FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How computer affect your health?

How many hours you're facing your computer everyday?
Less than 1 hour
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
1 to 2 hours
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
3 to 4 hours
17%
 17%  [ 11 ]
5 to 6 hours
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
7 to 8 hours
17%
 17%  [ 11 ]
9 to 10 hours
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
11 to 12 hours
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
more than 12 hours
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 63

cvkien
i am advance in computer. i do graphic design and video and sound editing and web page design plus i am a it technician, i repair computer and so, my total time facing my computer and also other's computer is around 8-12 hours a day. sometimes more than that. so, my friends claim that their vision quality in decrease because of sitting in front of the computer for too long. but for me, i am still ok for everything except some minor pain in my back. that it. others are fine. so how about you?

How computer affect your health? Why and is there any proof??
bigdan
The ways I can think of at this time would be:

- Weight gain, from not doing enough excerise, sitting in front of your machine for too long and eating a lot...also leads to diabetes, and so on...
- Bad back, from not sitting properly at your desk.
- Damage to your eyesight from not setting up your monitor at eye level.

I'm sure there are other factors as well.
MeddlingMonk
There's a few other things you can do to your health, too, if you're not careful. RSI (repetitive strain injury) is one; ie. for your wrists, continuous mouse movements or a sequence of keys could cause this (I would suspect this is more common in gamers, though).

A similar thing can happen to your eyes, too. If your eyesight isn't perfect (and sometimes even if it is), then prolonged computer use can actually cause them to overwork continuously for quite a while, leading to tension headaches and focusing problems.

You can, however, take steps to reduce possible damage to your health (most of these are simple things). Good posture, for example. Taking short breaks every hour or so is also a good idea. A monitor that isn't fuzzy or harsh on the eyes is also a good idea. Apparently, flat screens are also better for your eyes than older curved screens.
crimson_aria
I use the computer for almost the whole day when it's school break. When it's not, about 5-7 hours.

I sleep less because of computer. Guess my eyesight too.. though I don't want to blame it on my computer screen, because my eyesight's been poor even before. That's all I can think of for now.
rvbarreto
I believe that another problem is that using the computer you dont go out to take some sun.
The solar radiation is very important to us, is helps to sintetises D vitamin, wich one is very importate to the bones. Womans, who has bones disseases more then mens, needs solar radiation.

Solar radiations are important too for our skin. Of course that, if excess, it could give you some kind of cancer, or other disseases, but no sun is bad.

When things are going bad here and I must spend all the day long in front of the computer, I always spend my little breakes under the sun. Its good, and gives you some collor Very Happy
Chalchihuitlicue
I spend a lot of time in front of my computer... I'm a Game Art student, so I do a lot of artwork on the computer (mostly in Illustrator). My computer is my primary mode of communication with friends, and since I lack the money to buy consoles to play games on, I tend to play PC games. All in all, I spend more than half of my waking hours in front of a computer, unless it's a day where I work a full shift at my retail job.

I haven't really noticed it affecting my health very much, because I have so many health issues to begin with. Yeah, I don't go outside that much, but not using the computer probably wouldn't change that. I have incredibly pale skin and get sunburned really quickly, so I prefer to stay indoors and out of the sun as much as possible. Besides that, I have a lot of tendon and joint problems, so physical activity is kept to a minimum for me anyway, regardless of computer usage.
heartbeat
I think you should Start practicing some fysical activity to straighten and harden our back. Yoga will do that for you in less than 6 months if you practice for one hour twice a week. In a world so far from the things that stimulate the animal nature of the human condition it is good to practice yoga, we are animals and we can only be happy and healthy if we exercise and Yoga is the oldest exercise on earth 5000years+ . It is the most perfect exercise because it has been developed through thousands of years in order to get our body and therefore mind in the most healthier condition.
heartbeat
Chalchihuitlicue: YOga would be great for you but you have to be counscious and start softly, also do you eat a lot of dairy products like milk etc? my wife used to have big knee problems she couldnt jum her ankles would hurt so much she would cry, 3 months after she gave up dairy products she can run jump etc! no pain at all. The best for our bones is not milk, indeed! the best are Alghaes and dry fruits and seeds. Milk has a lot of calcium but is to acidic, it dissolves the calcium from the inside of the bones and leaves it on the ends thats why so many people with osteoporosis also have bone beaks..
russel26
my eyes pain if always looking the computer.. so i rest my eyes if have a break..
znapetz
Yes the Pc can make bad to health , my eyes is not so good and also a have a LCD monitor, is some days my eyes i fell very bad pains, and if i no take a pils the pains persiste,just pe carefull and do not stay more then 5-6 hours per day and all will be fine,

Znapetz.
melissareich
The computer really affects my health greatly. It's really bad for your health unfortunately. Why does something so fun have such negative effects Crying or Very sad ?

Anyway, I generally spend 7-8 hours a day on a regular basis. As for my weekends and days off of school: all day. 9 AM (sometimes 10-11 AM depending how long I stayed up the following night) to about 1-2 AM in the morning.

I shouldn't be on this long, but I am a procrastinator. See, I could be off the computer in about 3-4 hours and complete my tasks I need finished, but however, I visit other sites while doing what I need to be doing and it never gets done. Which is why I continually stay on. Other than that, I just enjoy the computer and I find nothing else more interesting.

I have a T.V. right by me as well, so it's kind of like all together for me. The only thing I find bad about this is that I don't exercise as much as I should. I don't eat a lot while on the computer, it's the "not moving" that gets me. On top of that I have a slow metabolism.

Sucks, but I continue to do it... Wink
Flakky
I have 5% of body weight
I got no pain issues
I got a clear eyesight
I use the computer a lot. I never counted but I will do it Smile
filet
My vision does affect and i usually have at least twice a year eye check up. especially im using computer 8-9 hours everyday-i guess because of the glaring + rays from computer screen . besides im wearing spectacles and sometimes my eyes do get a bit dry.
Guelila
I think my vision is steadily decreasing...
my eyes go all blurry from time to time nowadays.. Confused
and I think sitting down for long times in front of your computer affects your growth... im not sure but i think so..
crystalami
I probably falls under the 1- hour catagory. Confused
Flakky
Guelila wrote:
I think my vision is steadily decreasing...
my eyes go all blurry from time to time nowadays.. Confused
and I think sitting down for long times in front of your computer affects your growth... im not sure but i think so..
Though I am almost 1.95 m and still growing Smile
TBSC
I do probably 3-4 hours on average a day. Some days less than that, some days a little more.

So, I wonder which is healthier, 5 hours of computer time a day or 5 hours of TV time?

Probably computer!

Tips:

One: Place the screen at eye level. Prop it up with a stack of books if you have to, but this will improve your posture and reduce eye strain.

Two: Look at something far away, and out the window for a few minutes to relieve eye strain.
xanarulz
Geez I probably fall under the, uh 1 hour at school + 3-11PM, so thats what 9 hours a day on a SCHOOL day, and all day from 11AM-2AM on Saturdays so ya I spend a heck of a lot of time online! As for problems I already have glasses (not due to sitting in front of the screen all day) and a bit back problems (carrying a freaking heavy 20lbs backpack or god knows how much more over a mile everyday), but as for problems from the computer, I don't have any. I not overweight (actually I am under), I do tend to get up and stretch between long stretches.
icecool
bigdan wrote:

- Weight gain, from not doing enough excerise, sitting in front of your machine for too long and eating a lot...also leads to diabetes, and so on...

yep, that about sums it up.

i also have found that my feet are swelling up the more i sit still. loss of body tone and rsi - no matter how high i set my chair setting some part of my body is not in an ideal position.
HealingHands5
It has been proven, and there are studies been conducted, to validate this prognosis, that prolong usage of the computer; has resulted in many medical conditions; one of the most common is known as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. This is where the wrist begins to develop arthritic-like symptoms do to the stress placed on the wrists when using the keyboard. For this reason, many computer manufacturers, have begun to invest a great amount of capital in peripherals that are ergonomically designed; such as: mice, workstations, footrests, chairs, anti-glare screens, keyborads, etc to prevent this disease.

Please see the website below for more info. Happy reading. and good luck.

http://www.ergotron.com/Portals/0/literature/whitePapers/english/ERGONOMIC_FACTORS.pdf
yushaayush
Well after some sitting..i start getting some pain in the shoulder...the right one from which i operate my mouse.so i suppose i have to change my sitting position....
Mgmartin
Im getting pain in my shoulders and legs Shocked and gettin headache
pollux1er
Me i am getting pain on my back, a serious hot pain momentaneously.
trekkie2008
Im on the computer so much that my Mom says its her turn! I spend so much time on this thing that I have to wear glasses now! Razz
doppleganger
i think due to excess usage its the eyes, the back and overall body that gets affected
redace
cvkien wrote:
i am advance in computer. i do graphic design and video and sound editing and web page design plus i am a it technician, i repair computer and so, my total time facing my computer and also other's computer is around 8-12 hours a day. sometimes more than that. so, my friends claim that their vision quality in decrease because of sitting in front of the computer for too long. but for me, i am still ok for everything except some minor pain in my back. that it. others are fine. so how about you?

I have no problems with my helath caused by sitting in front of my computer, because I'm trying to relax every two hours and not to sit there whole 12 hours. I´m trying to do some sport too. But time will show, I am young:)
SpellcasterDX
I probably fall in the 3-4 hour range. On weekends it's probably more like 6-8.

Yea it is a bit much, but it's not as bad as some people. As for problems, well, sometimes my eyes do start to hurt, in which case I take a break. Otherwise, I'm fine. I try to sit up straight, but when I take my mind off it, I start slumping again. Haha. I need to work on that.
biljap
At the beginning I didn’t feel anything bad but computer definitely affects your health! I have to work on computer every day and if you don’t take regular breaks and if you or your computer is not in the right position, if you don’t feel comfortable… your back start to heart. Watching monitor for too long causes your eyes to heart or you get a headache! Though, this depends of the monitor. Sometimes I don’t have problems at all but sometimes, if monitor is old, I feel like I’m looking straight at the Sun! And if you time for a long time… your fingers and elbow start to hurt…
Just be sure to take breaks, set everything in comfortable position and do some workout, go to fresh air, and relax your eyes… Then it is OK.
Tempesto
wth? people voted 12+ hours...
Anyways the longer your on the computers the tireder you get, your eyes need rest. Also you tend to eat more. + Gain weight since your not being active and are sitting down.
redchic
more than 12. i'm in the IT field and spend waaay to much time sitting behind one and then there is still stuff to do from home. it's affected my health in that i'm not as active as i used to be and have gained some weight as a result and the early effects of carpel tunnel
imera
I sit a lot on the computer, but I don't have any problems with it, mostly because I don't only sit in one position and I also do other things besides the computer, like drawing or taking care of my little brother and so on.
My eyes is pretty bad, people is shocked to hear how bad also Razz but half of that is before I started with computers, so it's not to blame. And if the screen is to bright then I turn the light down, or put more light in my room. And I also move my wrists a lot and also my body, I am strong because of all my siblings, so I am active even if I sit a lot on the computer.

I have problems with my feet, but those problems does not come from sitting to long, it's because I have always had weak knees, and my weight has staid the same for over five years, even if I am active or not.

Some people is easier affected by sitting long in one position while others isn't that much
karrupin
bigdan wrote:

I'm agree with these actually. I'm having these sort of symptoms when I face the computer for more than 11 hours almost everyday.. and also my wrist, sometimes it suddenly numb or become very painful. I was quite worry, so I stop playing computer er.. actually I only lesser my time facing the computer. . i guess my health getting better when I lesser down my time with my computer..
flowerpower
I work at my computer during the day and I have to admit that I have some bad habits like uncomfortable sitting position. Some colleague told me lately to stop sitting like that or else I'm going to have horrible back pains like he did. Since then, I tried to sit correctly. One or more times, I had headaches at the end of the day. One advice that I could give is try to make small walks some 1hr or so - see some colleague, find something to photocopy (lol, any excuse). Just to relax your stiff muscles Wink The age of technology has its drawbacks as everything. I read sometime ago, that some computer related injuries can be severe. Well, I forgot the correct phrase for that.
outofnicks
You really need a good chair if you will be spending a lot of time at the computer. I have a regular old office chair on wheels and the cushion is pretty hard so I'm starting to feel it in the posterior. I've tried one of the backless computer chairs with a knee brace and found it to be kind of wierd but I suppose I could get used to it if I had one. I think I need some kind of pad that takes the pressure off the middle of my butt, or off the butt entirely. I've tried various pillows with some success but the best thing I can do is get up off the chair every few minutes and do something physical, like split firewood or just do stretching exercises for a few minutes.
talkingtree
hummm i rkn computer kinda screwed up myself.. instead of going out to play sports i just stay home and play games all day. instead of going shopping, i just browse ebay and click the buy button.

but you can also say it brought me a new life as it allowed me to talk to random people like you and me with similar interests. even though you and i had never met each other before and we are all from different countries.

computer also opened up another method of communication rather then the traditional phone and envelope. i'm now able to msn with my school friends anytime rather then concerning some random pricks would pick up the phone and say he/she's not here
saratdear
I did use the computer a lot, and still do. There haven't been any problem in terms of weight gain, because I never look fat, just lean. Sad In terms of eyesight loss though, there have been problems. My spectacles power went up after spending a lot of time on the PC, and so I am trying to cut out the PC time.

And headaches..I do get them, after spending particularly long hours without rest, for example, when I've discovered a new game I like or something. Smile
watersoul
I haven't been spending much time on my computer lately because of life things going on (see minus points)
but sometimes I have got aches in my back and legs because I use a laptop and although I know I shouldn't, I sit in really awkward positions for ages and not on ergonomically designed chairs and desks!
...hope i learn a lesson before i damage something long term Wink
hiquality
Computer health issues should make you consider investing more money into mouse and keyboard rather than in performance parts.It's bad that we don't think more about this and we don't promote this so that teenagers ,who don't care about health but playing the latest games , enjoy a healtier experience when staying at the computer

Remember RSI is real!
Guelila
Im starting to have back problems and I hae this tingly feeling that its due to all the time I spend sitting on my chair in front of my computer...
I really neet to get up and stretch from time to time cause my back hurts like crazy.

before it used to hurt me only when Ive been sitting down fore over 2 hours, but now the pain is constant, even in my sleep.
Im not sure why my back is hurting, but I still blame my computer Confused
iyepes
I don't think that computer is affecting my health, I think is working too many hours what has done it.
Boffel
Well I think I sit there at least 9+ hours every day the days Im on school.

Because im constant on the computer at school (8 hours), and at least 1 hour home.

Often perhaps 8 hours at school and 4 home, it depends on the weather and if I have something important to do on the computer.

Because i'm a modeler, animator, coder and designer I have allot to do on the computer.

But I like sports too, so I would say half of the day goes to the computer and the other half to sport like soccer +++.

So my health is good, but I sometimes have pain in my back because of the bad chair I have home on my room.

But my head is still ok, thanks to the HD window Wink

Im sure that I would be allot more healthy without the computer, but I would still have allot less to do without it. And its really lovely to relax in front of the computer after playing soccer Very Happy
wimpel2
I love play on the computer, i make website's, design etc.
I love to help people with websites
rshanthakumar
There is a prediction that the future evolution of human beings could be around the computer. He really does not need his legs much. As a matter of fact, legs are a discomfort when you work on the computer. Eyes are important but then you are not in a position to see what is behind you. So over a period of time, human beings might develop a third eye some where behind!!

Watch out evolution will soon take over!
c'tair
3-4 hours per day, and that is mostly browsing the web in search of ebooks or tutorials, working around in Photoshop and doing my school work. I only play once every week or two, don't have time, have a girlfriend =P.

I only experience some back pains or shoulder pains, and that is all. My eyesight is great, Im pretty tanned (although that's my skin, I tan easily) and am pretty fit. Maybe this is all because I see the computer as a great tool (maybe one of the greatest available to any person), not as another world. MMORPG's don't get me, a good game will take my time, but it has to be good and GRAB my time (like Hearts of Iron 2, played a few hours... two weeks ago and can't get a free moment to play again =( ).

Anyways, Ill try to repair my posture problems, cause I think it's the fault of sitting too long in the wrong position.
vineeth
Computers affects health, if not used properly. The major problems I have noticed are

1. Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
This is caused by compression of a nerve called median nerve which passes through the centre of our forearm and wrist to our hand which gets compresses on the keyboard while we type for long time. This produces severe pain and other symptoms. To avoid this, always give rest to your arm between every 30 minutes or so. Use ergonomic keyboards.

2. Eye strain
Replace your old monitor with a LCD display. Always use it on the same or a bit below the level of your eyes.
justtj
'm spending around > 12 a day on computers and still no effect on health Very Happy
vvforgs
It has been proven, and there are studies been conducted, to validate this prognosis, that prolong usage of the computer; has resulted in many medical conditions; one of the most common is known as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. This is where the wrist begins to develop arthritic-like symptoms do to the stress placed on the wrists when using the keyboard. For this reason, many computer manufacturers, have begun to invest a great amount of capital in peripherals that are ergonomically designed; such as: mice, workstations, footrests, chairs, anti-glare screens, keyborads, etc to prevent this disease.

Please see the website below for more info. Happy reading. and good luck.

That's my ideas
Crinoid
Quote:

Hmm, requiring proof from other people, instead of providing it itself, as a support for own statement... Should it be certified by authorities? In how many copies? Laughing

While staying away from being the subject of this treatment ( Surprised ), I had eye sign drop after increasing intensity of working with computer (artwork, not professional) and doing research. 6 hours daily seems to be a borderline. Other people in the family had much more drastic eye sight drop (to -4.5D and -1.5D) starting from the high school and middle of university. Genetically predisposed? Maybe, but no one from relatives from both sides had impaired eye sign in the minus zone, age-relates minor changes only.

Interesting thing, that another relative, computer technician, has no changes in the health, apart from staying on feet all the day, day after day, and heavy lifting, and skin damage from cleaning fluids. Maybe because the significant part of time he is not doing precise drawings on the screen or have to concentrate on written on the screen for hours, trying to process as much information as possible, as fast as possible. Much more actual repairs and contacts with people, with some typing in between, while testing or installation is in process. I know his speed of working with computer while browsing Internet, times less than mine, and the two eye-impaired are times faster, than me - as if we are living in a different time perception, like mices and cats.

I (and the two from the above with loss of eye sign) have red eyes on a regular basis, Visine doesn't help, only frequent relaxation of the eyes in complete darkness.

Joints (or ligaments and muscles, who knows) pain after working with mouse. Tried all ergonomic tricks and most of available groups of mice and mouse pads, wrist supports (price independent), with no positive results. Ended with using tablet, instead on mouse, trackball or pen. All arm is involved, not just wrist.

But again, could be genetic predisposition, not at the degree of becoming a medical condition, but pain is regular and strong, and requires limiting activities, inducing it, or find the way around.

Tiredness, headache: much more, than after working with printed material. I would equalize a week of the research in the library (scientific) to a couple of days of the search online. Fastness of receiving the sources? Maybe.

Difficult topic. Proof or not proof, each of affected has to deal with it on it's own, words of reasoning are not reducing pain. Neither are the physicians and eye specialists. I had impression, that as long as I'm stronger, than the my physician - I'm healthy, and if I'm still able to see more than the biggest letters of the testing table, I shouldn't bother the eye specialists. My luck with medical profession? Maybe.
Again, no proof, but a lot of impressions. Laughing
kristine
10 hrs. facing the computer hurts my eyes.Every time my eyes hurt and gets teary I relax my eyes by closing it for about 5mins.
slashlu
COMPUTER GAMES LET US WASTE SOME TIME,THIS IS BIG PROBLEM
Cddhesh
I am a software engg. So i am always in front of PC.It affects my health, i know my Eyes become heavy.These days i take great care of my eyes, Sleep More and ride Bicyle ,walk etc etc.
Well i use LCD screen therefore it doesent effects much.
vvforgs
The computer really affects my health greatly. It's really bad for your health unfortunately. Why does something so fun have such negative effects ?

Anyway, I generally spend 7-8 hours a day on a regular basis. As for my weekends and days off of school: all day. 9 AM (sometimes 10-11 AM depending how long I stayed up the following night) to about 1-2 AM in the morning.

I shouldn't be on this long, but I am a procrastinator. See, I could be off the computer in about 3-4 hours and complete my tasks I need finished, but however, I visit other sites while doing what I need to be doing and it never gets done. Which is why I continually stay on. Other than that, I just enjoy the computer and I find nothing else more interesting.

I have a T.V. right by me as well, so it's kind of like all together for me. The only thing I find bad about this is that I don't exercise as much as I should. I don't eat a lot while on the computer, it's the "not moving" that gets me. On top of that I have a slow metabolism.

Sucks, but I continue to do it...
ssthanapati
I got RSI as i wasent careful... Just be careful while using the computer... It can be really painful. I wasent able to move my wrists for about a week... Luckily i was cured.
kerryworkman
I started doing this new thing recently. I work on computers alot, and I am always sitting. So everytime the computer pisses me off, has to install, needs to download something, or is just being slow I do a little workout (15 pushups, 25 sit-ups, 100 jumping jacks, running in place, whatever, it depends on how much space you have and what tools you have at your disposal). It may seem a little dumb but I have lost like 10 lbs, my body stopped aching soo much, and alot less stress. Plu,s if you get bored easily or tend to zone out alot, it gets you going and focused again, so you are actually more productive and feeel alot better at the same time.