FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do i change a linux partition to XP?

Blix
Hi, i did run in to a problem with Ubuntu Linux. I installed it on a 2nd HD but the bootloader failed to install propperly...

Now i have enough of trying linux for now and would like to use the HD as a spare XP one. But i cant format it nor recover it. Its a 160 GB HD and it shows me only 32MB available for Windows.

any help is well appreciated

thanks
inventor
Google and download gParted live cd. Boot the cd and format the drive to fat32 or ntfs.
let me know if you have any problems with this. Smile
Blix
thanks for your response... ill try it now and let you know the result
ThePolemistis
Blix wrote:
Hi, i did run in to a problem with Ubuntu Linux. I installed it on a 2nd HD but the bootloader failed to install propperly...

Now i have enough of trying linux for now and would like to use the HD as a spare XP one. But i cant format it nor recover it. Its a 160 GB HD and it shows me only 32MB available for Windows.

any help is well appreciated

thanks

You wont be able to see the linux partition in My Computer

However, if you goto Disk Management (from Computer Management in Administration Tools in Control Panel), you will be able to see all the partitions for your harddrive.
Simply format the linux partition back to NTFS, by simply right clicking the linux partition block and selecting format.

There is no need to download any extra software to do this
Kadear

1) Right click My Computer,
Left click Manage

2) Left click Disk Management in Computer Management window, you will see your all partitions:

3) Right click the partition, logical drive, or volume you want to delete, and then click Delete Partition.
When you delete a partition, all data on that deleted partition or logical drive is lost.
You cannot recover deleted partitions or logical drives.

4) To create a new partition follow the insructions on this page under How to create a new partition or a new logical drive title:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/en-us
adeydas
Get something like PartitionMagic and delete the ext or ext3 partitions present. Then format the free disc space with NTFS or FAT. Re-boot Windows and it should recognise the drives.
swizzy
after formatting boot from the XP disc and go to system repair then run the following two commands

Code:
fixmbr

fixboot

If u want u can also bootcfg /rebuild (but u need not do this, if u already boot.ini on the xp partition)
adeydas
If you an old Windows 98 or ME CD you can use that also. Run the disc at startup and type:

fdisk /mbr

That will fix the master boot record.