which looks really good. After running it for more than a week, I have no complaints, but the fact that I've had some problems with Adobe Photoshop.
Ankhanu
I now have some complaints Razz Really, just one; memory allocation.

I'm running a MAcbook 13" w/ 2.0Ghz Intel C2D and 2Gb of RAM; since upgrading my RAM usage is usually at 1.5 to 1.9Gb and Virtual Memory is often allocated to over 30Gb... which IS affecting performance. I mean, does TextEdit with 30characters input really need 1Gb of VM allocation? Why does Preview often run at 1+GB of RAM allocation for opening files under 50Mb?

So yeah, memory usage is ridiculous, but everything else seems gravy.
teko
cant wait to get it myself, have ordered a new macbook pro. My first foray into OSX and Apple computers.
grafke
User friendliest interface, stable. One of the greatest OS'es, after linux Smile That's my opinion..
©Wolfie
Ankhanu wrote:
I now have some complaints Razz Really, just one; memory allocation.

I'm running a MAcbook 13" w/ 2.0Ghz Intel C2D and 2Gb of RAM; since upgrading my RAM usage is usually at 1.5 to 1.9Gb and Virtual Memory is often allocated to over 30Gb... which IS affecting performance. I mean, does TextEdit with 30characters input really need 1Gb of VM allocation? Why does Preview often run at 1+GB of RAM allocation for opening files under 50Mb?

So yeah, memory usage is ridiculous, but everything else seems gravy.

So, your Macbook Pro is really being slower with the 10.5?

I've heard that the MAC 10.5 is cracked for normal PCs. Very interesting. I've just one question, wouldn't you just wait a little while before the big bugs are fixed? I would do that.

Anyway, I've heard it's very friendly and good looking. ^^

I'm doubting between Ubuntu 7.10 or a Apple. Which one should I choose?
Ankhanu
It's just a Macbook, not a Pro.

Um, performance has reduced slightly... but it's only really apparent when I have a fair bit on the go. It used to slow down a little with 10.4, but it can cause a fair bit more stutter with 10.5. The Dashboard, however, seems to use fewer resources when not actively accessed now.

As for Ubuntu or Apple, well, if you get a new system, I'd grab an Apple... and install Ubuntu on the old system... in fact, I did exactly that Wink
caroline
It's wonderful in my opinion - a lot of little details add to the overall experience. It seems like there's a small problem when trying to connect to the internet though - it works on my XP and not on my Mac.
Donutey
I helped my friend install it last weekend on his macbook. There are lots of little things that are better about it, however the negatives really got me:

1) It required a complete reformat to install (the computer was dual booted with ubuntu)
2) The little glowing dots showing when a program is running are not really visible at a glance.
3) Did I mention we had to reformat?

Aw well, time machine is pretty cool, and we probably could have gotten around the reformat thing, but overall it's pretty slick, albeit delayed almost a year.
DarkAkira
Leopard is great, lots of new good features.

I honestly prefer Tiger (10.4).

I think the Aqua UI is nicer to look at than the Leopard one. And I don't really like the reflective dock and the new iTunes like Finder windows. Its tooo businessy to me now. Where is the prettiness and fun? It's a great OS though. I like it. Just the GUI could use some work in my opinion. I was actually thinking about writing a version of the AQUA UI to work with tiger. Like... changing old finder, an adding new finder features. And other stuff. It'll be a pain, but I might do it just so I can switch to Leopard permanently.

BTW. I got Spaces to work on Tiger. Fun stuff.
kuyman
@ DarkAkira

I admire your nerdiness Smile

A friend of mine actually installed Tiger on his MacBook with no major complaints. His only real remark was "this isn't worth 120 dollars", so I suppose that's not such a bad thing, but it's not a great thing either. I rather enjoy Tiger, it's still an impressive operating system and it looks much more "fun" than the new... uh... darkish iTunes style thing. Bring back my brushed metal!
Bengt
I installed it couple of weeks ago, when it was released. Enjoyed it a lot. If you are a normal use, it's just great. At the moment I'm back into Tiger because I had some problems with software (partly my own fault). But I will upgrade again sooner or later. (It just looks so freaking cooly ^^)
kansloos
Only upgrade, when you have a real reason to upgrade, Upgrades generally break things ><
DarkAkira
GOOD NEW EVERYONE!!!!

I installed Leopard on my MacBook, Dual Booting Along side Tiger. This way I can do either.

Anyway, thats not the good news.

The good new is a started work on making Leopard resemble tiger in the are of Prettiness (kinda). Here is what I have done so far.

- Changed all of the default folder Icons and a few system Icons (not all tiger, but the same folder style)
    - Hacked the dock to make it 2d again, no reflections, and give it a Tiger looking BG (still working on it to make it full Tiger)
    - Made the top corner of the screen rounded again (w00t)

SO far it is looking pretty good. I still have a small list of things to do though.

- Restore the top bar Apple to the blue Tiger version ( i might keep the rest of the bars transparency)
    - Change finder window icons to glossy
    - Restore brushed metal windows (i might not use it, but others will)
    - Restore Dock separator to Tiger version

Thats my list of stuff to do. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Once I have everything done, I will post screenshots and I will package it all for others to use. I'm sure there will be quite a few people who will be interested in this.

Overall, I say switch to Leopard. It is faster, more stable, completely 64-bit, and overall better. You can literally feel the difference doing just about anything. It is quite nice.
snigna
I've been using Leopard for more than a month and I'm very happy with it. There are almost no problems, and yet there are so many new and useful features. I can't imagine my desktop without Spaces any more!
DarkAkira
snigna wrote:
I've been using Leopard for more than a month and I'm very happy with it. There are almost no problems, and yet there are so many new and useful features. I can't imagine my desktop without Spaces any more!

Yes/ Spaces does rule. Very stable and sleek. Much better than virtue desktops.
Ankhanu
I've been back at my parents' place over the past week, and for the rest of the month, and left my second monitor back at my apartment/room, so I've been making use of Spaces quite a bit.

I've got to say that it is very well implemented, now that I've really had a chance to make use of it. The decluttering and project grouping that it provides is absolutely fantastic and switching between spaces is smooth and simple. Loving the feature.
DarkAkira
I agree.

I think spaces takes good advantage of the new Core Animation for its transitions. It allows for a smooth transition without any realload on the system.

Like I said... Much better than VirtueDesktops.
mirra
Hi

i can only pitch in and add to the positive experiences: Leopard runs faster, and allows one to rotate the monitor into portrait position, even with a low-end video card.
A few older apps don't work: notably Photoshop 7...

Indesign CS3 has a few quirks with hiding and spaces: if you hide an Indesign document window, sometimes there is no way to make it reappear, even when you bring Indesign into the front.
ammonkc
10.5 leopard has been a really pleasant experience for me. I installed it on all 4 of my macs and haven't had any complaints. There were some people (mostly in the blogo-sphere) complaining about various things that they didn't like in leopard when it first came out. but to be honest, I didn't see any of them on any of my systems. The new network features have been awesome. I think its worth the investment.
M0rpheus
its good i test it
exit
I tested it some days ago and it is an incredible system...
Kashinilaya
DarkAkira wrote:
GOOD NEW EVERYONE!!!!

I installed Leopard on my MacBook, Dual Booting Along side Tiger. This way I can do either.

Anyway, thats not the good news.

The good new is a started work on making Leopard resemble tiger in the are of Prettiness (kinda). Here is what I have done so far.

- Changed all of the default folder Icons and a few system Icons (not all tiger, but the same folder style)
    - Hacked the dock to make it 2d again, no reflections, and give it a Tiger looking BG (still working on it to make it full Tiger)
    - Made the top corner of the screen rounded again (w00t)

SO far it is looking pretty good. I still have a small list of things to do though.

- Restore the top bar Apple to the blue Tiger version ( i might keep the rest of the bars transparency)
    - Change finder window icons to glossy
    - Restore brushed metal windows (i might not use it, but others will)
    - Restore Dock separator to Tiger version

Thats my list of stuff to do. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Once I have everything done, I will post screenshots and I will package it all for others to use. I'm sure there will be quite a few people who will be interested in this.

Overall, I say switch to Leopard. It is faster, more stable, completely 64-bit, and overall better. You can literally feel the difference doing just about anything. It is quite nice.

It seems that you know how to handle it. I tried to use my mobile modem in Leopard though and it didn't work. only in Tiger. I wish I knew how to solve this lack of compatibility. Leopard seems to have some real interesting features. I loved Spaces and Stacks, but didn't really tested them. Didn't have time. But if it doesn't work with my modem, it will be useless. I have no other way to access the internet from my home.

Do you have any idea of how to make the modem software work in Leopard, as it does in Tiger?
Studio Madcrow
A friend of mine hacked his Dell to run it and it looked pretty nice. Offhand, I suspect that it's probably more worth upgrading a Mac to Leopard than it's worth upgrading a Windows PC to Vista, but that's not saying all THAT much Wink
DarkAkira
Kashinilaya wrote:

It seems that you know how to handle it. I tried to use my mobile modem in Leopard though and it didn't work. only in Tiger. I wish I knew how to solve this lack of compatibility. Leopard seems to have some real interesting features. I loved Spaces and Stacks, but didn't really tested them. Didn't have time. But if it doesn't work with my modem, it will be useless. I have no other way to access the internet from my home.

Do you have any idea of how to make the modem software work in Leopard, as it does in Tiger?

You can grab the driver off of your Tiger system area. Find the driver it uses, and copy it to the same location on Leopard.

Are you sure your using an Apple mobile modem? Or who makes it?
Kashinilaya
DarkAkira wrote:

You can grab the driver off of your Tiger system area. Find the driver it uses, and copy it to the same location on Leopard.

Are you sure your using an Apple mobile modem? Or who makes it?

First of all, thank you, DarkAkira, for answering the post. (maybe I should have opened a new post, I don't know).

I should have explained better. My cell modem is not an Apple's, it's a Huawei E226. It's software is pretty lousy. (Mac OS X doesn't recognize it as an ejectable device, so I'm affraid of unplugging it when the computer is on, and it disconnects me when internet access is idle.) I'm new to Apple and I thought Apple's operating systems would mantain backward compatibility, but I tried to install the driver in Leopard and it didn't work.

I didn't understand what you mean with grabbing the driver off the system area. How can I do that? It is located in the Applications folder. I can install it in Leopard, but it doesn't run. I thought I would need to insert some additional code inside the driver's code, but I don't know which software to use to view the code, or some preference adjusment could be made in Leopard.

I really would be happy if I could use Leopard, but at present internet access is more important to me. If anybody can help me using both, I'll really appreciate it.
DarkAkira
Sounds like it is your device that is the issue. Something about the device's software isn't working correctly in Leopard.

Try seeing if tey have an update on their site for it. If not, it might be time for a new one.
xbcd
just started using it myself and i love it. Much better than tiger and i have yet to encounter any bugs. People say there are a lot but idk what they are talking about.