FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

browser redirects 404 errors

woodenbrick
My browser has recently started redirecting all 404 errors onto searchtons.com. I'm just finding it a tad irritating because I can't simply click back anymore, so does anyone know how to change this back to normal? I'm using firefox but the same thing happens in IE so I guess it's not a browser issue.
SgtGarcia
Its probably some sort of ad/spyware. You can try to remove it using a spyware removal tool like on of these:
AVG Anti-Spyware
Spybot S&D
Spyware Doctor

Please keep us updated on the problem
Ceroianz
try open command prompt: start-->run--type "CMD"--> try ping any website Exmpl "ping www.google.com"...
if have request timeout, you internet have the problems or incorrect DHCP or wrong DNS server..
if have reply but still error 404 it's mean, your computer attacked by spyware or adware.....
SgtGarcia
Ceroianz wrote:
try open command prompt: start-->run--type "CMD"--> try ping any website Exmpl "ping www.google.com"...
if have request timeout, you internet have the problems or incorrect DHCP or wrong DNS server..
if have reply but still error 404 it's mean, your computer attacked by spyware or adware.....
I think his problem isnt that he can't reach any sites, the problem is that when a site gives a 404 it gets redirect to some stupid site
woodenbrick
did a scan with spybot and adaware, got cookies and a data miner, but nothing on the 404 hijack.
SgtGarcia
Hmm, is your computer directly connected to the internet? Or via some other computer/gateway/proxyserver?
woodenbrick
It's connected to the guy in the flat above ours, through a LAN.
SgtGarcia
woodenbrick wrote:
It's connected to the guy in the flat above ours, through a LAN.
Okay, it is possible that his computer is infected with spy or adware and that it replaces your 404 errors. You could ask the guy if he has the same problems, that could explain some things
woodenbrick
Ok, I'll ask him about it when I see him, thanks for your help.