FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whats the best PHP 5 editor?

flatliner
hey every1, well today I was working away developing some PHP scripts and I noticed quite a few
PHP 5 functions are not reconised by my editor. I am using Maguma stuido, which I think is a great editor but when I went to see if there was a new version out, their website seem to be not manitained/dead.

Any1 got any idea on a new/good PHP editor I could get for free?
imagefree
I use Dreamweaver 8. Although its a wysiwyg editor but helps the coding works greatly. (Sometimes i use PHP WebDesigner Professional too)
{name here}
If there are any editors that support the new PHP5 things, it's either Vim or Emacs. If they don't they probably have some PHP 5 extension buried in their pools of extensions. Vim's documentation can even help you add whatever new features you need highlighted (like $this, which really through me off when I first had to use it) to the standard php highlighting file.
flatliner
thanks for the suggestions guys, any1 else got any? I am looking to try out a few different ones
romaop
Check out eclipse. Its original thought for Java programming but some folks extended it to PHP. And its free.
ronaldallan.mojica
Zend IDE Studio! If you are a hardcore PHP programmer or maybe your just starting to learn this .. Go and Get ZEnd
welshsteve
I mainly use Notepad++ for all my editing. I have Dreamweaver CS3 on a laptop that I use when out and about.
flatliner
yea I have used eclipse before didnt really like it that much for some reason, might check it out again tho, thanks.

Zend IDE Studio looks great and all but I dont want to spend $245 on a PHP editor. Like really...
but thanks for the suggestion

Notepad++
I have heard alot of ppl talk about this, I might check it out.
asim
Hi buddy....
just google it and you are there, this software rocks.... with its features.... you can do loads of thing in it... so just check it out.. i guess you will like it.
phpjsfan
I like Notepad++.
I guess that's because I don't much care about code-completion and stuff, syntax highlighting goes the whole way for me.
It would be nice if the SharpDevelop people decided to write a plugin for PHP... though I don't think this will happen, of course.
iamarun
I have dreamweaver but i prefer using Notepad++ its way far easy and simple and is not complicated.
You better give it a try and check if it works for you
nivexuck
I use DzSoft PHP Editor. It has much features:

* PHP and HTML/XML Syntax Highlighting
* Built-in FTP Client
* The Code Explorer
* The File Explorer
* Project Manager
* NEW: File Search Utility
* One-click run and preview
* Syntax Checking
* Full reporting of errors and warnings
* Full control of the input data and environment variables
* Support for virtually all currently used Content-Types. That means that you can run scripts which generate any content (for example, images)
* PHP extensions supported
* Quick insertion of PHP functions
* Features for quick navigation in the code
* Customizable Code Templates
* Possibility to export the source code to HTML and print it with syntax highlighting
* Bookmarks
* Tabbed multi-document interface
* PHP Help support with quick keyword search
* Different keymapping schemes (Default, Classic, Brief, Epsilon, Visual Studio)
* Windows/Unix/Mac file formats support

for those features you must spend $49.
dude_xyx
I use Dreamweaver 8 too. Its used to it too much and its really good.
Diablosblizz
phpDesigner 2008 here. It's very good, basically all the features that Dreamweaver has, though I believe it is smaller.
takashiro
I am just using Dreamweaver 8. Perhaps it's not the best. But it can't be easier to use. Very Happy
dude_xyx
takashiro wrote:
I am just using Dreamweaver 8. Perhaps it's not the best. But it can't be easier to use. Very Happy

It is the best , if you know how to use it. Its a very powerful tool for php coding.
rvec
moved to software

I always use notepad++ and just installed English and Dutch spell check for it. There is also a function list and good highlighting and tons of other plugins you can install.

A list of all the plugins:
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/download.php
kansloos
I find Dreamweaver to be great, we use it in school all the time.
csoftdev
i am using zend for php editing and it is the best that i have used so far. i use it on both linux and windows and it runs very smoothly. give it a try. it is not a freeware though if you are after a freeware. it is a paid software. give it a try.
chartcentral
I used to have Macromedia Dreamweaver 8, but now it's the new Adobe Dreamweaver CS3, and it's doing quite fine with my PHP programming needs. Maybe other PHP editors would have more features, but I guess I don't really need them. Hehe. But I do always pair my PHP coding with the manual and it works just great.
swizzy
Diablosblizz wrote:
phpDesigner 2008 here. It's very good, basically all the features that Dreamweaver has, though I believe it is smaller.

yup i love the inbuilt php documentation, and the whole php preprocessor added on to it, you can just edit a php file, compile and it will process the php (without any webserver) and display the final html in the browser. Also the skins are good...

some of the features include, built-in svn, filezilla, phpMyAdmin, XDebug, WinCacheGrind, phpDocumentor, Smarty, php Code Beautifier, HTML tidy FTP integration

Also it supports syntax highlighting for html, css, php, js, etc.
Gieter
Diablosblizz wrote:

Mmm, phpDesigner, lovely piece of software, I prefer it over Dreamweaver, Crimson Editor, Notepad ++...
dickyzin
I've always used Dreamweaver for editing php files. I think it's the best so far.
flatliner
romaop wrote:
Check out eclipse. Its original thought for Java programming but some folks extended it to PHP. And its free.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I am currently using eclipse, I find it very effective and its stable. It could do with better highlighting, but over all I find it nice to work with. Thanks again
erlendhg
Heh, I use Notepad for php scripting.
No, not like Notepad++, but Windows' notepad.exe (!)
flatliner
erlendhg wrote:

Very small onces I am guessing?? Like that would drive me mad using notepad for coding anything.
Like most of my scripts are parts of large projects. Like at the moment I am writing a class library for an application I am developing and so far its over 500 lines long and still that and more to add. I just couldn't do that in notepad alone, it would drive me mad Brick wall Brick wall ha ha:D
erlendhg
flatliner wrote:
erlendhg wrote:

Very small onces I am guessing?? Like that would drive me mad using notepad for coding anything.
Like most of my scripts are parts of large projects. Like at the moment I am writing a class library for an application I am developing and so far its over 500 lines long and still that and more to add. I just couldn't do that in notepad alone, it would drive me mad Brick wall Brick wall ha ha:D

Well, now I am just an amateur php programmer, and I have never written very complex classes in php (in c++ though), but I would not call my scripts very small either. They can be "un-complex" codes in a few hundred lines, depending on what it is for.

And I know, it is not very coder-friendly (not for me either) to use Notepad, and I soon get confused if I leave the code for a while. Usually, I use small programs with syntax highlighting to write html, but lately I have been a lazy bum and haven't bothered to install such program on my laptop (got it when school started last year).

Also it is quick and easy just to right click a file in WS_FTP LE and choose edit to open the file in notepad and just close the file to save the changes to the server (yes I use that very old version of WS_FTP).

You might say I'm white and nerdy Razz
jackill
Currently I'm using EClipse PDT (http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/) + Aptana plugin. It' s great IDE and also supports CSS, JS & Java of course. JUst dload and unpact all-in-one (important!) Eclipse PDT and add Aptana plugin. Instructions here:

(Help > Software Updates > Find and Install > Search for new features to install).
Add (New Remote Site): http://update.aptana.com/install/3.2/
Install all from here (complete Aptana support)

IDE configuration should look: http://blog.koloda.pl/uploads/eclipse_product_configurati.png
bulek
I prefer notepad++ or ultraedit. They are both great editors. Ultraedit is even a little bit better, but it's not free.
ftv_flung
I use and <3 Notepad++
catscratches
I use Notepad++ too.

I've tested UltraEdit when I was practicing at a place and I thought it was even nicer. But the difference wasn't so big that it was worth the price difference.
$0 vs. $49.95
paultjepotlood
I'm a professional PHP programmer and ik think Eclipse is the best. You can make projects and with Tortoise you add version control to your projects.
APtana has very good plugins for PHP and Javascript support and more.

PSPAD is also nice for some quick editing but not suitable for bigger projects because of the tabs used.
bulek
I use Notepad++. Ultraedit is a little bit better but there isn't big difference.
lsjohnson
I use emacs
militarist
microsoft expression web 2
dickerson
NuSphere PhpED is best.It updated PHP version. The package includes the latest stable version of PHP.It also support for php5 is added. Debugger module for php5-rc2 is included in the package.It updated documentation. PHP documentation is renewed and xhtml documentation is added.
chartcentral
In addition to my first answer more than two years ago, I also use Notepad++ as my PHP editor. I don't know if it's the best but I'm satisfied with it. It's good enough for me that I am not in want. Smile
dude_xyx
I remember I had used PhpED years ago before I have stared using Dreamweaver. It is simple but good editor. But with Dreamweaver you get more features and options to make your life easy when you working on a whole site project. Dreamweaver it bit pricey but the lalest versions work same as old versions so you can buy a old version if you want cheaper or less resource consuming option. I use Dreamweaver 2004 MX ( version 8 ) and also Dreamweaver CD4. Have never felt anything missing in old Version 8.
FunDa
I use Notepad++ for PHP, HTML, c++, almost all editing.

Haven't really tried out Dreamweaver or Ultraedit.

But since Notepad++ is free and pretty good, I'm gonna stick with it.