You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is the concept of "concert pitch" really necessary

Okay, for some reason, the concept of having a concert pitch seems to bother me. Now, I know that different instruments have different keys, and thus there is a need to establish a common ground via concert pitch, but...

(Just as a quick definition in case you are not familiar with concert pitch, it's basically a way of determining ABSOLUTELY what pitch a note is, since different instruments have different note names for the same "sound")

...I was just wondering what was the problem with doing it this way:
Now, let's use the alto saxophone as an example. It's in the key of E-flat, (quick definition: meaning the note C on a piano sounds the same as an E-flat on the alto sax). Now, when you learn the instrument, they tell you that three fingers down on the left hand produces the G on the sax (this is the same as B-flat on the piano, or concert pitch). Now, why can't they just tell you that "three fingers down" is in fact, B-flat? Even though we know it as "G", if they just said it was "B-flat", couldn't we avoid the whole hassle of transposing notes?

I'm just throwing this idea out there because I can =P

But basically the gist of my argument is: do we really need arbitrary different keys for different instruments? If we simply called the G on the alto sax a B-flat, then wouldn't we not need to transpose?

Anybody else ever give this any thought?
Yes, we do need it. The reason that the saxophone and other instruments are in different keys is to reduce the amount of ledger lines in the music. If your E-flat saxophone was made a "C" instrument, you would need more ledger lines in order to accommodate the range of your instrument. This would make it more difficult to read, at least for me. I always had trouble figuring out what note a ledger line represented, especially when there were 3 or more lines. This would be common if your instrument wasn't designated an "E-flat" instrument.

There may be other reasons, too, but this is the one I've always heard.
I used to think the same as the OP, but after a few years of music school, I learned about the variouss instruments. In addition to the already mentioned ledger line issue, there is also the issue of the instruments themselves.

In Beethoven's day, a French horn player would put a different attachment valve on his horn depending on what key was called for. If it said "horn in D" then he used one attachment, and if it said horn in F he would use no attachment (french horn being in F already). Same with clarinet and English horn.