FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Helicobacter Pylori

annapurnatraders
i have been tested positive for this virus.
And under medication for a week
felt better for sometime, will it come afterwards, Is it completely out of my body?
i am so confused.

XX
wumingsden
annapurnatraders wrote:
felt better for sometime, will it come afterwards, Is it completely out of my body?
i am so confused.

XX

My test results came through the door yesterday. They were negative. I was tested because I have reflux disease, which I was diagnosed with at 7yrs old (10 years ago), and this can be caused by h.pylori. Only when I got another new consultant was I tested for this bug though.

How was you tested? I myself had a urea test (drank orange juice then blown into a test, then 30minutes later drink more orange juice with urea powder in then I blew into a bag).

The treatment varies. At the most its a two week course of two antibiotics, and usually an anti-reflux drug (to decrease the amount of acid made). What course of tablets have you been put on? The antibiotics are usually something like augumentin, cefaclor, etc, etc ... two the the wide-range antibiotics is prescribed (one course will not be effective). Anti-reflux meds is usually omeprazole.

After the course h.pylori will be completely gone, so no need for panic.

Wumingsden.
annapurnatraders
i got second tested, but haven't got the result yet.
First time they gave me CO2 to drink and then blow it balloon. Its kinda breath test.

thanks anyway
XXX
azohoor
H pylori is a bacteria...

There is a blood test, but it'll be positive even after treated. So it can't be used to make sure you've been sufficiently treated after the antibiotic/PPI treatment. That's why you had to do the breath test (it looks for the stuff the bacteria is making).

I'd suggest you stick with the PPI for a while even after testing negative to allow any ulcerations that had started to heal...
redace
Many people have helicopter inside stomach and it´s not a virus but bacteria. The worst thing I know can happen is getting ulcers, but this can happen even if you don't have this bacteria. And yes it can come back, because it's bacteria:)

annapurnatraders wrote:
i am so confused.

XX
driftingfe3s
It could potentially come back if not all of it is killed by the medication. They probably gave you antibiotics of some sort, be sure to take them as told and take them all. Do not stop once symptoms go away because there may be small amounts of the bacteria left in your stomach, so be sure to FINISH your medicine unless your doctor prescribes you something else and tells you to stop using it.
magnustoday
An initial attempt at eradicating H. pylori fails in as many as 20 percent of patients. For patients failing one course of H. pylori treatment, we suggest either an alternate regimen using a different combination of medications, or preferably quadruple therapy consisting of a PPI twice daily and bismuth-based triple therapy (Pepto Bismol 2 tablets, tetracycline 500 mg, and high dose metronidazole 500 mg all four times daily or three combination bismuth subcitrate, metronidazole tetracycline capsules four times daily) preferably given with meals and an evening snack for 14 days.

For those failing two attempts at treatment, it is especially important to reinforce compliance with medications. Culture with antibiotic sensitivity testing can be done to guide subsequent treatments but generally we forgo culture in favor of "rescue" therapy. We suggest levofloxacin (250 mg), amoxicillin (1 gm) and a PPI each given twice daily for two weeks. Alternative dosing regimens have also been suggested.
gandalfthegrey
Heliobacter Pylori is very scary. I had a family member who got it after eating contaminated food at a public event. They were sick on and off for five years before fully healing.