FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

windows on mac

Boffel
Hello, I need a way to run windows on mac computers without install programs.

(I'm on school...)

I have tried to use Cross Over, but it didn't work on the programs I need. (Anim8or and gamemaker)

I also tried to install boot camp, but then I need the administrator's permission. My teacher don't want us to install programs on the "share" file, so he un-allowed us to install files.

Is it another way to get windows on mac without install a program? Just like crossover, but I need a working one.

Perhaps its possible to install boot camp on an extern hard drive or something, I don't know...

Please help. Rolling Eyes
brokenadvice
I am pretty sure that you cannot put Boot Camp on an external drive. However, you may be able to use Wine. It is a program that will run windows programs in UNIX, which OS X is based on. I don't know if it needs a true "install" but its worth a try http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwine
MarzEz
there's this useful little program called Q that i have. it runs on both intel-based macs and power pc's. you just set up q, install your OS and boot it up! plus, it runs windows at the same time as mac!
it works the fastest on intel processors, but works fine on a power pc.
Ankhanu
Chances are, if you don't have an admin password, you won't be installing anything to run Windows on the Mac.

However, if you can, install Parallels and install Windows there. If you have <1Gb RAM, however, I wouldn't suggest it, as it will consume a lot of system resources.
MarzEz
here's a link to the program Q that i talked about. you should be able to run it off an external drive, but no guarantees.
Arrow pros: it runs windows, dos, linux and several other OSes at reasonably fast speeds on a power pc, and at almost realtime on an ontel-based mac. it _should_ run off an external drive, and you can emulate more than just one Q-os at once, (see homepage at link provided,) and it doesn't need a fast computer: i'm currently running '98 on a 400mhz power pc. at a decent speed. you can also choose how much ram to give q and leave for mac. it is also entirely free to download, and is very small. has an excellent, user-friendly help file

Arrow cons: needs mac os X, (any version will do) and sometmes crashes when you create a new disk mage for windows. (in drop-down menu) just reboot Q, and choose the disk image you created, it'll be there. reset the preferences.

as you can see, lots of cons, and only one or two minor cons. of course, you will need the windows installation disk to install windows, but the help file to get you started is very user friendly. i recommend you read it first. it has a step-by-step of setting up an emulation, with pictures. it's an excellent little program. simply marvellous.
five star! Dancing
goldfinger
parallels desktop is the best solution if you want to use both operating system at the same time. If you want to play windows games on your mac the best solution ist the bootcamp which is included in Mac-OSX 10.6. On bootcamp you can use the full power of your mac. On booth systems an intel mac is requiremt.
goldfinger
the imac is the best home pc Smile
MarzEz
i still reccomend Q.
it doesn't need an intel processor, althougt that's strongly recommended, and the actual program is free, and only a few bytes of download off the net. Very Happy
you can set specs like the max. amount of ram it can use, and the size of the disk image it uses.
you will need a windows cd to install windows.

p.s, goldfinger: use the edit button.
digitip
Some weeks ago I bought an computer with Mac an Windows in one!
ammonkc
I've used Parallels, Crossover, Bootcamp, and VMware Fusion on my macbook pro. I've decided to stick with VMware Fusion as my permanent solution. Its really stable and performance is solid. But I don't think any solution would work with out it being blessed by the administrator. all of these require some kind of installation for it to work.
infobankr
Q is great - its the mac version of QEMU and isn't fast but definitely works. On linux and freebsd you can run qemu with the kqemu kernel module and virtualize processes which greatly increases performance.
Studio Madcrow
QEMU is the most likely to work under a restricted user account, but performance without a vitualization driver like kqemu is likely to be rather poor. Also, 3D apps are unlikely to work under ANY solution except Bootcamp...
Flips001
it only works with Bootcamp!

I tried it to run my apple keyboard on Windows! And it works with your Os too!
Naveen
use virtual PC and install windows
Kashinilaya
MarzEz wrote:
here's a link to the program Q that i talked about. you should be able to run it off an external drive, but no guarantees.
Arrow pros: it runs windows, dos, linux and several other OSes at reasonably fast speeds on a power pc, and at almost realtime on an ontel-based mac. it _should_ run off an external drive, and you can emulate more than just one Q-os at once, (see homepage at link provided,) and it doesn't need a fast computer: i'm currently running '98 on a 400mhz power pc. at a decent speed. you can also choose how much ram to give q and leave for mac. it is also entirely free to download, and is very small. has an excellent, user-friendly help file

Arrow cons: needs mac os X, (any version will do) and sometmes crashes when you create a new disk mage for windows. (in drop-down menu) just reboot Q, and choose the disk image you created, it'll be there. reset the preferences.

as you can see, lots of cons, and only one or two minor cons. of course, you will need the windows installation disk to install windows, but the help file to get you started is very user friendly. i recommend you read it first. it has a step-by-step of setting up an emulation, with pictures. it's an excellent little program. simply marvellous.
five star! Dancing

I know a long time has passed since you posted the link, but it's not working now. I managed to reach the home page though. I'm interested in knowing more about Q. I read the wiki, but didn't find a thorough explanation. could you please clarify some points?

. does it work like Parallels, that is, may I switch back and forth from Mac OS to Windows without needing to reboot? or
. does it work like BootCamp, that is, need to reboot to switch operating systems? or
. does it work like CrossOver, that is, will Windows and Windows applications work in a Mac OS window?

I understood that qemu works either as Parallels or as CrossOver, but it's not clear if Q also works in both modes. If you could clear this up, I would greatly appreciate it.
csoftdev
go mac go as windows is always the crap of OS world. problematic.
csoftdev
there are some virtualisation tools available for mac too, i believe virtual pc from microsoft and xen should work for tha tpurpose.