FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux and Wine

KHO
Whenever I use Wine to launch a windows application, it seems a pain to actually launch it. Files saved are hidden deep in the hard drive and I can never find them. I come from windows, and the only application that I really really need to ship over is Dreamweaver (NVU doesn't cut it). Wine runs it fine, for like 10 seconds, then it kinda craps out and stalls alot. Are there any recommendations to help make Wine easier to use for me?
photon
Wine has been pretty good for me for a long time. But yea, it does need quite a lot of memory. IF you have a decent system with say 1gb ram, i dont think it will have a problem running any software. I personally have not tried out dreamweaver on wine, so cant comment on that. Check out the page on winehq. you may get your answers there

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3482
mehulved
Just a little bit of correction to the previous post. See http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=183
The different versions of applications will have different kinds of support under wine. Seems MX and CS3 is supported fine but MX 2004 support is in their words 'Garbage'.
photon
Yea it differs for versions. Check the version you are using.
djclue917
Use winecfg (GUI) to easily fine tune WINE's settings. All of WINE's stuff are in ~/.wine/, that is, /home/<username>/.wine/
Studio Madcrow
Wine is pretty good for simple stuff... It can just about run 100% of Windows 3.1 programs even. Once you get into the 32-bit world, things get tougher though. If I really need to run Windows programs in Linux, I suspect I'll just do so from a copy of Windows running in VMware player or something. MUCH better compatability.
qscomputing
Yes, it's said that Wine does a much better job of running Win3.1 programs than Vista and in some cases better than XP!

But before trying to run something in Wine, check to see whether there is a Linux program that does the same job. In many cases there will be a similar program that is just as good if not better than the Windows equivalent - so use that instead.
KHO
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Wine is pretty good for simple stuff... It can just about run 100% of Windows 3.1 programs even. Once you get into the 32-bit world, things get tougher though. If I really need to run Windows programs in Linux, I suspect I'll just do so from a copy of Windows running in VMware player or something. MUCH better compatability.
now thats something ive looked into. I still have my legit windows xp disk, but im worried that my laptop cant take running 2 OS's at the same time like that. From what I've seen, things like that just install the guest OS somewhere on the machine and run it like it were actually booting into it, but with linux pulling the strings. It seems like this would put a TON of strain on my machine, and im not sure if it could handle it, not to mention the emulation program would probably use a chunk of memory.
azuwis
why not linux + xen + windows + real application?
djclue917
KHO wrote:
Whenever I use Wine to launch a windows application, it seems a pain to actually launch it. Files saved are hidden deep in the hard drive and I can never find them. I come from windows, and the only application that I really really need to ship over is Dreamweaver (NVU doesn't cut it). Wine runs it fine, for like 10 seconds, then it kinda craps out and stalls alot. Are there any recommendations to help make Wine easier to use for me?

Actually, the files are not "hidden deep within the hard drive" unlike in some operating system that I know of (hint, hint: Windows). The files are conveniently located (by default) in ~/.wine/drive_c/. Of course, there's very simple and easy-to-use utility called winecfg which can help you configure the what/where/how of WINE really easily.