FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The future of the iPhone

Tony The Tiger
Does anyone have an estimate on how long it will take parts such as semiconductors and flash memory to shrink enough to get 100 GB of space for music and other storage into an iPhone. I carry about a half full 160 GB iPod classic and don't like to be without my wide selection. I am guessing it will take about 3 or 4 years. Does this sound reasonable?
Arno v. Lumig
SanDisk recently showed off 64GB of flash memory in an SD card, but Apple could also put 5*16GB = 80GB of storage in their iPhone. It would make the iPhone just a bit less affordable...
Tony The Tiger
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
SanDisk recently showed off 64GB of flash memory in an SD card, but Apple could also put 5*16GB = 80GB of storage in their iPhone. It would make the iPhone just a bit less affordable...

Are you saying that Apple currently has the technology to include 80 GB, but for cost concerns does not offer such a configuration to the public for sale?
Arno v. Lumig
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Arno v. Lumig wrote:

Are you saying that Apple currently has the technology to include 80 GB, but for cost concerns does not offer such a configuration to the public for sale?

I'm saying that if Apple wanted to stuff 80GB in the iPhone they could have done that. There are SD cards of 16GB available, and I'm sure they could've stuffed a few of these in the iPhone if they wanted to. Another possiblity (but it's less resistant to shocks) is to use a super small hard disk, like the first generations of iPods used. I think it would just cost too much to implement this, or would increase the size of the iPhone too much. I think that it will be done in the 2nd gen iPhone or something Wink

Look at this movie for example:
http://www.webwereld.nl/articles/46828/sandisk-toont-ssd-schijf-van-64-gb.html

The site is Dutch, but the movie is in English. You can see that Sandisk has created an solid state disk that can hold 64GB of storage, and it's 1,8" in diameter. That is less the the size of the accu in the iPhone, if I remember correctly, and I'm sure that Apple could find a way to put it in the iPhone.

Perhaps the price is too high, or they didn't want to make the iPhone any bigger, but Apple could put 80GB of storage in the iPhone if they wanted to.
rvbarreto
This SD its the SDHC?

I was reading about it and the biggers ones today, for selling, are the 16 gb ones.
It will take some time until the 64 GB go to the stores.

But, talking about the Iphone, I wont one until I saw Eten x800.
GPS, 500mHz, support SDHC, windows mobile, vga screen a lot of things. In my opnion, best "phone" at the moment. Check it:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=1827&idPhone2=1926

I fell happy everytime I think about this phone... Wink
Tony The Tiger
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Arno v. Lumig wrote:

I'm saying that if Apple wanted to stuff 80GB in the iPhone they could have done that. There are SD cards of 16GB available, and I'm sure they could've stuffed a few of these in the iPhone if they wanted to.

Look at this movie for example:
http://www.webwereld.nl/articles/46828/sandisk-toont-ssd-schijf-van-64-gb.html

I will look at your movie later because I am on a dial-up connection at the moment. However, I think that Apple probably could have made an iPhone the size of the old clunker cellular phones that made people look like they were carrying boots around and talking to them or something odd. I am sure the technology is available to put 160GB in a phone, but not at a size/price combination that they want to market. I think they have found the iPhone size that they like and will keep increasing the amount of capabilities for a gadget of that size like they have done with the basic iPod. That is my guess any way.