FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Firefox/2.0.0.9, Issue with Memory





pb421
Hi All I have asked this Q. b4 and all was good after.

I use Firefox and have upgraded a few times but the new version Firefox/2.0.0.9 seems to be wanting to eat all my memory. I applied Adblock before and that was fine. Does anyone know what I need to sort this out please
Srs2388
take some of the 'unnecessary' plug ins off... uninstall them and restart firefox.
dude_xyx
I was wondering the same thing. Does Firefox really has a some kind of memory issue ? removing plugings is not the solution. they supposed to work with it without eating too much memory.
woddles
Try reinstalling again.

Best way to fix anything Very Happy
welshsteve
Firefox has notorious memory leak issues. In other words, when plugins are loaded and in use, or when you have multiple tabs open, the memory being taken up by these is not released when you close them. It is only released when you shut Firefox down and start it again.

I have very few addons and themes installed.

AdBlock Plus
Firebug
Web Developer Toolbar
Speed Dial
McAfee Site Advisor
IE Tab
DownThemAll

plus two themes (Firefox Default and IFox Smooth)

Yet the memory usage has been known to get up to 200MB which is ridiculous. These memory issues have been in every version of Firefox 2 I have used. I continue to use Firefox because it is the most versatile browser.
©Wolfie
Srs2388 wrote:
take some of the 'unnecessary' plug ins off... uninstall them and restart firefox.


Doesn't work. I reinstalled my firefox which made it better. But the memory usage is just toooo high. This is one of the reasons why I'm using Opera.

But your plug-ins may be the cause, but there is a plug-in which clears all onused memory of firefox. It's a great help if you are surfing on the internet.
MrBlueSky
welshsteve wrote:
Firefox has notorious memory leak issues. In other words, when plugins are loaded and in use, or when you have multiple tabs open, the memory being taken up by these is not released when you close them. It is only released when you shut Firefox down and start it again.


Indeed. It would be nice if the developers of firefox would gave higher priority to solving this issues instead of adding all kinds of 'features'.

Quote:

Yet the memory usage has been known to get up to 200MB which is ridiculous. These memory issues have been in every version of Firefox 2 I have used.


When I don't restart firefox for a long time, I even get memory uses above 400 meg. Screenshot:




Quote:
I continue to use Firefox because it is the most versatile browser.


Same here. But I am starting to consider switching to Opera (at least partially)... Mad
welshsteve
MrBlueSky wrote:


Same here. But I am starting to consider switching to Opera (at least partially)... Mad


Me too. Opera is a very nice clean browser, but the tabbing system of Firefox works better. There are also very few extensions available for it.
snowboardalliance
©Wolfie wrote:


But your plug-ins may be the cause, but there is a plug-in which clears all onused memory of firefox. It's a great help if you are surfing on the internet.


Link?

I'm getting sick of the memory sticking around as I open and close tabs, and I don't want to uninstall more extensions.
I'll look for it, but do you have a link?
bloodrider
I also had that problem, the solution was --> switching to Opera (that wasn't the only reason Razz)
Every versions of Firefox, from 1.x to 2.x (the ones that I've experienced), had that problem. With multiple tabs open, browsing images, Firefox reached absurds values of memory use, 2XX/3XX MB Shocked Sometimes it even crash... (rare thing in Opera)
Probably they would have to redo much code to solve that problem...

welshsteve wrote:
but the tabbing system of Firefox works better. There are also very few extensions available for it.

In witch way? Opera appeared in 2000 with tabs system and Mozilla came after in 2001... In my opinion both are similar, saying that Firefox is better Rolling Eyes
The only point about Firefox it's his extensions, only who really needs them should stay with Firefox, but in my opinion they are superfluous, maybe some are useful but even that ones you can have it elsewhere.
I prefer stability, performance and potential Cool
welshsteve
Opening a new tab from a link is much easier in Firefox (holding down control and clicking the link). I'm not saying Opera isn't good, because i think it is an excellent browser. I just think Firefox is easier to use.
bloodrider
welshsteve wrote:
Opening a new tab from a link is much easier in Firefox (holding down control and clicking the link). I'm not saying Opera isn't good, because i think it is an excellent browser. I just think Firefox is easier to use.


In Opera you hold shift Razz
You can also use mouse gestures and simple right click + down moviment, much more easier for lazys like me Wink, I only have to move one hand Laughing, about easiness, give a real try to Opera and then compare to Firefox Exclamation just to don't talk about memory issues (a litlle mention to topic so I don't get offtopic Embarassed)
MrBlueSky
©Wolfie wrote:
but there is a plug-in which clears all onused memory of firefox. It's a great help if you are surfing on the internet.


Do you mean Ramback? https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/5972

I might give it a try sometimes, but it only frees memory reserved for performance issues. But it can't reclaim the memory which is lost by memoryleaks. And those leaks are the biggest problem.

Ramback is currently only available for Firefox 3, I believe.
lethaltriad
My firefox just got updated to Firefox 2.0.0.10. Dont know the fixes in this release but my firefox never goes over 80megs usage. I only have one addon installed though.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.