FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

rudeness

feder
Hi! Suddenly I've become interested in one question. What is your biggest pet peeves? As for me, I don't like rudeness concerning servers, when clients think that if they pay money, they can do everything with waiters or serving personnel. What about you?
LOL, I am a server myself at time in order to pay the bills and my biggest pet peeve is that people will run you to death, and complain about their meal, and they won't leave you a worthy tip. They come in trying to cut you down so they won't have to tip you big and yet they expect the best service in the world anyway.

My question to you is this: Can't you people who don't like tipping big start expecting the service to be on par with that? (little tip = little service and yes!!! I can see you people coming)

Better yet: Why don't you just start annoicing when you walk in the door that you are a cheapskate so I don't run myself to death for you. Heck, you can get your own refills at the bar. LMAO!!
CrimsonStrange
I think my all-time greatest social aggravation would have to be the rapidly increasing level of stupidity within the general public.

I define stupidity in these terms:

knowing better, but doing it anyway.
not paying attention while engaging in activities that require your concentration... ie. driving
substituting pride for intelligence/common sense

In the vicinity where I live, the public has grown so stupid & non-attentive that I'm actually afraid to ride in a car and feel quite paranoid while walking through a crowded store. Cellphones are usually to blame... Rolling Eyes
Bluedoll
Rudeness is just unexceptable. No one has to put up with it. Waiters have a job to do like anyone else but when it comes to rudeness can find ways of dealing with it, like making someone wait.

On the other hand when I pay money I expect some level of service, friendlyness, willingness to cater etc. and if I don't get it can respond to the bad service as well.

We all have to adapt to different attitudes but rudeness is all about respect isn't it.
Aiz
I personally have a lot of pet peeves, some are very pretty much universal, some are strange.

Rudeness is one of them, but since I've never done waitressing, I don't know much about how much frustration waiters and waitresses run into but, the rudeness that gets to me is a general thing.

Something similar for me is, at one point I ran a game server, it was for free, and yet everyone was complaining and demanding stuff as if they had the right to. I used to tell them. This server is a privilege not a right, stop complaining and leave if you don't like it. If you wanna complain, help out with the cost of running the server, then you can complain/demand.

Although, the biggest form of rudeness, if you could call it that, that gets to me is inconsideration. For instance, I was in a Korean buffet once, and this one older Korean woman was just standing there at the food table and pulling meat off of pork ribs with her hands, then putting the meat in her plate and throwing the bones back into the food serving dish. Argh. so disgusting. She's old enough to know that it's not just her that will be eating the food. I don't how she could justify doing that.

Another case was, one of my classmates, he used to not say anything when he was called on and just sit there and puts his face in his hands for 5 mins or so while the teacher stands there asking "Are you ok? Are you sick?" When everyone knows, including the teacher, that he was just not prepared and didn't know how to answer, and instead of saying "sorry, I don't know" he opped to sit there and waste everyone else's class-time when the class period was already too short for everything we needed to get done without his dramatic act scenes -_-.

But yes, as CrimsonStrange said, the stupidity level gets to me too, especially the lack of common sense, which ties together with inconsideration and general rudeness. =/
ocalhoun
Well, perhaps it isn't quite rudeness, but it sort of ties into what CrimsonStrange wrote...
I work in a restaurant, and people are supposed to put their garbage in a window at the back of the room. EVERY sign in the entire dining room is a sign that says that and points to it. (there are 7 of these signs, all over the walls) Nevertheless, I get asked with alarming (and annoying) frequency: "where is the garbage can?" Is this inability to notice, read, and understand the signs stupidity, inattention or both?
KatanaSky
I'd have to agree with the majority about the rudeness thing... it really is unnecessary and if only everyone can just be considerate all the time and not take things out on other people... but we don't live in a perfect world - so I guess most of the time we just have to deal.

One type of rudeness that I don't like is when people are on the phone...

1) Calling and not saying anything or having nothing in particular to talk about. It's one thing to be quiet and let the other person speak but it's another just sitting there while you do other stuff to keep yourself occupied while leaving the person on the other line hanging - that's just annoying!

2) Talking to someone on the phone and in the middle of the conversation they just start talking to someone on the other side - it's like dude, tell me to hold on or signal to the person to hold on while I finish what I'm saying.

3) SPEAKER PHONE - ugh... Personally, I hate it when I'm on speaker but ESPECIALLY when there is another person listening in or... other people AND when I'm put on speaker without asking me first. That's annoying.

I'm sure there's more but going on like this is actually making me moody lol I gotta leave this topic. Laughing
raine dragon
I worked in a toy store, and as far as rudeness goes...

1) People talking on the phone while I ring them up and then getting mad because they don't have gift receipts or something like that. I asked if they wanted one, how is it my fault that they didn't answer?

2) Adults messing up shelves / throwing things on the floor. I understand when a toddler picks up a ball and leaves it on the ground, but when an adult messes up a whole display to shove their garbage on it, or an item they don't want, that rather bothers me. I don't know if it is just how I was brought up, but my mother taught me that when you go to a store, if you change your mind you put the thing back where you found it, and the way you found it. If stuff is crooked or something that's fine, even knocked over is ok... it's when they mess up other stuff to shove something they don't want where is doesn't go that I get frusterated.
Genesiz
When i did some part-time work in a shop, something i really hated was people who came in looking to buy something, and then spent hours going through the whole 'well should i, oh i dont know, im not really sure'. I felt like saying just buy the thing, or get out, because you've wasted enough of my time as it is.

I also hate people who chew chewing gum with their mouth open. You hear them, with their mouth going round like a cement mixer, slapping their chops. Its just disgusting.
CMA
Here comes the roller coaster...

- People who are so damn proud they can't admit they made a mistake, even when everyone else already knows they did it, and refuse to explain themselves. Another sort is the kind of people who realize they did something bad and shut themselves, refusing to talk and even acting as if it was nothing instead of showing they're sorry.

- People who'd rather bother other people with questions instead of working things out for themselves, or even TRYING to, especially when the answer to their question is right in front of them or even in their hands (like ocalhoun already said here). My sister is the perfect example for this... she's the kind to ask me "what do I do next?" while cooking, and WHILE HOLDING THE RECIPE IN HER HANDS! Yes, this happened before...

- People who walk into my bedroom before knocking, even if I'm just sitting around doing nothing.
AftershockVibe
There aren't many things which really annoy me, but one woman today managed.

I was waiting in front of a counter in a shop to be served and this woman decides that rather than saying "excuse me", the easiest way to get past is to simply drive her buggy into my heels! She didn't say sorry either after I've moved. She them proceeded to do the same thing to other people between her and the door until she left.

I'm not sure which is more depressing, the fact that she did this or the fact that she's managed to breed (despite being both hideous,overweight and apparently a total bitch).
Afaceinthematrix
I hate that. I work at a department store and if I have to refuse a return or something, people will yell at me. And I'll politely try and tell them that I didn't create the return policy, I just have to work with it and that yelling at me isn't going to change anything but people still find the need to yell at you and I hate it.
Insanity
CrimsonStrange wrote:
I think my all-time greatest social aggravation would have to be the rapidly increasing level of stupidity within the general public.

I define stupidity in these terms:

knowing better, but doing it anyway.
not paying attention while engaging in activities that require your concentration... ie. driving
substituting pride for intelligence/common sense

In the vicinity where I live, the public has grown so stupid & non-attentive that I'm actually afraid to ride in a car and feel quite paranoid while walking through a crowded store. Cellphones are usually to blame... Rolling Eyes

I agree. Especially the part about drivers. The thing I hate about driving is how stupid and rude other drivers are. They're the ones you hope would crash someday because they're so bent on getting to their destination that they don't care about others.
Zug Zug
I have a ton of pet peeves. The top ones are: smacking and eating with mouth open-it's disgusting and annoying, when people talk on their cell phones when ordering food-very rude and inconsiderate, when people are rude to a clerk at a store-again very rude and inconsiderate...this person is trying to help you, why make their day worse? When little kids are running around screaming and misbehaving in a store-c'mon people...be parents don't let your kids be zoo animals! Also when people don't shower or brush their teeth-you stink....no one wants to be around you when you're not clean!! The "old lady" driver....it's the freeway you can go above 45mph. Back to the cell phone issue- when people talk on their cell phones while driving...it's not safe-you can cause a car accident! Also when people don't use their blinkers when they are either changing lanes or turning...it's there for a reason-use it! When my husband slurps his cereal milk-it's annoying. Also...one last thing, when people squeeze the tube of toothpaste from the middle and not from the bottom up. I have a few more but I think I've complained enough ^_^ Very Happy
missdixy
I don't like when people are snappy and say things in a mean/rude tone.
Ay. I deal with it almost every day and it drives me crazy. Not to mention it depresses me.
frozenhead
Any "form" of rudeness is such a bad thing. I really won't spend much time with people like that, I ignore them, that's what I do.
hlavco
I made a list of my pet peeves once... it's way too long to post here.

But yeah, one of my major ones is people who talk to you ALL THE TIME without having anything to say. One of my friends AIMs me several times a day with "Hey. What's up? What are you doing?" And if I say "Not much" (which is assumed to mean nothing worth talking about or nothing I want to talk about) he'll ask what "not much" is. If he asks me to do something and I don't feel like it, he'll ask why I don't feel like it. I mean, not feeling like doing something isn't something you can just explain. It just depends on your mood.

But even worse is "inviting yourself over". The same kid does it all the time. "Can I come to your room?" If I say no, he'll ask why not. And that goes back to the "don't feel like it" thing above. Or one time, he actually just showed up at our door and asked to come in. It's not like he was just passing through, either. It's a good twenty-five minute walk between our dorm and his apartment.

He's a nice kid, but he gets really annoying, socially-speaking.
catscratches
Yeah, I have a person in school who really talks much and it's irritating Razz And then he says bad things against other and ask what he have done when they hit him >_> Yes, they shouldn't hit him but he shouldn't say those things either.

Also, people commenting your style or a style in generall without even knowing it annoys me. Like for example the thing "emo". Everybody seems to hate it. Why? Because they have a false impression of what it is and you just need ot hate it. But it's nothing wrong with it really. They just hate it cause you SHOULD. It's so braindead and arrogant. These are the same people that doesn't get that WWII was really serious. They keep saying "****** Jew" and such things and gaaaah. They are just so extremely stupid!

It's really terrible to see where the world is going with all the arrogant and stupid people in school. They should know better. They go in 9th grade! They're 15 years old! Havn't they learned anything about racism or social contact in 15 years?
Arnie
Reading through the posts in this topic just makes me upset already Laughing As for me, I really can't stand having to cooperate with people that are sure they know better, and thus expect you to listen to all their suggestions, but themselves never listen to yours. Especially when they don't even let you finish speaking but just blatantly interrupt!

Probably only a handful of people will actually read this, but it's vented now... Mr. Green
mossuto
feder wrote:
Hi! Suddenly I've become interested in one question. What is your biggest pet peeves? As for me, I don't like rudeness concerning servers, when clients think that if they pay money, they can do everything with waiters or serving personnel. What about you?

i hate when cats scratch my furniture!
riv_
I think it's got to be stupidity/incompetence. Sometimes, you can see people really trying, and they just don't get it. That's frustrating, but forgivable. Still a pet-peeve though, because we have a culture that breeds and encourages stupidity.
But incompetence frustrates me. Everywhere I go i am met with rude and incompetent people. They do crappy jobs, and don't care to do otherwise. I don't think I need to be treated like royalty, but I don't understand why people expect to keep their jobs when they clearly don't care...
And why do their employers expect to keep my business when their customer service people would rather not serve customers...
it just bugs me. Because it seems to be becoming more than a once-in-a-while sort of thing.
Arnie
mossuto wrote:
feder wrote:
What is your biggest pet peeves?
Pet peeves huh? Laughing
missdixy
Arnie wrote:
mossuto wrote:
feder wrote:
What is your biggest pet peeves?