FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Re-organise forums

simplyw00x
Perhaps grouping associated forums into single forums and then making the incorporated forums sub-forums, e.g.

Computer Problems & Support + Computer software/hardware + Tutorials = Computing (subforums support and tutorials, with the main forum general computer discussion)

Site Advertisement and SEO + Scripting + Design Tips + Advertise Your Website = Web Design (subforums scripting help, tutorials, site gallery, seo and advertising)

Just a suggestion as there seems to be a lot of overlap from forum to forum.

Also, on a seperate note, how about making polls moderator-approved only? At present, the only threads that use them seem to be pretty worthless 'what's your favourite x?' threads with little or no content.
tidruG
Well, Bondings too is thinking about re-orginzation I think...

However, making polls mod-approved isn't a good idea. I think we should allow that much discretion to the posters. And I have seen some pretty good polls, too.
Deji
one thing you would need to be careful of is making sure people know which forum is for like

Computing (Main Forum)
Discussion of operating systems,technology software etc.
(sub forums)
Computer Issues / Hardware problems
Problems with your computer, its hardware or software

in this way you can have a main section with just discussion and then a specific area with in it for people who have problems. (would be neater than having them realy far apart like the current set up)

Hosting (main forum)
(sub forums)
Applications
Accepted
Pending
Rejected
Suggestions
Hosting Support

seems like a good idea to have the support for the hosting with the other hosting related information. Also have the suggestions in the same place as the other hosting related issues.

Entertainment
(subforums)
Gaming
Litterature
Music
Movies + Televison
Sports

General
(subforums)
Announcements
Introductions
General Discussion
World News

The Gallery
Share your art, photos, images and other creations
Writing (?)
Art (digital or traditional)
Pictures (photographs)

Humor *is it worth having this as most of it is spam*
(subforums)
Jokes
Funny Images

could have instead

Junk Yard
Jokes, amusing pictures and anything that isnt serious enougth for other areas of the forum
*while it will probably be spam having it all togither will maybe encourage people to post things that are more original rather than the "Funny Images" section which encourages people just to google some pictures then link them..*

Market Place
(subforums)
Buying (if you are looking for someone to do something for $)
Selling (If you are offering a service / selling signatures etc.)

i would keep the website section just the way it is...

(you could probably re-order the things i have here depends what you want at the top of the page)
Bondings
One day, the
Quote:

Applications

Accepted

Pending

Rejected

will be gone, I hope, and replaced by a request form. I just don't know when it will be finished. Embarassed
Deji
sorry edited my post to make it a lot longer and more detailed..

also just to comment i think having a "funny pictures" and "jokes" forum section isnt the greatest idea as it just encourages spam.

Id like to see more of an area similar to general chat but with more relaxed rules.. so you can post things that would normally be spam but get people more involved... for example build on storys / forum games.

on a forum i visit its one of the most popular areas as you can do what you want (with in limits), such as link amusing pictures / internet news you have found without worrying if you are going to get in trouble.

As it stands people just post in the funny pics section and no one ever responds as its all just basicly spam.

Also the addition of a Writing forum might be good, to create a section of forums (Art, Writing, and Picture Gallery) where people can share different creative things they have done. So the user introductions become part of the "General" area of the site in an attempt to create more of a community.

(sorry i keep editing just im not wording this very well)
Kit
Bondings wrote:
One day, the
Quote:

Applications

Accepted

Pending

Rejected

will be gone, I hope, and replaced by a request form. I just don't know when it will be finished. Embarassed

That's actually quite a good idea. It cuts down on the forum tally and keeps everything neater. Can't wait till it gets finished and implemented.
tidruG
Deji, your re-arrangement isn't bad.

However, you need not worry about the Funny Pictures/Jokes forum. The mere fact that you do not get points/FRIH$ in those forums means that people will be less inclined to post things that they don't think are absolutely funny.

Merging Introductions with General forum will just congest the General forum far too much. As it is, it's the one that gets a post every 2 minutes Very Happy

But merging Suggestions and stuff with the requests' forums isn't a bad idea... just collecting all the Frihost part and making one big category out of it...
n0obie4life
Subforums are impossible BTW.
tidruG
n0obie4life wrote:

Good. I was against sub-forums. I'd rather have forums in different Categories.
n0obie4life
tidrug wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

Good. I was against sub-forums. I'd rather have forums in different Categories.

Impossible as in because this forum does not have the hack installed and it isn't Olympus (aka phpBB 3.0)
Deji
well just replace the titles in bold with categories and instead of subforums just have forums...

pretty much the way we have things at the momnet just a different order.