FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Super Mario Galaxy

garionw
I'm not going to get to play this game for a while (Considering that I don't own a Nintendo Wii), but whats your opinion of it?

I think it looks quite good, but it won't stand up to the original Super Mario 64, you won't get anything better than that. From what I've read, it seems to be a complex game, but that doesn't go with Nintendo's philosophy so I'm not sure what It'll be like.
traxion
if u ask me the super mario is over the hill

sure its fun now but the real mario games of the Nintendo u dont get back with a bit more grapich and a better sound

if u are a mario fan u play on a gameboy mario of on a Nintendo
Packfan104L4
It's been rated as the best Wii game to date. I'm planning on stopping by during an hour or so of Gamespots 3 hour live gameplay marathon to check it out some more. Not that it really matters since I have mine preordered and being sent to me using 2 day shipping.

Yea, the Mario concept is over the hill.... because selling the most copies of any game on a system means the concept's over the hill. mmmhmmm
Kelcey
It's getting crazy good reviews. I loved Mario 64 and can't wait to play it.
garionw
traxion wrote:
with a bit more grapich and a better sound

Some people dont want that though, they play the games for the storyline, for the friendliness and duration.

I would much rather play the classic Super Mario on the NES than a game on the play station, because I know that I will eventually get the NES version finished.
hlavco
I've heard great things about this game, but I also don't own a Wii... so it'll have to wait.
sthar
I am buying it today.
probably gonna play it all day Very Happy
Ive heard great things about it too.
Its cool that its different gravity on every world.
mrimp
ONM gave it 97% which is as good as resident evil 4. I can't wait to get it- imagine mario 64 but better.
driftingfe3s
garionw wrote:
traxion wrote:
with a bit more grapich and a better sound

Some people dont want that though, they play the games for the storyline, for the friendliness and duration.

I would much rather play the classic Super Mario on the NES than a game on the play station, because I know that I will eventually get the NES version finished.

Yes a good storyline is great to have but I don't think people are expecting that from Mario. Since when has a Mario game have a good storyline? Almost all Mario games follow the same basic outline with no real depth behind it. Princess Peach is captured by some evil foe and has to be rescued.
Packfan104L4
OK, I bought the game and have put about 15 hours into it, so I think I can give a pretty good opinion on it.

BUY THIS GAME. When I say I've been playing for 15 hours, I'm only in about 43 stars and you need to have 60 to "beat" the game. There's 120 stars in total and you unlock some new "things" which I won't mention because I don't want to include any spoilers. Yes the game starts off easy, but ramps up in the later galaxies. There are also tons of extremely difficult side galaxies that don't need to be completed unless you're going for 100% completion.

The graphics are some of the best for the Wii to date. The textures are amazing and there haven't been any framerate drops from what I've played so far.

And for the person that was asking about the storyline, there really is none. Bowser takes Peach and Mario has to save her. Whoopee. If you're going into this game looking for a story, go buy a copy of Paper Mario, you won't be disappointed. SMG is all about gameplay and LOTS of it.
Fire Boar
Slight side-point - you can get Paper Mario on the VC for your Wii for 7, the Thousand Year Door on the built-in Gamecube Emulator for... really cheap from a second-hand game shop, and Super Paper Mario on the Wii for the price of a normal game. I prefer the GC one out of the three, followed by the N64 version. The newest I think is the weakest of the lot (where have all the turn-based battles gone?!). It's more "nostalgia" than "game". But hey, it's still funny.

Okay, back to SMG. I haven't played it but... I'm sure it'll be good. I'd like to borrow it some time... whether I'll actually buy it remains to be seen.
benjmd
I lack a Wii and the money to buy a Wii and most importantly the time to play a Wii as much as I would if I had a Wii, but Super Mario Galaxy looks amazing. I've played all the Mario games before the Wii system and they were all great. Packfan104L4 hit the nail on the head:

Packfan104L4 wrote:
SMG is all about gameplay and LOTS of it.

All the Mario action/adventure games (I'm not including spin-offs like Paper Mario) are about the gameplay. Somehow it is always a bit novel and always incredibly fun gameplay. Character upgrades throughout the game are not used just once, they become an integral part of the gaming experience. Yet, the upgrade is not the goal of the mission, it is a step along the way. Ultimately the end goal (Stars, beating levels, etc.) are very, very simple. And yet, there are moments that challenge your dexterity and your ingenuity and other moments that are simply joyful (like running through a big sea of coins in the original Super Mario Bros. games) and easy. The thing is, they keep mixing all of these simple elements so that you don't get stuck doing any one thing for too long but you don't feel like you're constantly having to do something completely new, either.

Haha, I'm sure that all ended up sounding like nonsense rambling, but I really am amazed by the gameplay these Mario games have offered over the years.
DSGamer3002
I got this game a few days ago and I have to say it's quite spectacular. Smile Not only are the graphics 3 times better than Twilight Princess, but the gameplay and sound make it so much more enjoyable than ANY Mario game I've played before. I haven't played very much of it (mainly playing Guitar Hero 3 nowadays Razz) but I'm probably half-way done with the game already, so that's a possible downside, unless there's more to the game than I know about.

I highly recommend this game to anybody who owns a Wii, and has played at least ONE Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. classic Nintendo game before. Smile
Packfan104L4
DSGamer3002 wrote:
unless there's more to the game than I know about.

How many stars do you have?
DSGamer3002
Packfan104L4 wrote:
DSGamer3002 wrote:

34 I think. Why? Very Happy
Packfan104L4
DSGamer3002 wrote:
Packfan104L4 wrote:
DSGamer3002 wrote:

34 I think. Why? Very Happy

Well then you're about halfway until you're technically done with the game. Then there's another 60 stars after that to collect and other surprises after that
garionw
so really, a quarter of the way
QrafTee
Super Mario Galaxy's metascore is 98/100 which is really impressive since that beats Bioshock, Halo 3, Mass Effect, and The Orange Box.

If you don't know what a metascore is, it's the combined average of various reviews whether they're newspaper reviews, magazine reviews, or website reviews. Yes, it's not perfect because some reviewers could be a bit harsh or extremely forgiving, but that's why it's an average of the scores.
gibbo
Has anyone noticed how much our favourite classic games like marrio and sonic when made into a new gameing console such as 3d become so unexciting, sonic had its days on the early sager, mario probably had its last breath on nintendo 64 been marrio world 64 after that they all declined. what do you think?
garionw
gibbo wrote:
Has anyone noticed how much our favourite classic games like marrio and sonic when made into a new gameing console such as 3d become so unexciting, sonic had its days on the early sager, mario probably had its last breath on nintendo 64 been marrio world 64 after that they all declined. what do you think?

I will agree that Super Mario Sunshine (or what it was called) was a bit of a letdown, but Super Mario Galaxy has knocked The Legend of Zelda off the top position, one that had been there for a good 9 years.

But it is still early days, there have only been 3 Mario 3D games made.
vonboy
Well' I have it and I have like 105 stars right now. Its actually more like mario 64 the sunshine was, and I know ya'll take that as a good thing.
eday2010
Has anyone else noticed that in the title "Super Mario Galaxy" on the cover, that the letters with the sparkles on the bottom corners spell out U R MR GAY?

Someone in another forum pointed it out. I think it's coincidence, but who knows.

garionw
eday2010 wrote:
spell out U R MR GAY?

Wow... I didn't notice that - how funny
eday2010
If you re-arrange them, they spell out Murray G or G Murray. Maybe that is someone the cover designer knows.
garionw
eday2010 wrote:
If you re-arrange them, they spell out Murray G or G Murray. Maybe that is someone the cover designer knows.

or it is the cover designer
eday2010
Could be. Depends on where the cover was designed. I presumed it was done in Japan by a Japanese person. They tend to have less-english names Razz. But the cover could have been designed elsewhere too. Smile
federicosauretetencabo
it is said to be even better than M64 and it has been best average rated game ever, surprassing Zelda oOT. I am now traveling, but today I come back home, I am almost as happy to see my family again as I am becaue of being able to play Mario Gallxy at last.
Whong
I've got Mario Galaxy and it is a great game, but some how the feeling isn't quite the same as in Super Mario 64. It's probably that the galaxies are so different from the levels that were in Super Mario 64. It has many same aspects as Mario 64, but many new and fascinating features.

Super Mario Galaxy is an excellent game and anyone of you who have a Wii should at least try it, because it's most probably the best game of the year! Very HappyVery Happy Wink
hlavco
I got this game and it's great. I like how Mario has most of the same moves and animations as in Mario 64. I just wish he could still punch and kick... catching those rabbits without being able to dive wasn't as fun.

The game itself was great, my only disappointment being that I beat the final Bowser on my first try. Some of the lesser bosses seemed harder... the boss fights were always fun, though, so I don't mind too much.
eday2010
When I eventually get a Wii, this will be one of the games I pick up at the same time. I've been tempted to buy it before I even have the console. I've got a list of a dozen and a half games I want to get, so I may start getting them slowly after Christmas so that I have several to play when I eventually get the system. I am very eager to play this game. I loved Super Mario 64. I wasn't crazy about Sunshine, but I didn't play it much. It will be another game I will get so I can play it on the Wii without need a Gamecube. Though I will get one of those too. I collect games and systems Smile
Whong
hlavco wrote:
I got this game and it's great. I like how Mario has most of the same moves and animations as in Mario 64. I just wish he could still punch and kick... catching those rabbits without being able to dive wasn't as fun.

The game itself was great, my only disappointment being that I beat the final Bowser on my first try. Some of the lesser bosses seemed harder... the boss fights were always fun, though, so I don't mind too much.

You're right there, the boss fights are way too easy in my opinion, but the game is great anyway! Very Happy