FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Crysis demo

datter
What's the verdict on this, anyone tried it? Looks like it might be promising but will only run at low settings on my aging machine so I'm missing out on a lot of the point of it... meaning eye candy. That said I'm not sure eye candy is worth the upgrade anyway, since it's game play I care about and that seems to be standard fair in this demo. It's more like Far Cry 2008 than anything from what I can tell.
datter
hmm, I'm rather surprised no one has picked up on this... maybe I missed a better thread?
Nutteloos
I don't think you did... perhaps not many people have a PC capable of running it?

Although in my opinion it's not that bad... I mean, the laptop my Uni got me can run it. On the poorest quality, that is.

Crysis isn't really my type of game, but it struck me as quite good. A little short, but still good. I did find it a shame that there was hardly any use for Strength/Speed modes... at least, not for me. I just kept switching between Armor/Cloak.
datter
I'm running it a mostly meduim settings, though at a resolution of 960x600... which sucks. Plays pretty well and that's on a P2.4ghz with 1.5gb ram and an nvidia 7600gs. I could really go for a faster system.
Alie
I haven't seen this game yet - my PC is really old as yours Wink But heared a lot about this game from friends. High level graphics and realistic physics require high-end hardware, but overall feeling after playing is very good. Can be seen few not serious lags and swoping while playing, but it's probably because of unfinished demo version. Final version would be more comfortable...
At last every object in the game can be destroyed! Twisted Evil
Packfan104L4
Just bought a new comp last week, so I'll probably give this demo a go. It's definately not a high end comp (only a 256 MB GeForce graphics card) but it can probably work.
puRe
Its wierd for me as I can run most new games like I have played through portal but my comp can't manage the demo on anything higher than low :S
photon
Sadly, my system is too ancient for it Sad but from what ive heard its pretty good. and yea, its still a BETA> so there are the obvious bugs and hickups here and there. But overall its looking very promising. I still won't be able to play it, cause can't upgrade my system now Sad i'll have to wait for a year i guess
Alie
Just in case, maybe anybody knows if video card HIS Radeon 9600 XT would be enough for playing in DirectX 10? I'm planning to buy a new computer in few weeks, but high end video cards like Radeon 2900 XT or GeForce 8800 GTX/Ultra are too much expensive for now...
exarkun
It is supposed to run at a high computer specs by the company so that when it is released by 2008, it won't be outdated. Damn and I'll have to change a new computer for it. It is a nice game with nice physics. I mean, just watch the trailer and you will know how much effort they put into making the explosion of a vehicle, flowing of water, etc.
Arnie
This is absolutely not my kind of game, but I'm amazed by the hardware requirements. With the highest settings even a 8800GTX gets only 11.2 fps. With 1280x1024, no AA, other settings max. it's still 22.3fps. Benchmarks

Compare to UT3 at 1920x1200 with 8x AF, where a 8800GTX hits 93 fps.
Packfan104L4
Alie wrote:
Just in case, maybe anybody knows if video card HIS Radeon 9600 XT would be enough for playing in DirectX 10? I'm planning to buy a new computer in few weeks, but high end video cards like Radeon 2900 XT or GeForce 8800 GTX/Ultra are too much expensive for now...

Just get the GeForce 8600 GT. That's what's getting put into my new computer.
infobankr
I should know this... what is fps? Frames per second? Does that have a baseline resolution?
ZeroXD
Arnie wrote:

This is absolutely not my kind of game, but I'm amazed by the hardware requirements. With the highest settings even a 8800GTX gets only 11.2 fps. With 1280x1024, no AA, other settings max. it's still 22.3fps. Benchmarks

Compare to UT3 at 1920x1200 with 8x AF, where a 8800GTX hits 93 fps.

Yea this game is seriously crazy on the requirements. I'm pretty sure nVidia pushed the Crysis team to develop such a demanding engine because there aren't many demanding games that would require those top end video cards as of now. Crysis will usher in a whole new age of very expensive video cards that people will actually buy so they can get higher FPS rates on Crysis.

Packfan104L4 wrote:
Alie wrote:

Just get the GeForce 8600 GT. That's what's getting put into my new computer.

Although the Geforce 8600 GT isn't a particularly bad card, it is definitely not the card you want to get if you plan on playing any high end games that are new or going to come out. Although the 8600 touts Direct X 10 compatibility, it CANNOT play any Direct X 10 games with decent frame rates! The 8600 fairs decently in Direct X 9 games, but the only reason to get the 8600 GTS is if you care about HD playback and HDCP support more than playing games.

Wait for the 8800 GT to drop in price, or wait for the 256 MB version later this month if you are even thinking of playing Crysis remotely seriously.
Nutteloos
Alie wrote:
At last every object in the game can be destroyed! Twisted Evil

I have to admit I got quite scared when I was being shot at and suddenly the tree behind me fell almost directly onto my head, just a few inches maybe. Had that happen twice in the short demo so perhaps the trees are a little too vulnerable. But still, that was quite awesome.
datter
I just bought a new system a couple of days ago, not necessarily for Crysis... but for gaming into the future in general.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz 8MB
2gb OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066mhz RAM
Two BFG 8800GT OC 512MB video cards running in SLI
Two Western Digital Raptors (150Gb 10000Rpm)
etc
etc

Sure beats what I have now.
ryandeboer
I have a geforce 7900 card and it runs pretty poorly. Borderline 20fps. Its a bit annoying the only card you can really have to play this game well is an 8800. At least all the settings work with my card, so I can preview what the game might look like.

All the 8800 GT cards are sold out here. Plus they are around $450 AU. I read that these cards would be around $200 US.

According to tweaktown [1], you get around 30fps with an average 8800 card (eg the GTS that is around $600 AU).

Do you think its worth buying an 8800 card just to get 30fps, when maybe the next game will drop below 20fps again? Maybe I'll just put up with slow Crysis until the next series of cards...

[1] http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1211