FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

5 Awesome Sci-Fi Inventions

prole
5 Awesome Sci-Fi Inventions (That Would Actually Suck)

Quote:
Remember all those Star Trek gadgets you wished you had because they looked so cool? Well, it turns out looking cool is about all they'd be good for.

Here's five inventions that will be available some day ... though you may not want them when they get here.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15655_5-awesome-sci-fi-inventions-that-would-actually-suck.html
bikeridersonline
i want a sonic screwdriver from dr who
Jinx
Things this article forgot to point out:
With flying cars, we wouldn't have to asphalt half the planet so we can get from place to place, and, assuming they would be VTOL capable, it would make rooftops into parkinglots, so we could have much more green space in our cities. Yeah, you would probably have to leave the driving to an autopilot in congested situations, but that would free you up to read the paper or drink your coffee, or talk on your cellphone, or apply your makeup on your morning commute without causing an accident.
Of course, there's still the problem of actually finding a way to power the danged things.

Jetpacks: don't really see an upside to these the way they've been portrayed, like the guy said, the Rocketeer would have had his legs charred to stumps in the first few seconds... but, if we can come up with anti-gravity-like propulsion for the flying cars, why can't we also strive for anti-gravity Segways?

Transporters: Your body completely replaces itself naturally every (eight years, I think... I'll have to look up the numbers) through cells dividing and old ones dying off. This would just accelerate the process. If all of your memories are intact, and your body is identical to the one left behind, what's the problem? My big question is, would it accelerate the aging process? Tiny errors creep in as your cells divide and reproduce themselves, would being rebuilt from scratch every time you teleported allow for more cellular errors?
And I guess there would be the question of the soul. Would it be replicated, too? Move to the new copy? or would you be starting fresh with a new one every time you teleported?

Holodecks: I think these would end up being networked together like huge MMORPGs, so people would still interact, just virtually. Of course, people do that now and still manage to have lives. A lot of people probably would move into their holo-rooms permanently, but I think as many more would go on living real lives.

Replicators: No downside to these. If you eliminate the need to perform a mindless, soulsucking job to bring home a paycheck so you can feed yourself you'd free up the populace for more rewarding pursuits - art, literature, philosophy, science. And there would still be jobs to do - putting together the replicator fabricated pieces of buildings to make homes, replicator technicians to keep them working, doctors and psychologists (especially to deal with all the extra neuroses associated with transporter fear and holodeck addictions), babysitters, engineers... oh, and it would make having hand-crafted objects in your home into a status symbol, so craftsmen wouldn't be out of business, they'd get rich. And of course, you'd still have to have an income to pay for the raw material for the replicator to use, and to pay for the power needed to run it. And rent, and your cellphone and internet, and for the replicator tech to come fix it when it breaks down... oh, and don't forget the outrageous cost of fuel for your flying car.
nisibdv
I want a kinematic ray. I imagine it like a remote control wit a button. if you press that button when at the same time pointing
to an object, you can move it as if you where moving it with your hands. It would be very cool. You could serve yourself a pizza while on your sofa watching TV.
Indi
Jinx wrote:
Things this article forgot to point out:
With flying cars, we wouldn't have to asphalt half the planet so we can get from place to place, and, assuming they would be VTOL capable, it would make rooftops into parkinglots, so we could have much more green space in our cities. Yeah, you would probably have to leave the driving to an autopilot in congested situations, but that would free you up to read the paper or drink your coffee, or talk on your cellphone, or apply your makeup on your morning commute without causing an accident.
Of course, there's still the problem of actually finding a way to power the danged things.

Jetpacks: don't really see an upside to these the way they've been portrayed, like the guy said, the Rocketeer would have had his legs charred to stumps in the first few seconds... but, if we can come up with anti-gravity-like propulsion for the flying cars, why can't we also strive for anti-gravity Segways?

Transporters: Your body completely replaces itself naturally every (eight years, I think... I'll have to look up the numbers) through cells dividing and old ones dying off. This would just accelerate the process. If all of your memories are intact, and your body is identical to the one left behind, what's the problem? My big question is, would it accelerate the aging process? Tiny errors creep in as your cells divide and reproduce themselves, would being rebuilt from scratch every time you teleported allow for more cellular errors?
And I guess there would be the question of the soul. Would it be replicated, too? Move to the new copy? or would you be starting fresh with a new one every time you teleported?

Holodecks: I think these would end up being networked together like huge MMORPGs, so people would still interact, just virtually. Of course, people do that now and still manage to have lives. A lot of people probably would move into their holo-rooms permanently, but I think as many more would go on living real lives.

Replicators: No downside to these. If you eliminate the need to perform a mindless, soulsucking job to bring home a paycheck so you can feed yourself you'd free up the populace for more rewarding pursuits - art, literature, philosophy, science. And there would still be jobs to do - putting together the replicator fabricated pieces of buildings to make homes, replicator technicians to keep them working, doctors and psychologists (especially to deal with all the extra neuroses associated with transporter fear and holodeck addictions), babysitters, engineers... oh, and it would make having hand-crafted objects in your home into a status symbol, so craftsmen wouldn't be out of business, they'd get rich. And of course, you'd still have to have an income to pay for the raw material for the replicator to use, and to pay for the power needed to run it. And rent, and your cellphone and internet, and for the replicator tech to come fix it when it breaks down... oh, and don't forget the outrageous cost of fuel for your flying car.

i agree - i've seen these arguments in various forms over and over again, and they always struck me as a rather luddite view of things.

Certainly flying cars might be rather disruptive in our culture today... but so what? We'll adapt. We adapted to the development of steel, we adapted to the development of electricity, we adapted to the development of instantaneous communication all over the world... we'll adapt to hover cars (whatever form they might take).

Digital distribution of media will probably destroy the way things like movies and music are made and distributed today - probably end up destroying or at least vastly changing the movie and music industries. But so what? We'll adapt. We'll just change the way we create and share media.

We'll adapt to replicators and holodecks just as easily (and for the record, they are not that far off!).

Aside from the objections on the basis of real physics (such as the point about the heat of jet pack exhaust), most of these arguments are really no different from the ravings of a 15th century lord that giving the peasants harvesting machines will give them too much free time, which they will probably use to stage an upheaval of the status quo. Frankly, i can't really feel much pity for that lord, nor can i feel pity for people who whine about how our current system of economy will crumble when replicators come to pass and supply goes to infinity. Oh how horrible it will be when everyone can have everything, and no one suffers or starves!
jharsika
Bobby Pendragon: Reality Bug. The whole world was dying because everyone locked themselves up in a virtual reality game where everything was happy. They didn't realize that someone had to stay outside and make food and take care of those people in the game....drama and adventure ensue.

Moral: Getting too advanced is possible and dangerous.
powers1983
The only ones I agree with are the flying car and the transporter system.

The flying car I think is more a hundreds of years rather than a decades away bit of kit and will not happen until we develop an efficient way of stopping gravity.

And a transporter system which destroys you each time I think will have a hard time getting volunteers! A system to transport goods would also be useless - why would you want to destroy the original when you can just copy it and have 2 - which is what a replicator would do.

David.
amicalindia
prole wrote:
5 Awesome Sci-Fi Inventions (That Would Actually Suck)

Quote:
Remember all those Star Trek gadgets you wished you had because they looked so cool? Well, it turns out looking cool is about all they'd be good for.

Here's five inventions that will be available some day ... though you may not want them when they get here.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15655_5-awesome-sci-fi-inventions-that-would-actually-suck.html

Virtual Reality directly connectrd to your brain.
ocalhoun
The one I disagree with the most is the replicator; I propose that that would not actually suck.
If anyone can have any object they can imagine, then what will become valuable? Imagination! You could make money by imagining works of art and inventions that people want. What would you use that money for? Buying the products of others' imaginations.

Besides that, just think what it could do for the medical profession... Need a new heart? Get on the operating table and sedated (using replicated drugs), while we replicate a new heart for you.

After that, I would disagree with their denouncement of the holodeck. So what if it causes the extinction of the human species? That would be GOOD thing. And, it would be great while it lasted.
Coffyfacemk2
The tech i'd like to see is the genetic improvements humanity has in Ian M Banks' Culture novels

1. extended life span, to approx 400 years

2. internal drug glands, releasing man-made and harmless drugs to make you that little bit more awake, stronger, slow down time or make yourself drunk/stoned as required, all with no side effects.

3. conscious control of bodily functions; can slow down or speed up heart rate as required, full control over pregnancy to the point where an embryo can be held in stasis for years, etc

Might make things a bit more fun

Oh, and some of them alter themselves to have wings and whatnot...
yanille
Sonic screwdrivers seem pretty cool Very Happy
How did you find this? Google?
fpwebs
I want a transporter because that would be cool,but I don't think I would trust it because I dont want to be broken into pieces.
brokenadvice
Probably the worst invention would be the lightsaber. Seriously, a uber hot sword that collapses to the size of a flashlight? Everyone would have one for all of 10 minutes, till we cut off each others hands/heads.
rshanthakumar
Most of the sci-fi inventions would border craziness. But they do make interesting story however!

Well, at least that was what were the comments about Jules Vernes From Earth to the Moon or his leagues under the sea...

Many of these things have come true... For all that we know, we are incapable of thinking up the future in all perfection. There was this famous statement when Edison exhibited his motion picture without sound and some one said will there be sound with the motion picture. 'Sound,' said that scientist, 'with the motion picture. It would be impossible!'. Hardly a year later we had motion pictures with sound... creating history.
websurfer80
A lot of the gadgets in sci-fi are reality.
ocalhoun
websurfer80 wrote:
A lot of the gadgets in sci-fi are reality.

That would be because a lot of sci-fi is written with the goal of it being believable, and making things that don't exist yet believable requires a lot of work making sure that you don't write in something that is obviously impossible.