FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Finland School Shooting Kills Eight

wumingsden
LiveNews wrote:
8 dead in Finland school shooting
An 18-year-old gunman killed eight people at a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, then more... shot himself but survived, police said. (Nov. 7)

Apparantly eight have died, 7 pupils at the school and the head mistress. Another 12 were injured say other news sources.
Also, he apparantly posted a video of himself on the popular youtube website.

What is the world coming to?

Video Link Here
achowles
The death toll continues to rise. The estimate is now at ten. Is it just me, or are school shootings becoming increasingly common? I just don't understand what would drive someone to do that.

My school wasn't the most pleasant place to be but I can't even imagine what would drive someone to arbitrarily murder.

Personally, I hope he survives and lives the rest of his life as a vegetable. That would be more just than if he died.

Also, what the hell is with the licensing laws there? Aren't there any background checks or anything? Given how public his lunacy was, I think that it does require investigation. I'm surprised also that the authorities weren't warned given the public announcement of his intentions and illustration of his ability to carry it out.
Genesiz
wumingsden wrote:
LiveNews wrote:

8 dead in Finland school shooting
An 18-year-old gunman killed eight people at a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, then more... shot himself but survived, police said. (Nov. 7)

Sometimes irony can be a cruel thing.

This guy was obviously suicidal, and the fact he killed eight (plus) people before trying to kill himself is just awful. And then he didn't die. Such people deserve to go to jail. For a long long time.
tony
yes; i read about this. very, very scary. as per reaciton to above comment i do believe this warrrants full life in prison. what do the other frihosters think? i myself am disinclined to support the death penalty though.
LimpFish
this is very sad. and it is also chockin because it is happening in a nordic country, and not in the US as it usually does. Ive never heard of anything like this ever happening over here.
Loghete
It's terrible...

Always when there was a school shooting somewhere I thought "that wouldn't happen here in Finland", but... I was wrong.

Anyway, the gunman died later, he was too wounded.
Genesiz
Loghete wrote:
Anyway, the gunman died later, he was too wounded.

Cant say i'm that upset, to be honest.
moworks2
i was in school in the 60's and 70's and don't remember any shootings...plenty of fist fights, some shoving and pushing but no guns...

wonder what is stirring this violence in our children...are they more in tune, carefully watching the adult behavior in iraq, pakistan, israel, darfur, etc. and feeling they can do some violence too?...

this frightening world we live in...i wonder what will bring us to look at ourselves more closely?...

kind regards...

M
bogger
Am I wrong in saying, that the reason that these killings are growing, is because of the relatiive fame that the killers get?

Of course, that's not to say that he wasn't insane, or justified. But I think that people in this day and age feel marginalised and insignificant because of the larger society.

Could it be that they want their 15 minutes of fame, to go out of this terrible world with a bang, and merely use other people's lives as a means towards this aim
wumingsden
bogger wrote:
Am I wrong in saying, that the reason that these killings are growing, is because of the relatiive fame that the killers get?

Of course, that's not to say that he wasn't insane, or justified. But I think that people in this day and age feel marginalised and insignificant because of the larger society.

Could it be that they want their 15 minutes of fame, to go out of this terrible world with a bang, and merely use other people's lives as a means towards this aim

I think this is more of an explanation than the post above yours which in my opinion is pretty ridiculous, I mean, after all, everybody needs attention, but some people go to terrible, yet great, amounts to get it. This is just an example, that being serial killers. They want the world to see it as they do, they want to be listened to, to be more acknowledged. Notice how the people that do these acts are described, espcially by the media, as "loners" or "outsiders". Its not their fault that they are different to their peers, I myself am, but that is no excuse to kill another human being, nevermind going on a rampage in your school and killing random people.
moworks2
wumingsden wrote:
bogger wrote:

I think this is more of an explanation than the post above yours which in my opinion is pretty ridiculous, I mean, after all, everybody needs attention, but some people go to terrible, yet great, amounts to get it. This is just an example, that being serial killers. They want the world to see it as they do, they want to be listened to, to be more acknowledged. Notice how the people that do these acts are described, espcially by the media, as "loners" or "outsiders". Its not their fault that they are different to their peers, I myself am, but that is no excuse to kill another human being, nevermind going on a rampage in your school and killing random people.

I guess you're talking about my post being ridiculous...i don't think so...while i agree with you both about the alienation, desire for fame, and the fact that he had psychological problems being relevant, one cannot remove him from his environment...

we are all influenced by our parents, friends, religious leaders, politicians, tv, books, etc...why one person chooses suicide and one chooses to kill others as this boy did is far more complex than just pointing to some superficial traits like he was a loner, or he was made fun of, or he was prone to violence...

i'd ask why for every one of these...

quoting trite slogans like andy warhol's fifteen minutes of fame doesn't explain anything...

and i still think the violence we see perpretrated by our public leaders is a factor...we are all influenced by our environment, no?...the ability to buy weapons easily...how violence is seen as justifiable by politicians when it serves their interests...i think this is a factor...

why one person turns to alcohol or drugs when having a hard time in this life of ours and one turns to killing others with guns is not something one can make go away by pointing to vague notions about needing to be noticed or wanting fame...

the video he made of himself shows how he was mimicking others...following...it's nothing new sad to say...

here's a quote from AP about some of this young man's problems 'with society'...he wasn't living in a vaccum...despite how wrong his behavior was this is how he saw the situation...

"Police said Auvinen left a suicide note "saying goodbye to his family and a message ... indicating his will against society." They said he appeared bent on causing maximum bloodshed as he opened fire.

Police also seized books and other printed material that suggested Auvinen was angry at society and was planning an attack.
"His opinions were extreme and he had radical thoughts," police spokesman Jan-Olof Nyholm said, adding there was no indication Auvinen was affiliated with any political movement.
Investigators believe Auvinen revealed plans for the attack in postings on YouTube in which he urged revolution and grinned after taking target practice with a handgun.
One posting called for a popular uprising against "the enslaving, corrupted and totalitarian regimes."
"I am prepared to fight and die for my cause. I, as a natural selector, will eliminate all who I see unfit, disgraces of human race and failures of natural selection," the posting said.

this guy was obviously very disturbed but you can't deny the gross inequality going on in every country on earth today, (a matter of degree but true everywhere), the wholesale murder that some leaders call 'just'...hunger, sickness, you know the rest...the world today is not a pretty sight...big business and power hungry politicians calling the shots...it's a cold sad world when you look without the veil of rituals and false hopes spouted daily by religious leaders and politicians...

kind regards...

M