FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Choosing a College and Prestige

snowboardalliance
So I'm a senior in high school and I am choosing a college for next year. I have been accepted to the University of Michigan college of engineering and Michigan State University (honors college). I have many factors to consider before picking a school, but I was talking to my friend and have a question. He feels that U of M is better because it is more selective and "prestigious" so you can get a better job and "better" education. I feel that the difference is negligible and MSU may even offer better education at their honors college because more classes are taught by professors and in the honors college you get more small-sized classes. My question is, how much does "prestige" weigh in job searches? It seems like it can help for some employers but others don't really care. Also, for anyone in Michigan who knows about these two schools, is there really a difference in the quality (comparing U of M to MSU honors)?

I still have a lot to think about before I decide but I want some opinions on this part. Thanks.
loryl
Visit your schools to make sure you can stand living there for the next four years. A huge class taught by some professor who doesn't know your name with a discussion section by TAs isn't all that great. It takes more effort and talent to get your name out there. A supportive recommendation letter from a professor means more than the same letter from a TA (or from a TA and cosigned by a professor).

Prestige does matter a bit, but it depends on how well you do. An A at Harvard means more than an A at your average college, but a C at Harvard's gonna raise more eyebrows. Also, when you're out there job searching, the prestige of your last educational institution will matter the most; others - significantly less.

So really, it comes out to:
1. Can you do just as well at the more prestigious university?
2. Do you have the talent to distinguish yourself amongst a larger number of students?
3. Do you enjoy the place?

Hey. If YOU think that MSU is a better university, then by all means go there. YOU have to live with this choice, not your friend.
SFMeatwad
snowboardalliance wrote:
So I'm a senior in high school and I am choosing a college for next year. I have been accepted to the University of Michigan college of engineering and Michigan State University (honors college). I have many factors to consider before picking a school, but I was talking to my friend and have a question. He feels that U of M is better because it is more selective and "prestigious" so you can get a better job and "better" education. I feel that the difference is negligible and MSU may even offer better education at their honors college because more classes are taught by professors and in the honors college you get more small-sized classes. My question is, how much does "prestige" weigh in job searches? It seems like it can help for some employers but others don't really care. Also, for anyone in Michigan who knows about these two schools, is there really a difference in the quality (comparing U of M to MSU honors)?

I still have a lot to think about before I decide but I want some opinions on this part. Thanks.

Grats on the acceptance. Depends on what's in the college and all that. Quality, assurance, etc. I'm a sophomore and already considering applying to either MIT (lol..) or University of Phoenix somewhere.

-meatwad
Magicman
I'm in this same situation right now. I don't know whether to go to a college that is very prestigious or just one where I will be comfortable with the academics. I have the test scores to get into some top of the line colleges but I don't know if I could keep up with the workload there comfortably.
If you plan on going to grad school then prestige is more important. By that I mean that picking a prestigious graduate school is more important than picking a prestigious undergraduate school. That is what I have heard at least.
Personally I don't like the whole concept of prestige. I think a person should be judged more on who they are and what they can do than on where they went to school.
bukaida
A pedigree is always important for outside world as a first impression. It is tough to get in a good college and a student passed out from that college is expected to be good.It is not the professor or the number of students but it is the system of that college which makes a good finished product(human).The possibility of being passed out with a very low grade is very less because of the two reasons--
1. The student admitted through proper admission procedure and screening is always a good student.

2. The regular sessional examinations prevent an academically poor student to sit for the final examination unless he/she gets a minimum marks in sessional.

But still an exceptional individual can perform from any platform but in general a good college is always a better choice.
Davidgr1200
One of the important things to do at college is to make friends and build up your contact network. In general a more prestigious college will attract better students and thus your contact network will be with more successful people. This can be a great advantage in later life. Whether there is a major difference in status between the two you mention is another matter. Try asking some adults who have some status- doctors, lawyers etc - they will know, but they will probably not post here!
Coclus
That really depends on the job you will choose. But in these circumstances, I would say the choice doesn't really matter, as long as you do real good.
cloudship
a prestigious schooll weighs a lot in job hunting, believe me.
interiordesignr
I'll have to echo the fact that certain colleges, i.e. Ivy Leagues, have prestige attached to them compared to community colleges. However, in your case, the most important thing to consider is how good and comfortable you'll do in the college you'll plan to attend, regardless of prestige, and how conducive the learning environment will be for you. Visit both schools and see the place and learning environment for yourself before deciding which school to choose.
Greatking
in life its really all about choices. they are both good schools so like the other guy said go to each of the schools see if you can stand in the compound and imagine being there for the next four years. see if you can stand it then take it. some employers dont care about the school you have been to as long as you have what they want and you can deliver. some unfortunately make a fuss about 'classy schools and all that doesn't hold water. cause in the end it depends on delivery. and some people fail poorly in that area. so go study in your choice of school as long as its a good school anyway with or without the 'prestige and class stuff.
pll
it's nice to see how in the United-States the choice of schools is important.
Here in Canada, our schools doesn't have more prestiges than other ones. (except for the private schools) and it's like always the same program for every school!

When you come to college, it's the same thing, there are like 3 colleges in my city that offers the exact same classes in the same program( CG graphics in my case ). You chose which one is the nearest...

Sometimes with private schools they do some contests to find the best one but it's nothing like you in the united-states!