FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Why do people hate Microsoft..?





tempdbs
As I have heard, there are so many people who doesn't like the products of Microsoft.

Any body have a valid reason ? Wannah to hear all the flames on Microsoft...!

Of course, you can post counter (Negative) and Postive comments..!

Vista, Hotmail, Live, etc.., All the Micosoft products..
scotty
Its all relative. Microsoft is better than everyone else but its still crap. Why can't my computer turn on instantly? All computers frustrate people and Microsoft is on practically every computer in the world, lowest common denominator.
achowles
It's not so much their products as the way they treat their customers.

OEM copies of their software (copies that are supplied with computers are most often OEM) are treated as little better than stolen copies by M$ and are hardly supported at all. They even removed an automatic online activation feature from OEM copies despite the fact that it was far easier to maintain that than to provide a telephone equivalent (that doesn't even work). OEM copies also aren't granted any technical support unless they pay through the nose for it. That goes for email support too.

They're severing support of XP in the near future just to railroad people into buying Vista. Not providing DX10 for XP and making its own games DX10 only is more than a bit suspect. Even the then ancient console port over of Halo 2 which had to be about the last game that would need DX10 doesn't support DX9 and subsequently won't work on XP.

People might be more inclined to switch to Vista if it wasn't a joke. It has poor compatibility with earlier software and includes and mandatory copy of Norton which is widely disliked.

So that means that the future holds two inadequate versions of Windows. Neither will provide adequate compatibility with software meaning that having a PC with both OS installed is probably going to be a requirement until M$ finally fix Vista. If they ever do.
Srs2388
well... i don't 'hate' microsoft at all, but i bought a laptop with vista because i needed a laptop and the specs were pretty great.
soo.. I get this thing home and vista has quiet a few problems because they released the OS much too early. I used to have a mac and i was used to the way it started up... much faster... no antivirus needed. no firewall needed. great interface.
don't get me wrong vista looks nice... but i have used mac os more and tend to like it more for stability reasons... i get on my PC that i have now with vista to pay a bill... well internet explorer is frozen and firefox wont start... NOT EVEN A WEEK AFTER BUYING IT. I had to start screwing with stuff and it's working for now.
AidanSonoda
There are plenty of reasons to hate Microsoft. I've got a few. For one I think there is something to be said for judging companies based on whether or not they are good for the industry they work in. For instance Sun Microsystems invests tremendous amount of money in R&D, moving the industry forward with Java (now lamely copied by M$ with .net), the ZFS file system, project looking glass, and the support of numerous open-source initiatives. The same can be said for Apple. Google too has greatly elevated the state of computing. From something as simple as opting to write a superior in-house anti-spam engine for gmail instead of opting for a cheaper (and likely less effective) plug-in option; to the excellent Google Summer-of-Code program. M$ on the other hand relies on market inertia to get away with poor customer service and lax development. In fact, M$ actively avoids development. Internet Explorer 6 languished for FOUR years without a major update. And when outside competition finally started putting pressure on them they engaged in underhanded practices to undermine that competition (for instance http://www.news.com/2100-1023-983500.html) all before finally rolling out IE7, which offers little beyond copying the features offered by the competition. This to say nothing about the anti-trust violations. You can't get do much worse "for the industry" than that.

But if those of use with grievances want to be taken seriously, we need to be sure we understand what we're complaining about and have valid points. For instance, support for XP is scheduled to continue through 2014: that includes constant security patches, published specifications, and paid support. Warranty claims will be honored through 2009, a full two years after XP ceases to be a current product. That is a longer support cycle for a deprecated product than you'll find for Solaris, Unix or MacOS. In fact it is in-line with what you find for Novell infrastructure products (GroupWise, Evolution). Considering the expense involved in supporting an operating system as opposed to a single program (ie, what Novell is doing); that is certainly not unreasonable. And definitely not what I'd consider "In the near future." -- how old and outdated will your computer be in 2014?
AidanSonoda
scotty wrote:
Its all relative. Microsoft is better than everyone else but its still crap. Why can't my computer turn on instantly? All computers frustrate people and Microsoft is on practically every computer in the world, lowest common denominator.


Que? Your computer already turns on intantly. Of-course, it is physically impossible for a computer to turn on instantly and be able to DO anything. If you have any interest in the security of your data you'll want to go through a system memory check. Which requires numerous electrical signals, the speed of which is limited by the laws of physics. Following which you'll have to load data off of some sort of media, which is limited (in today's devices) by the speed at which a small electric motor can spin a magnetic platter inside your harddrive. WindowsXP starts up MUCH faster than almost any variety of Linux and very much on par with most modern operating systems.

achowles wrote:
Not providing DX10 for XP and making its own games DX10 only is more than a bit suspect. Even the then ancient console port over of Halo 2 which had to be about the last game that would need DX10 doesn't support DX9 and subsequently won't work on XP.

People might be more inclined to switch to Vista if it wasn't a joke. It has poor compatibility with earlier software and includes and mandatory copy of Norton which is widely disliked.


As regards Directx10, I think you are underestimating the complexity of back-porting a system so deeply intertwined with drivers/hardware. Vista's driver system is a near complete rewrite from XP, that removes driver functionality from the Kernel and into modular space. I doubt that not bringing Directx10 to XP is merely a gimmick to encourage Vista sales* but a business decision related to the cost of developing a port to an outdated system. I remember two years ago when we were all complaining about XP's lack of capability. XP can run on a 600 MHz PentiumIII (technically 233MHz will do it), they made sure of that because when XP was released that was only a few years back in the tech stream and everyone was worked up about "compatibility with earlier siftware." But three years on development was being held back by XPs inherent limitations and everyone was whining about Microsoft being behind the curve. So with Vista they set the bar quite a bit higher. And development at the start is playing catch-up. Some of us have to reach a little to run Vista at the same speed as XP, graphics drivers aren't as stable or fast as XP, and DX10 games aren't living up to the DX10 hype. But three years on, when development and Moore's law have made XP a lump of crust worth running only on true dinosaurs; Vista has a much better shot of still being relevant (at-least not the weak link in the development chain).

*A very good case could be made that bringing DX10 to XP would be good for Vista sales as it would allow game developers to roll out DX10 only titles without fear of a limited market. Building a base of major titles and encouraging a move towards the greater capabilities of Vista in other areas (superior audio stack, superior graphics driver integration, better support for dedicated physics processors, etc.).
Blaster
Why do i not like microsoft? Well i have a couple of good reasons. Or I at least feel that they are good.

You see first when you go to a store like say www.bestbuy.com or www.circutcity.com they sell the computers with windows. Now considering Vista is a 200 and some old dollar OS it puts the prices up. Well when you go to buy a computer from one of those places Microsoft has a contract with them to sell it with Vista or XP what ever is on the market. Well you can look at getting some really good computers for 500 bucks. Now if you where to factor out vista then that would take the price down the 300 dollars. So if i'm buying a computer that I intend to just put a Linux distro on then i'm paying for something I will use maybe once.

Another reason I dislike windows is a lot of people use it. Well when a lot of people use it a lot of people make viruses for it. Well considering it was attacked by a 13 year old virus. why would I trust that. I don't want my computer to get slower as time goes on. I want it to go either faster or just as fast as it did when I first got it.

Another thing is it takes for ever to get a new update out. An important security flaw may take months to fix. Where as in an OS like a distro of linux they can get the problem fixed in a matter of days.

Now I don't have a problem with all products by Windows. Like i used to use msn messenger. However when I got ubuntu I started using GAIM. I like freeware things so this is another reason why i like linux distros better.

I could keep going on but my brain is fried after school.
loryl
99% of humans are lemmings -- they'll follow what others say without thinking.

I don't think Microsoft is bad (I hate Macs with a passion, however). There are, unfortunately, several problems associated with Microsoft. Their products aren't open source. This is bad for security; bugs and vulnerabilities take much longer to fix because bug finders are limited to the few who work in the company and not everyone in the comp sci field. They've "borrowed" ideas/concepts for programs from other companies (i.e.: Vista's interface looks a lot like Macs). They also include free software, sometimes subpar to those currently out there, with their OS so that people will use their products and drive other smaller companies out of business. But what most people don't get is that Microsoft has revolutionized the computer industry like no other. Nowadays, nearly everyone in the US has a computer at home. This wasn't always so. Computers used to be those specialized things at big companies, schools, and very rarely, at home. So thank Microsoft for bringing a computer to your house. Wink
Afaceinthematrix
I'm not a huge microsoft fan because there are simply better products. The reason why people use microsoft is because it is relatively user-friendly and somewhat cheap. Just think about every microsoft product that there is and there will be a better product out there.
tempdbs
achowles wrote:
It's not so much their products as the way they treat their customers.
People might be more inclined to switch to Vista if it wasn't a joke. It has poor compatibility with earlier software and includes and mandatory copy of Norton which is widely disliked.


@achowles -
I am using Vista ultimate from last year without any Norton or any Anti virus.
It is comparitively slow when compared with the previos versions of Microsoft OS and needs more memory to run the misc at a time..

But definitely I can say that Norton is not a mandatory product to be installed with VISTA.

Any argues..?
catscratches
Well, Microsoft dominates the market in a very brutal way, and still their products isn't as good as many free alternatives. For example Linux is faster and safer than Windows but it's hard to buy a computer without OS to install Linux. All the good computers have Windows pre-installed unless you want to build your own computer.

The services you mention, Hotmail etc., aren't great either. I've been denied access to my Hotmail account more times than I've experienced a bug-less use of it. Still, it's the most commonly used email-provider because of marketing and dominating the market. (for all that use Hotmail. I strongly recommend Gmail. It's 1000 times better.).
fiendskull9
They really grabbed the idea of commercial licensing by the nuts and squeezed

They've also destroyed HTML standards with frontpage and old versions of IE (although IE7 is a bit more decent)

They have horrible customer support, and charge ridiculous prices for mediocre software

but i must say, gates is one HELL of a business man
AidanSonoda
catscratches wrote:
Well, Microsoft dominates the market in a very brutal way, and still their products isn't as good as many free alternatives. For example Linux is faster and safer than Windows but it's hard to buy a computer without OS to install Linux. All the good computers have Windows pre-installed unless you want to build your own computer.


Linux is faster? Do you have any data to back that up?

I code for a couple of linux projects and I'd be hard pressed to make that kind of statement. In a desktop environment I've found linux distributions to be subjectively slower and I've never seen a controlled test that found linux to be any faster than the competition. I have a highly customized installation of Gentoo Linux compiled primarily with Intel's C Compiler (faster code than GCC), using lightweight apps and other performance settings (nptl only, initng, extensive prelinking, reiserfs for system partitions, and Con Kolivas kernel patches). I'd be willing to bet IT is faster than Windows, but that is hardly a general truth. Even so, I dual-boot WindowsXP Pro on the same system using many of the same programs (OpenOffice, GIMP, Pidgin, Inkscape, Thunderbird, TrueCrypt, 7-zip), and don't notice any major performance differences.

There isn't any doubt that Windows is a greater security risk than Linux at this time. Linux does have some design superiority to Windows when it comes to security (fully isolated multi-user design, native privilege structure for all parts of the file tree, etc.) but much of the perceived vulnerability comes from the fact that windows is such a large target. When open-source software has been exposed to the same level of risk as Microsoft products (ie Apache vs IIS) they have faired no better.
http://secunia.com/product/1438/?task=statistics
http://secunia.com/product/73/?task=statistics

Regrading the bundling of Windows with new PCs, I don't think this is a particularly big deal. The licenses acquired by companies for putting windows on their systems are quite a bit cheaper than a retail license is for you and me. I don't have hard-and-fast numbers in front of me, but I am quite confident that the cost of Windows on a new PC effects the price by less than $90. This is in part because windows is MUCH easier to install than desktop distributions of Linux (claims by Ubuntu zealots aside). Personally I would never use a default installation of windows, but if we are going to give credit where credit is due: Windows simply has the best automatic hardware detection and driver bundle along with the most idiot-proof path to a working installation of any modern operating system. If we all paid for pre-installed Linux on our new PC, labor costs for the installation would quickly eliminate any savings on licensing. The price of new PCs wouldn't improve and the consistency of variables from installation to installation would be much less. Resulting in higher tech-support costs for the retailer. If we're going to complain about M$, lets be certain our judgments are grounded in reality. There are valid complaints about the pre-installation dominance of Windows. Such as the aforementioned detriment to web standards caused by the ubiquitousness of Internet Explorer (caused in no small part by its present on nearly all new PCs).
Nameless
Probably the main reasons Microsoft is the source of a lot of, if not hatred, mild disgruntlement.

- Nobody likes a tyrant, and Microsoft has as close to complete control over the OS market as anyone is going to get.
- People who aren't familiar with technology get easily frustrated by it, and thus the creators of it.
- People who are familiar with technology hate the increasing tendency towards the 'idiot user interfaces' (well, I know I do).
- The Blue Screen of Death. It's only happened to me twice, but it's the kind of thing that is frustrating because technology has so much power and potential and yet it still suceeds in screwing up so completely on rare occasions (and all the minor bugs and irritancies are probably more annoying).
j_f_k
To be perfectly honest, Microsoft has cleaned up its act over recent years - perhaps this is something to do with the good ol' DOJ Idon't know. The computer intellectsia of hte web hate microsoft with such vengenance that one has to wonder whether emotion has clouded rational judgement.

That said my beefs against microsoft are more historical and they are:

1) how they've attempted to hijack HTML by introducing 'standards' in front page and javascript so that an FP website will only work in internet explorer, the result of which is that massive swathes of html code have to have 'if the browser is explorer then ... else ...' code -

2) the fact that Front Page and Microsoft Word are two of the worst examples of software in the history of computing and yet - they are (or were) market leaders - to be fair that's really not m$ fault

3) their bullying tactics with OEM. One post said a computer would be $200 cheaper if it was shipped without vista, however microsoft price the OEM licenses much cheaper than this. No problem with this - its clever marketing to compete with Linux, however vendors are REQUIRED to ship windows and are REQUIRED to pay microsoft even if they offer a bare system without windows. THIS IS BAD.

4) The way, in the time of 16-bit windows, microsoft seemed to have access to alll sorts of features to allow their office team to build way cool gui features (way cool back then, anyway) that's weren't available to the likes of Lotus and WordPerfect.

5) The way they'd change dos and windows every release to make Lotus 123 not run when they were promoting Excel.
Davidgr1200
I think the main problems with Microsoft stem from it being is a large company which has pretty much of a monopoly on operating systems for PC. If they do something wrong or antagonise their customers they know that the customers will not go somewhere else and buy a competitor's product. They know that, for example, people who want to play the latest games will but their operating system. If people want to play Crysis, for example, they will buy Vista in order to be able to use DirectX 10. People will do this even if Vista is expensive and slower than other operating systems. A few people will use Linux, but as soon as you want to play major games you will have to get a micrsoft operating system. Microsoft needs more competitors!
vineeth
You purchased a new book. You read it and gave it to your friend for him to read... Then the author comes to you and files a case against you saying "You are violating copyright !". Can you love this author?
JayBee
How to find, you are famous? You have fans and you have many people who hate you. MS is the same.

I cant say, I hate Microsoft, but I like others. I will be never satisfied so I like software I could change.
Eyre
For me, it's just the whole capitalistic aspect of Microsoft. They'll get you to buy their product, but after that, your relationship with them is virtually gone. Customer support is a thing of the past Razz.

However, I don't really have anything against the programs. I mean sure, of course they can be better, but it works. I've also been using Visual Developer 2008 and it's pretty nice for what I do Razz
bostko
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TaIUkwPybtM
May be because windows is just one big coping machine, and waiting somebody to make something which they will copy.
chemical-music
No ones hate microsoft, i think
Liu
Their business practices are questionable.
garionw
As much as I hate Microsoft, its still the best choice for me at the moment.

I've got a laptop, so I can't really choose the hardware for it. I have no problems with XP on it as it runs fine, but Ubuntu can give me a little bit extra.

a) I've run the Windows Vista Upgrade adviser on my laptop, and unfortunately I cant have the areo interface. I've also installed Ubuntu on my laptop, and Compiz-Fusion worked out of the box (after I installed it) with more features then OS X and Vista combined.

b) If I want the full version of Vista Ultimate, I have to shell out $600(au) for it. If I want the latest version of Ubuntu, just download it off the net. As it was, I had to download a copy of XP from the internet because I wasn't provided with one (Even though I had a registration key) and I had to format my PC.

But Windows isn't always that bad. Support for drivers is good, and it has a wide variety of software that I can use on it (Provided it doesn't have spyware) thats simple to install and configure where as Linux needs various tool kits and other stuff.

My opinion is a biased though because I am still new to Linux, but give it 5 or so years, and Ubuntu will become a common name.
dimg
microsoft isnt that bad of a company for software, but some of the things they do are just greedy. a good example would be the xbox 360 arcade sku i just bought, it is awesome, except if i want surround sound i need to buy a $50 addon because the standard optical wire doesnt work with HDMI plugged in.
windrei
for email and communications, i like hotmail and msn a lot. It's so convenient and easy to use. The interface is nice too. For office software, i think microsoft is also fine. But to me it's just a typing machine anyway. Not much difference with other typing softwares. But other than those, i do not like microsoft.... i just feel that microsoft is like a big brother in the computer field and no other companys can compete with him...it's not fair at all. And it charges higher and higher for the softwares with no much big differences from the previous version.
alalex
ok, msn messenger and hotmail are ok, I use them myself. I also use gmail, and many other email clients, but preferably I use hotmail.

Now about hate to microsoft, its more towards windows. I dont like it because I am forced to use it. I love Linux, and most of the times I restart my computer into Ubuntu. But I need too much software for my work that will only run on Windows, which is slower, worse... and a huge list of reasons why I don't like it.

I could perfectly use wine and emulate windows in linux and run those programs, but that just makes the hole thing longer, I need to install ntfs support... and all that crap only to use wndowss!

So yea, dont like it.
newso
I dont hate microsoft. I like what they do, i hate the people who always try to bring down microsoft. Jelous people who cant make a company as sucsessful as them.

Microsoft will always be the best company in my eyes.
liljp617
Because they own every single company on the market at pretty much everything they get into. And for the same reasons people are always on Apple's ass.
mossuto
tempdbs wrote:
As I have heard, there are so many people who doesn't like the products of Microsoft.

Any body have a valid reason ? Wannah to hear all the flames on Microsoft...!

Of course, you can post counter (Negative) and Postive comments..!

Vista, Hotmail, Live, etc.., All the Micosoft products..


Well people hate microsoft because they either, had a very bad experience with microsoft, or they have a mac or linux...

XBOX ROCKS!
theem
maybe people find Microsoft too expensive ... Idea Rolling Eyes

they should release a free version of windows to get there repo. back..
jabapyth
scotty wrote:
Its all relative. Microsoft is better than everyone else but its still crap. Why can't my computer turn on instantly? All computers frustrate people and Microsoft is on practically every computer in the world, lowest common denominator.

wow. better that everyone else? you've clearly never used a decent linux distro. Windows is the superpower, but most of what it makes is crap. and so annoying to use
tempdbs
vineeth wrote:
You purchased a new book. You read it and gave it to your friend for him to read... Then the author comes to you and files a case against you saying "You are violating copyright !". Can you love this author?


@vineeth,

Giving a book to friend for reading is okay with the Author, But waht people are doing... The friend (who got the book to read) is just making some XEROX copies and all he is doing is pirated...

So author will file against whom ? The Reader or The Friend or The Pirate Lovers...?
russel26
sometimes have a virus..
skygaia
I don't like MS and its products. But unfortunately I have to use its products everyday. I think many people hate MS because there is no compettitor. Linux, open source group, represents anti-MS or major compettitor. But the market share of MS products is almost 70% in real world. it means MS could be a invisible dictator in our world.........
Bluedoll
Microsoft is a corporation. It is a accumulation of lot of peoples work, and like all company's, they put their stamp and logo on everything they touched.

Looking back at the history of Microsoft you can see they have identified things like DOS as MSDos, as thier product. How absurd. How can you have a company own something like a disc operating computer system. Although the basic language was fundamentally theirs to develop, the idea of putting claim to something like an os as unique only to one company is just not true. It would be like saying windows is unique only to one company. Mac’s operating systems had the same gui too and so could have any other companies that would have wanted to create an operating system.

The really great thing about Microsoft though is the way they marketed their product and not really the product it’s self. It became so popular and the standard in the industry that not only was the name so well know but actually used by all the developers of any programs for it. Therefore, microsoft was able to sit back and let the users of the product develop software for it.

Microsoft has a product that is well know and used through-out the world and is constantly under development after it is released by the people that use it. The best thing I like about Microsoft products is that it works (sometimes) and are so well known. The least thing I like about Microsoft products is that it doesn’t work (sometimes) and everyone knows it.
iamarun
I personally like Microsoft. windows as it is user friendly and very easy to use and to learn. If i have to hate microsoft windows the one and only reason would be Virus. As linux is virus free and would prefer Mac with Microsoft
Vrythramax
I could go on for days with reasons why I personally hate M$...but I think the main reason is the way they force programmers to accept thier standards as opposed to industry standards. They come up with a new OS (I am going thru this problem now with Vista) and alot of programmers have to re-write thier own products because they are no longer compatable with the new version of windows.

I honestly don't care how much money they make...they could be a bit friendlier towards the rest of the programmers out there who don't have an extra billion dollars to sink into R&D.

I'll shut-up now.


Edit: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-710587.html#710587
ProtoMan
I personally like Microsoft's products (Well, I like most of them) especially Internet Explorer 7 and Window Media Player 11. But I do hate Microsoft because of the way they treat their customers, they just do anything they want. Also, I have read an article about the auto-update feature, there used to be an update which would change the setting of our PCs.

Moreover, Microsoft always loses to another company's products (Even free one) like Firefox, Linux,etc... But overall, Microsoft is pretty fine for me Razz
tempdbs
russel26 wrote:
sometimes have a virus..


What ??

Donot go foe Pirated Russel ? These will supply you VIRUS at a free of cost.
If you wannah to be free from VIRUS, spent some money...

kiqui...! Microsoft never gives VIRUS to you...! Funny nah...??
Liceneus
skygaia wrote:
I don't like MS and its products. But unfortunately I have to use its products everyday. I think many people hate MS because there is no compettitor. Linux, open source group, represents anti-MS or major compettitor. But the market share of MS products is almost 70% in real world. it means MS could be a invisible dictator in our world.........


... and CAPITALIST MS!!!
Zombie
I don't hate microsoft, I personally favor microsoft as I have grown used to it over time. Many other operating systems could grow on people, those people might speak ill of microsoft because they fear the unknown. Everybody has the right to their own opinion, and there will always be critics...
Vlien
At school we have to use Macintosh (I'm in photography) and I've found it very unpractical at times, especially in terms of general use. I mean, the Microsoft right-mouse click is CTRL + mouse click in Mac? That's ridiculous. It's either control keys OR mouse clicks in my opinion Very Happy I don't own a Mac myself yet (will probably be obliged to buy one in the near future), but I'm perfectly happy with my pc (Vista/Dell).
iyepes
After making clear, that working giving support to MS software paid my bills for several years. I have to say that many people hate MS because of it's unstability and it's price. However, many people use it, because it's easier and widely spreaded.
Kitten Kong
Simply because Microsoft has such huge market penetration, 100% of the computer wielding population is aware of them and most likely uses at least some of their software in some way. Of course a certain percentage of the population loves to complain about everything and so microsoft can't help but get into their sights. Also Microsoft is so freaking rich that resentment is inevitable.

They also release substandard quality software, but the most annoying thing for me is the user interfaces which are geared towards the lowest common denominator, but who can help that. What they should do is release different frontends on windows so computer noobs can use Windows for Dummies and more advanced users can get their hands on user interfaces geared more towards them. Seriously when i got Vista it looks like a childrens toy, unfortunately this means all the useful options are buried under tons of menu systems.
tempdbs
Liceneus wrote:
skygaia wrote:
I don't like MS and its products. But unfortunately I have to use its products everyday. I think many people hate MS because there is no compettitor. Linux, open source group, represents anti-MS or major compettitor. But the market share of MS products is almost 70% in real world. it means MS could be a invisible dictator in our world.........


... and CAPITALIST MS!!!


Note -

Leaders are not Captalists by birth.... They become after getting that much fame... Rolling Eyes

Similarly M$ Idea leaded the world... (and also leading... - Hope no one agrees Wink )
sefilim
most popular games and also programs are released for microsoft OS , so other operating systems have no more chance to develop.At last we have a big collection of microsoft OS in our houses

I have used the below ms operating systems with their copyrights so far

# Windows 95
# Windows 98
# Windows 98 Second Edition
# Windows XP

and now , I already use XP , but I don't want to upgrade to vista ,actually the problem is not to upgrade to vista , the problem is to pay for an operating system.So I don't want to upgrade my operating system with paying.The free or cheap solutions must be in the service of us.But the game or program developers support these projects as first and important step Cool
fortune
I am not an programmer or developer so I have never really embraced Unix/Linux or other OS. I have been an Windows IT Consultant for quite some years and I love microsoft. I know that Unix/Linux/MAC/ and all others have their specialized needs in the workforce, but I never felt the need to step outside the microsoft world, on the server side or desktop side.
Since, Vista is scheduled for release I have been hearing many ask "is microsoft doomed"! I think microsoft is a business like any other business, therefore it will have an rocky road (here and there), then eventually things will steady out or economize (handle business). I can't imagine microsoft being a sinking ship! microsoft is a survivor and will change if the industry ever changes. If the world began primarily using an Linux based system, then I think it is fair to assume that microsoft probably has an secret weapon (Windows Linux based OS) in the cut, ready to shock the world and take over as a Linux OS! Of course, this would not be revealed unless the world shifted overnight from Windows to Linux, but I doubt this would ever happen because I am confident there are many more people that love microsoft than Linux.

I never had any serious issues with viruses, stability, security, crashes, or other most disputed issues (and I have used microsoft as an advanced user (sys admin) for over 10+ years). Not to say I never had any problems such as: compatibility, configuration, errors, etc. but I haven't had anything that would make me say "I am switching to Linux". Honestly, have you?

I can't take any cheap shots at Linux, because as being an sys admin I must sometimes work with *nix systems and I'm actually activy with the open source community, but I don't think microsoft is doomed! Do you?

****
Most people who complain about microsoft is using pirated software! Get a purchased copy from the manufacturer then complain. The same people who get a bootleg DVD then complain about its quality!
****
nivre
microsoft is a business oriented company, having such fees, they tend to develop more newer technology to enhance the way of living. Since they pay people to make this innovation, they also need to profit from it... Unlike other open source programs, they are created by good hearted people in which makes the world more easier to live on....There is a big difference on Open Source programming and In House Programming so don't even compare the two...
Coen
Microsoft has a monopoly on virtually the entire market, they charge loads of money for a relatively bad program. You need to update and secure your computer even though you have bought windows with safety and stuff. This while, for example Linux, is free and it is impossible to get infected by a virus or a bug as it's programming is far better. Microsoft is dominating the market while there are better and free alternatives. That triggers some reaction amongst most people.
tempdbs
Coen wrote:
they charge loads of money for a relatively bad program.


No...! before they launch a product into market. they will implement it in their own world and they will resolve (almost) the realtime bugs and for working after a couple of uears, then they will go for market.

Quote:

Microsoft has a monopoly on virtually the entire market


They are made as monoploy's as nobody is there in this entire market...! (As I Explained earlier)
vinx_18
I don't really hate Microsoft like any other people. I just hate their prices on their products... Unlike linux..I havn't but any software on my Ubuntu..I use all softwares that are installed on my linux box for free. And it is better than Windows...
alkady
People hate Microsoft for valid reasons such as horrible experience owning Microsoft products, while other will hate them out of hypocricy.

If you ask a Apple "Fanboy", he will tell you Apple is superior to Microsoft because Leopard is 100x better than Vista, because it has no viruses or so on.

If you ask a Ordinary American Joe what he thinks of Microsoft, he'll say, don't care.
pocky_ninja
I simply don't like been forced to use inferior products. Why do I HAVE to buy a computer with Windows installed on it and pay for it (and Microsoft contracts do that)? Why do computers have security systems to stop me from installing a diferent O.S.? Not fair I tell ya!
itolerance
hi

Very Happy they sell thier software for good moolah, and they also provide security holes with each software... they have been making good software... but sometimes they do not have a reason why problems occur or whats the cause for this...
LostOverThere
Microsoft and Quality is an oxymoron. Simple as that.

Microsoft aren't good software designers, just very sneaky at marketing. Most people hate Microsoft for, as many other people have said. Forcing their software onto computers.
liljp617
pocky_ninja wrote:
I simply don't like been forced to use inferior products. Why do I HAVE to buy a computer with Windows installed on it and pay for it (and Microsoft contracts do that)? Why do computers have security systems to stop me from installing a diferent O.S.? Not fair I tell ya!

There are obviously quite a number of alternatives to buying a PC with Windows on it. You don't have to buy a PC. You don't have to buy a pre-built PC. You can actually put together your own even without having much experience (due to the Internet) for quite a cheap price. If you don't like something, there are obviously alternatives.
Da Rossa
Look, actually M$ is wonderful. I mean it. Windows is wonderful too. I have used it in my entire life, and it took me from there to here. There is no way its bad, a too expensive product is very unlikely to be. It has its price, but we dont know if it would get to where it got in terms of development if it wasnt for the price charged. Plus, its really easy to use and user friendly.

Now, the two bad things.
Internet explorer: did a great job also, in the past. Now its obsolete. There is no real reason for one to use it except for the windows update. Use Firefox instead. Why? There are many other topics about it.

Hotmail: many people still use because it was one of the first email services around and "kinda beautiful". But today its TOO bloated and lacking in functions. The page load is time-consuming too. Again, there is no real reason for they to use it, use Gmail!
redhakaw
all i can say is that MS products promote intellectual dwarfing.

I.T. people become dumb and forget how to create solutions from scratch.
Non I.T. people can already create their own systems with simple clicks and wizards.

compare Windows to Linux/unix, or MS SQL server with Sybase/Oracle

MS products make your lives easier in the expense of critical thinking.

my 2 cents worth.
Da Rossa
What you appear not to realize is that less than 1% of the people actually need to think critically when operating their systems to achieve their goals. M$, as a businesslady, aimed at the mortals that don't even have time to learn the computer basics. And she did and still does her job satisfactorily. If it wasn't, then she wouldn't be selling millions of copies of Windows Vista.
joncom
microwsofet id a BOT...
corrupt
I believe that people hate microsoft so much because there have no one else to hate/compare with microsoft at the same level. Id also say that "most" people that say they hate windows desktops would have even more hate for a linux based desktop in the long run. Microsoft is expensive etc because they've done a heap of research and work towards making desktop computers easier for the user. People just tend to remember the bad and forget about all the good.
Da Rossa
corrupt wrote:
I believe that people hate microsoft so much because there have no one else to hate/compare with microsoft at the same level. Id also say that "most" people that say they hate windows desktops would have even more hate for a linux based desktop in the long run. Microsoft is expensive etc because they've done a heap of research and work towards making desktop computers easier for the user. People just tend to remember the bad and forget about all the good.


Good point. If OSX were so popular like Windows since at most 1995, there would be an endeless war, but much less intense than what we see today from the Mac+Linux community towards the Windows community.
indianinworld
dISCLAIMer - Iam not a employee of microsoft and iam NO WAY, Directly or Indirectly involved with microsoft or its sister concerns.

becos they work with it, right ????

People who hate microsoft or folks who dislike microsoft should not be using any microsoft products.

But as a matter of fact, they will curse microsoft and will keep on using microsoft products - both hardware and software included. Infact, they might have replied to this forum using the personal computer or laptop or a electronic device which is powered by microsoft products Laughing

MICROSOFT THE TECHNOLOGY THAT KEEPS MOST OF THE COMPUTERS IN THE WORLD RUNNING

Keep smiling buddies and keep using microsoft Smile
LostOverThere
indianinworld wrote:
But as a matter of fact, they will curse microsoft and will keep on using microsoft products - both hardware and software included. Infact, they might have replied to this forum using the personal computer or laptop or a electronic device which is powered by microsoft products


That's only because Microsoft force there products on people. Ever bought a new computer? It is insanely rare to not get Windows with it. Microsoft are better businessmen then programmers.

indianinworld wrote:
MICROSOFT THE TECHNOLOGY THAT KEEPS MOST OF THE COMPUTERS IN THE WORLD RUNNING


That's not true at all. The large majority of online games run on Linux. As well as the very large majority of super computers and servers. No Unix, the internet would be nothing what it is today. It would be expensive and very very unreliable.

indianinworld wrote:
Keep smiling buddies and keep using microsoft Smile


I'll stick to Linux thanks.
Summer
mayb bill gates have a lot of money =D
or maybe his products have a lot of security holes
PatTheGreat42
I actually really like Microsoft products. The trick is setting it up so you eliminate all the bits designed for (please excuse the stereotype) grannies who still think digital watches are pretty dang fancy.

Furthermore, I downright don't trust those dagnab hippy computers. I am, of course, referring to Apple, Inc. Linux and other such platforms I'm cool with. But Apple? Can't trust 'em.

You know they're just implementing society-wide mind control with those iPods in your iEars listening to iMusic, right?

iControl. Specifically, iControl u.
Da Rossa
Quote:
That's only because Microsoft force there products on people. Ever bought a new computer? It is insanely rare to not get Windows with it. Microsoft are better businessmen then programmers.


Not like that. People had no other alternative of a friendly OS for mortals. And you always had the option to buy the hardware part by part, which, in my country, ends up even cheaper.

Quote:
That's not true at all. The large majority of online games run on Linux. As well as the very large majority of super computers and servers. No Unix, the internet would be nothing what it is today. It would be expensive and very very unreliable.
He meant the absolute number of the computers, which I'm saying the domestic PCs, not the 'importance' of them. And this is true. Most PCs in the world are running windows.

Quote:
mayb bill gates have a lot of money =D
This is absolutely nonsense.

Quote:

iControl. Specifically, iControl u.
Tell me more about it please.
iamarun
I like Microsoft products. They give very good products. I personally appreciate their work in producing the quality products.

I am the user of Hotmail and i love using hotmail than yahoo, doesn't mean that yahoo is bad.

I also use msn messenger which is also a very good product from Microsoft Corporations.

Now microsoft is bidding to buy yahoo. Let see the development of Microsoft Corporation which will stand as the No 1 company in the computer world.

Lets hope for the best to happen for the good companies

Good post, Keep up your good work
salman_500
i hate it because it crashed when windows 98 was being introduced in public ! lol

but i like it coz it didnt happena gain....lol
riv_
I just hate their monopoly.
When I buy a new computer, it comes preloaded with MS software, and of course, I have to pay for it. i don;t have a choice.
I genuinely hate that about Microsoft.
I like to choose which software I out on my computer. ANd furthermore, since I;m going to delete most (or all) of the software anyways, I figure I should get a discount. Or I should be able to buy a system without all the software for a comparable price.
But I can't. It just bugs me!
tempdbs
riv_ wrote:

When I buy a new computer, it comes preloaded with MS software, and of course, I have to pay for it. i don;t have a choice.


Very paining....!

riv_ wrote:

ANd furthermore, since I;m going to delete most (or all) of the software anyways, I figure I should get a discount.


Many of feel the same...........!
Gustavus
I like using Microsoft operating systems... I haven't touched Vista, so I have no opinion on that...

But it is true Microsoft has messed some programs up, and there's many many viable options out there...

Hotmail... Internet Explorer.... Rubbish....

But I just dislike Macintosh, they aren't as widely used, thus games or programs aren't being made for the Mac quite as much as a windows machine....

Plus come on, who doesn't love Bill Gates? I know I do.
ForceRun
The whole fact that the company has no moral standing, and just wants to suck the money out of people. I called tech support to activate a copy of windows on a laptop I was working on and they wouldn't even talk to me it was just an example their problems.,.
emem
tempdbs wrote:
As I have heard, there are so many people who doesn't like the products of Microsoft.

Any body have a valid reason ? Wannah to hear all the flames on Microsoft...!

Of course, you can post counter (Negative) and Postive comments..!

Vista, Hotmail, Live, etc.., All the Micosoft products..


Maybe because they take money from people? And then offer more or less half functional thing?? Good enough reason if you ask me...
PatTheGreat42
I think the reason so many people hate Microsoft is that they treat the user as too stupid. They put all these helpful friendly things in it that would be awesome, except the people that understand them don't need them and the people that need them don't understand them. So you wind up with this vast, need-to-use operating system that no one really likes to use because it's either an insult to their intelligence or too vastly confusing. So yeah.
dcfive65ive
Microsoft is prone to more viruses than MAC
j_f_k
Eyre wrote:
I've also been using Visual Developer 2008 and it's pretty nice for what I do Razz


Not surprising - Microsoft had poached most of Borland's developers at hte time time no-one in the right minds would consider using hte microsoft compiler to develop windows applications.

At one stage it was a laughable development environment and c++ compiler, however that's all changed now and I think its now one of the better c++ compilers despite the jaundiced opinion the anti-micrisoft brigate.
raine dragon
I just finished re-installing windows... because my old version got damaged by a virus. It took two tries to just install the operating system. >.<;;

Why do I not like Microsoft? The issue I was having should have been a simple repair; I just needed to replace a few files; but the restore from the CD wouldn't work because it wasn't compatible with SP2, and removing SP2 made me incompatible with SP1a which was what was on the CD, so my whole computer went down and overheated while trying to repair.
tempdbs
emem wrote:

And then offer more or less half functional thing??


Half Functional thing ?
Do anyone have the capability of exploring all the windows ? Laughing

First people are not anxious to learn the total functionality. Why are you posing that on the products?
ashen
I'm not hate them, I just don't like them. It's because their product prices are so expensive, especially for me! >_<
eday2010
Answer: Stupidity.

I like Microsoft. They make some excellnt products. Their mice and keyboards are top notch. Windows XP does whatever I need it to; it's not always easy to get some things working if it's something a bit obscure, but in the end it works. Internet Explorer works fine for me. Bascially I have had no problems with any MS items.

For those who whine that Windows comes on a new computer even if you don't want it: either build the computer yourself or buy it from a local independent computer shop. that way you can put whatever the heck you want on it. Buying it from a big box place limits your options in more ways than one.

As for why people hate MS, I think a lot has to do with jealousy. Not one person who hates MS would not take the opportunity to be in Bill Gates' position, with his pockets full of money. The fact is that if Microsoft didn't make good products to start with, it wouldn't have become adopted by all the governments and businesses that have adopted it. they would have gone with Mac.

People also like to hate the big guy and root for the underdog. If Linux had the cash and huge company Microsoft does, everyone would hate them. Seems like people don't like others becoming successful. they want everyone to own small businesses and make enough money to get by. Heaven forbig should anyone prosper Rolling Eyes
Sphaerenkern
I think it's a combination of the kind-of-monopoly and this unfair business they (seem to) run. Many people think that they just don't act very fair and because of this, Microsoft had some problems with the law, they had to pay fines a few times for their unfair business methods.

Take google for example. google is THE search engine. There are many theories about google spying on your privacy and so on, but who would really say that they HATE google? I don't think so, but google doesn't seem as some evil, unfair player in the business world. They're just... mighty.

I neither hate Microsoft nor google, that's just too emotional. I just use Macs (and I don't love them either) and try to use exalead as a search engine. However, there are often cases when I use google cause I don't find something..
tempdbs
Sphaerenkern wrote:

Take google for example. google is THE search engine. There are many theories about google spying on your privacy and so on, but who would really say that they HATE google? I don't think so, but google doesn't seem as some evil, unfair player in the business world. They're just... mighty.


Good catch frnd,...! But no one escapes from google..!
molif
you hate it or love it... microsoft does made an impact in our world of IT.. on how we use and apply to make out lives more easier and techie..
skygaia
I think many of you don't like Micro Soft.. sometimes I was told that Bill had donated lots of money. and it made me happy. He earned a lot of money and also kenw how to spend the money. I like bill but don't like Microsoft because of its attitude for the consummers. MS's market share is so high as you know. But there are lost of errors in their softwares and they are so lazy to respond for the consumers' claim.
xtupie
Remember when you are top of the pile everyone want to get there too.

I guess people do not want Microsoft to succeed or they think that their software is too expensive. I have on the other hand only used Microsoft my entire computer life and I have found their product excellent and I use at least 10 of their product everyday.

Yes they could be cheaper but in their defence it does take a lot of Development, research and coding to get one product out into the market and all these people have to be paid a salary so maybe they are not so expensive after all when you realise what it takes and costs to produce one Microsoft product.

It is always nice to get something for free and I guess people think that they can get software for free to; I suppose you can by copying it but that is not legal is it.

JUST IMAGINE a WORLD without MICROSOFT???

Sold on Microsoft, thanks Bill and the team the world would be totally different if it was not for you, our company and your ideas and software.
rockstarboi
Well I don't like Microsoft because the xbox 360 was a bad make why? Mine personally I had for a year and it broke, luckily I had a warranty, but now if it breaks again I can't get a new one.

What makes you so sure you can trust Microsoft?
thejam
ow come on !! windows is ****** up, how many times do programs just stop without a reason?? I never have such problems with mac os x
HIPHOP
Everyone hates microsoft because it owns much of the technology we use. Although it has a couple good programs out there well the reality is there is always the exception of using a different program. They work pretty much the same. All you are really buying is the name brand.
ankitdatashn
Well thats true, many of my friends also hate microsoft, there is one "abhinav" he just hates microsoft like anything, tries to use linux in his system...

For me I like microsoft products namely Windows XP, I guess it would be there in my grave too!!, but I think the company of Microsoft is a bit arrogant kinda, like they tried to overtook yahoo, with their own bid, its not good.
Ghost Rider103
I don't think people hate Mircosoft all together, just some of their products.

I think everyone has a product they dislike, or have a problem with.

The prouct that really makes me angry is the Xbox 360. This system is a joke. I got my first 360, and it lasted for about 7 months, then it broke. So ok, I fugred I just got unlucky. I sent it in for repair, and when I got it back, it had only lasted 4 days! I then had to send it back for repair again. Then that 360 only lasted for not even a month. So of course, I sent it back for repair, once again. By this time, (It takes least ammount of time a week for it to be shipped out, repaired, then re-shipped back to you, can take up to two weeks though) I was already annoyed, and was loosing interest in games. I was playing games at one point every single day, more than 5 hours. I would sometimes not even sleep. Then I got down to not playing it for weeks at a time. Even with me not hardly playing it at all, only lasted two months again. I put maxium of 10 hours on it this last time, and it broke on me. I am tired of sending it in for repair. Before you send it in for repair, you have to call them and have them send you a shipment box to send it in, how dumb is that? So my 360 sits on top of my TV, and never gets touched.

Maybe one day I will send it in for repair. But no way am I keeping it, that piece of junk is going up for sell, along with every game and accessorie with it.

Anyways, Microsoft does have it's plus side of products. Atleast my original xbox still works....Oh wait, I already sold that one Laughing
medievalman26
It is just a big corporation that people decided lets hate that one now. Although....vista is a great product to hate Very Happy
andy26
I think Microsoft are okay. although operating system wise theyve killed vista, XP forever!
tempdbs
medievalman26 wrote:
It is just a big corporation that people decided lets hate that one now. Although....vista is a great product to hate Very Happy


Not always..! Vista has more beautiful look and also performance wise also it is better..

Not agreed with you dude..! Occupies a little bit more space, neevetheless space is a very minor issue now-a-days...!

Many agree with this..! I Think you too...!
ccube921
They are just too proffessional big business type that it makes you feel like they think you are nothing, and welll, to you , your everything so you have totally conflicting views= HATE MICROSOFT lol I really dont hate they are just a bit annoying
evilryu530
i like microsoft. people hate the top dog, the king of the mountain. it's epic. people love to see the king fall. thats how it just is. everyone loves the underdog. i use microsofts services/software/hardware all the time. if it wasn't for them, where would tech, web, and os be right now???? for damn sure not as far, might have gone a different route..who cares? life's too short to debate with haters...
the666bbq
people hate microsoft because they are jeaolous of the succes, because they where the only package for a long time and people always have to have something to be annoyed about. now people stay pissed because of 'historical contamination'. If the hate was that big and justified we all would be using the other packages now (apple, linux,..) but hey most people find the microsoft products ergonomically to use, pretty to look at,... I have tried to start some of the linux things but those packages convinced me otherwise, I keep trying from time to time, one of these days I have to try out ubuntu where I hear a lot of good things from, we'll see
joostvane
I don't like it because its a company that is all about money... Its all about marketing and about making money. They code is not opensource, wich would make it alot better, and they are making unfair competitions in marketing. For example, a couple of weeks ago I heard on the news that they were keeping Vista information classified, so that Software developers could not develop some programs for it yet...
FrightKnight
I don't hate Microsoft because I use it in my PC, laptop, and at the office. Why will I use it if I hate it right? Some haters also use Microsoft products. Oh.. yeah... People just like to complain almost about anything.. Although I prefer UNIX for a server machine, but for personal computing, Microsoft all the way.

Cheers!
deanhills
I wish there is someone that can give Microsoft good competition. As there is lots of room for improvement in its products. I also do not like its marketing practices. For example in the Middle East I cannot buy any of the Microsoft products online. Microsoft has in effect barred people resident in the Middle East from purchasing its products online. I've just been through that exercise. I've been using FrontPage and want to upgrade to Expressions Web II. I first tried their online store and when you have to give your credit card information it only gives you an option for the United States. I then noticed that Microsoft is selling its products online only to certain "centres", including the UK and a few others. I then tried to find out how I could buy the product online where I am by contacting their offices in the UAE. And by trial and error learned that I could not do that. Microsoft has also barred its offices in the UAE from telling me who the retailers are in the UAE. The upgrade and new software has a big price difference, so may not even be able to get that. Go figure ..... Evil or Very Mad
Hogwarts
deanhills wrote:
I wish there is someone that can give Microsoft good competition. As there is lots of room for improvement in its products. I also do not like its marketing practices. For example in the Middle East I cannot buy any of the Microsoft products online. Microsoft has in effect barred people resident in the Middle East from purchasing its products online. I've just been through that exercise. I've been using FrontPage and want to upgrade to Expressions Web II. I first tried their online store and when you have to give your credit card information it only gives you an option for the United States. I then noticed that Microsoft is selling its products online only to certain "centres", including the UK and a few others. I then tried to find out how I could buy the product online where I am by contacting their offices in the UAE. And by trial and error learned that I could not do that. Microsoft has also barred its offices in the UAE from telling me who the retailers are in the UAE. The upgrade and new software has a big price difference, so may not even be able to get that. Go figure ..... Evil or Very Mad


They're not doing that because they hate you. Microsoft, as with all companies, wants to sell their products. There definitely is another reason for this; and I'm pretty sure that's not Microsoft's fault.
Fatality
I try to use open source software as much as I can not only to support the open source community, but they more open then not are more customizable. I'm currently running Windows 7 on both me laptop and my home desktop and have has little to no trouble with it. I have run into a couple communicability issues, but Windows 7 is still just an RC.
ProfessorY91
Microsoft was merely the catalyst for other smaller companies, organizations, and groups to fight back. Without Microsoft, there would be no "foolproof" universal fallback in case everything else went wrong. In turn, they forced the creation of linux and other free operating systems. Its why freedom of choice is so powerful.
mwsupra
I hate Microsoft mostly from a web developer prospective. Everyone else for the most part follow the same standards but M$ has to be different so you have to spend extra time just for IE compatibility. Same goes for media on web pages.

Also, I hate them for their crappy IE8 push. I personally haven't had a problem with upgrading to IE8, but working in tech support it is insane the amount of people who's IE/Internet stopped working after the IE8 push. Uninstalling IE8 always fixes their problem Cool
pll
Maybe because they wanted to put a limit of 3 softwares running at the same time for the light version of windows 7 ? (they retired this idea but still the light version are the ones which gets best selled).

Maybe because they have viruses and macs doesn't.

Maybe because they put something useless (for people who can see, or people who have their arms) in their operating systems ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y_Jp6PxsSQ ), seriously, why would we need voice recognition? If someone is blind, he would be able to buy a software like this... that works!

Maybe because 2 Gb of Memory is needed to run vista without being laggy.
Maybe because there is always something that doesn't work when you try to re-install windows (like a printer, or a graphic cards driver), and you need to spend hours to fix it.

Or, maybe it's just because of the Blue Screens Of Death that we can see too often.


If you want more reasons, PM me ! Cool

Edit : Don't forget to read my signature about this! Wink
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I wish there is someone that can give Microsoft good competition. As there is lots of room for improvement in its products. I also do not like its marketing practices. For example in the Middle East I cannot buy any of the Microsoft products online. Microsoft has in effect barred people resident in the Middle East from purchasing its products online. I've just been through that exercise. I've been using FrontPage and want to upgrade to Expressions Web II. I first tried their online store and when you have to give your credit card information it only gives you an option for the United States. I then noticed that Microsoft is selling its products online only to certain "centres", including the UK and a few others. I then tried to find out how I could buy the product online where I am by contacting their offices in the UAE. And by trial and error learned that I could not do that. Microsoft has also barred its offices in the UAE from telling me who the retailers are in the UAE. The upgrade and new software has a big price difference, so may not even be able to get that. Go figure ..... Evil or Very Mad


They're not doing that because they hate you. Microsoft, as with all companies, wants to sell their products. There definitely is another reason for this; and I'm pretty sure that's not Microsoft's fault.
I definitely did not say Microsoft hated me. And YES it is Microsoft's fault that I can't buy their products in the Middle East. When I went right to the hub in the Middlle East, the customer service people were surprised themselves as they truly thought there would have been a way they could have got me to buy the product online. They were shocked themselves. So that is completely something that belongs to Microsoft. Nobody else. I simply can't buy their products online through their own decision. Not mine or anybody else's. I have to travel to a different country such as the UK, United States or Canada to purchase Microsoft Web Expression II, or in the heat of 45 degrees Celsius at this time, figure out where the software retailers are in Dubai, which with their limited selection are bound not to have a copy of the software. They will offer to get it for me, AND I will have to buy it at a premium, i.e. probably double the price. I doubt they will have the upgrade version available. Thanks to Microsoft!
Hogwarts
deanhills wrote:
I definitely did not say Microsoft hated me. And YES it is Microsoft's fault that I can't buy their products in the Middle East. When I went right to the hub in the Middlle East, the customer service people were surprised themselves as they truly thought there would have been a way they could have got me to buy the product online. They were shocked themselves. So that is completely something that belongs to Microsoft. Nobody else. I simply can't buy their products online through their own decision. Not mine or anybody else's. I have to travel to a different country such as the UK, United States or Canada to purchase Microsoft Web Expression II, or in the heat of 45 degrees Celsius at this time, figure out where the software retailers are in Dubai, which with their limited selection are bound not to have a copy of the software. They will offer to get it for me, AND I will have to buy it at a premium, i.e. probably double the price. I doubt they will have the upgrade version available. Thanks to Microsoft!


Microsoft wants to sell their products as much as possible. There is definitely an explanation pf why you cannot buy this.

What you're saying is incoherently illogical.

Deanhills wrote:
I simply can't buy their products online through their own decision

They're not not selling it to you because they don't like you, you're just arguing with completely fooled logic Rolling Eyes

In fact, no, you're not even arguing with logic. It's mindless dribble created by somebody who hates Microsoft for the sake of hating them. It's not their fault. Selling their product to you would be good for both of you.
Denvis
What's up with all the commotion? I don't hate Microsoft.
mattyj
i dont like the fact that they include Internot Exploder with all versions of windows, which hurts companies like Mozilla, Opera, Netscape etc....

I dont like the fact that they are not open source

I dont like their customer service

The only good thing theyve ever done is the Age of Empires games.... Smile
biljap
I personally don’t have any problems with MS software, I like it.
From what I’ve heard from my friends, they don’t like Microsoft (I wouldn’t use word “hate”) because they feel they don’t have enough possibilities to customize Windows the way they would like it to look like and to be organized. As hey are experienced users they want to have more freedom in configuring some features. Also, they don’t like the fact that Microsoft is making them to think in specific way, and making them use something they don’t want… So, I would say that the main reason I know about is: they want more freedom to customize everything the way they like it.

What I don’t understand is why some people always talk about MS and how bad it is… and still continues to use it! There are other options, try them out and choose better.
slive
I don't have any problem with Microsoft.
I think, it's fine
Hogwarts
mattyj wrote:
i dont like the fact that they include Internot Exploder with all versions of windows, which hurts companies like Mozilla, Opera, Netscape etc....

Stupid argument. All major Linux distributions do the same; Apple does the same. I don't half doubt that BSD and all other unix-based operating systems do the same. Why is it only bad that Microsoft does it?

mattyj wrote:
I dont like the fact that they are not open source

Why? It's perfectly fair to not release the source code of the OS you design. Should you give away the source code of the websites? I personally wouldn't; I'd rather my website wasn't usurped by a clone using my very own source.
anakin_skyrunner
andy26 wrote:
I think Microsoft are okay. although operating system wise theyve killed vista, XP forever!

I cannot second this. I've been using vista for almost a year and had no problems with it. At school we still have xp and just can't see it anymore. Luckily we get new pcs this summer Smile and of course there is still 7 in preparation Wink so, Yeah, i like ms - they only got high prices hehe
sheedatali
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
andy26 wrote:
I think Microsoft are okay. although operating system wise theyve killed vista, XP forever!

I cannot second this. I've been using vista for almost a year and had no problems with it. At school we still have xp and just can't see it anymore. Luckily we get new pcs this summer Smile and of course there is still 7 in preparation Wink so, Yeah, i like ms - they only got high prices hehe


I don't hate them, I just think value for money is not there. Windows is a Okish OS, but they price for OS is high, support is expensive and run time costs are much higher. I choose to use Linux, however it has downsides too. Although I can get it for free, support is free and it is very stable, it is not very easy for novice users, has not got much gaming support and has got too much choice.


So for me the Cost wins the vote for Linux.
Melacos
Essentially what it comes down to, would be a contra-definition to whatever software product you find work better, or it could just (as I'd guess it would be in most cases) an angle on a topic of conversation, that is currently political acceptable in certain networks of IT users.

Microsoft is easily contrasted to other (arguably less succesfull) enterprises, and symbolized as the evil, that must be put down in order for truth/quality/morality to prevail.

Of course I will not rule out the possibility of actual concerns to whether the Microsoft products actually work as intended, but looking at the problem from a more theoretical perspective seems interesting as well...
Triple_7
I'm running Vista Home Basic 64-bit without issues. But when I first built this system about a year and a half ago it was another story. This security thing they have going on Vista is a real waist of time. When I upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit I couldn't get it to activate, kept saying the key was already used on another system. Tech support was a complete joke, finally got it straitened out after some 2 weeks of calls and emails. I mean...I picked up a brand new, still in the factory wrapping, full retail version for $120 on Ebay. Ordered the 64-bit disk from Microsoft and that's when the trouble started. I mean...its a piece of software under $200...but requires activation and periodic renewals...annoying. I literally have a $1500 piece of software for home design...and it has no security at all Rolling Eyes

Microsoft just goes overboard, they think their software is prized art, when its not even close. Then all these added security features built in...I bet 75% of Vista users install the operating system, then deactivate every last bit of those firewalls, and other junk. There's programs 100x better then that of Windows Security Center and most of them are FREE Rolling Eyes

And then there's Internet Explorer...WHY must it infest every operating system they create...its useless, but yet can't be removed as its weaved into every little thing. The rare times I've had to use it, extremely rare, I get more junk and spyware dumped on my rig in 5 minutes then Firefox gets in a year. Mad Internet Explorer needs to die, theres people that love it, but leave it out of my operating system Rolling Eyes

Out of the operating systems and into some of their software. They all have those system requirements listed on the box, but those are so far off its not even worth printing. Take the Microsoft Flight Simulator series for instance...(I make heavy use of it in my spare time)...The minimum requirements on the box for the 2004 edition are a complete joke. It might run, but forget having any detail, let alone a smooth flight...slide show is more like it. I have the 2004 edition running on a very high end system, blows those minimum requirements away. But its still not totally maxed out, I've got it to where it runs nice and smooth, but there are still a few spots where it lags a little...on a $2500 rig it shouldn't lag one bit Evil or Very Mad But that's Microsoft for you, I love their products, but its time they actually put more realistic minimum requirements on the box instead of leading people to believe it will run on a low end system when in reality it wont even run at all, or just barely.

Main reason I like Microsoft, though there's a lot of things to hate. They are the only operating system that can run just about everything. I've used many Macs back in high school...the new ones post 2005 are pretty decent, if you do video editing, graphics work, sound editing, etc. But are generally useless for the normal person who needs more then that. Older Macs...pre 2005, are about as useless as the cardboard box they came in Rolling Eyes Shocked
deanhills
Triple_7 wrote:
I'm running Vista Home Basic 64-bit without issues. But when I first built this system about a year and a half ago it was another story. This security thing they have going on Vista is a real waist of time. When I upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit I couldn't get it to activate, kept saying the key was already used on another system. Tech support was a complete joke, finally got it straitened out after some 2 weeks of calls and emails. I mean...I picked up a brand new, still in the factory wrapping, full retail version for $120 on Ebay. Ordered the 64-bit disk from Microsoft and that's when the trouble started. I mean...its a piece of software under $200...but requires activation and periodic renewals...annoying. I literally have a $1500 piece of software for home design...and it has no security at all Rolling Eyes

Microsoft just goes overboard, they think their software is prized art, when its not even close. Then all these added security features built in...I bet 75% of Vista users install the operating system, then deactivate every last bit of those firewalls, and other junk. There's programs 100x better then that of Windows Security Center and most of them are FREE Rolling Eyes

And then there's Internet Explorer...WHY must it infest every operating system they create...its useless, but yet can't be removed as its weaved into every little thing. The rare times I've had to use it, extremely rare, I get more junk and spyware dumped on my rig in 5 minutes then Firefox gets in a year. Mad Internet Explorer needs to die, theres people that love it, but leave it out of my operating system Rolling Eyes

Out of the operating systems and into some of their software. They all have those system requirements listed on the box, but those are so far off its not even worth printing. Take the Microsoft Flight Simulator series for instance...(I make heavy use of it in my spare time)...The minimum requirements on the box for the 2004 edition are a complete joke. It might run, but forget having any detail, let alone a smooth flight...slide show is more like it. I have the 2004 edition running on a very high end system, blows those minimum requirements away. But its still not totally maxed out, I've got it to where it runs nice and smooth, but there are still a few spots where it lags a little...on a $2500 rig it shouldn't lag one bit Evil or Very Mad But that's Microsoft for you, I love their products, but its time they actually put more realistic minimum requirements on the box instead of leading people to believe it will run on a low end system when in reality it wont even run at all, or just barely.

Main reason I like Microsoft, though there's a lot of things to hate. They are the only operating system that can run just about everything. I've used many Macs back in high school...the new ones post 2005 are pretty decent, if you do video editing, graphics work, sound editing, etc. But are generally useless for the normal person who needs more then that. Older Macs...pre 2005, are about as useless as the cardboard box they came in Rolling Eyes Shocked
Interesting review. Wish someone out there can come up with an alternative for Microsoft. Someone who is prepared to take a great risk, and put some money into it. Maybe recreate the PC completely from scratch. So much that Microsoft products would look antiquated and can't run on it. We probably need a new vision, the equivalent of what Gates had at the beginning of the eighties when he started on his first PC.
Hogwarts
Triple_7 wrote:
And then there's Internet Explorer...WHY must it infest every operating system they create...its useless, but yet can't be removed as its weaved into every little thing. The rare times I've had to use it, extremely rare, I get more junk and spyware dumped on my rig in 5 minutes then Firefox gets in a year. Mad Internet Explorer needs to die, theres people that love it, but leave it out of my operating system Rolling Eyes

Why does almost every Linux distribution include Firefox? Why must it infest every operating system the open source community creates? Rolling Eyes

Oh, and Internet Explorer can be removed. Quite easily, too Rolling Eyes

Triple_7 wrote:
leave it out of my operating system

Perhaps we should realise that we're using an operating system that conflicts with our beliefs and switch away from the "oh-so-evil" Microsoft. It's not their fault you're using their products.

Triple_7 wrote:
minimum requirements on the box instead of leading people to believe it will run on a low end system when in reality it wont even run at all, or just barely.

You're really not that bright, are you? You're saying the minimum requirements printed on the box shouldn't be the minimum requirements to run a program? Oh, I suddenly see what Microsoft was doing all along! How could I have missed that?

Deanhills wrote:
Someone who is prepared to take a great risk, and put some money into it.

Oh, have you heard of these new things called "Linux", "BSD" and "Mac OS"? Perhaps you should give them a try.

You've all run off on stupid tangents, not even analyzing the problem of "Why do you hate Microsoft" and instead deciding the flame it because you hate Microsoft for incredibly illogical reasons. Get back on topic and give a decent reason why you dislike Microsoft already Sad
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
Oh, have you heard of these new things called "Linux", "BSD" and "Mac OS"? Perhaps you should give them a try.
Maybe everyone has, however it is not as easily available as Microsoft is. This is what I mean with someone doing similar marketing, i.e. making it easy to use in a similar way. You're a computer whizz and on the programming end of computers. Most of computer users aren't computer fundis so are quite willing to succumb to Microsoft who is easily available and also standard software for most corporations, large organizations, Government departments etc.

I did not appreciate your "stupid tangents" comments about our reasons for "hating Microsoft". Think all of us have posted enough reasons in other threads for it to be pretty common sense why we are unhappy with Microsoft. The one below is one of many but one that I participated in with lots of hard work:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-106412.html#885184
skygaia
well... all of MS products are so expensive...
it's my simple question. Laughing
Hogwarts
deanhills wrote:
I did not appreciate your "stupid tangents" comments about our reasons for "hating Microsoft".


And yet you blame them unfairly for their software not being available in your region? Sad
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I did not appreciate your "stupid tangents" comments about our reasons for "hating Microsoft".


And yet you blame them unfairly for their software not being available in your region? Sad
Why was the blame unfair? Microsoft does not allow me to buy software online in the Middle East. that IS unfair! Even its own customer services agents agreed it was unfair. If you were in the Middle East and wanted to buy Microsoft software and couldn't get it immediately online I'm sure you would have thought similarly? I would have to travel to the UK, US or Canada to get an upgrade of Web Expressions II. Because of the way Microsoft does business here I would have to pay almost double in price to get the software and would have to travel to Dubai or Abu Dhabi to search for vendors who sell software. Microsoft has two big offices in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. One would have at least thought they could have sold their own software, if not online, that I could have travelled to their offices and purchased an upgrade there. Or they could have listed retailers on their Gulf Website, which they say they can't do as they are worried about preferential treatment. Go figure! Evil or Very Mad
Arty
I don't hate micro$oft, I just dislike using windows. =p
Insanity
I might not agree with some of the tactics that Microsoft has used in the past in order to become the huge business that they are today, but I think Bill Gates himself has done quite a bit of philantrophy, so people should take that into account. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has done quite a bit of work in helping the disadvantaged as well as helping rid the world of diseases and such. While it is true that Bill Gates was the core person behind some of Microsoft's corporate strategies, at least he has tried to redeem himself through some other means.
chatrack
They get established long ago, but it is getting difficult to finacialy afford their new products.
spring567
In fact,I like most of the products of Microsoft . I hate some products of MS . For example , MSN is so simple and it looks so ugly . Another product don't have a good look skin is Media Player . If Microsoft's procucts have a better face , I will like it more .
LostOverThere
Insanity wrote:
I might not agree with some of the tactics that Microsoft has used in the past in order to become the huge business that they are today, but I think Bill Gates himself has done quite a bit of philantrophy, so people should take that into account. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has done quite a bit of work in helping the disadvantaged as well as helping rid the world of diseases and such. While it is true that Bill Gates was the core person behind some of Microsoft's corporate strategies, at least he has tried to redeem himself through some other means.

You mean so Mr Gates can claim taxes on it, as well as improving his public perception. Wink

The main thing that bothers me is their disgusting high prices, and the fact that their products have just become the standard. Now I understand this isn't their fault entirely. But when you've got school's that require all your home software to be completely compatible with Office 2007, its a bit of a bummer. Well, not for Microsoft at least.
Hogwarts
LostOverThere wrote:
But when you've got school's that require all your home software to be completely compatible with Office 2007, its a bit of a bummer. Well, not for Microsoft at least.


Last I checked Google Docs and OO.org were compatible?
rvec
moved to Software

This move is part of rvec's big general chat cleanup
silverdown
People do because on some subjects the do stuff purposely to make people made like.... have every DAMN PROGRAM as for permission in vista!!! DIE permissions! DIE!!!!
Hogwarts
silverdown wrote:
People do because on some subjects the do stuff purposely to make people made like.... have every DAMN PROGRAM as for permission in vista!!! DIE permissions! DIE!!!!

Lots of programs require root permissions in Linux, too.
LostOverThere
Hogwarts wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
But when you've got school's that require all your home software to be completely compatible with Office 2007, its a bit of a bummer. Well, not for Microsoft at least.


Last I checked Google Docs and OO.org were compatible?

Not entirely, for the most part, yes. But thinks like comments, markups, and just small things like editing out footers on certain pages aren't. (In OOo anyway)
gcaughill
tempdbs wrote:
As I have heard, there are so many people who doesn't like the products of Microsoft.

Any body have a valid reason ? Wannah to hear all the flames on Microsoft...!

Of course, you can post counter (Negative) and Postive comments..!

Vista, Hotmail, Live, etc.., All the Micosoft products..


This type of post tends to create crazy topics.

Microsoft products are buggy and they use their monopoly to squeeze out competitors. Their products are close-sourced and you cannot edit or modify them easily to suit your needs.

etc.

etc.

It is a pretty long list.
myviny
You get bored with only one name. People like competition. But I am a fan of Gates
snowboardalliance
Well all the other browsers today (Firefox, Opera, Safari) are better than Internet Explorer (not to mention the awful IE6)
Linux is much more stable and secure than Windows, but we're stuck with software that is Windows only
Dennise
My MS gripes

1. They copy, repackage and re market others products. Does anyone remember CPM (OS), Wordperfect, VisiCalc, Netscape and many many others before Windows, Word and Excel? How about the mouse? Xerox invented that! MS does little real innovation.

2. MS releases products too soon and then gets their customers to debug and troubleshoot the faults in their half baked releases ......... all for FREE .... this saves MS millions!

3. Each time MS releases a new OS ( too often in MHO), PC users are nearly forced to buy it. But the worst part is that each new OS release obsoletes many hardware AND software products that MS has decided not to support. Result .... we must go out and buy new cameras, scanners graphic software programs and more. Then our old, perfectly working hardware, winds up a e-junk.

MS are marketing gurus and that's about it.
binsmyth
People hate microsoft maybe because microsoft have become so big that everyone is bored by them. One who goes up the hill does come down. Also, because of their way of controlling the market might be other reason
Da Rossa
Those who dislike should get a Mac, then. To have a good desktop, spend $ 1800 to an iMac, or something like 5000 to a decent MacPro. And yes, you'll have to re-adapt yourself.
snowboardalliance
Da Rossa wrote:
Those who dislike should get a Mac, then. To have a good desktop, spend $ 1800 to an iMac, or something like 5000 to a decent MacPro. And yes, you'll have to re-adapt yourself.


Or spend less and use Linux Wink
But everyone has their preferences
weableandbob
My main problem is that windows products are very unreliable. Windows has always been plagued by lots of problems (bit rot, BSOD, etc.), and the 360 has the red right of death, which claims one out of three 360's sold. If Microsoft spent more time making a product that worked better, I'd be happy.
welshsteve
I think the main reason people hate Microsoft is because of their dominance. Their software is also very expensive, although argubaly not as expensive as Adobe's software, which I think is ridiculously expensive.
guggs
Because they're successful. Life would be simpler all round if we could just dump all this Linux / Mac / Firefox nonsense and stick with one software supplier.
awazdohamko2004
I heard a famous saying .. dont worry when people start speaking against you or mock you ... they only do this because they are jealous by your name and fame and same is the case with microsoft .. hats off to them i can work on my system with out being a geek. I admire all the work they do and respect them for their flawless work
leondevil
I'm the one not hate microsoft. I think microsoft product is not bad at all. the most basic PC in the world base on Microsoft products such as Windows, MS Office and the other tools. I also use MS visual studio for coding the program (VB.net) that very suitable and easy to use. I like it.

Different people, Different thinking
guggs
awazdohamko2004 wrote:
I heard a famous saying .. dont worry when people start speaking against you or mock you ... they only do this because they are jealous by your name and fame and same is the case with microsoft .. hats off to them i can work on my system with out being a geek. I admire all the work they do and respect them for their flawless work


VERY good point - you don't need to be a geek / anorak to use MS products. Have you ever heard of any non-tech people using Linux ?

And from a developer's point-of-view, have you ever tried putting any code behind OpenOffice to build an app that someone might actually want to use ? Try finding code to change the mousepointer to "busy", or to yield to allow the OS to do other stuff - both regularly necessary tasks that require one line of code each in MS VBA.
Marcuzzo
hate is such a ugly word.

for almost every commercial program there is an opensource or even freeware alternative,
so nobody forces people to use MS products.

I don't agree with MS strategy, but hate them? no.

look at it this way: what would you do if you have spent hours and hours and a sh*t load of $$$ in development and research.
sanalskumar
In any of the unix flavours, you can decide which program should run, when and why? You have the best hold on your machine if you really know how things work around you.
Just take the case of Windows...

I plugged in a USB drive to my machine. And i am really very happy that this thing really works in my machine. After 2 days my system started showing some strange behaviour. Okay, now i came to know that, my pen drive was feeding some viruses in that and those wares did all this nonsense to my machine. Then i pray to Bill Gates to make it alright. I waited for a long time. Still its the same.

Everything is my fault. i was not supposed to use the system, the way i wanted. Even though i have payed a lot of money to microsoft for Windows, still i should purchase and use some third party programs that (may) protect me from all these threats in windows(I know that the BIG GUY - great windows defender is out there).

I have a choice now, i can just switch to ubuntu which gives me all these features that Windows offers(and more) or i may wait for Bill Gates to make it alright. Ohhh I just love Microsoft for robbing me like this...
Related topics
Linux and windows
Do you hate Microsoft?
Internet Explorer 7 (beta 2 preview)
MS plans to enter anti-virus market in June
Free Domain and Web Hosting from Microsoft
PS3 Fails
Nintendo Wii(Revolution)
Bill Gates for president
Most hated man in the world - who?
Why people hate Windows?
Google copied Microsoft ...!!!
MySql or MsSql?
why does microsoft word create HTML pages with so many tags?
New email service from Microsoft
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.