FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

uploading files through web browser

bluffmango
i wanted to know if it is possible to upload my files into my website directories without using an ftp client but simply by accessing my folders through the internet explorer ...is it possible to do so ,,,if yess plz tell me how ...?? my domain is bluffmango.com
Val
Yes you can, with your cpanel : clic on "File Manager".
Devil
u can use the ftp url in ur webbrowser , but it will be very slow transfers
bluffmango
but one cant transfer the whole folder at once using the Cpanel ,isnt it???
Bondings
bluffmango wrote:

No, but you can make a zip of it and then unzip it in cpanel.
bluffmango
Bondings wrote:
bluffmango wrote:

how can i do that bondings, u mean to say i can zip up a folder i want to upload and then upload zip file through Cpanel and then when i have uploaded the file , i can unzip the file and it will become a folder , if it is possible plzz tell me the detail how would i unzip the file while it residing in my webspace and convert it into a folder.....reply soon
bluffmango
TO PUT it VERY VERY SIMPLY, my university is not alllowing ftp access to website either by software or by web browser i can only log into Cpanel,,,,, the thing thats giving me a head ache is i have to transfer 3000 files contained in different folders , and till now i have no knowledge how to do it , therez no other fast internet connection i have access to to transfer my files......how can i do it i know i can upload 12 files simultaneously using Cpanel but thats gonna take ages for 3000 files............................plz plz help me
orno
unzipping with cpanel:

(taken from HERE and adapted. i havent tried it myself so dont blame me if it doesnt work)
Code:
- To make life much easier, Open CPanel for your domain, and click on File manager.
- Then you will be presented with your server.
- Go to the folder you wish to upload into.
- Click on upload file, and select the zipped file you wish to upload.
- You should find uploading much faster as it is only dealing with one file.
- Once uploaded you should see the zip file on screen. if not, refresh the page.
- Click on the text name of the zipped file and you will see on your right a list including 'Extract folder contents'.
- On clicking this, a new window will open and quickly you will see the file unpack in seconds.
- As file and folder permissions were already set in the zip they should be transferred to the items on your server.

If it works, perhaps a mod can make a tutorial out of this.
Bondings
orno wrote:
unzipping with cpanel:

(taken from HERE and adapted. i havent tried it myself so dont blame me if it doesnt work)
Code:
- To make life much easier, Open CPanel for your domain, and click on File manager.
- Then you will be presented with your server.
- Go to the folder you wish to upload into.
- Click on upload file, and select the zipped file you wish to upload.
- You should find uploading much faster as it is only dealing with one file.
- Once uploaded you should see the zip file on screen. if not, refresh the page.
- Click on the text name of the zipped file and you will see on your right a list including 'Extract folder contents'.
- On clicking this, a new window will open and quickly you will see the file unpack in seconds.
- As file and folder permissions were already set in the zip they should be transferred to the items on your server.

If it works, perhaps a mod can make a tutorial out of this.

This works for sure. Just click on the zip file and then on extract and it will work.
Dragonfly
Bondings wrote:
bluffmango wrote:

Hi Admin, I'm trying to upload postnuke as zip file and failed many times. Now I've tried again in gzip/tar and failed again... When I tried smaller zip file size like 200KB it seems to work...

What could be the problem?

Thank you in advance..
Sunny
Why are u trying to upload post nuke? Cpanal has fantastico means many many preinstalled scripts and post nuke is one of them. You can install these scripts in just 1 mouse click.

Follow following steps to install php nuke

1)login to cpanel
2)click fantastico at bottom
3)locate post nuke on left side and click it
4)click on "new installation" on right side

Anyway if you wish to upload a folder or mutiple files, its recommended to use a ftp client like filzilla or one can even try using the explorer ftp by using below addy

ftp://username:password@subdomain.frihost.net/public_html/

replace username, password and subdomain with ur info. you can copy and paste folders or files there.

---------------------
Sunny
Dragonfly
sunny wrote:
Why are u trying to upload post nuke? Cpanal has fantastico means many many preinstalled scripts and post nuke is one of them. You can install these scripts in just 1 mouse click.

Follow following steps to install php nuke

1)login to cpanel
2)click fantastico at bottom
3)locate post nuke on left side and click it
4)click on "new installation" on right side

Anyway if you wish to upload a folder or mutiple files, its recommended to use a ftp client like filzilla or one can even try using the explorer ftp by using below addy

ftp://username:password@subdomain.frihost.net/public_html/

replace username, password and subdomain with ur info. you can copy and paste folders or files there.

---------------------
Sunny

Hm, that isn't the latest version 0.76... Thanks for the guide but I know those....

Folder uploads using ftp clients take a long time... if cpanel upload works its very convenient..
Daniel15
Quote:
Folder uploads using ftp clients take a long time

It might take a long time, but it's reliable. HTTP was never made to send files, so sometimes uploading files using cPanel won't work well (whereas FTP was made with sending files in mind)
Val
You can also use or install this script to upload files : http://www.net2ftp.com
zrule
there are tons of file manager scripts in hotscripts.com
ok. there is an alternative using online webftp. but, you should change your password after using this kind of service. Wink
web2ftp.com