FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop can't boot WinXP [solved]

RiCtee
I've been trying to figure what's wrong with my laptop but have come to no solution. Anyway my laptop is a Compaq Presario v2000, about 3 years old. It was working perfectly well before until i recently turned it on and it shows an error:
Quote:
A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart

This appeared just after the POST screen and before the Windows logo screen was supposed to show. So I thought it's just another common error and tried to boot the Windows XP CD but that failed as well. It shows "Press any key to boot from CD..." and after that "Setup is inspecting hardware (blah blah)" for a second or two then stopped at a blank screen. I was able to boot Ubuntu, Knoppix, and Slax though without any problems.

Anyway my conclusion so far is that the hard disk is out-of-the-blues stuffed but I have no idea why I can't boot the Windows CD.

Any help appreciated. Very Happy
badai
maybe problem with hardisk or it's controller
Sunny
You can try following steps :

1)Normally I'd first check the pc for loose IDE cable connections or even the power cable , but u have a laptop and im not sure how comfortable you are in it, so consider this as last option.

2) Reset the bios to default state (Enter bios when pc is starting by pressing del./ or f2) and there somewhere u will see the option - restore default settings

3)Boot the system with windows xp cd and go to recovery mode and give following command -

FIXBOOT
CHKDSK /R /P

If nothing works, you will might have to try repiaring windows (its sort of reinstalls windows but u dont loose any file or softwares installed.
RiCtee
Sunny wrote:
3)Boot the system with windows xp cd and go to recovery mode and give following command -

FIXBOOT
CHKDSK /R /P

Well that's the problem. I can't boot the Windows XP CD. If I could I would probably reformat the whole drive in frustration straight away since there's no important files stored there. I've also tried all your recommendations but it doesn't help. I'm just wondering whether something is wrong with Windows, or the hardware.
ZeroXD
Those Linux distros you listed earlier all have liveCDs available, so did you actually install any of them? If not, I think you should try to. It seems to me that your laptop harddrive is probably on it's way out.

The easiest way to declare if your laptop hdd is get one of those ide to usb converters and make sure theres a 2.5in ide drive adapter on it. Then plug it into another pc and see if it works.
Thundercloud
Sounds like it may be your hard drive

look inside your computer to make sure that your wires are all connected to the hard drive.
blueray
OK, before turn the machine on. Do you remember what you have done on the system.

Do you change some settings or other things else ?
Or installed some new apps ?
Sunny
RiCtee wrote:
Well that's the problem. I can't boot the Windows XP CD.

Why ? Where exactly you get stuck...this can probably give a clue of whats wrong with your pc. So tell us if you get any error messages or it just hangs up and at what point?
RiCtee
ZeroXD wrote:
Those Linux distros you listed earlier all have liveCDs available, so did you actually install any of them? If not, I think you should try to.

Yeah I was booting from CD. But I can't access the hard drive from Linux as well. I can see it but it gives some error when I try to mount it.
blueray wrote:
OK, before turn the machine on. Do you remember what you have done on the system.

I remembered installing IE 7 and Live Messenger. But it couldn't be caused by that could it?
Sunny wrote:
Why ? Where exactly you get stuck...this can probably give a clue of whats wrong with your pc. So tell us if you get any error messages or it just hangs up and at what point?

It hangs after the "setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" screen and just blanks out.

BTW are laptop hard drives IDE or ATA or something else? I'm not familiar with laptops. Laughing
Sunny
Sounds like a hard drive problem. You can try to boot the pc with windows 98 bootable disk (can get it from www.bootdisk.com) and it will boot on dos mode then try to scan the hard drive for bad sectors by giving command scan c: .

If it doesnt find any problems then you can try to redo the partition by using fdisk command and format it, you will lose all your data in the pc. Then try to reinstall windows and see if it works.
RiCtee
I have solved the problem. Very Happy All I did was boot into Ultimate Boot CD and used one of the tools to wipe the whole hard disk. After that I was able to boot the Windows XP CD and installed it. Didn't realise it was that easy but it took quite a while. Anyway THANKS to everyone who helped.

EDIT: I believe the problem was caused by a corrupt MBR.
javdilaver
Sounds definitively like a hard disk problem. Try a boot CD. If for any reason it doesnt work I hope you have had at hand the last backup performed on your laptop. Have you dropped ur laptop recently ? It should be a cause of that....
internetjobs
try to boot with another third party software like ntfs pro or hiren' boot cd, then run setup.
then try to format or reinstall your pc
adeydas
Looks like a hard disk problem to me. May be you want to get it checked by an authorised centre.
ronald.helpdesk
it sounds like your hard drive is dead or unplugged, sometimes when a hard drive has physical problems starts to make sounds in the spinning process... that comes handy when you're trying to asset your hard drive problems

anyway if you have the chance to extract your laptop's hard drive, you might want you check it by yourself in another pc, and that's perfectly possible using a usb to hard drive accesory.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=906&sku=17705

that's one of many you can get on the internet

procedures like that can help you determine wether your hard drive is out for good or just a little bit ill.

I hope this can help you, best of lucks.