FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP Rapid Application Development

simplyw00x
Does anyone have any suggestions for PHP RAD frameworks? I'm thinking PHP-on-rails. Also, are there any scripts/macros for VIM that can create that slick auto-completion effect in Rails-esque videos?
MrBlueSky
I have tried Delphi for PHP from Codegear. It is a RAD environment like Visual Basic, Delphi, etc. with drag-and-drop forms. It speeds up developing very much, and using AJAX is very easy. You can specifiy both server side and client side actions for elements (for example clicking a button) and all the code to handle the action on the server (PHP) and the client (AJAX) is generated by the IDE.

It makes use of the "VCL for PHP" framework, which can be downloaded for free from http://www.qadram.com/vcl4php/

If you want to see how developing using Delphi for PHP works, check out this movie clip: http://www.qadram.com/vcl4php/movies/form_validator.htm

But, there are some downsides to Delphi for PHP (at least when I tried it, about a year ago):
- virtually no usefull documentation. The documentation and reference which comes with the package is an autogenerated class-reference, which makes no sense if you not already familiar with VCL for PHP.
- Delphi for PHP is still buggy and in an early development stage
- A lot of overhead for small applications: the code generated for small applications has a lot of classes and files, most of which propably aren't used.
- The generated code is complicated and hard to understand. It takes a lot of study to be able to change the generated code without help from the visual IDE. Which basically means you are dependend on the IDE: if some action or property isn't supported by the IDE, you can't use it. Even if VCL for PHP supports it.
- Although the framework it uses (VCL for PHP) is free, Delphi for PHP isn't
kv
check www.cakephp.org. It is a framework with lot of built in components with convention instead of configuration. Defining an application is as simple as creating a directory. Fetching few rows from a table in a particular order and displaying it in a table is as simple as extending a php class, set few attributes and drop the file into the directory.
simplyw00x
Does either of these systems have a guide for setting up a text editor (ideally VIM, which I saw used in the cakephp videos) for the autocompletion and general productivity enhancement?
MrBlueSky
simplyw00x wrote:
Does either of these systems have a guide for setting up a text editor (ideally VIM, which I saw used in the cakephp videos) for the autocompletion and general productivity enhancement?

VIM 7.1 has support for PHP-autocompletion and syntax-highlighting. Maybe this short guide can help you? http://ruturajv.wordpress.com/2006/12/21/vim-7-autocomplete/
simplyw00x
Hmm that's an excellent link but it's not quite as good as the cakephp completion they had. Any other hints?
tukun2009manit
simplyw00x wrote:
Hmm that's an excellent link but it's not quite as good as the cakephp completion they had. Any other hints?

but is there any tutorial for delphi or it is very simple to use thanks for the information
rvec
what about symphony?
http://www.symfony-project.org/