FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How can I restore my XP boot loader ?

vineeth
I was using Windows XP SP2 Pro but when I got Vista CD, I installed it. But Vista is too slow for me and I hate to choose between XP and Vista in the beginning. My current boot loader is changed to Windows Boot Loader which is installed by Vista.

I tried the bootcfg /rebuild command from XP recovery console but no use...

How can I remove Vista and get back to my previous setup?

XP is on C: and Vista is on E:
brokenadvice
You could try modifying your boot.ini file to load XP after 1s, and just leave Vista alone. That way it will be there if you ever need it to play a game or something.
BlueVD
Actually, there are a few commands from the XP CD. FixMBR and 2 more other. Just type help at the prompt. You'll find them easily.
ThePolemistis
BlueVD wrote:
Actually, there are a few commands from the XP CD. FixMBR and 2 more other. Just type help at the prompt. You'll find them easily.

yup as BuleVD says, try fixmbr in teh recovery console,,,

Also try fixboot in ther too.
vineeth
boot.ini will not work. I have made a copy of this file before installing Vista but even when I restored to C:, it won't work.

Let me try the fixmbr option...
abcmario
vineeth wrote:
I was using Windows XP SP2 Pro but when I got Vista CD, I installed it. But Vista is too slow for me ...

You should try to use Windows Vista Ultimate Ba-k Lite v2.0, because is so faster as Windows XP is. and not so annoying like Windows Vista Original.

About the boot loader, I would suggest you try to use some boot loader program, not the windows boot loader.

good luck.
vineeth
fixboot solved the issue.
spykE
Yeah I had the same issue here, thank you guys Wink.
Relentless
well if you have two operating systems on two diffrent HDD's or diffrent partions.

You should be able to choose which OS you want before WINDOWS loads. By hitting the F8 Key just after power on and should gice you a list of options. As long as your boot.ini file is intact the options should be directed by your boot.ini file and NTloader.exe on each Partion.

Hope I helped

Dan
[FuN]goku
When i took linux off my comp that had dual-boot, i popped in my XP disc , and went into the recovery console and typed... uh.. what was it. something like.. fixmbr or fixboot, and it worked fine after that.