FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WIMAX

Tony The Tiger
Can people tell me the WIMAX landscape and horizon? Who is making their hardware compatible with this technology? Is it now expected to be included an internal hardware standard configuration? Is it something that future generations of iPhones might be made to be compatible with. How important a technology is it to learn about right now?
badai
here, from your good friend wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIMAX
Tony The Tiger
badai wrote:
here, from your good friend wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIMAX

Thanks. I had heard sprint was considering WiMAX, but I still don't see anything about Apple. The article does not really tell me whether it is expected to become a standard after a quick perusal, but it is a pretty good article.
badai
eventually, apple will ship its' device (computer, ipod, iphone, etc) with wimax capable (IEEE 802.16) adapter. if you mean "standard" by something people will widely use, then only time will tell.
Tony The Tiger
badai wrote:
eventually, apple will ship its' device (computer, ipod, iphone, etc) with wimax capable (IEEE 802.16) adapter. if you mean "standard" by something people will widely use, then only time will tell.

I see sprint just abandoned some WIMAX plan. What is that all about?
badai
where i live, sprint is a highway. u got to be more specific.
Tony The Tiger
I was talking about this story that appeared last week in the Wall Street Journal: http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2007/11/09/wimax-suffers-setback-blade-binge-other-news/
ganesh
WiMAX is an upcoming standard which will soon find lot of takers in my opinion.

The problem with Wi-Fi is the very bad QoS and also range is pretty limited. WiMAX promises to fix all that, and what more, it has the backing of Intel too! That is definitely sounding good for the upcoming standard.

Sprint hasn't back tracked on the WiMAX scheme. On the contrary, it is planning a spin-off of the WiMAX business so that it can get more capital and be developed properly. I have been an active follower of this on some tech blogs (GigaOM, to be more particular), and this is what I have been led to understand..
Tony The Tiger
ganesh wrote:
WiMAX. . .has the backing of Intel too! That is definitely sounding good for the upcoming standard.

Sprint hasn't back tracked on the WiMAX scheme. On the contrary, it is planning a spin-off of the WiMAX business so that it can get more capital and be developed properly.

On the one hand you are saying it is good to have a big name company behind the project and on the other you are saying it is good if a big name company spins off the business. As a Tiger it sounds like I am chasing my tail for an explanation.