FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows logs off on logon

KHO
Ok, heres the scenario,
I have a Windows XP Home SP2 laptop, one day its working well and fine, the next day it logs off immediately after I log on and boots me back to the welcome screen.
The day that this happened, I had run a virus scan with Norton Anti-Vir, and deleted some old cookies, no big deal, also I noticed I had a couple of large applications with programs loading on login. I deleted the entries of Adobe Photoshop and Quicktime from the startup section. I rebooted my machine, and then get kicked out every-time I try and log on. I have tried inserting the XP disk and going into the recovery console and running a chkdsk which did nothing and I have tried booting in safe mode and on another account (also in and out of safe mode) with the same results.
mystzero
Quote:

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry (see Phase II in this page) and change it accordingly.

Source : http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
KHO
mystzero wrote:
Quote:

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry (see Phase II in this page) and change it accordingly.

Source : http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

Ya, already tried that one too, just forgot to mention it. The problem with this fix is that the missing file is NOT wsaupdater.exe. So how can I find the right file?
mystzero
Verify whether userinit.exe is inside %windir%\system32. If it's not, go into recovery console and type in your cd-rom drive letter. Press <Enter>. Then cd I386 followed by expand USERINIT.EX_ "%windir%\system32\userinit.exe".

You could also try overwriting it if userinit.exe is there as the existing userinit.exe could be corrupted.
KHO
I have confirmed location of userinit.exe and have booted with Bart PE confirming that regedit points it there. After several hours of reading through logs and reg keys I have given up and just backed up all the files and re-installed windows. Boots fine now, thanks for attempted assistance all. This thread may be closed.