FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Emergency" in Pakistan :(

indianinworld
General Pervez Mushrraf has declared the state of emergency in Pakistan on Saturday Night, Pakistan Standard Time. The emergency declaration was in direct defiance of repeated calls this week from senior American officials, including Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, not to do so.
European Union has condemned the Emergency in Pakistan. US has said that this is regrettable. India felt sorry for the situation and the hard times Pakistan is undergoing and believed that the Situation would improve.

As soon as the Emergency was declared, Telephone lines were blocked and Internet were blocked across Pakistan. Higher Judicial officials were arrested.

Police surrounded the Supreme Court Building and The justices were ordered to sign a “provisional constitutional order". Confirmed reports suggest that atleast 6 judges rejected the Order. However there were also reports that over 6 judges rejected.

For more news, Please visit - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/03/world/asia/04pakistan.html?_r=1&bl=&ei=5087&en=ac160335a6cd7005&ex=1194235200&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1194116624-Exx4RAmtBGk57MahpX18QQ&oref=slogin

Keep Smiling....
indianinworld
Sensitive areas and most of the important places were flooded with Forces across Pakistan.
LumberJack
Well, I hope everything is going to come out ok there. None of the western nations have the resources to help out in the short term if things go to hell.
coolclay
I must be missing an important piece here. Even after reading this post and the article, I still don't understand what emergency is taking place, and why a state of emergency was declared.
ThePolemistis
coolclay wrote:
I must be missing an important piece here. Even after reading this post and the article, I still don't understand what emergency is taking place, and why a state of emergency was declared.

Basically a stupid Dictator still wants to remain in power. The supreme court was reviewing whether his presidential victory was legit, and elections for PM were to take place too.
coolclay
Ok thats what I kind of thought, but it didn't make much sense to me. What I don't understand is why if so many individuals realize this is so absolutely wrong, why do they still support him. Like why would the individuals in the military do what he says, when its obvious he is wrong. I just don't understand why anyone with any brains would support someone who is essentially a dictator.
ThePolemistis
coolclay wrote:
Ok thats what I kind of thought, but it didn't make much sense to me. What I don't understand is why if so many individuals realize this is so absolutely wrong, why do they still support him. Like why would the individuals in the military do what he says, when its obvious he is wrong. I just don't understand why anyone with any brains would support someone who is essentially a dictator.

No one supports him. The civilian people are against him. Its only because he is the head of army that the military men do what he says. They follow his orders, and ask quetsions later. As Tennyson (i think) said in one of his poem, "Theirs is not to reason why, theres is but to do and die."

Also, he has put his own favourite people as high posts in the army.
ocalhoun
ThePolemistis wrote:

Also, he has put his own favourite people as high posts in the army.

Which is rule #1 in the dictator's handbook.
Rule #2 is to always have trusty agents watching those favorite people, to make sure they stay in line, and to eliminate them if they don't.
jwellsy
The guy can't be all bad, he's had all the lawyers arrested.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/06/world/asia/06pakistan.html?ref=asia
burqe
I have one question. Every one knows that he is not an elected head of state. He seized power in 1998, he never allowed people to decide if they want him to remain head of state or not, most of the people in pakistan dislike him, most of the political parties are against him, juditury, media, journalists, every one is annoyed with his behaviors, he is forcing his personal rule over every one, country is going in poor economic conditions and standard of living is falling, class difference increasing, business men increasing margins resulting in increase in costs and no improvements for salaried people, corruption on it's peak, he has done so much wrong to the country and the worls as well as US sees and are quite.

Only since he is helping against US enemies in Pakistan, that is why US is supporting him. US can have the same favour from an elected resonable government too. But of course, this is the secondary issue. The primary thing is that people in pakistan are in pain but still do nothing. So let them live so.
desertwind
burqe wrote:
I have one question. Every one knows that he is not an elected head of state. He seized power in 1998, he never allowed people to decide if they want him to remain head of state or not, most of the people in pakistan dislike him, most of the political parties are against him, juditury, media, journalists, every one is annoyed with his behaviors, he is forcing his personal rule over every one, country is going in poor economic conditions and standard of living is falling, class difference increasing, business men increasing margins resulting in increase in costs and no improvements for salaried people, corruption on it's peak, he has done so much wrong to the country and the worls as well as US sees and are quite.

Only since he is helping against US enemies in Pakistan, that is why US is supporting him. US can have the same favour from an elected resonable government too. But of course, this is the secondary issue. The primary thing is that people in pakistan are in pain but still do nothing. So let them live so.

Iraq, Afghan...Pak... History always repeats for USoA.
LumberJack
Things just keep on getting worse, and worse. Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkey, Pakistan, Israel, Palestine, Darfur, Tibet, the entire Eastern Hemisphere is just unstable as hell.

Listen to this garbage, I wonder if our lawyers would have the courage to fight the government like they are in Pakistan.

"I'm sure it will end in two to three weeks as President Pervez Musharraf is aware of the consequences of long emergency rule," Pakistan Muslim League president Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain is quoted as saying in the English-language paper's Wednesday edition.

Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, right, is shown with Pakistani Information Minister Mohammed Ali Durrani in July 2007. Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, right, is shown with Pakistani Information Minister Mohammed Ali Durrani in July 2007.
(Associated Press/B.K. Bangash)

"Nobody is in favour of emergency. It was promulgated reluctantly by the chief of the army staff."

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/11/07/pakistan-hussain.html?ref=rss
achowles
Seems to me to be a last desperate act to cling on to power. Something that is only going to make extremists more popular.

Oh well, I hope that there aren't any severe repercussions to this, but I think that there's bound to be some fallout unfortunately.
jcnet
indianinworld wrote:
General Pervez Mushrraf has declared the state of emergency in Pakistan on Saturday Night, Pakistan Standard Time. The emergency declaration was in direct defiance of repeated calls this week from senior American officials, including Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, not to do so.
European Union has condemned the Emergency in Pakistan. US has said that this is regrettable. India felt sorry for the situation and the hard times Pakistan is undergoing and believed that the Situation would improve.

As soon as the Emergency was declared, Telephone lines were blocked and Internet were blocked across Pakistan. Higher Judicial officials were arrested.

Police surrounded the Supreme Court Building and The justices were ordered to sign a “provisional constitutional order". Confirmed reports suggest that atleast 6 judges rejected the Order. However there were also reports that over 6 judges rejected.

For more news, Please visit - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/03/world/asia/04pakistan.html?_r=1&bl=&ei=5087&en=ac160335a6cd7005&ex=1194235200&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1194116624-Exx4RAmtBGk57MahpX18QQ&oref=slogin

Keep Smiling....

Even internet , TV stations and mobiles were brought down........
Once India had the same, but it was not this much....
Its too bad..!!
theem
My mate was in Islamabad the day it happend ...

no internet or phone lines were blocked ...

yep but all the private news channels were blocked ...
this action from him (Pervaiz Musharaf) was just to protect his posts..

but he doesn't know that nothing is forever .. Idea
ocalhoun
achowles wrote:
Seems to me to be a last desperate act to cling on to power. Something that is only going to make extremists more popular.

Oh well, I hope that there aren't any severe repercussions to this, but I think that there's bound to be some fallout unfortunately.

And since the current regime is friendly to the USA, when the revolution comes, and it topples (which is sure to happen sooner or later under this kind of behavior), the new leaders will probably hate the USA. Even if they don't have any other reason to, they probably will just because the USA was a friend of the old regime.

(This ties back into another thread where I was pointing out why the USA might want to make friends with India)
burqe
LumberJack wrote:
Things just keep on getting worse, and worse. Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkey, Pakistan, Israel, Palestine, Darfur, Tibet, the entire Eastern Hemisphere is just unstable as hell.

Listen to this garbage, I wonder if our lawyers would have the courage to fight the government like they are in Pakistan.

"I'm sure it will end in two to three weeks as President Pervez Musharraf is aware of the consequences of long emergency rule," Pakistan Muslim League president Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain is quoted as saying in the English-language paper's Wednesday edition.

Even if it is a two day emergency, it is a stupid way to remove the people who you think are dangerous not for your country but for your control and power. The one man show is the stupid thing. Even now if they lift it, they have changed the juditiary, they have allowed military courts to treat any one whenever they want and they have put the army above any court accept the military court. No one can speak against them even if they kill 100s without any reason. No news paper or TV can show any thing true if it goes against them. This is a pure fudal age government with no democracy, law and human rights and still the US and the rest of the world supporting him with just a few words of muted concerns.

The issue that supreme court break out a conflict with musharraf was that many people were picked from thier homes and taken to unknown places and no one knows after that what was happened to them. The court was forcing the government and army to release such people as most of them would be innocent( I wonder what was they charged for as no charge was ever put forward and no evidence either).
LumberJack
The commonwealth has threatened to kick out Pakistan. Strong words, unfortunately, I don't think anyone cares.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071113.PAKISTANSIDE13/TPStory/TPInternational/Asia/

LONDON -- The Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group threatened yesterday to suspend Pakistan's Commonwealth membership in 10 days if steps are not taken to end the state of emergency.

The decision came after a day of talks involving representatives of nine of the 53 member countries, including Canada, in central London. It comes after the Nov. 3 state of emergency declared by Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf and the subsequent crackdown on opposition.

The action group demanded General Musharraf's resignation as army chief; the immediate release of political party leaders, journalists and other activists who have been detained; and the lifting of media restrictions.
indianinworld
Atlast - Benazir freed again from the house arrest. Pakistan freed opposition leader Benazir Bhutto from house arrest on Friday shortly before a top U.S. diplomat was to visit.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/071116/137/6nbjn.html
indianinworld
theem wrote:
My mate was in Islamabad the day it happend ...

no internet or phone lines were blocked ...

yep but all the private news channels were blocked ...
this action from him (Pervaiz Musharaf) was just to protect his posts..

but he doesn't know that nothing is forever .. Idea

They would have blocked the external traffic.....