FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

where to find free legal music downloads

utsav2707
where to find free legal music downloads with low bitrates.

i like the songs from many genres and also i am more interested in instrumental music.
so please give me some links to download songs.

and remember .low bitrates
legion
Thry the Internet Archive: www.archive.org. You should find something there Smile
Andrew426
Can I ask, Why do you want low bitrates?
CrimsonStrange
Another way to find some .mp3 downloads is to do some searching over at The Hype Machine.

Enter the name of a band/song in their search box and get a listing of any blog the site indexes that references or contains a download for that song.

(Read the full explanation about it.)

It's a sort of "music blog aggregator" that's designed to help people discover new music, but there's always lots of popular tunes available for download if you're willing to take a little time to read & follow links.

Idea I've found tons of good tunes from The Hype Machine.

As for finding MP3's in "low bitrates"... that's what they make audio conversion programs for. Wink

Happy Huntin'! Very Happy
froginabox
If you have Windows, a high speed internet connection, and don't mind only being able to listen to music on your computer, look up Ruckus. Its free and they have a lot of songs available to download, perfectly legal. The downside is you can only play things on your computer and not an iPod or other MP3 player. You also cannot burn songs on CD. But it is "free" music (paid for by advertising on the site).
catscratches
Well, IF the band you want to listen to provides free legal downloads of their songs then they usually link to them from their homepage, MySpace or PureVolume so always check there first. If you can't find anything there then other downloads that you find will propably not be legal (even though they might try to convince you they are).
Srs2388
LIMEWIRE PRO!! kidding.. it's really hard to find a legal free download where the song is yours... to where you can put it on a cd or ipod and listen to it in the car.
i guess you could try this.
go to youtube
look up the song... (if you find it)
download the video...
somehow convert the flash file to an mp3 and delete the video.
that could possibly work
GB
iTunes offers free downloads every week. I usually do that. Of course, you can't pick the songs, but it's worth checking out.
catscratches
Srs2388 wrote:
LIMEWIRE PRO!! kidding.. it's really hard to find a legal free download where the song is yours... to where you can put it on a cd or ipod and listen to it in the car.
go to youtube
download the video...
that could possibly work
He asked for a legal way...
takashiro
www.mtvtop.net
I usually go to mtvtop.net to search the music I want. However, the site is in Chinese. But there are lots of music in different languages.
doppleganger
one more site which u can check is http://www.wuzam.com

they have a lot of music downloads there, u can search for a song
Srs2388
catscratches i was kiddin Smile read the post.
SonLight
New songs and performances are likely to be restricted to online listening or downloading samples. Older material is likely to be available for free, but finding it is totally dependent on what type of music you're looking for. I would probably try searching for terms like blues, jazz, ragtime, hymns, bluegrass etc. if I wanted to find older music from that particular genre.

From the opening post, I gather the "low bitrate" is because of only having a dialup connection. I might suggest looking for some midi files, although I seldom find really polished arrangements that way.

A resource I like is Pandora, but they only let you listen online there and it requires both a fast connection to the internet and a reasonably new computer.
catscratches
Srs2388 wrote:
catscratches i was kiddin Smile read the post.
The YouTube version is also illegal.
KatanaSky
...a website I regularly frequent is http://www.soundclick.com/

It's a really cool community especially targeted towards musicians and listeners.

You can find everything from Beats/Instrumentals, pop, blues, metal, jazz, many other genres.

Myself, I still listen to the more popular/mainstream songs but when I'm feeling like I want to hear something new/different, I go there and just browse through different sections.

Most if not all music on there you are able to stream from the website ...but also many of users allow you to download their music to your PC for free.

You should check it out if you haven't come across it already.
Insanity
If you just want to listen to music, not just download it, there are plenty of streaming sites like Pandora, and radioblogclub that will let you listen to a large selection of music for free. If you're just looking to download, I would also recommend Ruckus; even though they have a smaller collection than say, iTunes, there are still plenty of songs to download. The catch of course, is that you can't burn onto CD or upload to your MP3 player. You would also need to download their specific audio player which can be annoying with plenty of advertisements. Oh yeah, and you need to be a college student, or someone with a .edu address.
darvit
I agree, Ruckus is a great legal place to download free music. Very Happy

Another well-kept secret is Multiply's music search. It's a nice way to share music with friends, family, and perhaps random people who happen to stumble upon your page via search. Just select "Music" from the drop-down menu and enter your search query. The only hitch: you must be a registered user in order to download [worth the "hassle", if you ask me! Razz]!
fastguitar99
uhh ever heard of file sharing or torrents?
Pkshields
Jamendo.com is cool as well. They arent any known artists but some bands with potential there
GB
Another place you can get free music is Magnatune.com. They have a free download every day. Can't say as I've ever gotten a real 5-star favorite there, but it is free. Don't think they have a low bitrate, though...
appsapps
Anyone looking for free legal music to download, the best suggestion I could possibly make is to join Last.fm and play the music you like that you already own, from your own collection. If you play enough of it, Last.fm will learn your tastes and recommend free downloads based on your listening history.

On the main page of the site, after you log in, at the bottom of the page, you'll find them.

To get the most from this site feature, Copy your personal free tracks RSS link from the bottom of that section and load it up in a podcast downloader, like Juice. Then go find something else to do for awhile while it's downloading them all.

After you come back, play them and be sure to scrobble them to Last.fm. Listening to the free tracks and scrobbling them, makes even more get added to your RSS feed.

Yeah, there will be stuff you probably won't like, but if you give it a chance, there will be plenty that you do like. If you find a track you like, visit the artist's last.fm page and see if they are offering more free tracks to download, there.

The free music you get from Last.fm might even change your taste in music. I discovered an entire genre I never knew existed, thanks to last.fm. (post-rock)

Most of the stuff they will offer to you is from unsigned bands and independent artists that might never get airplay on the radio. The artists give their music away in hopes to gain a fan base. Give them a chance and you might find that their stuff is better than the corporate produced crap on the radio. There is no big label stunting their artistic growth.

And don't worry about what country you are in. They don't have any restrictions or require paid accounts to scrobble what you already own, from your media player to their site. They also don't seem to have any country restrictions on the free downloads. They are even offered to people that don't even have Last.fm accounts, if they go to the individual song's page.

And to start you off, this is one of my favorite songs that I downloaded from Last.fm: Mehdi - Eastern Sunset
zimmer
utsav2707 wrote:

Really FREE music download? and legal?
darthrevan
Srs2388 wrote:
go to youtube
download the video...
that could possibly work

I wouldn't call this legal anyway. You didn't pay for the song, essentially you are just ripping the music from the video
william
I know this is an old thread, but I figured this is still relevant. I have legally obtained about 1000 songs for free from Amazon MP3. How? Well, they give out free promotional credits all the time, ranging from $1.00-$5.00. Combine that with their regular $1.99 and $5.00 album sales and you can accumulate hundreds of songs in no time. It's not low bit-rate (256 kbps VBR for the most part, which I'm honestly glad for), but it is the one surefire legal way of getting free music.
setfirework
Definitely have a look at grooveshark.com you can find pretty much any song you are looking for and can make a playlist. Its my new go to player, since seeqpod hasnt been running. its probably honestly better than any other site you listed in terms of user-friendliness, not that those are bad sites. No downloads necessary or anything. Im not affiliated with the site, Im just a fan and I think you guys might like it. I have no idea how this can be legal though!
chartcentral
Andrew426 wrote:
Can I ask, Why do you want low bitrates?

He's probably trying to save hard disk space. So he's cool with low bitrates despite its lower quality.
nepalstar
utsav2707 wrote:

i like the songs from many genres and also i am more interested in instrumental music.
so please give me some links to download songs.

and remember .low bitrates

Just Google it, you can find huge list of sites where you can download musics...!
hakaner
Most of the songs you can download for free on Soundcloud.
catscratches
Yes and no. The fault is at the one who uploaded the video. They're the ones breaking the law, not the one who streams it.
Radar
I'm also wondering why low bitrates would be a requirement. Surely converting them after the fact would be fine.

Maybe the search is for music intentionally made to have low bitrates, in some sort of midi fashion, but why would you do that?
medesignz
I work in the music industry and have been trying to convince musicians to start giving away their music for free.

I have had a mixed response... Mainly a barrage of hate, but I like their passion
fuzzkaizer
found some articles about some very interesting music, so i tried some links of this thread and ended up loading down the music-album i was looking for for 5,-
if there is a way to get to music, for me it has to be available spontaneously. if they demand five registrations and three logins, i'm out, that's too complicated, i have neither the time nor the nerve for that...
moncong
wow thanks everyone its help a lot Very Happy

time to start searching music Laughing
medesignz
moncong wrote:

I may get a slap on the butt for this, but this is a section in my blog that allows free downloads http://www.librerock.com/category/free-downloads/
sysna
Actually most bands/singers release some of their singles to be downloaded for free on their official website or itunes.
jajathanja
In your head where it's free 24/7 and you can be rest assured of any consequential lawsuits as the result of you just purely enjoying that super sweet tune.... oh yeah! (this sentence started of with the Cranberries 'Zombie' and ended with James Brown "I feel good' if you care for a rewind) Laughing
fuzzkaizer
medesignz wrote:
moncong wrote:

I may get a slap on the butt for this, but this is a section in my blog that allows free downloads http://www.librerock.com/category/free-downloads/

you should rather get a patting on your shoulder instead, even if it wasen't what you wanted... looks like a good initative!
75alex
If you like stuff like Deep House, lots of awesome releases are free to download from the producer's facebook page ! If you're interested i can give you a few names Wink
medesignz
fuzzkaizer wrote:
you should rather get a patting on your shoulder instead, even if it wasen't what you wanted... looks like a good initative!
I appreciate the appreciation Smile
alvarorojas4
In LastFM there are some free mp3's and Legal, also in Bandcamp...
Radar
Start searching for Creative Commons, and things appear fairly quickly. The only trouble becomes searching for music that you're interested in after that.