FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Keyboard Language Problem with Windows XP SP2

infinisa
Hello Frihosters

I have a Portuguese keyboard on my portable, and when I recently reinstalled Windows (Windows XP SP2 in English) I removed the other keyboard languages that Windows installed (as I obviously have only one keyboard attached!).

However, Windows in its wisdom Wink insisted on reinstalling the US English keyboard, and every now and again the keyboard switches spontaneously to US English.

Of course I tried uninstalling the US English keyboard, but it does no good as Windows reinstalls it and the keyboard switching problem keeps recurring.

Does anyone have a solution to this irritating problem?
ftv_flung
You should be able to permanently remove the US keyboard....

Here's how:

On the taskbar, where the Language Bar should be located, right-click it and go to Properties or similar.
Uninstall/Remove US English from there, anything with US in it, or if it has US in a child directory.

That should solve it.
fadirocks
Press Alt+Shift to shift between keyboards Smile I would put on that language switcher Razz
infinisa
Hi Frihosters

ftv_flung - I've removed the US English keyboard several times. The problem is that it's not permanent, it keeps on reinstalling itself!

fadirocks - I have no problem shifting between keyboards; I just don't shouldn't have to, as I only have one! By the way, what's this Linux ID about? (I ask as a Linux enthusiast myself)

Thanks for your replies - please keep them coming!