FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu or Fedora

inventor
Hi
I can't figure out which one to go with. Anyone want to tell me the similarities and differences between the two. The new version of fedora comes out in 4 days.
The other thing i can try is os x.

Any suggestions?
mehulved
Ubuntu is much better for new comers than fedora. But, that doesn't mean that fedora is that hard to use.
What is good about ubuntu is that it has created a really large community, resources. And the best of all for new users is the simplicity provided by ubuntu. Ubuntu doesn't bundle in too many extra applications, thus keeping away the decisions of choosing between applications to install, initially. Later on you can add as many softwares as you want with a nice GUI package manager.
And gutsy has come out with some nice improvements to make it newbie friendly. I can't say about latest Fedora release cos I haven't used fedora for a long time.
froginabox
I agree with mehulved - if you are new to Linux, Ubuntu is probably a better bet. Its a lot of fun to mess around wtih, and easy to get around.
LostOverThere
The best reason ever to go with Ubuntu - Apt.

Besides, Ubuntu has over 20000 Software items in its Repos. Smile
mehulved
LostOverThere wrote:
The best reason ever to go with Ubuntu - Apt.

Besides, Ubuntu has over 20000 Software items in its Repos. Smile

Yeah. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions
Debian and ubuntu have the largest number of pre-packaged softwares, followed by Suse.
inventor
Thanks guys. Downloading ubuntu now. My university has a linux lab which uses Red Hat enterprise so i want to get used to linux. The reason i thought fedora was the best choice was because it seems to have the same roots as red hat.
mehulved
inventor wrote:
Thanks guys. Downloading ubuntu now. My university has a linux lab which uses Red Hat enterprise so i want to get used to linux. The reason i thought fedora was the best choice was because it seems to have the same roots as red hat.

RHEL is derived from Fedora and both would be really similar to use. But, what you need is to understand what linux is first and ubuntu would do a good job of letting you understand that. Once you understand it properly then you can move on to Fedora.
greatfire
i used to use ubuntu but then changed to fedora and I wish i never used Ubuntu. All it has going for it is is the large amount of software. Fedora was a) much faster b) more customizable and c) absolutely no harder to use.
inventor
greatfire wrote:
i used to use ubuntu but then changed to fedora and I wish i never used Ubuntu. All it has going for it is is the large amount of software. Fedora was a) much faster b) more customizable and c) absolutely no harder to use.

i tried fedora as well but ubuntu finds my audio drivers automatically which fedora fails to do. Very Happy
infobankr
Personally I prefer ubuntu. If I were a big public company I would hire RedHat to help us setup our infrastructure.
emem
Both, fedora and ubuntu are sopposed to be good... I was using Fedora 3 and 4 for some time, and since I switched to ubuntu, I stayed with it. I also hardly believe how many versions did fedora switch in such a small period of time! I think fedora core 4 was out about 2 years ago and tomorrow the version 8 will come out Surprised insane
kansloos
Audio drivers hard to find in fedora? For me was it the other way around. They did improved there audio drivers over time, with Fedora Core 3 no sound at all, Fedora 6 everything worked perfectly. It has it's own graphical apps for almost anything: Installers, web server configurations, firewalls etc. And I haven't even tried the versions after FC6.

Personnally I find Fedora a better Desktop OS, then Ubuntu. Also certain libraries have more logical names. I mean in ubuntu I find packages like libogg0, wth is that zero for anyway? Red Hat also has a large application base and personally I think yum owns apt big time. same applies for fedora's install and update managers vs synaptic. But that's just my humble opinion.
inventor
I'm downloading fedora 8 right now. I'll post as to if it finds all my drivers or not.
mehulved
kansloos wrote:
Personnally I find Fedora a better Desktop OS, then Ubuntu. Also certain libraries have more logical names. I mean in ubuntu I find packages like libogg0, wth is that zero for anyway?
So, multiple versions can be installed.
kansloos wrote:
Red Hat also has a large application base
Check the wikipedia entry I gave earlier. Ubuntu has about 21000+ packages compared to 8000 or so for Fedora.
But, that matters or not depends on your usage pattern.
kansloos
mehulved wrote:
But, that matters or not depends on your usage pattern.

True,
the only problem with Fedora, I had, was that because of Fedora's policy restricted Drivers were not included. And a repository had to be added --> rpm.livna.org. Livna is a repository with common packages for the gui, with this you can easily can get MP3 & Videodrivers up and running.

On the other hand when I once needed a package from Ubuntu's repository, it wasn't there but it was in fedora's. But after a little bit of searching it is never hard to find your rpms & debs.

Still Mehulved has a good point, bigger app database is better, because the bigger the application database, the smaller the chance an app isn't in it.
Ankhanu
I've given Fedora/Red Hat a try several times since about 1998, and I've never really liked it. You made a good choice with Ubuntu, I think.
azuwis
Ubuntu is better, I think. But I use Debian.
LostOverThere
azuwis wrote:

Care to share why? Wink
inventor
I installed fedora 8 and i love it. It only has one problem, the touchpad on my laptop is too sensitive and when i touch the scroll on the touchpad, something wierd keeps happening. If i'm in firefox, it takes me to some random page. anyone know why this might be?
zellfaze
I personally like Ubuntu, mainly because it supports my network card ot of the box.
SFMeatwad
I'd have to say ubuntu, but since I can't get my wireless usb router to work (link) I just uninstalled it and respaced my partition so i dont think im going to try it again. i may just use vmserver or somethin.

-meatwad
kansloos
LostOverThere wrote:
azuwis wrote:

Care to share why? :wink:

Ubuntu is a modified Debian distro.
Debian is a more stable then Ubuntu, but has less features...
This is mostly not a problem at all for servers, but it might be for your fancy desktop
bostko
I like fedora more than ubuntu because it's more supportable for every linux programs there is compiled version for fedora. And I don't like that there isn't root user in ubuntu I thing this is not secure if sombody know your user pass he can get administrative privileges.
emem
go for ubuntu. I've quit windows, and I'm on ubuntu all the time and it is really good.
Emmer-Compascuum
inventor wrote:
It only has one problem, the touchpad on my laptop is too sensitive and when i touch the scroll on the touchpad, something wierd keeps happening. If i'm in firefox, it takes me to some random page. anyone know why this might be?

That'd be a previous or next page I think.

Generally, Ubuntu works better for newbies than Fedora. In my case (laptop), the newer versions of Ubuntu were nightmares though (having crashes/errors all the time, didn't boot properly). On a desktop everything should work better than on my crappy laptop. Ubuntu's got a restriced driver manager, a very easy way to set up wireless connection (although Fedora 8's got it too).
zellfaze
bostko wrote:
I like fedora more than ubuntu because it's more supportable for every linux programs there is compiled version for fedora. And I don't like that there isn't root user in ubuntu I thing this is not secure if sombody know your user pass he can get administrative privileges.

Ubuntu does have a root user, and you can enable logging in as root too. If you dont like the way gksudo works then replace it, because of the way Linux distros are made you can remove or replace anything you want.
{name here}
inventor wrote:
Hi
I can't figure out which one to go with. Anyone want to tell me the similarities and differences between the two. The new version of fedora comes out in 4 days.
The other thing i can try is os x.

Any suggestions?

I say try Ubuntu, and see if you don't like Linux. Once you know if you like Linux, then you can stop cradling yourself and go to Fedora or, Slackware or Debian, and set up your computer in a a more personalised and personal manner while learning how to use the Linux command line. Slackware has a nice manual, and FreeBSD has a good manual as well with a section devoted for newbies. I suggest going with one of those.
blazinggale
Ubuntu is an effort to make linux usable by people other than developers.

Linux is really a simple OS. A lot simpler than Windows. It seems to go the other way because of how we got used to Windows. I just realized this as I started learning how linux worked.

Linux is straight-forward. You do what you want to do. This isn't actually idiot-proof since if you do something wrong. There's no turning back. Windows on the other hand guides you by limiting the stuff you can do. It's rare to accidentally configure your Windows to be unbootable since it automatically does the dirty job for you. Most users don't mind this limitations (they don't even notice) so they still use Windows.

Ubuntu is a really good starting point to learn linux since it has the limitations to protect you from making your system unusable.
zellfaze
If I can suggest a "flavor" of Ubuntu. I would go with Xubuntu, it was made to run on very low end computers so it has some speed.
kansloos
what would you call 'very low end'? cuz although XFCE has a smaller memory footprint. It's doesn't run that much faster...
akshar
no matter which linux distro u r going to use u will find some problems here and there especially when it comes to audio and video.

I use ubuntu 7.10
misterXY
well i haven't tried fedora, but i'd reccomend it. ubuntu was a PAIN. drivers like my wireless card wouldn't work with it, along with my video card and even my other harddrive wouldn't read it. And have you tried to removing ubuntu off your boot? Good Luck. in the end i pretty much have a expensive paperweight [harddrive, 80gb]. Thank you crappy ubuntu for nothing Smile
djclue917
I would personally prefer Ubuntu over Fedora simply because Ubuntu is Debian-based while Fedora is an RPM-based distro. I just hate RPMs and because I find them 'hard to work with'. On the other hand, I find Debian-based distros a little more easier. Most probably this is just because of my lack of experience with RPM-based distros. But that lack of experience was actually brought about by 'my not using of RPM-based distros' because 'I don't understand RPM'. Anyway, I'm sure Fedora and Ubuntu both have their pros and cons. For me, the biggest pro of Ubuntu is its large community/user base and [commercial] support from Canonical.
romaop
I tried out Ubuntu, and all hardware worked just fine. There's the choice to have a Live CD, and there are several types of Ubuntu distributions. I also discovered on the net a free (of course) collection of videos explaining Ubuntu.
It's a new and fresh Linux and it's growing on popularity. Firefox phenomenon can have something similar in Ubuntu. With so many Linux OSs, Ubuntu is becoming the popular one.

FEDORA??? never used - can't comment.
zellfaze
misterXY wrote:
well i haven't tried fedora, but i'd reccomend it. ubuntu was a PAIN. drivers like my wireless card wouldn't work with it, along with my video card and even my other harddrive wouldn't read it. And have you tried to removing ubuntu off your boot? Good Luck. in the end i pretty much have a expensive paperweight [harddrive, 80gb]. Thank you crappy ubuntu for nothing Smile

You realize if you re-partition your harddrive, and then install something over the MBR then that will cover it?
pkir
Like many others in this forum, I also would advise Ubuntu.
I have tried Fedora in the past : it had great features, but was not stable. At the opposite, if you choose Ubuntu, you will perhaps have to wait a bit longer until the last features are available, but this distro (as all Debian based) is very reliable.