You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nodame Cantabile

Awhile back it caught my eye, and I watched the whole series of 'Nodame Cantabile' on Veoh. It was a highly addictive, quirky show made out of something something so simple as majoring in music college, into something so downright hysterical and memorable. I loved Nodame's obsessive weirdness and atypical bubbly personality, as well as Chiaki's contrasting prim and proper mien. Even after watching it so long ago, it still sticks in my mind every day. Has anyone else seen this anime?
I enjoyed Nodame cantabile as well. The characters were fun and interesting and becuase I like classical music as well this anime was very enjoyable to watch.

I was dissapointed when it ended. Both the live action version and the anime version end at the same point, and wanting more I accquired the manga which goes beyond where the two adaptaions ended. As I started to read the manga, I found it didn't feel the same as watching the anime. Altought the story was great, there was no music to hear, so I stopped reading it for the moment. I have read the live action version will have a second season, and becuase I'm not a fan of live action, I just hope the anime will have one to.
I didnt really like it. It wasnt the kind of anime that i like. Anyway it was a enjoyable waste of of my time.
Well there are people who like, and people who don't like it. Apparently, I liked it very much! It has great sense of humour, some music-related things and so on. And the drawings are very good. You see, the rating on is pretty high, so it's must be good. I watched it with Frost-Bite subs so...
The japanese drama of it is pretty good. The series is wacky though. If you like comedy or just random stuff then I don't see why you wouldn't like it.
Thanks for posting about this series Ruby! Upon seeing this thread I checked it out on Veoh also and ended up watching the whole thing in about 2 and a half days. It's very funny and nodame is a very loveable nuisance.

I liked it so much I started watching the live action series (even though it's pretty much the same story-line) and it's done pretty well too. I think I prefer the anime though, the expressions made in anime like the blank eye'd look made me laugh hysterically and that's not too easy to do for a live actor.

If anyone wants to check out the series, here's the link on veoh

I think if you enjoy the first two episodes you'll enjoy the entire series.
Thank you for the recommendation as well, Ruby. Finished it in a week. I loved it. Very heartwarming and inspiring (hey, it made me much more interested in my music class for nonmajors! ^_^ ).
Yay! I'm glad to see more people watch this anime, I can safely say it's still one of my favorites. (After watching a ton of different animes later.)
Aw.... I hope I could watch this series too.. but due to lack of bandwith I couldn't download it/watch it from veoh T____T

Actually I only read the manga and I planned to download the anime & Dorama Version next january....
Hi there,

I have seen the whole serie and this has become one of my favorite anime of all time. Besides, I ended up listening to classical music more and more. The anime has a pretty good selection (in my opinion, of course) of classical themes and the story and plot are quite unique.

More and more i tend to believe the Japanese animation can pickup any theme and make a cool anime out of it Smile

Stay Cool!
ok I've watch the anime and the dorama, overall I prefer the dorama version

IMO, in the anime version, if only the motion when the orcestra are playing getting better, I think it'll be much more better.
I think this anime is awesome Laughing
here are the summary of the anime for those who hasn't watch this or have no idea what is this about.^^

Nodame Cantabile

What happens when a genius musician pairs up with a ‘useless’ pianist?

Based on the hit comic book by Tomoko Ninomiya, this is a fun-filled quirky romantic story of two very opposite people. Nodame Cantabile is the story of Shinichi Chiaki and Megumi Noda as they try to learn about the value of music, people, camaraderie, dreams, and love.

Megumi Noda, or “Nodame” is a piano student at Momogaoka College of Music. An extremely talented pianist who wants to be a kindergarten teacher, she prefers playing by ear rather than reading the music score. She is messy and disorganized, takes baths several days apart and loves to eat, sometimes stealing her friend’s lunchbox when it is filled with delicacies.

Shinichi Chiaki, is Momogaoka’s top student. Born into a musical family, he is talented in piano and violin and has secret ambitions to become a conductor. An arrogant multi-lingual perfectionist who once lived abroad in the music capitals of the world as a young boy, he is trapped in Japan because in his childhood phobia.
They met by accident. Nodame quickly falls in love, but it takes much longer for Chiaki to even begin to appreciate Nodame’s unusual qualities.

The story begins with Chiaki during his last year in the university. Although he is considered as the prince of their university, he just can’t seem to come to the standards of the vile Etou “Harisen-sensei.” In truth, Chiaki has lost passion for the piano as his mind ventures towards his true love, conducting. Chiaki dreams of becoming a famous conductor, like his mentor, world-famous Sebastiano Vieira.

However, after a short dispute, he was kicked out of Etou’s class and was moved to another teacher’s class who specializes in teaching the ‘fallen’ students of the university. In here, he again met Nodame, a vibrant pianist who can’t seem to make her notes meet unless she hears them. The two then start their love comedy duet as they start tapping keys, breaking necks, and conducting an orchestra one step at a time.

Their relationship causes them both to develop and grow. Along the way, they meet some crazy people (like Masumi, Mine, and Stresemann) and make lasting friendships. Because of Nodame, Chiaki got the opportunity to lead a student orchestra and begins to have a broader appreciation of people's musical abilities. Because of Chiaki, Nodame faces her fears and enters a piano competition. Opportunities open up as both begin taking risks, stretching themselves far more than they ever thought possible.

here are some of the screen shots from the anime

I've watch this anime when one of my friend recommend me this, for some reason after I watch this, I developed a deep interest in classical music^^
If you like Honey and Clover or Classical Musics, you might like this anime too!

Read the manga ~>
Watch the anime ~>
OH I love this anime. It's a great comedy.

Live Action Drama is also Great . I like Nodame-Chan Very Happy
It's very popular in Japan. I think there should be more animes like this, especially about music, because it's orginal. There aren't many animes about it. Because I think everyone loves music (you don't have to be an student of music school, I'm not - I'm only playing guitar by myself and still enjoying this, maybe because I have a friend from music xD). The storyline is great, characters very sharp and charismatic. The music is also cool - and it's in HD xD. That explains for itself why I like it XD.
This is one of the best Japanese drama series out there in my opinion. God... I love the main actress. She's very cute.

The drama's pretty funny too. They've came out with a couple special edition movie sequel if anyone didn't know. I've watched the first half so far, it's alright, not as good as the original series. It picks up where it left off.
Good series. I really enjoyed the music and animation. Though the anime doesn't finish where the manga is, here's hoping they'll make a second season.

However, the live action drama has extended past the anime series, so its worth a watch if you want to see "how it plays" or you could always read the manga.
Anyone know if there will ever be a 2nd season made for Nodame? There certainly is enough story that can be made as the manga is still going on pretty strong.

I still have not finished the Live action, although it is pretty cool, I saw the animated version first and I think it will always embody my vision of how the characters are.
Nodame Cantabile is really good. I'm glad it's airing in HD, so the quality is very nice. I haven't watched the drama, but I've heard it's also great. You can't miss this anime. It's just too great to be missed :]. The plot is very funny. Tells about a messy girl called Nodame who plays on piano, and Chiaki, who is on a few diffrent proffesions. All of this plot is going on the music unversity someplace in Japan. Chiaki has a dream - he wants to be an conductor. So it's pretty interesting, don't you think? Very Happy.
Mrs Lycos
I dont see it , but i saw the dorama and i love it! it was like i can dont remember it 'cause it's
unforgettable. Wink
Hmm.. I just rewatched the dorama... and why did I think it's somehow strange...

Btw, Nodame Cantabille anime 2nd Season, named Nodame Cantabile Paris Chapter (Nodame Cantabile: Pari-Hen) will be aired next October.

(On that same thought, I wonder if it has been licensed in North America or anything, since it's so popular at home... It is a bit of an odd-ball though, so I'd imagine any company would be wondering if it's marketable, as it certainly is.)
Have you watch the tv drama series and the tv special which ensue the new cartoon series known as story in Parris. All have been made great. Cheers,
Hey, I've watched the Pari-hen session. So far it's "a bit" better than the prequel, just a bit, not that much improvement.
Some of my friend said that the story is a bit "rushed" too.
I just dislike the opening and ending song.

Well... so far I think it's 6.5/10. (I've watched 3 episode so far)
I am watching the new season of nodame as well. I'm also liking it, but so far i feel that the first season was better. I just keep watching because I enjoy nodame's character. I also feel that this season is "rushed" which is why I feel that season 1 was better because it didn't feel that way. I think season 2 will only be 13 episodes, so I don't think they will slow down either.

Edit: It turns out it was only 11 episodes, which is really disappointing. It ends a bit abruptly but luckaly a third season was confirmed for the fall of 2009!
Only 11? Strange indeed for TV series anime, They usually makes 12 episode for one season.
Possibly the 12th episode which should air 26th December got it slot taken by another show related to Christmas or new year event. So they makes it only 11 episode....
the dorama was great, then anime was so so, or is it just because I watched the dorama first, that gapped it from the anime, but all in all, its a really good fun wacky series Very Happy