FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Black Friday - what'd ya get?

Liu
So Black Friday is coming up. Anyone planning to fight the crowds and start early purchases? What are you going to buy?

I'll say this in advance because I expect it, no need for the "I'm a non-consumer whore."

Edit:

Quote:

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving and is the beginning of the traditional Christmas shopping season in the United States. Since Thanksgiving falls on the fourth Thursday in November in the United States, Black Friday may be as early as the 23rd and as late as the 29th day of November. Retailers often decorate for the Christmas season weeks beforehand. Many retailers open very early (typically 5 A.M.) and offer doorbuster deals and loss leaders to draw people to their stores. Although Black Friday, as the first shopping day after Thanksgiving, has served as the unofficial beginning of the Christmas season at least since the start of the modern Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1924, the term "Black Friday" has been traced back only to the 1970s. "Black Friday" was originally so named because of the heavy traffic on that day, although most contemporary uses of the term refer instead to it as the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (i.e., turning a profit).

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)
gibbo
o god i forgot that happens Sad
Seiji
Isn't there a Black Friday around Christmas time? All I know is that I need a new PC and Black Friday would be the perfect time to get a new one.
william
Ah, towards the end of November, it isn't Thanksgiving I await, it's Black Friday. Twisted Evil What will I buy? Well, tough to say at the moment. I'm considering buying a laptop or two for someone else and maybe a new television. Of course, it's also a good time to buy holiday gifts. So, a couple gift items from Radio Shack and Toys R Us are all possible. I always attempt to get in line as early as possible, this year if the deal is right, I'm really considering staying overnight, just to see how it's like. Very Happy
raine dragon
I'm a college student, and I am taking a train home for christmas. So unless I find something that is both small and a really good deal; I won't be doing christmas shopping until like... the week before >.<;;
m00tmuffin
Luckily I have the day off, but will be working the Saturday after...no good. Hopefully the camera I've been pining over for months will drop in price and I'll scoop it up. :Q
mossuto
Liu wrote:
So Black Friday is coming up. Anyone planning to fight the crowds and start early purchases? What are you going to buy?

I'll say this in advance because I expect it, no need for the "I'm a non-consumer whore."

thats racist..... discusting.
Afaceinthematrix
I have to work black friday... not looking forward to it
HDirtwater
mossuto wrote:
Liu wrote:

Question Question Question Question

OK then.

Personally, I'll be working, so I'll leave all the bargins to everyone else who gets the day off.
m-productions
mossuto wrote:
Liu wrote:

and thats a stupid comment, Do you even know what black friday is!? geez learn before you speak.

ANyway I dont get to go shopping im stuck..WORKING!!!!!!!! AT THE MALL!!! -_____- so.... yeah, its going to be god dang insane for me =(
charisco
My wife works in retail and she is already dreading working that day. She is just hoping to make it through without being trampled by some customers.
missdixy
Hmmmm I may. But maybe not. I'll be out of town.
304esque
m-productions wrote:
mossuto wrote:
Liu wrote:

and thats a stupid comment, Do you even know what black friday is!? geez learn before you speak.

ANyway I dont get to go shopping im stuck..WORKING!!!!!!!! AT THE MALL!!! -_____- so.... yeah, its going to be god dang insane for me =(

Unfortunately not. Not everyone is from america.
Learn that bbefore you diss others for not knowing things specific to your country.

I'd like to diss you back with the same amount of venom because i don't know too. But that'd just be childish.
Liu
304esque wrote:

Learn that bbefore you diss others for not knowing things specific to your country.

I'd like to diss you back with the same amount of venom because i don't know too. But that'd just be childish.

It's not so much that the term only pertains to a specified country, it's the fact that when does 'black' have a negative connotation to it? Anyone who thinks using any term with the word 'black' is racist needs to check their own self ideals for adding a racist idea.
erlendhg
Now it's already been mentioned, but not really asked as a question or given any answers to it...

What is black friday?

(Sorry, I am from Norway, so I don't have a clue.)
HDirtwater
Black Friday is the busiest retail day of the year, the day after Thanksgiving. Stores open super-early and offer ridiculous sales to those who are brave enough to fight the crowds.

And on a side note, anyone who calls something racist just because the word black is associated with it, is as much as racist himself for even thinking it. Is the Black Sea a racist area of the world. Are astronomers racist for naming black holes? Am I a racist for asking for my coffee "black?" Get a life and a clue please.
MYP415
I'll probably go for a little bit but I think I have to work that day too.
woodenbrick
I have never heard of this holiday, for us Black Friday refers to anytime a Friday the 13th occurs.

Liu wrote:

It's not so much that the term only pertains to a specified country, it's the fact that when does 'black' have a negative connotation to it? Anyone who thinks using any term with the word 'black' is racist needs to check their own self ideals for adding a racist idea.

While it's stupid to refer to it as being racist, you must admit that the word black does have a lot of negative meanings.
m-productions
304esque wrote:
m-productions wrote:
mossuto wrote:
Liu wrote:

and with that comment I find you ask much as an idiot of him, my last line in that was "LEARN BEFORE YOU SPEAK" He didnt know what it is (which is what you just said) so he had no point in and saying some random thing now did he?

HDirtwater wrote:

And on a side note, anyone who calls something racist just because the word black is associated with it, is as much as racist himself for even thinking it. Is the Black Sea a racist area of the world. Are astronomers racist for naming black holes? Am I a racist for asking for my coffee "black?" Get a life and a clue please.

Well said. Its just down right annoying honestly.

Anyway on the main topic, I finally got my hours for it... I was hoping for a closing shift, cause im normally a closer, but im stuck from 8 AM to 5:30 PM 9 hour shift... and then I have the very same shift on Saturday.... Not looking forward to this at all. The mall at which I work at is actully opening at 5 AM! and giving out free coffee at that lol. I feel sorry for the openers that day, they are getting there at 4AM! ouch...
Liu
I'm actually working 4 AM - 12 PM Sad Making sure a big corporate website doesn't go down this year like last year because of all the traffic online. So, an early thanksgiving dinner where I have to go to bed early.
Donutey
Eh, as my family is here (usually we meet up over christmas) I'll probably miss out, unless best buy has another sweet deal on a video card (that's where I got my 9600XT a couple years back for 1/2 price), but it's probably not worth getting up at 6am for...
Aiz
=/ I probably would not go this year, and even if I do, I won't be going early at all.

I mean, a few years ago, it was really a great thing, and not many people (at least from my area) actually went to those, and the deals were awesome. (XD so many free things, and discounts.)

Then gradually, more and more people started to camp out in the cold to wait for stores to open, and the deals just went worse and worse =/ Last year, around our local Best Buy, -_-; there were police cars around to keep everything "in order" >.>; and the store was filled with people even though the deals were just so-so.

But yeah, I can see how it is one of the busiest retail periods. (Just planning the deals for that day, and then handling the crowd would take a lot of resources) @_@ and the ads for sales started pouring in really early too, but none of them really appealing this year either (last year was bad enough). Don't know about other areas, but at least it's the case here. =/
friuser
I think this year is among the worst black fridays. It's actually not surprising if you watch the news or even read about it and it makes sense. The whole economy is not so good so inventory is less and sales been much earlier than black friday. The whole idea about black friday is that you would go shopping on that day because it is one of the only available holidays before christmas. Now if you have any sense than you know Black Friday has been hyped for the last 5 years because most shoppers do not shop only on that day and the deals are actually not the best on that day.

Door stoppers and other black friday deals where there are limited quantities is crazy and I've seen similar to better days when it's not near holidays but I guess I'm the one that is always looking and reading the dealsites. If that's not something you do than you will think black friday is the greatest but more seasoned shoppers will just see it as yet another day the mass consumer is less than informed.
Davidgr1200
Never heard of black Friday before - looks like it's only a local phenomenon in the USA. Don't think it exists in most countries. IN Britain and most other countries where Christmas is celebrated the bargain shopping days are directly after Christmas in the days between Boxing day and New Year. The weekends get worse and worse the closest you get to Christmas. The only time shops open extra early is when something like a new Harry Potter book is released.
applejunk
There arn't that many good deals out on Black Friday if you're not looking at everything associated with electronics. It's a good time to buy cell phones, computers, lap tops, cameras, etc. but clothes and accessories are pretty much out of the question. Even though stores claim they cut down the prices, it is by no means even comparable with some of the prices slashed down at electronic retail stores. I used to work in one and it's just completely insane. We would have to stay awake all night at the store just so we could provide service to the morons standing outside in the dark at 5 am. Some of those people had been there since Thanksgiving night, and the line stretched all the way around and out from the building. Who wants to spend Thanksgiving standing outside a store?!
asim
Liu wrote:

Edit:

Quote:

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving and is the beginning of the traditional Christmas shopping season in the United States. Since Thanksgiving falls on the fourth Thursday in November in the United States, Black Friday may be as early as the 23rd and as late as the 29th day of November. Retailers often decorate for the Christmas season weeks beforehand. Many retailers open very early (typically 5 A.M.) and offer doorbuster deals and loss leaders to draw people to their stores. Although Black Friday, as the first shopping day after Thanksgiving, has served as the unofficial beginning of the Christmas season at least since the start of the modern Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1924, the term "Black Friday" has been traced back only to the 1970s. "Black Friday" was originally so named because of the heavy traffic on that day, although most contemporary uses of the term refer instead to it as the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (i.e., turning a profit).

Source:

You know india we have a movie called Black Friday..... which is related toBombay Blast of 1992....
[FuN]goku
never heard of black friday until now Smile
Liu
So now that black friday is upon us, anyone brave the crowds and made any specific purchases or deals?
HDirtwater
Well, my sweetie bought us a 52" HDTV that's being delivered at 730 am tomorrow. I guess that's something... Wink

I'm still a little in shock... Shocked
Drawingguy
I stood out in front of best buy from 3:30 in the morning, waiting for the doors to open at 5. Mind you, it wasn't that warm, and a tad windy. I went with some friends, though, so it was fun, and the time passed quicker than it would have, had I been alone.

I kind of just went along for the experience, but I did manage to pick up Monty Python and the Holy Grail, for a mere 5 dollars. I bought some video games as presents, while I was at it, but, unfortunately, those weren't on sale.
brilliantbeauty
God, I hate shopping on Black Friday. I am not a patient person and I hate lines. But anyway, I didn't really go for anyt of those crazy electronics door busters, but I picxked up like 4 tops, a new pair of jeans, this really great pair of boots, winter assecories, and some gifts. Smile All on sale. YAY!
standready
I did not go out into the mess this year. I saw nothing worth fighting the crowds over. I enjoyed my sleep.
markblu
I didn't go out myself because I really don't have any money to be going out with lol. But my friends got a great deal on a PS2, 80 dollars with some games and controller then a 20 dollar pack with a wireless controller a memory card and 3 games under 14 dollars or something like that. It was a good deal when I heard about it somewhere like gamestop? But yea I heard there were deals on computers and everything like 300 dollars for a decent system that runs vista (no I am not a vista fan).
SpellcasterDX
Well I couldn't really go out, even if I wanted. I'm just 14. Razz
Not that I'd want to, but yea.

Anyway my family didn't. We don't really have a need for electronics at the moment. We'll probably just buy clothes that are on sale, since they stay on sale starting on Friday. But that'll probably be on the weekend.
Futile
First off Black Friday is just a name; because as mentioned before it's the biggest sales day of the year and stores open before day break and the sales always end in the "black". Being an African American if anyone has a right to be offended I should and I am not. If you took offense to that term then you may really need to take a look in the mirror.

Anyways, here is my run down of the day:
Starting at 3am to wait in the first line

Wal-Mart - Sale started at 5am
1 - 42" LCD HDTV 1080
15 - Misc DVDs
1 - Microwave
1 - Hoodie
2 - Terri Cloth sweat suits
1 - Bratz Funky Fashion Head
3 - Misc Game Boards

Target - Sale started at 6am
1 - 19" LCD TV/DVD Combo
3 - Misc DVDs
2 - Dart Boards
1 - Microwave - yes the same model as Wal-Mart except it was 5 dollars more and the Stainless steel version. I returned the Wal-Mart one later that afternoon...hehehe
2 - Video Rocker Chairs
1 - Xbox 360 Guitar Hero III Bundle

Linen and Things
3 Sets of 400 Count Sheets

Game Stop Sale started at 7am, actually went to 3 different ones
1 - Wii Guitar Hero III Bundle
10 PSP Video UMDs (They were on sale $4.00 apiece)

After all the dust settled I was out about $1200.00. How was I able to do all of this? All of these stores are within a block of each other and I had a partner in crime.

Not all my shopping is done but there is a huge dent in it Laughing
skygaia
I'm not in the U.s So I didn't need to line up for buying what I want or just looks great. I have read some articles about black Friday. It's very strange for me. I'm in Korea. sometimes I could see the ads for "Big sale, last chance".. but most people know there is no big sale..
more than 40% discounts... hm... it sounds great. if it happen in my country.. I will absolutely line up all night long. Laughing
hlavco
On Black Friday I went out to see a movie...
Liu
Futile wrote:
loads of stuff

geez you got all of that for only $1200? good run!
medievalman26
YAY! for all us crazy people. I myself got a Soul Caliber Legends for the Wii.
meet in rio
Ah, so that's what Black Friday is! I thought it was something along the lines of 'Bloody Sunday'...
eggg
I prefer to observe Buy Nothing Day on the Friday after Thanksgiving. It seems kind of strange to me, to spend the evening humbly giving thanks for what we have, and then to go out the next day and ravenously buy up all the crap we want... Suffice to say, I don't think it makes any sense celebrate the winter solstice with a solid month of shopping.
Afaceinthematrix
ummmm.... all i got was a bunch of rude customers and irritation. i didn't buy anything myself... i'm not too materialistic...
mimsxmassacre
I freaking spent $150 on clothes
most of my friends camped out at best buy to buy the door busters

I go around mid-morning. All the sales are usually still in effect and I don't have to deal with the traffic or the lines from the the early morning shoppers.
Donutey
The one thing that I regret not getting, was a 24" soyo monitor at office depot (or office max, I can't remember which one) it was $250, and I remember thinking that I could just go online and find one for about the same price. Long story short, I thought that I had seen the same monitor online for $239, but it turned out I was looking at the wrong one, and now I can't even find the monitor online, lest actually buy it.

I probably just get stuck with a 22" one, the extra size would have been nice for CAD though...
Alaskacameradude
Got a Wal Mart special 42 inch 1080p HD TV LCD display for 800 dollars. It's pretty sweet and a really good price. Plus now my Xbox 360 games are in HD!!!
gerly20
Liu wrote:

Edit:

Quote:

Source:

[quote="gerly20"]Why was the color black chosen? Why couldn't some other color be used?