FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Happy 5th of November!

coolclay
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

Happy Guy Fawkes day!!!

For more info
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chqi8m4CEEY
AftershockVibe
Heh, I love that rhyme. Such blatant folk-y disregard for correct grammar!

Out of interest, how come you're celebrating even though you live in the US?
xkobram
How do you celebrate Guy Fawkes day?

I know few historical information about that, but don't know how to celebrate...
Aless
You get drunk and set off fireworks both a week before and a week after the actual day.

Oh wait, maybe that's just my neighbors...Razz
wellerchap
yep, happy bonfire night everyone.......do all the non-UK people out there know what's going on?
It's an old British custom...
coolclay
I celebrate it because it was the day when a group of people stood up and attempted to change a government that was in the wrong. Watch V For Vendatta for more info on why I celebrate it.
Soulfire
They're celebrating the plot that almost destroyed their government?

Was it a tyrannical gov't at the time?

Confused ...
coolclay
The UK celebrates it because the plans were thwarted before it happened. I celebrate it because it was a major demonstration of force by peoples that were considered subhuman by the then ruling party, even though it got thwarted.
truespeed
It was a catholic plot,its plans were to kill the government and the king, (who were all in parliament at the time) and change the country from a protostent one,back to a catholic one (which it had been before henry the 8th) It was nothing to do with the people rising up against an unjust government.

If i remember my history right,the plot went wrong when one of the conspirators told one of the mp's who was a catholic, to make sure he wasnt in parliament that day, unfortunately the mp tipped off those who needed to be tipped off and the plot was thwarted ,all the conspirators were caught and executed.

On november the 5th, people in the UK build bonfires and burn an effigy of Guy Fawkes on it,most people dont realise the history behind the day,for most its just a day for going to a bonfire,watching fireworks and eating toffee apples.
Davidgr1200
It's probably not a coincidence that this is celebrated at the beginning of November, just when people with gardens like to have a bonfire to burn off all their garden rubbish.
truespeed
Davidgr1200 wrote:
It's probably not a coincidence that this is celebrated at the beginning of November, just when people with gardens like to have a bonfire to burn off all their garden rubbish.

Or maybe it had something to do with the state opening of parliament .
MYP415
I know it from v for vendetta... good movie btw
Jaan
Happy Ron Paul day.

He's certainly capitalizing on this!
eku53ru
Oh, man...I completely forgot about the Fifth of November...and V for Vendetta was a favorite movie of mine. x_x

To truespeed--yowch; it sounds kind of as bad as Independence Day in the States (celebration-wise), or even Thanksgiving; when either holiday arrives, all my neighbors know how to do is party, party, party, and have a barbecue while partying.
yomomma1
5th of november... Wait.. Err Snap I forgot About that, Oh well I can always wait until next year, Of course if I don't forget it again next year, better right this down somewhere... Stupid me.
wellerchap
Since I was a kid back in the 70's I've always remembered kids taking fireworks out in the streets & "messing around" with them (though not like the American kids on Youtube who lit a rocket in one of their friends a$$es and it got stuck...I'm sure you've seen the clip!) Very Happy
On the 4th of November we have "mischief night" where kids go round generally causing a nuisance of themselves, then the fires are lit on the 5th & official firework displays carried out.
In reality these days it's seen as an excuse just for gangs of youths to roam around and throw fireworks, explode them in phone boxes & not only on the 5th, but weeks before and after Evil or Very Mad
xkobram
wellerchap wrote:

In reality these days it's seen as an excuse just for gangs of youths to roam around and throw fireworks, explode them in phone boxes & not only on the 5th, but weeks before and after Evil or Very Mad

People do that only on NewYear's Eve in my country. It's illegal to sell fireworks to "kids." But it's mostly sold by Vietnamese shops or supermarkets where noone cares about it...
divinitywolf
bit late. its now 22nd November but what the heck.
Happy fireworks day Very Happy
jegeskave
Oh yeag Very Happy
Patriot Players
I heartily enjoy watching V for Vendetta, and the ensuing GUy Fawkes goodness that ensues. It just makes me giggle.

"A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having." Love it.