FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Toxic substance in BEAD Toy :(

jcnet
China's state-run news agency says the country's quality control investigation
has found a toxic substance was contained in Chinese-produced toy beads that
harmed at least five children in Australia and the United States

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSL1086834

The same problem has been happening again and again.... and this time 5 children..

Read it...
Soulfire
First the lead paint, then the toxic chemicals. Well, I suppose we deserve it after outsourcing all of our industry to China, where we can pay workers a nickel a week for 12 hours of work a day. Yeah, we're all for human rights here Wink
Tim Graham
I was reading through the ABC News website the other day and was somewhat amused to read that the police were warning people on schoolies off eating the toy things for their narcotic effects. Smile
coolclay
Quote:
First the lead paint, then the toxic chemicals. Well, I suppose we deserve it after outsourcing all of our industry to China, where we can pay workers a nickel a week for 12 hours of work a day. Yeah, we're all for human rights here Wink

I know and people somehow claim to be "surprised" by all these nasty chemicals, lead paint and what not. What do people expect from one of the worst polluters in the 21st century.
Tim Graham
Tim Graham wrote:
I was reading through the ABC News website the other day and was somewhat amused to read that the police were warning people on schoolies off eating the toy things for their narcotic effects. Smile

Quote:
Schoolies warned off Bindeez binge
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2007 8:03pm AEDT

Queensland's Police Commissioner says officers on the Gold Coast will be alerted to the potential risks of a banned toy in the lead up to schoolies festivities.

The Chief Health Officer has appealed to young people to keep away from Bindeez beads, which have been recalled because they metabolise into toxic drug GHB when ingested.

Children have been hospitalised as a result of coming into contact with the beads.

Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson says the concern has been discussed.

"Any potential illegal drug activity is of concern to us for Schoolies," he said.

"It's one of the key areas that we focus on and we do a lot of work to try and prevent and avoid that.

"We do a lot of work to respond to that and deal with any evidence of it."

Tags: drugs-and-substance-abuse, secondary-schools, health, adolescent-health, drug-use, police, drug-offences, australia , qld, southport-4215, surfers-paradise-4217

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/09/2087138.htm