FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Doom: Knee Deep in the Dead

basementgamesltd
Hey all,

I've posted a few times here before on the literature forum, but I had to post another one of my favorites. Dafydd ab Hugh and Brad Linaweaver's "DOOM: Knee Deep In the Dead" is without a shade of doubt the best of DOOM-inspired fiction, surpassing even its three sequels. While admittedly unrealistic, the action is well paced, the narrative tense and suspenseful. It was interesting to observe how the writers attempted to expand the DOOM universe while staying true to its video-game roots as the game that really ignited the first-person-shooter genre.

The plot is simple and very much the same as the original game. Corporal Flynn Taggart "or 'fly'" is marooned on the moon of Phobos. Making the grisly discovery that his whole unit of marines has been slaughtered by hostile aliens while he stood guard outside the deserted Union Aerospace Corporation facility, Corporal Taggart must enter the facility not only to secure a way back to Earth but to uncover the cause behind this massacre. What he discovers is nothing less than chilling.

Written in the First Person Perspective, the style of the novel is reminscient of the original DOOM PC game, and with a rollicking narrative punctuated with both staccato bursts of gunfire and a generous dollop of light-hearted Sci-fi fantasy, "Knee Deep in The Dead" while not particularly deep is nevertheless a fantastic read with a wide and surprising emotional range-much unlike most other offerings in the genre-.
A fine book.

Keep it real................