FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Donutey, Version 3

Donutey
Current Design: Version 3

Quote:

As you may have noticed, Donutey has a new design. I've been working on it for a while after it became apparent that I needed to redesign the menu, and redesign the footers so that I could add new features. Instead of working with the old design (Version 2) I've come out with this one. Features are listed below:

Equal or smaller page size
Ctrl + (Increase font size) now works gracefully
Secondary links and translation are integrated into the footer
Fully fluid design at 800x600 and up
Font changed from "verdana" to "geneva"

Feedback feature
Auto-detecton of RSS
Below are known problems and future features:

Horizontal scroll-bar in IE [workaround implemented]
Forum height has issues in Firefox [workaround implemented]
Main menu will eventually highlight the section you are browsing, ie. if you are on a guide the guides tab will have the yellow drop down tab.

Experimental Design [OUTDATED]
I've been working on a new design to try out some ideas I've had recently. It's a fluid design, validates, but it has a horizontal scroll bar in IE 6 (working on that). Tell me what you think.

link removed

Old Design: Version 2

Weeeeeeeellllllllllllllll...
I got a lot of constructive feedback from my last (Beta) design for my website. This time I hope I've addressed some of the problems.

http://www.donutey.frihost.net/
http://www.donutey.frihost.net/guides.php
http://www.donutey.frihost.net/buildcomputer.php
Note: Some links may not work, especially those in the right hand links column

Features (>brag< lol)
- PHP based, all the menus etc can be edited from one page.
- CSS, all formatting stays the same from page to page, centralized editing.
- Small(ish) file size <16k for most pages.
- Lighter color scheme, for easier readability
- Simpler interface for navigation (still working on this somewhat)
- Most importantly, it takes a lot less time to maintain/ use, so I can focus on the content.
jveezy
You have a Firefox link at the bottom, but the page looks weird in Firefox. The tabs at the top are aligned to the right instead of in the middle (I don't know if that's how it was meant to be). The phpBB image overlaps the tropical image too.

The weather thing is kinda useless too since (no offense) nobody cares what the weather is like in Bloomington, Illinois.

To organize the page a bit more, try organizing the New, News, and Weird Stuff section into lists.

Your page is 35KB. Try to cut down some stuff to shorten it a little. If I were a dialup user, I would have left. I know you're using Frontpage so that's probably one of the reasons that the page has so much bloated code. To cut down on that, try using text links in lists for the side menus instead of images. The Frontpage code to preload the image rollovers is gigantic. Either that, or just have no rollover since it doesn't even highlight the images that much so it wouldn't make that much of a difference without it.
Harrowed
You use PHPNuke... Why didn't you use it like a Content Management System and build the WHOLE site in that format?

But then everyone seems to use PHP Nuke...

There are numerous other ones out there.. Check out e107 as a personal suggestion.

And for those who are on dialup you could try and add the zLib compression PHP entries... Would save a few kb's of size but when you browse around a whole site it could save a low end dialup user a bit of time.

Also the Apache Logo's been resized, yes?

It looks extremely weird... with it's axis being reduced like that.

Ahh I see.. You used Office to build the initial page... Not my personal choice but better then some I've seen who've used commercial packages ^_^

You keep wanting to add features.. *smack* Keep it to need atm.. Unless you're a fiddler and just wanting to get your fingers dirty.
hong
I am interested in the picture used in the top right corner.

There are two Chinese characters in it, which means PEACE. Smile
Zaheer Khan
most of the sites created in Frontpage looks strange in other browsers.. i dont know whats the problem...anyway good try..
Donutey
Thanks a lot for your time and suggestions:

Pertaining to the firefox/apache logos... I had forgotten that i had resized them and have since resampled them... so they look a little better.

The whole tab thing at the top i'm redoing so the formatting stays the same. I'll have it uploaded when the server is back up Confused ...

The whole weather thing... i'm switching to a news feed... ( bloomington's important too!! lol...)

PHPBB logo is fixed now... and resampled...

yea.. the apache logo is one i >tried< to make myself... haven't quite gotten the nack for pic editing yet... Rolling Eyes ... it might of looked funny cause it was a much larger pic not yet resampled.. i dont know...

also i'm fixing that rollover business (as soon as server's up).. i agree its pretty useless...

I've also noticed frontpage pages only display correctly in IE ... microsoft has got some issues there... also that in browsers other than IE the site uses PICTURES of the text boxes youve created... instead of the actual text.. thus negating any kind of search feature or hyperlinks... Mad also wordart is replaced with low quality pictures... i'm currently getting rid of all the text boxes...

Мир Fred 和平 ... all of it means peace... in russian, norwegian, and chinese thanks for noticing Smile

Thanks for all the suggestions! very helpful
jveezy
Quote:
The whole weather thing... i'm switching to a news feed... ( bloomington's important too!! lol...)

I'm not saying it's not important, but unless the site is meant only for people in Bloomington, then having the weather there is useless. Nobody anywhere else besides Boomington and the outlying areas would care about the weather in Bloomington. Even if you're catering to Bloomington it's kinda useless. People can just look outside to see the weather or find it from another source. People aren't going to go to your website to see the weather, so why put it there? It's not going to make or break your site, only take up space.
mike4652
I check your site out in 3 browsers. IE, Firefox, And Ace Explorer.
For the most part it was fairly the same. The table layout was not the same in all 3. But over all it displayed about the same.
Your site has nice ballance. Personally I don't care for black background, but that is just my opinion. Over all good job. Laughing

Donutey
Yea the whole weather thing... gree with ya...
know any good free feeds? preferably one that doesnt take up a whole lot of space...

I'm workin on making it display similiarly in IE, Firefox etc... firefox (right now) didnt like the transparency in the background of the logo so I did a screenshot of the background and used it instead...

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
HoangOnly
my site made in frontpage too
can you visit and give me some recommendation

http://phongviennhi.tk
smart19
the layout design is not attractive enough
maybe the color looks bored
Red Eyes
i think the site could use better colors and more things to attract people to it..it is kinda plain and boring.. but otherwise keep up the good work
Donutey
yea...

what language exactly is the other frontpage site in?
YellowDemon
the site is nice and well orginized but you can invest more efforts in the design
Donutey
for people who don't like the design.. why? is something wrong with the nav structure? or simply the graphics, or the layout? Thanks in advance...
TheGeek
I am on IE right now at school Crying or Very sad and from what i can see it looks good. Everything is nicely spaced out and well organized. The only thing i have a complaint about is how cluttered the main page is. Though there is alot to see on your site and its well placed still.

2 thumbs up!!
Donutey
yea it is getting cluttered... workin on that

thanks for the feedback Mr. Green

EDIT: Well I've finally reorganized the main page... Tell me what you think, thanks..
Einargan
you better use an other text.. switch much more of text
smart19
too many links in the homepage...
Donutey
Einargan wrote:
you better use an other text.. switch much more of text

I'm sorry, but I don't understand that at all. Rolling Eyes Do you mean to say that the page takes too long to load, and that I need to use fewer images? Are you a user of a 56k modem?
Garg
I think he meant that the fonts used seem all the same ! I would try to differentiate titles and links by changing fonts/size/colors.

Personnaly, i thing the paragraph of links is not useful. It is hard to find what you are looking for. But that's my 2 cents
hcjgh
there is too much stuff on the First page!!!!! i really hate this at websites!
Donutey
On the news section:
I've cleaned it up a bit, and yes, I agree there are two many links on the main page... I'm working on it... albeit slowly. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Green
big d
Sweet site man Cool
Donutey
I've implemented a new design, see top for more information.

Thanks for looking.

www.donutey.frihost.net
Dustin
I dont like how the header and the links mesh together, it just doesnt look natural, however the little red icon thing looks good Razz
Donutey
yea i agree, sometime tomorrow i'm gonna see if i can rework the navigation and header into two separate div's, cause one isn't working right now...
Donutey
I've settled on this final design, and I think the major construction is over. Although I may tweak the main logo a bit so it shows up better.

Thanks.

www.donutey.frihost.net
Donutey
<br / >

I've got a new design posted, tell me what you think...

Thanks.

-Outdated link removed-
Donutey
I've got another new Design Posted:
http://donutey.frihost.net/design.php

Quote:

As you may have noticed, Donutey has a new design. I've been working on it for a while after it became apparent that I needed to redesign the menu, and redesign the footers so that I could add new features. Instead of working with the old design (Version 2) I've come out with this one. Features are listed below:

Equal or smaller page size
Ctrl + (Increase font size) now works gracefully
Secondary links and translation are integrated into the footer
Fully fluid design at 800x600 and up
Font changed from "verdana" to "geneva"

Feedback feature
Auto-detecton of RSS
Below are known problems and future features:

Horizontal scroll-bar in IE [workaround implemented]
Forum height has issues in Firefox [workaround implemented]
Main menu will eventually highlight the section you are browsing, ie. if you are on a guide the guides tab will have the yellow drop down tab.
alkady
With all due Respect Donutey, I noticed that your Site isn't W3C Compliant, But yet you claim that the site is XHTML Valid.

If I am correct, The W3C only allows these claims with W3C Certification when it's truly valid.

Wink Just so you know!