FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Did you know that you can change your name?

Relentless
Hi, I was browsing old posts on the forum and came across this
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-10105.html
Which then I posted about somthing I have known about for along time.

So I thought I will make a new post and tell everyone about changing your name.

In the UK you can legally change your name (or your children's names).

you can officially change any part or all of your name. For example, you can change your forenames, surname (or both), add names, remove names, change the spelling of your names or rearrange your existing forenames.

Even tho you have done this UK passport service still accept it. So you could bacially have to passports. OR two drving licences.

Many people use this service because they have had trouble with the police, Passport Office, DVLA, or a newspaper article.

If anybody finds this interesting I have put the link below.
And by the way. You can change your name to anything! Laughing

http://www.ukdps.co.uk

Dan....
GSIS
Relentless wrote:

... So you could bacially have to passports. OR two drving licences. ...

Wrong.

From http://www.ukdps.co.uk

Quote:

A Deed Poll for a change of name contains three declarations and by executing the Deed Poll (signing, dating and having your signing witnessed) you are committing yourself to:

* Abandoning the use of your former name;
* Using your new name only at all times;
* Requiring all persons to address you by your new name only.

This would - without a doubt - legally commit you to having your passport and driving licence replaced. You would not be allowed to keep the old ones.

You could, possibly, declare that the originals have been 'lost' but that would ring some serious alarm bells when the passport office or DVLA receive the name change documentation and certified copy of the deed poll. It would cause you very serious problems if you presented the old passport to an official, or the old driving licence to a police officer when stopped.
ocalhoun
^yes, a much better way to have two driver's licenses and passports would be to just get or make credible forgeries. It would be about equally legal as well. They wouldn't hold up to close inspection or electronic checking, but neither would the duplicates from the other method. (There are ways to get forgeries that will withstand electronic lookups, but I probably shouldn't discuss them here.)
newso
lol has anyone changed their name on these forums since readying this message lol.

I reckon someone should give them a middle name called "Frihost" lol
Relentless
GSIS wrote:
Relentless wrote:

... So you could bacially have to passports. OR two drving licences. ...

Wrong.

From http://www.ukdps.co.uk

Quote:

A Deed Poll for a change of name contains three declarations and by executing the Deed Poll (signing, dating and having your signing witnessed) you are committing yourself to:

* Abandoning the use of your former name;
* Using your new name only at all times;
* Requiring all persons to address you by your new name only.

This would - without a doubt - legally commit you to having your passport and driving licence replaced. You would not be allowed to keep the old ones.

You could, possibly, declare that the originals have been 'lost' but that would ring some serious alarm bells when the passport office or DVLA receive the name change documentation and certified copy of the deed poll. It would cause you very serious problems if you presented the old passport to an official, or the old driving licence to a police officer when stopped.

I am not wrong! I know they state that but they do not take your passport away. they are only a company that issue an onficial rename. There a few companies that change your name. The people who could possibly take your passport away is the passport office. But they don't! the moment you get a new name that is a new person! so a new file is created and in that file states no passport! therefor getting issuied with one(your second).

An identity or name only lives through you saying so and official documents like your driving licene or passport or birth certificate!

How to use your old name:
If you keep yout birth certificate and your *passport + *driving licence until they *expire. your old name will still live. So if an offical personal pulls you 2 one side show them your oficail (old) birthcertificate and you will walk free........

How to use your new name:
if you ask for a new birthcertificate, a new driving licence & passport. The deed poll paperwork will be accepted by the DVLA, and the UK passport office. And of course if you have had your name changed then your birthcertificate will change to as the DEED POLL is official!

So....
The Conclusion...

You can use your old name until your old named official documents expire ( which i don't think your Birthcertificate does :-S)

And use your new name for ever!!!!

I was going to get my name changed to Ausin Powers lol
quex
Anyone got the information on changing your name in the USA? I understand it used to vary from state to state until something in the flurry of post 9-11 legislation made it a federal matter. I would very much like to change my name to something that doesn't get five people's attention whenever it gets called out in a crowded room... Common names are such a pain.
SpellcasterDX
Yea I knew you could change your name. Dunno what the rules/restrictions/laws are here in the US, though. I'm sure they're similar to the ones in the UK.
raine dragon
A lot of people over here in the states change their names. I know of quite a few people who have or who are planning on doing so. ^_^
Nameless
I would actually change my first name to 'Nameless', if it weren't for the fact it probably wouldn't be allowed due to extreme confusion it might well inspire in any number of otherwise trivial situations. Sigh.
Genesiz
I have no need to change my name. My name is already Genesiz Wink

No but seriously, i dont really see why someone would want to officially change their name. Most people who dont like their name get called something else anyway, so it seems like a waste of time for no reward.

That said, i had always liked the name .........
Emmer-Compascuum
Genesiz wrote:
No but seriously, i dont really see why someone would want to officially change their name.

Imagine your name is Meredith or Maria as a guy. =P Friends who know you don't like the name might call you something else, but all people who don't know you will probably laugh at you.
GSIS
Relentless wrote:

I am not wrong! I know they state that but they do not take your passport away. they are only a company that issue an onficial rename. There a few companies that change your name. The people who could possibly take your passport away is the passport office. But they don't! the moment you get a new name that is a new person! so a new file is created and in that file states no passport! therefor getting issuied with one(your second).

An identity or name only lives through you saying so and official documents like your driving licene or passport or birth certificate!

How to use your old name:
If you keep yout birth certificate and your *passport + *driving licence until they *expire. your old name will still live. So if an offical personal pulls you 2 one side show them your oficail (old) birthcertificate and you will walk free........

How to use your new name:
if you ask for a new birthcertificate, a new driving licence & passport. The deed poll paperwork will be accepted by the DVLA, and the UK passport office. And of course if you have had your name changed then your birthcertificate will change to as the DEED POLL is official!

So....
The Conclusion...

You can use your old name until your old named official documents expire ( which i don't think your Birthcertificate does :-S)

And use your new name for ever!!!!

I was going to get my name changed to Ausin Powers lol

You may well be able to illegally retain the old documentation. However, you have legally committed yourself to what I have already stated. When you apply, to the Identity and Passport Service using your new name you will be required to prove you are who you say you are. The only way to do this is by using your birth certificate and the deed poll certificate. When the IPS receives this documentation they WILL check for any current passport issued under your old name - and WILL demand it's return to them for destruction.

You are also legally obliged to inform the DVLA of your name change. This is from the DVLA web site:
Quote:

Q What do I do if I change my name
or address?
A Fill in the change of address section
on your paper licence or your
photocard’s paper counterpart and
send it to us. If your name has
changed, send us original proof of the
name change (for example, a marriage
certificate, decree absolute or deed
poll certificate) with the licence and a
filled-in D1 form.
If you do not tell us about a change of
name or address, you may be fined up
to £1000.

The only point I will agree with you is that - due to the laziness of the average cop - you MIGHT get away with showing an old driving licence. UK driving licences do not expire until the holder is - IIRC - 70 or incapable of driving due to ill health.

Any cop who follows the rules will run a licence check against the DVLA and police national computers for whoever he stops. If you have reported a name change to the DVLA they will have invalidated your old licence and you leave yourself open to prosecution for using a false instrument (the invalid driving licence), and probably a whole raft of other offences including attempted fraud or deception and attempting to corrupt the course of justice.

If you have not requested a name change you will only have one licence - and it will be in your old name. The DVLA will probably be unaware of the actual name change but if you happen to be found with other documents in your new name (especially a cheque book, credit card, ATM card or any other financial document) the police are going to be mightily suspicious and almost certainly will detain you until they have established your true identity - they'll probably start out on 'suspicion of theft' but will move on to other things as the truth emerges. At this point the offence will be reported to the DVLA who will impose a fine of up to £1000 for your failure to notify them.

By all means go ahead and test your theory - but don't be surprised if you end up in some very deep brown smelly stuff - especially in a world where proof of identity is becoming so very important, and those who have either no identity, or have more than one, are regarded as highly suspicious and possibly even regarded as potential terrorists.

Basically, don't try this at home folks. You might get away with it for a while but sooner or later you will be caught and held accountable. Remember some people really do believe that "it's only illegal if you get caught". Laughing
quex
I found it. Looks like it takes a court order and some money, regardless of state. Damn.
singh.gurjeet
I thought it was about changing one's name in the Frihost forums... needless to say that I was disappointed...!!!

And, of course you can change your name; in whichever (free) country you reside. You just need to know the procedure..
missdixy
quex wrote:
Anyone got the information on changing your name in the USA? I understand it used to vary from state to state until something in the flurry of post 9-11 legislation made it a federal matter. I would very much like to change my name to something that doesn't get five people's attention whenever it gets called out in a crowded room... Common names are such a pain.

I live in the U.S., and a friend of mine, as soon as she turned 18, went and changed both her first and last name. Something about how she hated her father (who named her, and whose last name she had) so yeaaa. I would probably never do it myself, though....it would just feel so weird.
hofodomo01
apparently, for the first half of my life, i've been called by my last name, and my first name kinda morphed into my last name. that's how i filled out everything, on forms, applications, etc.

only not too long ago did i get it corrected officially, and now there's problems when i try and get funds, etc from older accounts >_<
quex
hofodomo01 wrote:
only not too long ago did i get it corrected officially, and now there's problems when i try and get funds, etc from older accounts >_<

That's what I'm worried about. Especially with American bureaucracy as it is, I'm likely to lose my SSN over something like a legal name change.
thejam
Here in China, kids come up with their own English name. ( most western people cannot pronounce the Chinese tones correctly, or forget the name instantly bacause of its complexity)
People are pretty creative in giving names to themselfes. It's not official, so sometimes people change it aswell when they are tired of it. examples are: Elvis, Seeking, Echo, little Swan.

Not long ago i bumped into a chinese friend (Doris) of a friend of mine. When i told my friend about that i bumped into her, she said who? I said Doris! My friend told me she didn't knew any Doris. What made me like: i thought it was your best friend? she replied like oooooowwww.... she must of changed her English name.. i didn't knew her English name was Doris.. It's kinda nice to pick your own name
Thundercloud
Man I do not even like nicknames let alone changing my name I would never change it. God has given me this name for a reason and it is not to change it.
Zombie
I would prefer a nickname... Who would want to part with their original name? Ok, if your name is Wallace I'm this would be a great thing. But, me? I like my name, I don't love it, but thats better than hating it.
JayBee
I like my name, so I would not like to change it.
Aless
Changing your name on the deed poll is even cheaper! Something like a tenner, I believe. Ridiculous. It's replacing the passport, etc. that costs a lot.

My woman's mag had a profile on people who changed theirs to weird names like "Princess Muffincake Rainbow Sunshine". Ugh!
quex
thejam wrote:
Here in China, kids come up with their own English name. ( most western people cannot pronounce the Chinese tones correctly, or forget the name instantly bacause of its complexity)
People are pretty creative in giving names to themselfes. It's not official, so sometimes people change it aswell when they are tired of it. examples are: Elvis, Seeking, Echo, little Swan.

Not long ago i bumped into a chinese friend (Doris) of a friend of mine. When i told my friend about that i bumped into her, she said who? I said Doris! My friend told me she didn't knew any Doris. What made me like: i thought it was your best friend? she replied like oooooowwww.... she must of changed her English name.. i didn't knew her English name was Doris.. It's kinda nice to pick your own name

I've always appreciated the creativity of Chinese-English names... Like Cherries, Fish, Iron, Guide, etc. They're much more interesting than the "traditional" English names, in my opinion. What name do you use, if you don't mind my asking? XD
quex
Aless wrote:
Changing your name on the deed poll is even cheaper! Something like a tenner, I believe. Ridiculous. It's replacing the passport, etc. that costs a lot.

My woman's mag had a profile on people who changed theirs to weird names like "Princess Muffincake Rainbow Sunshine". Ugh!

What is a deed poll? o.o?
quex
Thundercloud wrote:
Man I do not even like nicknames let alone changing my name I would never change it. God has given me this name for a reason and it is not to change it.

If it's alright with you, may I ask what religion or culture you are from? I'm just curious. ^^
DecayClan
Hmmm... i knew that, but i see no reason in it... I mean, why change your name?(besides having trouble with the law, because i am pretty sure that they change all the records to match your new identity).

If you feal that your name sucks so muc , that you HAVE to change it, then you probably have a complex of some kind or something...

Anyways, i don't think that i would do it...
PatTheGreat42
I always wanted to change my name to Zanzibar.

Maybe Rodney.

I don't know why.

Zach?
Kitten Kong
I knew a guy who changed his name legally from "trevor" to "treva" because he felt that was how most people pronounced it anyway. It was supposed to be some kind of biting commentary on the linguistic state of modern Australia.

damn treva was a wanker
asim
Relentless wrote:
Hi, I was browsing old posts on the forum and came across this
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-10105.html
Which then I posted about somthing I have known about for along time.

So I thought I will make a new post and tell everyone about changing your name.

In the UK you can legally change your name (or your children's names).

you can officially change any part or all of your name. For example, you can change your forenames, surname (or both), add names, remove names, change the spelling of your names or rearrange your existing forenames.

Even tho you have done this UK passport service still accept it. So you could bacially have to passports. OR two drving licences.

Many people use this service because they have had trouble with the police, Passport Office, DVLA, or a newspaper article.

If anybody finds this interesting I have put the link below.
And by the way. You can change your name to anything! Laughing

http://www.ukdps.co.uk

Dan....

Good man,

but this to happen in india would take years... bcoz... goverment employee's are just an ******.
JBotAlan
I did know that it is possible to change my name; however, I wouldn't want to. It would be a disrespect to my parents...sort of like disowning my past. One of the ways I can honor my parents is to keep their "label" on me--my name, which they gave me.

Besides, I have always liked my name. It is somewhat unique, and the other ones I know who have my name seem to be unique personalities...I like that.

JBot
Keziah
I plan on changing my name, just tacking on 'Keziah' to what's already there. My family has a big history of name changing. Razz
cafein
best off all names should remind you your parents and loved ones..if you change you may feel like someone else do
JustCarol
I like my first name but I have some trouble with the middle one. I mean, it's nice too, just don't match with first one... but if I changed it my mum would go like "ohhh it was the name I've chosen for you...."

anyway, it would be lovely to add Windsor in my name.... Cool Cool Wink Laughing