FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Android: new Mobile OS linux based by Google

dsaonline
Google prepares the launch of cell phones software pack, that includes an operating system, an interface, phone applications also this will be open source for the independent programmers. It is possible thaks to the aliance of 33 corporations: Motorola, Samsung, Nextel, China Mobile, etc..

The pack is called Android.

Quote:
Android™ will deliver a complete set of software for mobile devices: an operating system, middleware and key mobile applications. On November 12, we will release an early look at the Android Software Development Kit (SDK) to allow developers to build rich mobile applications.

Open
Android was built from the ground-up to enable developers to create compelling mobile applications that take full advantage of all a handset has to offer. It is built to be truly open. For example, an application could call upon any of the phone's core functionality such as making calls, sending text messages, or using the camera, allowing developers to create richer and more cohesive experiences for users. Android is built on the open Linux Kernel. Furthermore, it utilizes a custom virtual machine that has been designed to optimize memory and hardware resources in a mobile environment. Android will be open source; it can be liberally extended to incorporate new cutting edge technologies as they emerge. The platform will continue to evolve as the developer community works together to build innovative mobile applications.

fuente:
http://www.24horaslibre.com/tecnologia/1194310502.php
http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/android_overview.html
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2005/tc20050817_0949_tc024.htm
tony
yes! i think it does sound quite cool. although, as for myself i would prefer them to use gnu gpl over apache2 for the licensing so that all client-side third party software would have to be OS too. that way sharing libraries, functions, etc would be easier. but oh well; at least they are using a unix-family OS.
dsaonline
yes, i think that by the fact of use a Open Source OS is an important thins in this topic, now we only have to wait for the SDK. And there is other important thing, ¿ this pack will be available for all mobile phones marks? I m not so inmerse in this world, but this could be a good time to try it