FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Exam fever...

vineeth
I had my first sessional exam of my M.Sc. course for last few days. I was unable to be here... Even now, at the age of 25 and in a post graduate program, exams means tension... Smile
Utopia GFR
I agree, exam means tension... well, the best way to deal with that matter is managing your sleep (do not lack that important factor) and being organized in everything you studied for.

Procrastination is not really an advisable thing do to when you have to cope with huge matters (the never-ending effect can really be a pain leading up to nervous breakdowns or pure demotivation).

Now, regarding the age of 25 and still studying, well, I think there's basically no age at all in being at university or any other higher education (I started my studies in mass media communication at 28 and i know a lot of 30 + people who are at university).

So, don't worry and take it easy!

Good luck Smile
nilsmo
Try learning stuff when you're supposed to learn it, not right before the exam. Also review as you go. Here should be your schedule (you can modify this schedule depending on how topics are introduced):

Day) Event
1) Topic A is introduced
1) Learn topic A
2) Topic B is introduced
2) Learn topic B
2) Quickly look over notes from previous topics
3) Topic C is introduced
3) Learn topic C
3) Quickly look over notes from previous topics, do something active with them (like exercises)
4) Topic D is introduced
4) Learn topic D
4) Quickly look over notes from previous topics
5) Topic E is introduced
5) Learn topic E
5) Quickly look over notes from previous topics, do something active with them (like exercises)... if you've forgotten anything re-learn it.. When you do these looking over your notes, you should be covering different things each time, so by exams you should have covered everything a few times.
etc.
n-1) Quickly look over notes from previous topics, do some quick studying if needed (should NOT be needed)
n) Day of exam... pass it easily.. you know this stuff

That's just a really balanced schedule and it doesn't take a lot of time each day. When others are studying frantically, you'll be calm.

This is what people often do:
Day) Event
1) Topic A is introduced
2) Topic B is introduced
3) Topic C is introduced
n-5) Can't remember topic A! Study Study! Better study now, not later.
n-4) Study! Study!
n-3) Study! Study! Nervousness....
n-2) Studying....
n-1) Studying... I hope I realy know this
n) Day of exam... you forget some things... you might do OK, you might not.. you're tired
Jaan
Interesting schedule. Whatever floats your boat!
ashish2005
Exams always mean tension no matter what age we are. I'm 21 and I am doing my bachelors. We have about 4 exams in 6 months and during the exam time I'm so tensed, especially during the last exam. This time my university exams of my 4th semester was postponed 3 months because of the problems in my country and I've been worrying for the 2 months now. Will be relieved after I finish my exams.
isledepoba
I hate exams. Especially when my teachers give me 5 in one day...
then the next day we start testing for the 2nd 9 weeks...it stinks a ton
missdixy
Eeek, props to you. I always thought I'd want to go on and get a P.H.D. but after one quarter of being in college....I decided that's probably not something I'm going to be able to handle. So, my respect to you.
Donutey
Exams this semester are not that great for me, my chem and math exams are scheduled at the same time. I can't take the alternate chem exam because I have a class then, so I get to wake up on 5:20am on a Friday to take the math exam at 6:45. The one thing that offsets it is that I'm usually adrenaline pumped when I take an exam so I wake up pretty fast.
hofodomo01
i've actually had pretty light amounts of exams. the school year here is divided up into 3 sections (fall, winter, spring), and there are a total of 3 exams each quarter for each class.

there's usually nothing special about the exams, and the earliest one i've ever has was at 8am, so not too bad...
scotty
I have a three week exam period for 4 exams so my period is pretty relaxed. I had my first one today, macroeconomics and it was quite manageable. I still have a lot of studying to do though.
Arnie
During the course I always work hard, but when the exam preparation days arrive I usually postpone most reviewing until the evening before the big day. That's when the tension hits but I think it works out positively for me.

Did that for today's molecular cell biology exam too, and I must say it went quite well. This week I had one other exam (biochemistry) so that's 2 in a week. But I already had 3 exams for organic chemistry and one for spectroscopy, divided quite evenly over the last 2 months. So I guess the density is always different.
Davidgr1200
It is good that exams mean tension. If they didn't then you would not prepare as well. Being worried means that chemicals are running through your veins causing you to be more alert and to pay more attention. This should help you in preparing for your exam. The important thing is not to be too tensed up so that you freeze. A little anxiety, worry or tension is good for you in the short term. We are made that way. problems appear when this drags out too long or if the anxiety becoems overwhelming. Keep things in perspective.
vineeth
nilsmo wrote:
Try learning stuff when you're supposed to learn it, not right before the exam. Also review as you go. Here should be your schedule (you can modify this schedule depending on how topics are introduced):

Day) Event
1) Topic A is introduced
1) Learn topic A
2) Topic B is introduced
2) Learn topic B
2) Quickly look over notes from previous topics
3) Topic C is introduced
3) Learn topic C
3) Quickly look over notes from previous topics, do something active with them (like exercises)
4) Topic D is introduced
4) Learn topic D
4) Quickly look over notes from previous topics
5) Topic E is introduced
5) Learn topic E
5) Quickly look over notes from previous topics, do something active with them (like exercises)... if you've forgotten anything re-learn it.. When you do these looking over your notes, you should be covering different things each time, so by exams you should have covered everything a few times.
etc.
n-1) Quickly look over notes from previous topics, do some quick studying if needed (should NOT be needed)
n) Day of exam... pass it easily.. you know this stuff

That's just a really balanced schedule and it doesn't take a lot of time each day. When others are studying frantically, you'll be calm.

This is what people often do:
Day) Event
1) Topic A is introduced
2) Topic B is introduced
3) Topic C is introduced
n-5) Can't remember topic A! Study Study! Better study now, not later.
n-4) Study! Study!
n-3) Study! Study! Nervousness....
n-2) Studying....
n-1) Studying... I hope I realy know this
n) Day of exam... you forget some things... you might do OK, you might not.. you're tired

This is actually a good schedule... I used to spend time, roaming around, waiting for the next exam to start studies... When it comes, gone... Nothing in mind.... Let me try this method... Thanks.
chemical-music
Study is a good thing guys !
destiny
Exams are good and bad at the same time.
Good because i want to test my limit to sit down and memorse all the equations, formulas and facts.
BAD BEACAUSE I HAVE NO LIFE!!!^^

I have just finished my O levels(Cambridge).
To prepare for Olevels, I had a Preliminary Examinations in School.I took about a month to prepare for the prelims. After which my school had preparatory examinations to 'maintian' our rigor for olvls.(lol)
For the preparatory exams, i have to sit for papers non-stop(almost) from 7plus to 4(plus), by the time i reached home, i was already a living soul in a dead man's body.
My subject combinations are Biology,Chemistry,Physics,Emath,Amath,English,Chinese, Social Studies and Elective Geography. To get almost everything A1 is like literally murdering myself my my own gun.
After what like seems like 3-4 months of no television, computer,internet because days were spent doing other exam papers from top schools island wide ,finally came Olvls!!(i CANNOT believe i was embracing it..)Thank goodness...OLVLs is OVER..lol..so just hang in there next time when it comes to exams..once its over, you will feel weightless.
PS: Testing your limit is good because it prepares you to take on challenges hahass..
ankitdatashn
Tension in exams is not a matter of age(as you mention you are of 25) but exams at any age means tension. M.Sc might be a tough subject I guess, is that master of science??, biology, physics and chemistry is all comes to my mind when I think of science.

You must be in tension but remember always this adage: Don't worry be happy, after all this is mantra of life!
airh3ad
If exams are really making you ill, worried, or depressed, don't hide your feelings. Talk to someone about it. In some cultures, people think it is wrong to share their feelings and worries with others. But this is the only way to get help is prayers...get relax and be patient exam is a thing to be serius of it. the time of exams is very stressful and difficult.

I read some book about advise in making exam here :

HOW TO GET THROUGH EXAMS
Here are 10 top tips by educational psychologists:

Get help: ask a teacher or tutor about how to revise, and exam skills - how to work when you are in an exam.
Take short rests during your time of work and revision. If your mind is tired, it will not remember well.
Plan your work: revise at times when you know you will work at your best.
Stay healthy: get enough sleep, eat sensibly.
Exercise: you need exercise to work well. Walk, run, play sport - whatever you enjoy.
Be positive: stop thinking about the future and failing.
Do your best: no-one can do more than this.
Be alert: if you feel ill, talk to someone about your worries.
But don't be too relaxed! Some stress over exams makes you work hard for them.
Be sensible: if it upsets you to talk to your friends about an exam when it is finished, don't do it! In fact, don't even think about the exam you have finished. What is done is done. You cannot change what you have written!

To this advice, we would add:

If you are studying in the evening, don't go straight to bed afterwards. Your mind will still be 'going round and round' - thinking too much. Do something else, maybe walk or get exercise. Choose something that will relax you, and make you think of other things.

You do not need to face exams alone. God can help you. Search for Him. He can be a friend to you
Seiji
This year our exams will be the worse. We have them after our holiday break instead of before them. Now, I might even have to study during my break which would be hard due to fact its going to be during Christmas time.
ForceRun
I just finshed up my finals for this winter semester, no big deal as my classes were easy and I was able to keep up with them. Even if I'm total unprepared for a test I don't stress it much and just move on, cuz what can you really do after all.
Vladalf
In Romania there are these national exams, some very hard exams that everybody in the country recieves in the same day. It's allot of presure and many can't stand it and just forget. I try to stay calm when i have tests and think logic.

nilsmo wrote:

That's the way i learn too. My colegues from school have those problems and get very tired and forget at the easiest of exams.
FFXclan
vineeth wrote:
I had my first sessional exam of my M.Sc. course for last few days. I was unable to be here... Even now, at the age of 25 and in a post graduate program, exams means tension... Smile

Cool me too. Got my first exams for M.Sc strategic management good luck on your test
Indyan
Well my exams ended today : [ 1st sem, Comp Engg]
Helios
I've always seen exams as a challenge. It's a good thing. It's also a good indicator - when you fail at some subject, at least you know what to do.
theem
Exam Fever for has ended ...

waiting for my results .. Arrow
best of luck to me .. Idea
Thumpercats
My general rule of thumb is that if you don't know it by the day before the exam, you wont be able to learn it. You are better off getting a good night's sleep than to cram the last night and be exhausted while taking the exam. My tip is to study in shifts days before you take an exam.