FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


[Official] Google IM thread (Google Talk)





n0obie4life
Heck! It isn't good to say it.

Yesterday, MSN Messenger released 7.5 for XP only. The webpages still state 7.0. Heck it, Its 7.5! So just download it!

Today, Google releases its BETA messenger for Xp / 2k.

http://www.google.com/talk/

Downloadable there. Its great. All you need is an GMAIL/Google Account to use the service!

[edit] added the super sensetive slash Razz
orno
i believe the correct url is http://www.google.com/talk/ or http://talk.google.com

trying it out as we speak Smile

EDIT: if anyone wants to test it out and needs a google account PM me, or if u already have one, add me! ornoghai AT gmail.com
tidruG
I don't have Win 2000 or xp.... NOOOOOOOOOO!
Deji
im

littlegnomes@ [gmail] .com

(websites address but hey ^^;Wink
n0obie4life
tidrug wrote:
I don't have Win 2000 or xp.... NOOOOOOOOOO!

haha.

This new service just sparked an idea for me.

I'll create an phpBB hack Razz.
tidruG
How about transferring this to the "Computer software/hardware" thread and making it the official Google IM thread?
n0obie4life
Okay Smile.
mars
n0obie4life wrote:
Heck! It isn't good to say it.

Yesterday, MSN Messenger released 7.5 for XP only. The webpages still state 7.0. Heck it, Its 7.5! So just download it!

Today, Google releases its BETA messenger for Xp / 2k.

http://www.google.com/talk/

Downloadable there. Its great. All you need is an GMAIL/Google Account to use the service!

[edit] added the super sensetive slash Razz



I will try Google Talk.

hehe
dan751
Google's IM program looks sharp, however, it doesn't have a plugin to support other IM services, so I can't see myself using it very often (if at all) untill it does, considering the IM service I use most is MSN's.
donj
Quote:
the IM service I use most is MSN's


That's it. As long as all my friends, who are too casual to change their IM program, don't switch to GT (Google Talk), i can not switch to GT and uninstall MSN.

So why should Google not build the MSNchat protocol in GT?
orno
remmeber this is just a beta
im sure a shitload more of improvements are gonna come out soon!
babumuchhala
Anyone who feels like adding me to their contact list can do so.
My gmail id is:
silentpark
actualy i hope there are comming plugins for miranda ... using gmail as an IM id is good i think (not as msn Razz)...

by the way i think some styles wouldn't be bad for G-Talk Razz
davmcmul
I installed google talk on my windows pc in the morning, i was happy, I noticed I didn't have any contacts but still I was happy, because it was shiny Wink I moved to my linux pc and was sad because google talk is not yet available in linux, I then found out that the im client i was already using(GAIM) is fully compatible with google talk(they even have a how-to on their help page) and I was happy because while i currently have 5 im progs on my windows machine, these are all the one prog on my linux machine Laughing Goggle talk looks nice but as of yet it doesn't seem to have anything special apart from the name, although i do rather enjoy the idea of it taking care of my mail as well, and of course it's all fully searchable Wink I think I'll wait and see what cool things they add-on before it leaves beta (why is gmail still in beta... Confused )
Grimboy
I'll use it when trillian supports it.
babumuchhala
i am a bit dissapointed with Google Talk

Its got no Smiles, the biggest drawback, plus conversing with 2 ppl simultaneously is a big pain in the @$$

it needs lots and lots of improvements, like sleath seting in Yahoo & smiles of MSN
n0obie4life
donj wrote:
Quote:
the IM service I use most is MSN's


That's it. As long as all my friends, who are too casual to change their IM program, don't switch to GT (Google Talk), i can not switch to GT and uninstall MSN.

So why should Google not build the MSNchat protocol in GT?


Yeah sure.

Google and microsoft are 2 different companies. Think!
jvachez
There's nothing in this IM only text and sound.

No webcam, No pictures, No animated gifs, No Handwritting, No File Transfer, No Flash, No Wink, No Wizz and No Smiley !!!
Ravi
YA..bcoz it is a in Beta stage it has mot much facilities..wait for Full release. I think Google will do it very soon...
babumuchhala
jvachez wrote:
No webcam, No pictures, No animated gifs, No Handwritting, No File Transfer, No Flash, No Wink, No Wizz and No Smiley !!!
Thats because its its first release ever
If they would have given everything at one go there would have been so many bugs it would have been impossible for them to release it.

Plus just look back at Gmail, it started of as a plain jade email services adding all the requsite features later on as the time progressed.

So as per the Google history, we should have an IM thats probably the best out there in just about a year
Indyan
I did a detailed review of it at my blog,but since it is in html it would take me long time to convert to bbcode.
If you want you can read it from
http://www.pallab.frihost.net/blogs/index.php/2005/08/25/p32#more32
babumuchhala
Pallab its a good review

Ya but i do differ on the ratings u gave. I would have give it 5/10 instead of your 3.5/10, just because its the first ever release.
Deji
am i the only one who likes this small chat program for just you know chatting

its 900kb so on my 2meg connection was an instant download, even for 56k users its not a lot to download. Lets you chat to people and doesnt take up much space.. which i think is a good thing rather than other programs

MSN Messenger 7.0 @ 9.1Meg
Yahoo Messenger (unsure of version) @ 4.1meg
AIM 5.5 @ 3.4Meg

as you can see the more features like the ability to send smily faces to other people increases the download size greatly.

im quite happy just being able to chat to people with out them nudging me and making sounds and stuff (i hate yahoo messenger its like the internet for 5 year olds).
n0obie4life
Nice comment on Yahoo Messenger.

I installed Yahoo Messenger and uninstalled it 5 minutes later.
Kit
jvachez wrote:
There's nothing in this IM only text and sound.

No webcam, No pictures, No animated gifs, No Handwritting, No File Transfer, No Flash, No Wink, No Wizz and No Smiley !!!


This is a bad thing? Look at the file size. Compare.
blueknot
One word from google talk.

CRAP.

it's the worst IM out there.

No feature. Simply a waste of time installing and testing out.
orcaz
I have been using GMail since February, and haven't thrown any mail. That is the good thing about GMail. You will never need to delete any mail, because 2gb of storage is almost impossible to reach, unless you use it as file storage tho. It is good for its labels too, instead of folders which you see in other email providers.
blueknot
pal, we are talking about Google Talk, the NEW Instant Messenger from Google Inc. NOt Gmail.

Gmail , i believe everyone should have by now.
arcdigital
google talk is pretty cool you guys should also check out gizmo project it is cool 2 (its free)
Anderman
Well, It certainly looks very shiney but....
I dont have a gmail account so i doubt i'll be using it atall at the moment
Embarassed
n0obie4life
blueknot wrote:
One word from google talk.

CRAP.

it's the worst IM out there.

No feature. Simply a waste of time installing and testing out.


Next time, if its better than MSN. I wanna see you NOT use it.

Look at its version number dude.
progman89
We really won't be able to evaluate Google Talk for a while, simply because it was just released. Until Google Talk actually becomes popular with the average user, instead of just beta testers, it will definitely be less useful than already-established clients. However, I think it will do well-it has Google's trademark stability and will be aided in popularity by its being integrated into the new Google Desktop.
Deji
just to say the voice chat is realy nice in google talk, also as its a 900kb file realy easy to give to someone so they can chat to you.

(i have gmail invites (like 200) if anyone wants one)
n0obie4life
Sticked. Too many posts on Google Talk.
gonzo
Google would never archive VOIP conversations, convert them to text transcripts, store them forever, and pry further into your life or sell your information or that of your friends.


nooooo, that would never happen.


And nothing of the kind will happen with google IM
n0obie4life
You indirectly telling us that Microsoft and the rest does that?
xiaarra
it looks good. im waiting for them to bring out updates. im sure it would rock.
gonzo
n0obie4life wrote:
You indirectly telling us that Microsoft and the rest does that?


no. But google will.
n0obie4life
gonzo wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:
You indirectly telling us that Microsoft and the rest does that?


no. But google will.


I see. Why do you say so?
OnlyOneLife
It's IM lacks Chat room, also it isn't able to connect to other networks yet. Also I'd have to say the install was amazingly small compared to other IM services. It's a good idea to connect all of the networks, but will it work? I'm sure google can achieve it.
gonzo
n0obie4life wrote:
gonzo wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:
You indirectly telling us that Microsoft and the rest does that?


no. But google will.


I see. Why do you say so?



Oh, gee, I dunno


1 - http://www.epic.org/privacy/gmail/faq.html

2 - because they can

3 - "don't be evil" is just hype

4 - google is filled with liberalists
4b - google for google news only using liberalist sources

5 - think of the profit! The underpants gnomes will be jealous
meangurl
sigh, google talk still has a long way to go.. the only feature that we call a little advance is the calling feature but c'mon, almost every messenger has that feature. although i can't really blame them 'coz it's still in beta. yet for now, i'd rather consider MSN and YM ('coz most of my friends are there). but i do have high hopes for this messenger.. after all, i'm a major fan of google. someday, it will be as great as AIM, YM and MSN

in my own opinion, google should work on something one at a time. they have worked on several services and that makes them slow, they should work one at a time and concentrate more on that particular service.
xiaarra
Quote:
sigh, google talk still has a long way to go.. the only feature that we call a little advance is the calling feature but c'mon, almost every messenger has that feature. although i can't really blame them 'coz it's still in beta. yet for now, i'd rather consider MSN and YM ('coz most of my friends are there). but i do have high hopes for this messenger.. after all, i'm a major fan of google. someday, it will be as great as AIM, YM and MSN

they have a long way to go, but they have shown that they are capable of doing it. the best examle is gmail.
they redefined e-mail. and now gmail is a top notch service.
Quote:
in my own opinion, google should work on something one at a time. they have worked on several services and that makes them slow, they should work one at a time and concentrate more on that particular service.

it is true in most cases, but here different people are working on different things. as long as they have an aim and all are working towards it, there shouldnt be any probs.
we see many companies coming up with new things pretty fast, but with lots of bugs. i feel that google is delibrately taking it slow so that they wont have much problems. whoever heard of an e-mail service which was in beta for over a year?
i would say that google talk would be in beta for more than a year... but in a years time, it would be competing with MSN messenger, yahoo messenger and all the other messengers, even when its in beta stage.
just look at whats been happening:
gmail is in beta stage, but yahoo, hotmail rediffmail and all the other sundries have been increasing their mailbox size following google.
google is a company that has been changing the way people search, email and all other stuff in a different way.
it would be a good time to check out google labs at labs.google.com u would see a lot of interesting things there.
google rocks... and if anyone says otherwise, i would like to know why..
THE11thROCK™
I have not used Google messenger yet. But with GMail, it's miles ahead of all other e-mail services. Google search is even far more superior than any other search engine around. Google sports a good reputation, I bet that messenger will bring great stuff too come it's own time.
LostOverThere
I enoy Google Talk, its heaps more simple, and doesn't have as much junk (such as winks) like MSN has.

Its easier to use, and takes no time to log in Wink
EmoDreamer
Google Talk looks good, sounds good and I think it's a good idea to try and start up a new Messenger service.... I never liked AOL, and W messenger is too unstable for me....especially with the bigger downloading stuff as it doesn;t support 'keep-alive'.....and Talk DOES.....

Google is trying everything to set up a new generation of Internet...I think they are starting to impress people.
Their Gmail is the best mail service I ever had, their desktop searcher is a little bit slow but works better than my windows 'searcher'....and now google talk seems to take over my messenger service:P
When i started sufring I used msnsearch....a week later I stubbled upon google and since that time I never used ANY other searchmachine....
Google has a good thinktank:) and a really awesome team....
kuad
Has anyone tried meebo? It is compatible with Google Talk but I haven't tried it.
n0obie4life
Some cool stuff for google talk.

Add these emails into your contact list.

conferencebot@gmail.com - Conference Room
alicebot.gtalk@gmail.com - Alice Bot, Talk to her.
wumpus.game@gmail.com - Hidden Game Bot (read below)

Right click on the google talk icon, then press about. Look in the fine small white print.

In the about screen you can see 'play 23 21 13 16 21 19 . 7 1 13 5'. Each number represents a letter.

a - 1
b - 2
c - 3
d - 4 and so on

When you translate this message it says: 'play wumpus.game'.
babumuchhala
that wumpus.game thing hasnt worked yet for me Sad

I can never see it online but my friend who told me abt it (Indyan) can.

Now let mw try those other 2. Rolling Eyes
Anttu^^
I have used Gtalk and it is very easy and simple to use.. the only prob is that alla my friends still use msn so i just have to wait until Gtalk gets more public Crying or Very sad
Raijenki
GT is like Skype, the voice quality is good, but it's isn't the same thing of MSN, MSN is better than GT ^^
grade-8
i heard that the google talk is full of spywares!!


it is true????

and if yes what to do ?
n0obie4life
kuad wrote:
Has anyone tried meebo? It is compatible with Google Talk but I haven't tried it.


Tried it, great ajaxing Wink. I love it. I shall stop using e-messenger.net and webmessenger.msn.com .

No, GTALK doesn't have any spyware.
blackplague
how do you get a g-mail account?
Arin
Raijenki wrote:
GT is like Skype, the voice quality is good, but it's isn't the same thing of MSN, MSN is better than GT ^^


As for me GT has a LOT better voice quality than Skype.

I've been using other IMs.. Yahoo, Msn and so on. But GT rox. Why? Becoz its simple. Without useless candies.

Give GT more time, and there wont be any other IM's :).


@blackplague
You need to get an invite. PM me with your email address and I will send you one.


Cheers,
Arin.
ammonkc
what about a gateway so that i can have both my google and msn contacts in the same client. does anyone know a google talk gateway?
brainster
jvachez wrote:
There's nothing in this IM only text and sound.

No webcam, No pictures, No animated gifs, No Handwritting, No File Transfer, No Flash, No Wink, No Wizz and No Smiley !!!


Text is all you need Cool
blu3bird
I believe there is more to come.

goggles was aimming to build a developers friendly im. dun really noe wat it meant. mayb it means to let developers build onto the existing goggle talk ? hmm interesting.
Josso
Awesome! Google software is amazing whatever it is. I bet it's tons better that MSN their servers are acting like someone spilt coffee on them recently.
ammonkc
Yeah, Google kicks ass. it doesn't matter what it is that they are doing, I trust google products. google understands the concept of simplicity. their products are always very stable because they keep it simple. and it doesn't hurt that they put all this out for free to the end user.
mars
haha,gaim can do that all.

now , I am use gaim 1.5.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/
bananaphone
Google Talk is fantastic - its like MSN messenger and skype combined!!
drbrennan
I love how Google keeps it simple. Of course it's only text and sound. It's called Google talk and it's beta. Microsoft, however, tries to muddle everything up by overloading every product with a lot of features no one needs, wants, will use or that even work correctly. I hope Google takes over the world.
drbrennan
One more side comment, does anyone understand how negative points work? I got docked for being "inactive" but what is the official ruling on that? How often do I have to post? I got knocked 5 then 10 points within a minute of the two emails. It didn't really seem fair and I don't want it to happen again.
davmcmul
well, either i'm going insane, this topic is turning a bit into spam, or it is getting very confusing and hard to follow :S

anywho, I got googletalk when it first came out, I don't use it that much but i make sure to log in so other people can talk to me on it (a lot of people i know are boycotting msn Razz)

I had expected greater improvement by now, maybe I overestimated, I didn't get gmail at the very beginning so i don't know how long that took to get rich formatting etc but its great now, I'm going to wait for googletalk to do the same Very Happy
ammonkc
I love google talk and all google products for that matter. the only reason I don't use it more, is that I don't have that many friends on the google network. most of my contacts are on msn, which I don't really like at all. but none of my friends are interested in switching or having two clients. so I'm waiting for someone to make a gateway that would let me use my msn contacts with google talk.
cokdes
Google IM is good. free and also easy to use
Phi
I haven't tried google talk yet, only because none of the people I talk to are using it :/ I guess that's the problem, since everyone's using AIM, MSN, or YIM now >__>;
bigdan
I've only just started using Google Talk...anyone wanna chat? Razz
hodgenpodg
Hmm is it possible that google could become the leader in instant messaging too? I think so they seem to know what they are doing over there.
moncader
Google's gtalk is great, very non-intrusive, never hangs, etc...

And yes, I believe, since google has said they will be a "One click stop" for the internet, I have faith that they will take over the IM part of the internet, once they expand the features of GTalk.
mattd8752
Google and microsoft UNITE, oh, if only that day would come...
squeakypants
pretty disappointing in my opinion. I just use it w/ GAIM
KHO
The only problem l had w/ GT is that, well theres no one in my buddy list Sad, not because l don't know anyone w/ gmail, but just because everyone l know who does have it doesn't want this, they would rather have these things that come packed w/ spyware (AIM, MSN, Yahoo) and l was extremelly impressed w/ the download/install times! It only took like maybe 20sec in total with my dial up (that includes install) and when l saw it begin showing me my e-mail in a really cool looking "pop-up" near my start menu, l loved it all the more. But it is still a beta sadly, and hopefully it will get those extra fetures everyone wants soon (please not too many emos though, l'm fine w/ all my "Neutral" just turning blue)
jovemac
Hi!

I am using SuSE Linux 9.3. Want to experience google talk. I tried downloading from googletalk. but its there only for windows. Can anyone help me how to install google talk in linux?
davmcmul
emm, google themselves give you a guide to installing on linux.......

however, to point you in the right direction......:

have a look here
jovemac
davmcmul wrote:
emm, google themselves give you a guide to installing on linux.......

however, to point you in the right direction......:

have a look here



Thanks for your reply. I cheked the url. But couldnt find for SuSE linux. Can you please help.
davmcmul
sorry, i have GAIM installed in my debian linux, i honestly don't know what would work on Suse. however, google talk is pretty damn cooperative with multi clients, so just find one of those, trillian perhaps, that works on Suse, and configure it to google talk. sorry i can't help more, but i really amn't an expert with linux....
jovemac
I got GAIM installed in SuSE 9.3. Its there available in the installation CD itself. Please chek disc #2. Also u need to install some supporting components to that.. otherwise it you will problem in login in.
picsite
i think it will catch on just as fast as MSN and we will all start going back to talking over the phone except it will the a headset phone over the computer...lol
Josso
Been using it for a while now... audio quality is really good. Some fonts would be nice Confused but apart from that it's cool.
lineagetoday
has anyone tried using google talk based on users from around the world.. like try googletalking (voice over ip) withsomeone in asia?? Or does google block the ports or wathever? If it doens't this will be a cheap alternative to logn distance phone calls!! too bad i don't have anyone to try it with or i would definaltely try it and post a answer here!!
dray101
i just wish they would add more features to it and make it easier to get an account ..... Sad

then more people would join and I would have some people to talk to

i cant wait till it starts to have some of the features the MSN, Yahoo and AIM have like emotions, backgrounds etc but with the fast and simple, easy-to-use Google style thats in the other services, like gmail itself! Very Happy I cant wait
kenetix
lineagetoday wrote:
has anyone tried using google talk based on users from around the world.. like try googletalking (voice over ip) withsomeone in asia?? Or does google block the ports or wathever? If it doens't this will be a cheap alternative to logn distance phone calls!! too bad i don't have anyone to try it with or i would definaltely try it and post a answer here!!

I haven't tried speaking with some friends but I have a couple of friends who tested this and were very satisfied. Many people say thats it's better then MSN, Yahoo or AIM, anyway I hope Google will add smilies or something to gTalk cause it's too simple.
Alacarde
Hmm, I downloaded Google Talk and so far I like it. Google always keeps everything nice and simple, and Google Talk is the same way. Eventually, I am sure that Google will add support for all the stuff that people want... but I'm sure that they will test it extensively in their labs before sending it into the public, unlike Micro$oft.

Oh, and to the person that said Google and Microsoft combining would be good... Google and Apple... now there's something worth wanting...

[EDIT]Oh, if anyone is using Google Talk and reading this, you can add me, mathewrb AT gmail.com
SamiTheBerber
Alacarde wrote:
Oh, and to the person that said Google and Microsoft combining would be good... Google and Apple... now there's something worth wanting...

I think that Google + Linux is powerful. Linux is open-source, so it is easy develope programs to linux. Google is good company and for mans business, just like linux. They should make more co-operative working. Thins is just my opinion. I like both, Google & Linux <3
John6000
Sad i got no people on my google talk except one person
if you would like to add me its johnalanrowe:At:GmAiL.com
z4c.
That looks very proffesional. Google is making everything now!
MHDI
Yea google tolk is pretty good but... i have got no friends who using this service ((
vinodmishra
Well the latest developments are that Google is merging Google Talk with GMail , so you can you Instant Messeging right from your mail Smile That also means for text messeging you dont have to install a client everywhere you go. It will be available right in your mail Smile. See the following link for more information. http://mail.google.com/mail/help/chat.html
riv
vinodmishra wrote:
Well the latest developments are that Google is merging Google Talk with GMail , so you can you Instant Messeging right from your mail Smile That also means for text messeging you dont have to install a client everywhere you go. It will be available right in your mail Smile. See the following link for more information. http://mail.google.com/mail/help/chat.html


That is really awesome. I can't wait until my account gets updated so I could try it out. That would mean that you can chat on any computer that has a supported browser and an internet connection. (I hope they make it avilible for Safari very soon...)

And to the other person asking about the points: You get -1 point every day. And if you get lower than -10, then Bondings (or any other admin) can delete your account here.
dennispater
I use Gmail all the time and now a day they put Google talk on the internet, but you got no future at all. And i need to say it works perfect. It does what it is make for. This is old chat. I like it because does new icons, wings, whatever it is all ¿¿¿. I only use it when I'm really bored.
I still use msn 7.5 (is it now already) because a lot of my friends are using it. But the people who i only speak to without rabbis Do I whit Gmail or Google talk. But i also think that Gmail talk will grow bigger and for the most people better. Whit smileys and other things.

I hope that someday Gmail and Microsoft works together and on top of course Google


Thanks Google for the good work.
greets Dennis
Insanity
While Google Talk can be great and wonderful, it won't really take users away from MSN or AIM because most people are on those services, and you will need a lot of friends to switch over with you otherwise it's pointless.
garionw
I like Gmail but the best thing about it is that you can chat stright from your browser. You DONT need to install any software just login and chat away. I always will use Gmail and Google Talk
vinodmishra
Merging GTalk in GMail is a great step by user. While it might not draw users away from MSN it certainly would add users to GTalk. I am saying this because earlier when I used GTalk only 3 of my friends were on it and after this integration almost 30 are on my list in GTalk. Drawing users away from MSN will be done automatically by MSN when they release Windows Live messenger Laughing
babumuchhala
Well i have written a small little review of the unofficially released latest Version 1.0.0.91 on my blog. Its got tons of upgrades like having avavtars and more customizability.


Read the full review of this leaked version @ http://www.muchhalasworld.uni.cc/2006/04/02/review-google-talk-10091-beta-leaked-version/

I hope you guys like it Very Happy
Azzer
Is it worth it? Defianitely, and how do I get an account?
babumuchhala
Well google has officially released the version i reviewd just a few days back.

Its the same version i will say with a Whats New page added on Razz

http://www.muchhalasworld.uni.cc/2006/04/07/google-talk-10092-released/
Shin
After reading this post, I went to my GMail and realise there is a section in the left hand side with chat feature. IS this the GTalk? Looks simple and easy to use. Will try it out.
caroline
Oh you have the unofficial version?
Is it the one with little icons next to it and different appearances for the chat box?
Because if it is, I have it too! and it's REALLLYYYY cool Smile
babumuchhala
caroline wrote:
Oh you have the unofficial version?
Is it the one with little icons next to it and different appearances for the chat box?
Because if it is, I have it too! and it's REALLLYYYY cool Smile
OH man what world are u in. Google has already released that version in public. Couldnt u just read my second post on this page Evil or Very Mad
Maryndor
Well I'm useing GMail for a while and I really like it. Congrats Google for that great IMC. The only minus that I can find out is the popularity. You see ICQ & YM are old messengers and they are like a trend, so nobody wants to switch to a new network. I think that software like Trillian will help GMail - otherwise... hardly to beleive.
DominickC
Gtalk, in my opinion is awesome.

It's fast and simple, and often runs when the rest of my computer is frozen. Most of my friends have switched to it. I don't mind the lack of features, and after all, it is in Beta.
guissmo
Google Talk is supposed to be awesome...
...if there were people to chat with there.

Well, seriously, I like Google.
I don't use Yahoo Mail anymore.
Instead I use Gmail.

Non-PC people don't like the idea of switching to a new shiny "Gmail" address for the following reasons...
--> they have to tell everybody
--> people who might have switch emails and didn't tell them might email them on the old address

and more...



So, I use Gmail for mail.
And Yahoo for IM.

But I really want to use GTalk.
internetjobs
it is working in win 2000,

the save histry option is very useful, isn't it...
kaokae
Google Talk like MSN messenger and skype combined.
Commando_Sondre
I use Google Talk a little, but when I only have one friend one Google Talk and 130 on MSN plus 15 on Skype you probaly know which IM's I use.
william
Google Talk is great, even though it lacks some features. These features include Emotions and Video. Though, that's not much of a problem. The audio quality is great. In most cases, for me, it has the best audio quality out of all my IM's. In addition, it probably has the best start up time. It doesn't take forever to start up like others. Overall, it's a great IM. Even though a lot of people don't have it.
fever
http://dl.google.com/googletalk/googletalk-setup-testing.exe


FILE TRANSFER
Google Talk now has file transfer! Your friend will also need to have 1.0.0.95, but currently it does not look like you need any ports to be opened, making it a very handy and extremly useful feature to have Smile
Quote:A small percentage of users (such as those behind restrictive
proxies) will not experience the highest level of file transfer speed
possible.
Update 1: Certain images are displayed in the chat window, as opposed to the icon of that file type.
Update 2 (vikke): Drag and drop a file into the chat will send it automatically!
Images will be saved in: C:\Documents and Settings\Viktor\My documents\My Pictures\Google Talk Received Images
and other files will be saved in: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My documents\Google Talk Received Files


MUSIC STATUS
Similar to Microsoft's 'What I am listening to', Google Talk can now display what you are listening to in your status! Both Winamp and Windows Media Player (even 11) and ITunes (may freeze Google Talk) are supported, please let us know if there are anymore.
UWereTheOne
I tried Google Talk, and I loved it, although I probably won't use it for awhile, since only one of my friends also has a Google account, and he's on XFire more than Google
rickshaw
hi, i am convinced that google talk is a really good IM. in addition to that, found this site called gtalkphone.com. now, it allows me to make PC to ordinary phone calls anywhere in the world and vice-versa. check it out! its cool!
thatsashok
vinodmishra wrote:
Well the latest developments are that Google is merging Google Talk with GMail , so you can you Instant Messeging right from your mail Smile That also means for text messeging you dont have to install a client everywhere you go. It will be available right in your mail Smile. See the following link for more information. http://mail.google.com/mail/help/chat.html



Thats coool.
babumuchhala
Google Talk's got a new preview release out with a version number 1.0.0.98 (current version 1.0.0.96)

The Changes include:

  • 2 New Themes: Orkut & Orkut Picture
  • There is a direct Signup link for Google Talk without Gmail (More)
  • All menus have a cool fade effect
  • Now filetranfer and call is inactive instead of absent in right click menu if the buddy is using a differnt version.
  • Show all Gmail Contats is now a more meaningfull "Show all address book contacts


Download Link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_talk/
varun_dodla
WOWWW....im very happy because i have a gmail account and as well i have xp in my system.
So i can use it to the maximum extent...
Thanks for google.
jeromep
I love Google Talk for 3 reasons.

1. Archiving. This feature made me so happy. I am the person who likes to save everything (such as e-mails, chat, voice chat, browsing history). In the case of my other messener, I turn on its archiving feature which saves your chat history in your local machine. But the problem arises when I transfer PC, or reformat my computer, or simply create another user in Win XP for me. I wouldn't want to manually transfer my history. Another problem is, what if Windows crashes (which I hope will not happen in Vista)? That would erase everything and make me depressed for 1 week. That's why, GTalk's archiving feature, which saves your chat history in their server, made me a satisfied end-user. Smile

2. Integrated with GMail. Brilliant. Truly brilliant. Integrated as in GTalk appears on GMail's sidebar. To me, as someone who prefers not to install, this is very useful. Integrated as in GMail's contacts are also GTalk's contacts.

3. Its Google. I love Google Razz. I admire their products because of its ease of use, simplicity, and usefulness. Through the products such as GTalk, I get what I need. In my case, the messenger gave me the type of archiving I want Very Happy

The sad thing is, not all of my online friends uses GTalk. In fact, just about 1/10 of them uses it. I wish that someday, all of them would switch to GTalk. So I can retire and uninstall my other messenger and save all that precious 20MB of memory usage Very Happy

Cheers to GTalk! *Tips hat to Google*
shyscs
I think google talk is great, I used it in my gmail window before but after trying it for no more than 1 minute I was convinced. It seems that I now have more people on my list in google talk than in gaim, but there are a few problems.
1. the vast majority of the people on my list use gtalk in gmail, so none of the call, voicemail, or file transfer features actually work for me.
2. Sometimes, randomly, the chat window just stops working and I have to wait 10 seconds for it to work again
in full, however, this is a great program.
xodia
well it all looks flashy but you cannot change your name or change the font of the text... Confused
wiehls
it is a great service but useless if none of my friends use it and dont care.
saratdear
I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there any option to "appear offline" in Google Talk? Or better still, appear offline to some and online to others?
tony
n0obie4life wrote:
Heck! It isn't good to say it.

Yesterday, MSN Messenger released 7.5 for XP only. The webpages still state 7.0. Heck it, Its 7.5! So just download it!

Today, Google releases its BETA messenger for Xp / 2k.

http://www.google.com/talk/

Downloadable there. Its great. All you need is an GMAIL/Google Account to use the service!

[edit] added the super sensetive slash Razz


yah - gtalk is a good program. i particularly like the jabber-compatibility. its nice to be able to use it w/ gaim. maybe someday voip support will be ported as well.
Related topics
Google Spoofs
PHP & Chat
Google to release its IM this Wednesday
Make an official free game thread
Google Talk Options
GMail
Yahoo SERP Position
Making money with ads
Anime........ Huh........
E3... ITS HERE!
Remove Fake Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
how to rank my website in SEO?
Android Thread
ICS OFFICIAL FOR S2 I9100
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.